The Vengeance of Angels: Legion Praetor Complete 11/10/18

Spaced Hulk

• 3 weeks later...

A bit of progress:

First of all, WIP Rangdan Veterans:

http://i1372.photobucket.com/albums/ag344/mat_at/30K%20Dark%20Angels/CIMG8859_zpsetpoowmf.jpg

Still need to do a bit of highlighting and their tactical markings/iconography. I've used gold trim on their armour to denote their veteran status, and to mark the fact that they're all survivors of one of the most costly campaigns in the First Legion's history.

Next up, the first five nearly completed Tactical Marines (just need to finish all their squad markings and bases):

med_gallery_917_12097_121030.jpg

And finally (because it seems I can never have enough unpainted models that are waiting to be painted :blush.: ), a newly built and named Despoiler Squad Sergeant:

med_gallery_917_12097_646463.jpg

Tomas Mathias, Squad Sergeant,

Cader-12 Despoiler Squad

Seventh Chapter of the First Host

Ordination of the Firewing

The Dark Angels Legion

med_gallery_917_12097_316580.jpgmed_gallery_917_12097_63686.jpg

Thanks for the kind words and likes everyone! :smile.:

@ DarKnight: Cheers mate! Mathias is also my entry to a painting comp over in the DA forum, and I'm actually planning two fluff articles for him: a data-file style one (similar to the one I've already done for Chaplain Acheron) for this thread and a piece of fiction to accompany the competition entry.

@ Brother Pheidias: Thanks brother! Given the sheer scale of the Heresy, I'm sure there's justification for having a DA allied contingent to accompany your White Scars :wink:

@ teutonicavenger: Thanks mate :thumbsup:. The black is really simple to be honest: Chaos Black undercoat, a base coat of Abaddon Black, a heavy Nuln Oil wash over the whole model, followed by multiple very thin coats of Abaddon Black and/or Raven Black (a Minitaire paint that has a more grey finish than Abaddon). I think multiple thin coats is probably the best advice I can give, as black always seems to fade (especially as you add other colours to the model). I don't consider myself to be a particularly good painter (table-top standard is all I aim for) and there are certainly far better examples of black power armour here on the B&C, but it's good enough for me.

@ Hrolf the Cunning: Cheers mate, I always try to make each marine (even the rank and file) appear as individual as possible. The robed legs are from a company called Spellcrow. They do robed torsos as well, but I really like how the Anvil Industries version combines with them.

@ Rangaman: Thanks mate! I'm actually really pleased with how Sergeant Mathias turned out, he's probably my favourite model in the army at the moment. Still just a sergeant at this point though :smile.:. This is how he compares to the other squad sergeants I've built so far:

med_gallery_917_12097_303600.jpg

From left to right: Bladesworn Veteran Srg, Rangdan Survivor Srg, Tactical Squad Srg and Despoiler Srg (now undercoated).

I think they're all fairly dynamic really. Just means I'll have to push myself a bit more when I'm building HQ models! :smile.:

@ rendingon1+: Cheers mate! :smile.: If it helps, my fluff for Mathias is that he survives the heresy and becomes the first Chapter Master of my Unforgiven Successor Chapter (which can be found over in the DA forum).

Another small update today:

Finished the five tactical marines. (Apologies for the huge pic, I wanted to try to show the tactical markings)

gallery_917_12097_25754.jpg

med_gallery_917_12097_229283.jpg med_gallery_917_12097_276085.jpg

As you can see, the freehand is still a bit rough and ready, but if I give in to my OCD and keep working on it, I know I'll never get anything finished. Working on the next batch now to get the squad up to ten man.

I've also been experimenting to see if I can build Assault Marines out of the BaC models. Here are my first two attempts:

med_gallery_917_12097_337474.jpg

med_gallery_917_12097_66895.jpg med_gallery_917_12097_180608.jpg

Cheers guys! :smile.: There are no metallic paints involved, but looking metallic was actually the result I was aiming for, so that's encouraging! :smile.:

I started with a Chaos Black undercoat followed by a base coat of Raven Black. As I mentioned above, that's a paint by a Minitaire which has quite a light, almost greyish finish. I then built up the colour with multiple thin washes of Abaddon Black diluted with Lahmian Medium (about a 50/50 mix). So in effect I started with a light colour and then used shades to darken it down. It's a technique I've used with other colours but never with black before, and I'm quite pleased with the result, as it seems to give it a really reflective quality.

A bit more progress on some of the other base colours:

med_gallery_917_12097_8124.jpg

That guy is a pimp!!! Where is his helmet from???

They're from Forge World's Dark Angels Legion Head Upgrade. Some sweet helms in that particular set, been thinking about ordering one myself for some of my projects.

Very nice work on this guy, Spaced Hulk. Love his posing, paint scheme is brilliant too.

Cheers guys, appreciate the kind words! :thumbsup:

Ok, so technically Sergeant Mathias is finished :smile.:

med_gallery_917_12097_290972.jpg

med_gallery_917_12097_1037649.jpgmed_gallery_917_12097_572938.jpg

However, I'm having second thoughts about the black chest plate. Although I really like the reflective finish, I'm wondering if it's a bit too plain compared to the rest of the armour, ie: a big black area surrounded by all the silver, gold and red details. On other space marine torso's there are usually details (aquila's, iconography, power cables etc) which break up this central area, but this particular DA torso is unadorned in that sense (which to be honest is why I chose it in the first place).

So what I'm considering is painting the central plate on the chest (the most raised one) silver, which would break up the black and also probably make the torso appear a bit chunkier and more 3D again. However, like I said, I do like the current finish on the breast plate so I'm a bit hesitant to repaint it, especially as it might not be that easy to achieve that black reflective quality again.

Any thoughts? Advice or suggestions will be most welcome :smile.:

Archived