The Vengeance of Angels: Legion Praetor Complete 11/10/18

Spaced Hulk

Cheers brothers, glad you like him! :smile.:

I've had a couple of people ask recently how I paint black armour, so I thought I'd attempt to write a short tutorial explaining the process. Now, I'm going to preface this by saying that I don't consider myself to be a particularly good painter, and that I'm sure there are far better recipes for painting black out there. However, I do really like the black armour I'm getting now, and as it's really quite a simple effect to achieve, some of you may find this useful.

First of all, you need three paints, and a pretty big brush (I use a battered old Size 5 brush, which drinks paint from my pallet like it's been wandering through a desert and suddenly found a pub :smile.:, but it gives quick and easy coverage for large areas).

med_gallery_917_12798_608235.jpg

The Citadel paints I'm sure everyone is familiar with, but the Minitaire Raven Black might be new to you. I came across it by watching some of TemplarCrusade01's videos on You Tube, and thought it was worth a look. It's an airbrush paint that works fine with a brush, and it's easy enough to find on ebay for a reasonably cheap price (about

Good tutorial dude!

I've recently found FW's Corvus black to be spot on, and to use a nuln oil wash lightly into the recesses to create that pop between the cold black and the darker black.

I hope you show how you do those quasi urban bases, I'm currently searching to do some for my Sons of Horus totally loyal space marine legion....

@ Reyner, Legio Draconis & cypher226: Thanks brothers, glad the tutorial is useful! :smile.:

@ depthcharge12: Cheers mate, I'll have to try out FW's Corvus Black :smile.: The bases are pretty straight forward: chunks of cork with a mix of sand and small gravel glued over the top to create texture, undercoated with the rest of the model (which helps the sand etc adhere better), then a good coat of Mechanicum Standard Grey, a dry brush of Dawnstone and then finally a heavy black wash.

@ betrayer41: Thank you mate, and welcome to the Dark Side! :thumbsup: Conversely, your awesome metallic-grey Wolves are seriously tempting me to add a VI Legion Watch Pack to my army :wink:

Unfortunately not much progress this week, so I'll just add this teaser for my current painting project :wink:

med_gallery_917_11568_995558.jpg

So traitor, you think you can run? You think you can hide? You think you can escape retribution for your crimes?

You are gravely mistaken, son of Nostromo. We are the First Legion, the Angels of Death, the true Knight Lords of the Imperium. Wherever you flee, wherever you hide, we will find you, and we will have our vengeance.

So Depthcharge's squad of SoH Seekers has inspired me to start building a new unit for my Dark Angels.

The Forsaken, First Legion Seeker Squad, Slayers of Beast and Monstrosity

gallery_917_12575_1714278.jpg

gallery_917_12575_972250.jpg

gallery_917_12575_295038.jpg

My thinking is that these units were influenced by the knightly orders of Caliban and their quests against the Great Beasts, which would translate into squads of dedicated hunters that would specifically target the most important and dangerous elements of an opposing army. Unlike snipers or recon squads who would keep their targets at a distance, the Forsaken would actively hunt down their prey, deploying directly into enemy lines (either by drop pod, airbourne insertion or an armoured spearhead), which is why they're equipped with Mark III armour to give them as much protection as possible. The cloaks and hoods are not for camouflage, but are an honour marking derived from the questing knights of Caliban.

Cheers brothers, glad you like 'em! :thumbsup:

@ Charlo: The heads are from a company called Spellcrow. They also do the robed legs and chainmail tabards I've used on some of my other models.

Haven't felt like painting this week, so built a few more models instead:

The Forsaken, First Legion Seeker Squad

gallery_917_12575_1238687.jpg

Eventually I'll probably add at least another 3 Seekers, but at least they're a legal unit now. Here are a few close ups of the new models:

Sergeant

med_gallery_917_12575_72135.jpg med_gallery_917_12575_422168.jpg

As they're a squad designed to hunt HQs and large monsters, I thought a power fist would be a useful investment, and it also helps to make the srg a bit more imposing. Unlike the other Forsaken, his cloak is also lined with the pelt of a great beast of Caliban (a memento of his time as a squire of the Order :smile.: ).

med_gallery_917_12575_1184638.jpg med_gallery_917_12575_1045093.jpg

In addition to the cloaks, hoods and Umbra Ferrox bolters, I wanted a few more unifying elements in the unit, to reinforce both their battle field role and the idea that they're a particularly close knit brotherhood. For example, everyone but the sergeant (there wasn't really room on him due to his pose, and the power fist would make a manual reload awkward :wink: ) has Scorpius rounds mag-locked to their armour somewhere, ready to be hand loaded into their bolters for a suitable target.

med_gallery_917_12575_141947.jpg med_gallery_917_12575_526261.jpg

Every member of the Forsaken also has an Oath of Moment attached to a ring on their right pauldron. My thinking is that this represents the 'Marked for Death' special rule, eg: a written oath of the particular enemy that they have sworn to destroy. Incidentally, they're called the Forsaken for two reasons, firstly because they have forsaken the honour of fighting with a blade in order to more efficiently execute their chosen target, and secondly because (like the knights of Caliban before them), they're prepared to venture into the most hostile and forsaken enemy territory to hunt their prey.

Finally, I've also built a new sergeant to lead the Ironclad Veterans:

gallery_917_12575_792780.jpg

Although it's a completely different pose, he's very loosely based on the classic Dark Angels Sergeant from 2nd Edition. In game terms he's also pretty heavily equipped: Calibanate Warblade, Artificer Armour, Plasma Pistol & Bolt Pistol. However, I think he's also a legal build (ignoring the extra pistol :smile.: ) for both Betrayal at Calth and Burning of Prospero, which was one of my aims when I started building the Ironclad Veteran squad.

med_gallery_917_12575_989542.jpg med_gallery_917_12575_228426.jpg

Cheers mate :thumbsup: Yeah, I've always thought the bare heads from the Sternguard kit were some of the most characterful in the whole range.

So, the news from the Weekender has resulted in a couple of changes to my plans for the army. First of all it turns out that the homemade campaign I'd been using as the background for my army - the siege of the renegade forgeworld of Sarum - is actually going to be covered in Angelus. It's too early to say at the moment, but I reckon it's highly likely that Sarum will be a First Legion battle (along with Thramas obviously). Of course, this is just a complete coincidence :smile.:. Basically when I began planning this army, I started looking for ideas for a Heresy campaign that the First Legion could potentially have been involved with, and I really liked the background of the Golgothan Slaughter/Siege of Sarum from Betrayal. While it's really cool that Forgeworld may have had the same idea, it does make me much more cautious about writing background that will probably be invalidated when Book 8 is released. So fluff updates may be on hold for a while until I decide how I want to proceed.

Secondly, there was this picture:

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t272/m_r_parker/Events/HH%20Weekender%202017/B579CDAB-A25F-4C95-9BED-F07A22B8E5D7_zpsjaumyklm.jpg

Loving this Moritat model, so I'm definitely going to be adding one to the army (to be accompanied by the Dreadwing Destroyers naturally). This means that my old twin plasma pistol Moritat will be a bit superfluous, so I decided to alter him a bit:

Saar Gideon, Knight of Shadows

Paladin of the Third Host

Ordination of the Dreadwing

The Dark Angels Legion

gallery_917_12575_339044.jpg

med_gallery_917_12575_768834.jpg med_gallery_917_12575_1790873.jpg

gallery_917_12575_918084.jpg

I've just read the HH Leman Russ novella, and from that it seems that the Paladins of the Dark Angels are more like Champions or Honour Guard than Legion officers. I'm imagining Gideon as a sort of wandering Knight Errant, a highly experienced and individual warrior who fights alone in the vanguard of the army, always searching for a worthy opponent.

Archived