Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Is it a bad thing... ?

Dark Mechanicus Black Legion Graveyard Shift Kit Bashing Converting Scratch Building 1st of the 9th The Dark Works

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

Subtle Discord

Subtle Discord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,172 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Legion

... when the Renegades & Heretics section of Imperial Armour 13 keeps consuming more-and-more of the points in your Chaos Space Marine army list?

Some musing, with my current limited time, before I begin the proper WIP that be spawning from this dark seed.

A while back I turned to IA:13 to switch from regular Chaos Cultists to Renegades (or in my case, 'Dark Mechanicus Militia') in my Chaos Marine list; it doesn't take long to see for anything you lose in the fixed leadership of Cultists, you more then make up for in the utility, cost savings, and additional equipment options of the Renegades & Heretics. A perfect opportunity to add the Dark Mechanicus element to my Black Legion that I've been considering for quite some time.

With the release of Traitor's Hate I had an excuse to glance at my current list that I use as a guide for personal projects. While it changes somewhat regularly, sooner-or-later it will create enough finished projects that some fully painted and table ready armies will start to manifest! Unfortunately there isn't much in TH that resonates well with the Armoured Cavalry with Dark Mechanicus support type of army I've been trying to create. For now, I feel compelled to stick with a CAD + AD build to satisfy the army composition I want to field. In fact, the supplement caused a bit of burnout towards Chaos Marines and had me looking at the Renegades & Heretics a little more closely. 

Dark_Mechanicus_05.jpgDark_Mechanicus_06.jpg

I bashed some Skitarii bits with some Cadian models and a bunch of harvested auto pistols to create a reasonably simple Dark Mechanicus Militia that will be easy enough to produce en mass.

So, what originally was meant to me a small Allied Detachment is starting to gain some momentum to become something larger, maybe muuuch larger. I had at first considered using the Bloody-handed Reaver Devoition, as it would fit well with the look of the bashed Renegades I have created. However I quickly figured out that Devotions could only be taken by the Warlord, and being the defining feature of an R&H list, that meant the force would need to be at least a CAD; this open the floodgates, I suspect. smile.png

What had started as a Command Squad and a single minimal Platoon to add 35-40 cheap bodies to my Chaos Marines, seems to have a mind of its own and keeps expanding. Ok, so I need two Troops; some Mutants then... but that doesn't quite fit for me. So, if I was expanding in order to accommodate the Devotion, I considered them again. Since I'm creating a counts-as Dark Mechanicus element, I'm not sure why I didn't consider the Heretek Magus Devotion in the first place, but it seems too obvious now. I had picked up the Start Collecting Skitarii box to bash the Renegade models, and it comes with a wonderful Tech-Priest model that's begging to be used, so I guess I've got my Magus.

To mix a bit of the fluff and crunch together, the Devotion unlocks Decimators for the army, giving me an excuse to add the one I started painting this summer to the army. (more on that... and other things... later) Not the best points-efficient unit, but not a complete slouch, and a gorgeous model that will look wonderful as a bodyguard for the Magus. Chaos Marines will still fill a section of this army, and where it might normally seem unlikely for them to take direction from some Warlord of a Renegade force, I think it feels much more fiction-appropriate if the Warlord is a Dark Mechanicus Magus with a Decimator thug providing extra... 'diplomatic incentive'.

So, now the gates open wider... If I'm going to add a second Troop choice, why not another full Platoon? 60-120 low cost bodies to bubble-wrap things sounds attractive. If I'm adding from IA:13 to fill a full CAD, why not take advantage of the equipment available to this Renegade Militia? Those Laser Destroyer Rapiers and Wyverns are so very hard to ignore. Humm, those Rogue Psykers could add a little spice to the mix... Aw crap, over half of my points are now R&H! It looks like this is about to 'become something'. smile.png

I've long had an itch to create some Dark Mechanicus monstrosities, and this will give an excellent incentive to make some of these Dark ideas real. Beyond a wide range of smaller Dark creations I'd like to make, I've had long standing plans to create a Chaos Titan of some sort, once college is done, and now I'm all but certain it will be Dark Mechanicus in nature, because... it just needs to be so! Sometimes the whispers from the warp in the back of my brain suggest ideas, and sometimes they demand a result. The image of a huge Dark Mechanicus walker, a throng of my Renegade Militia spreading about below and around it, with Dark Mechanicus constructs scattered among the hoard, and flank of massed Artillery proving close support, has be burned into my mind; I have no choice now, but to make it happen...

But I digress, and leave this here for the time being. A humble start to something much larger... some scrap-code has become activated, and it seems a new protocol initiative must now be implemented. I am but a humble servitor most willing to create what my inspiration demands of me. Stay tuned, this will be good, I can feel it.

As always, input, feedback, suggestions, inspiration, ideas, general musings, and all manner of other friendly conversation and exchange will be most welcome.

~ Subtle Discord ~ The Dark Works ~

• Goreshed, spafe, Brother Dallo and 13 others like this

Nostrum nomen est Legio: pro nos es plures. ~ ~ Our name is Legion: for we are many.

LR%20Banner%20-%20512x64.pngTDW%20Banner%20-%20512x64.png

Soldier of Dorn

Soldier of Dorn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,186 posts
  • Chapter Name: VII-284BTN

Another Subtle Discord thread?

WwXjad1.png

This gon' be good, I can feel it. Your basic troops look great already, can't wait to see where you take it from there.

• Augustus b'Raass and foamy248 like this

tn_gallery_78067_11287_2767.pngtn_gallery_78067_11287_11810.pngtn_gallery_78067_11287_20922.pngtn_gallery_78067_11287_48.png

VII Legion. Now, forever, and always.

Instagrymme

Brother Kortmer

Brother Kortmer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 568 posts

Subtle Discord doing R&H and Dark Mechanicum? Yeah, right. Consider me signed up. Can't wait to see what you'll bring to it.

• Castellan Cato likes this

gallery_80057_10843_28654.jpg sml_gallery_29004_10691_5889.pnggallery_29004_12090_2245.pngETL_Medal_02.gifgallery_77459_12304_7182.pngCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01b.gif fBvPQb7.png

Subtle Discord

Subtle Discord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,172 posts

Thanks for the vote of confidence everyone; with all sincerity, not to sound too full of myself, but it's my hope to make this a challenge, take all of my old and new skills, and produce something... really, really, good! Errr... bad, but in a good way! smile.png With the Dark ideas I have brewing in my brain, mixed with all of the inspiration I've gathered over the years (with a few particularly notable creators), and my new deeper understanding of design, materials, and process, I'm considering some stuff I thought too ambitious.

This is going to start with the army, working its way up in the scale and scope of the projects until I have the force I think it deserves, and then it's going to expand into my future table project. The whispers providing inspiration from the Warp have long said I should build an actual Dark Forge World, and now, I think it's much more plausible then I had ever thought it might be in the past. I've already started collecting supplies, over several years; some are proper kits, and others are interesting found objects, that will be transformed. Since I've wanted to create a City Fight table for many years, and always wanted to create a Daemon World table for about as long, I see this as a way to compromise by blending the two ideas; lots of avenues and corridors with neo-gothic buildings manufacturing equipment everywhere, but also with lots of chaotic transformation and reality bending to take it to a different place/level entirely. But I'm getting ahead of myself... many more modest projects to start.

Oh, and naturally, GW releasing models with such converting and kit-bashing potential as the Genestealer Cult line, well that's just adding fuel to this fire. I think this will be a perfect holdover until the Chaos Marine line gets an overhaul, and we'll see where things are then. Expect this project to really get going in Spring/Summer 2017.

Nostrum nomen est Legio: pro nos es plures. ~ ~ Our name is Legion: for we are many.

Juggernut

Juggernut

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,909 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Brass Stampede
Don't forget to create some awesome trim/conversion kits for all the IG tanks you'll be using, and mass-produce them for us talentless shmucks to buy. :P

jd71B4p.jpgMFgjOT4.jpgjd71B4p.jpg

Subtle Discord

Subtle Discord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,172 posts

I have been researching; there is plastic injection equipment that is the right scale for my studio. Mark my words, future Trim Kits of all kinds are going to made of styrene, so they will be much easier to apply to styrene kits and build with in general using solvent glues. Oh yes, and easier to produce (read: cheaper). While I'm still not 100% sure if the small scale equipment can handle what I want to do, it's very realistic based on my preliminary research, so I'm going to try everything I can to make it happen. And if I can get the Trim Kits to work, it will open the door to so much more, I get giddy just thinking about it! But again, that's a little way off, but still on the radar, so to speak. Interesting times ahead, I assure you! :)

• Juggernut likes this

Warsmith Uveron

Warsmith Uveron

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,678 posts

They Look Great Welcome to the world of the true champions of chaos. 

• Castellan Cato likes this

Check Out My Uverons Black Crusade and my Uverons Imperials Threads! 

h9RZiiS.jpgsml_gallery_29004_10691_328.pngsml_gallery_29004_6198_1427.pngsml_gallery_29004_10691_5889.pngsml_gallery_29004_12090_8822.pngsml_gallery_29004_12090_4603.pngsml_gallery_29004_12090_1600.pnggallery_29004_10383_2014.pngCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01c.gifgallery_77459_12304_7182.pnggallery_29004_9303_844.pnggallery_62972_10568_26224.jpgsml_gallery_69091_12729_650.gif

Subtle Discord

Subtle Discord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,172 posts

++++++++++

+++++++

+++++++++

++… Communication Link Requested

+++++

+++… Link Accepted

++++++++++

++

++++++… Decrypting

++++++++++

++++

++++++… Displaying

++++++++++

++++++…

Hobby_Supplies_01.jpg

Material acquisition initiatives have been received, accepted, and acted on. Further acquisition initiatives... ongoing.

With upcoming college models to make and future hobby and studio models to assemble, I needed a restock of my beloved Tamiya Extra Thin solvent plastic glue. Over the years every location that sold it locally has gone out of business or stopped carrying it. In my opinion, once you’ve tried Extra Thin it really spoils you; I’ve used many other brands of thin solvent glue and while some are not too bad, none are as well balanced as Extra Thin.

So, I was finally able to find a vendor that’s close enough to avoid excessive shipping charges and also has a good stock of other useful products. Some of this was very intentional and the rest happened as I slipped deeper down the rabbit hole, so to speak. The way I see it this is one part college, one part studio, and one part personal, so it makes this, and some other future purchases I need/want to make, more reasonable. That’s my story, and I’m sticking to it! smile.png Astute readers will be able to find a hint or two as to some of my future plans. Naturally, I’ll also do some reviews and how-to articles on any of the products that perform well (or not), as I get a chance to use them in the spring.

Also, since I will soon complete another solar cycle, there’s something else in transit that is 100% a larger personal project to give my up-and-coming Dark Mechanicus something fun to play with. But, that’s another story for another day…

Mechanicus_Sketch_01.jpg

Did I ever mention that they make us do a lot of sketching and drawing in my college program? Well, they do.

While I’m not nearly as talented as some of the really good sketchers in my program, my sketching has improved dramatically over the years. My biggest hurdle is speed; I’m just not very fast, and speed is critical to getting the most out of sketching. If you’re fast you can take a concept in your mind and communicate it visually very quickly for a client, and that’s a very potent skill. Personally, I make up for it with an above average ability to visualize in 3D and work straight from that image if I like; I’ve learned that it’s not a common skill, so I plan to exploit it as much as possible.

I plan on doing several ‘walker’ models for some of my Dark Mechanicus creations, so I want to explore ideas on how to form the legs. These are quick shape explorations, so I’m not worried about most of the detailing, just the form and structure. I plan to do this with the different sections of the constructs I want to build, and then mash the ideas I like best together into one form. In an effort to keep my sketching skills sharp I’m going to try and force myself to see it through and do many more of these types of quick explorations and then the final product of these bits-and-pieces of ideas brought together.

Mechanicus_Sketch_02.jpg

One last tweak in the perspective of the arms would have been nice; I think it would have made them feel a little less stiff and loosened the pose a bit.

The insecure artist in me can’t help but see the little mistakes in a drawing like this and it’s something I consciously work to keep in check. There’s nothing wrong with wanting to produce top quality work, but you simply can’t obsess over absolutely every detail all the time; especially something as unforgiving as ink drawing. The only way to improve and is give it a go, and try again (and again) no matter the outcome. I really should bring out some more depth by rendering them with some marker, but the damn insecure artist in my doesn’t want to potentially screw them up, so I’m hesitant.

I don’t plan on doing an illustration of every kit-bash idea I have, but since I need to fill pages for a required sketchbook, why not have some fun exploring some subject matter that appeals to me? I’ve drawn so many appliances, vehicles, and various other contemporary objects, it’s really nice to do something different. Besides, human forms are quite challenging, no matter the subject, and many times it’s an excellent idea to draw a human in a design sketch to give scale and context. Any practice of human forms is good practice.

Mechanicus_Sketch_03.jpg

I’ve been trying to settle on models to use for Rogue Psykers and invariably I kept coming back the Electro-Priest kit.

My plan is to pick up a box of Ruststalkers/Infiltrators strictly for scattering their many wonderful bits throughout the army. So I think it should be easy enough to do a head swap and put an Infiltrator head on an Electro-Priest model. From there I can use what’s in the Priest kit to give it one arm with the Corpuscarii gauntlet, and the other arm will get a mace made from a shortened Fulgurite staff, or perhaps another weapon if something inspires me.

My take on these Psykers is that they’ve been augmented to amplify their psychic gifts. Normally, the latent psychic abilities would be so minor as to not warrant much attention. Once identified however, the Dark Mechanicus use their technology to focus the psychic abilities of the host. While this effectively boosts their latent psychic capabilities into something useful (if somewhat unpredictable), naturally it also essentially ‘overclocks’ them, making them burn out very quickly (at best) and susceptible to possession (at worse).

“The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long – and you have burned so very, very brightly, Roy.” ~ Tyrell ~ Bladerunner

• Honda, Juggernut, Olis and 3 others like this

Subtle Discord

Subtle Discord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,172 posts

Since this ties in with this Dark Mechanicus project, I'll just put a copy of this Legion Rising update here as well.

With a tiny window of opportunity, I feel like writing something, and perhaps rambling a little bit lot about some future plans and other stuff.

Tamiya_Putty_01.jpg

Having recently picked up a few hobby supplies, I had a chance to use some of this Tamiya Putty and I think it’s worth a few words.

A classmate of mine was using some of this Tamiya Putty on a model a while back and recommend it. I’ve seen it in the past, but I’ve had a tube of green Squadron Putty for years so I hadn’t given it a try. I was never completely happy with Squadron Putty when I used it, but when it comes to filling and smoothing really fine seams and cracks, a product like it really does the trick; where other products will struggle to hold tight in such as small area, modeling putty will do a better job. That’s the theory, but with Squadron Putty I’ve found it to be too coarse and prone to chipping and flaking away sometimes. The way it underperformed kinda’ soured me on products like this, truth be told.

So, recently I had to do a marathon model building session; taking a concept from a 3D model and making a 1/5 scale physical model of it in roughly 4 days. Very little sleep was had, to say the least, but I produced an excellent model and this wonderful product helped in its own way. With many layers coming together very quickly to build the required model, I used it quite a bit to clean up seams, layering, and other surface flaws that come with building something from scratch, and this stuff worked like a charm.

When cured it becomes very hard, resisting scratching and flaking, and with a nice satin almost plastic-like finish; I suspect it’s resilient enough to be drilled and carved/shaped in some situations. The solvents in it work really well to mildly etch into most surfaces and gently fuse it with styrene plastics to bond very tightly. When it’s sanded it will come off as a dry plaster-like powder, but any product remaining on the model will keep the tough plastic-like finish. Burnish it a little with a plastic bristle brush after you’ve filed, sanded, and worked this product, and it will be primer ready. Scratches, seams, gaps, and all sorts of other flaws simply vanish.

After seeing it suggested, I had planned on tinning some of the Tamiya Putty down to use it as a form of surface glaze for particular situations where you want a very thin layer. Turns out that Tamiya noticed that modellers were doing this, and made it into a ready-to-use product, the pictured Surface Primer G. Having never made the stuff before I was happy to pick up a bottle and take the guesswork out of it. When I make better use of both of these on some hobby models I’ll take some pictures of the results and talk more about technique when using it. Put simply, if you scratch build and/or are particular about cleaning up seam lines on models, get some of this stuff!

Dark_Mechanicus_Decimator_01.jpg

Meet Tweedledum and Tweedledee, the seeds of inspiration for the first Dark Mechanicus constructs I want to create.

I personally still much prefer the traditional Dreadnaught model to the Helbrute that the unit has become. I had plans to pick up a FW Iron Warriors Dreadnaught and add it as a companion to this Black Legion one. With FW discontinuing the model before I could get one, well then, they’ve simply forced me to create my own alternative. In this case I’m aiming to find some middle ground between the new bio-mechanical ‘Brute and the old-school walking sarcophagus that is the Dreadnaught. I like the curved armour forms of the ‘Brute but I want it closer to the Legion Dread in execution and style.

So the Dreadnaught is going to tag along with the Decimator as it’s completed, because it’s been half-finished for far too long. To show that there really is paint involved, I’ve included a small progress shot; I was hoping to get a little more done on it before I was forced to stop, but you know how it is. *Shakes an angry fist at life*

Since I was considering the build of a smaller Dark Mechanicus construct and painting the Decimator, it got me thinking just how straight forward the Decimator is, in reality; it’s just a large central tube/cylinder plastered with hoses and wires, with some armour plates wrapped around it all, really. Not that difficult a concept to adapt and refine, I should think. For me, as with the Dreadnaught, the Decimator is the look I prefer in a Daemon Engine construct; a mechanical brute monstrosity forcibly infused with a daemonic entity to give it purpose – not fed and/or grown in any way, but coldly manufactured and assembled product. Well then, I might just have to explore something on a medium scale as well, yes? … Yes!

Do you hear that? … Yep, that’s the sound of another can-of-worms cracking open.

While I’ve picked up several models from GW/FW over the last few years, most are carefully planned to have a long road of service in my studio as ‘scaffolds’ for future kit designs, before they’ll become personal projects that I can actually finish. So, to celebrate my most recent complete revolution of our sun, I choose to pick up something that is purely a personal project that can proceed without delay, once the demands of college are finally done.

Dark_Mechanicus_Kytan_01.jpg

Meet TweedleDEAD! The Kytan Daemon Engine; a very suitable (starting) centerpiece model for the Dark Mechanicus element of my collection.

This is the first time I’ve received something from FW packaged like this. Usually the parts are simply in a bag surrounded by plastic packing pillows. It’s such a pleasant surprise to get the kit this way, it seemed worthy of note. When you’re purchasing a premium product like this it’s nice when it’s packed accordingly. After closer inspection I can say that this is what a FW model should be like; the quality and execution of the parts is very good; reasonable mould lines, very nice surface quality, no noticeable warping, and an acceptably low number of bubbles. Well done FW, I hope future kits will continue this trend.

Dark_Mechanicus_Kytan_02.jpg

A tiny bit of subtle layering noticeable in the toe of the Kytan hints at the 3D printed origins of the master model used for this kit.

Just look at those legs, and compare them to some of the new Mechanicus line and tell me they don’t share a similar design esthetic; yep, this is going to work. I’m not really a fan of the FW Chaos Knight kit; too much teeth, horns, and splitting armour for my taste, and combined with such a clean base model, it just doesn’t work for me. Naturally, I have my own plans to create some suitably ‘Renegade Knight’ style kits in the future, but that’s another story for another day. So, for my money, as with earlier examples, I personally prefer the mostly mechanical esthetic that the Kytan has for a unique knight-scale Chaos Daemon Engine model.

Dark_Mechanicus_Kytan_03.jpg

One only need look to this kit to see that GW/FW are well aware of the state of 3D printing technology, and taking full advantage.

It was a very high quality 3D print used to create the master for this model, and the accuracy of the entire model is very tight because of it; the perfectly symmetrical and wonderfully smooth curved elements especially benefit from the process. There’s a few tiny spots where the 3D print process of the original model can be seen, but they really are few in number and very subtle; very easy to ignore or to clean up at your discretion. The fit and finish are so nice it’s almost begging to be put together right now. Soon, you wonderful psychopathic-daemon-infused-murder-bot, you! Soon!

As with the Decimator, I’m torn with what to do to personalize the Kytan; it’s such a nice model in its own right there’s nothing wrong with it being built as-is (basically what I did with the Decimator), but in this case I think it’s going to need something to make it more Dark Mechanicus. Removing and replacing all of the Khorne iconography will be the obvious place to start, but I have a few whispers from the warp in the back of my mind suggesting that I should remove the cannon from the left arm and mount it on/over/behind the shoulder. Then both arms can be armed with combat weapons of some sort, to emphasize the Kytan’s combat proficiency; perhaps matching weapons or maybe purposely different for some variety; either could work really well. Considering how common of a design element it is on Mechanicus robots in both 30k and 40k, I think shoulder mounting the ballistic weapon would go a long way to tie it into the Dark Mechanicus theme I’ll be going for with this build.

Sooo… I guess I’ve also got my (first) large scale Dark Mechanicus construct concept on the drawing board, as it were, to go along with the small and medium concept ideas that started me down this Dark path to begin with. You see how the worms start to get out, and everywhere, if I let the ideas have too much freedom? Buuut, the image is beginning to take form in my mind, I don’t think I have any choice now, but to make it real.

Please, stand by… more to come. Soon'ish.

• Juggernut, Olis, Excessus and 1 other like this

Subtle Discord

Subtle Discord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,172 posts

To Autogun, or not to Autogun? That is the question.

I've seen it debated, about the merits of Chaos Marine Cultists taking Autoguns, but in that case it costs a point to do. With Renegades, the option is free, so I'm wondering what opinions on the subject are. Is it even worth trying to throw a wave of pistol + weapon Renegades at an opponent, or are you better off giving them the Autogun and letting them plink away at things?

With so many great bits becoming available lately, it's got me thinking how I'm going to build and bash some of my future units. I keep flip-flopping if I want more Autopistols or Autoguns.

Castellan Cato

Castellan Cato

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 517 posts
  • Chapter Name: Shepherds of Rot
I originally wanted to run pistols and knives in my flamer units. Four of those charging up the board in an unending host list. However after a few games, 15 never actually managed to kill a model in close combat. Sure you have a ton of dice to throw, but when you're hitting on 5s, wounding on 4s or 5s, not that many get through. Maybe it would be different if you were running big squads of thirty or so, but it was very underwhelming to me.

Now my flamer guys carry auto guns and create a nice little U shape around units so they their have to deal with me flaming them every turn with some added lasgun potshots or charge into 3D3 flamers. Not that that does a lot more, but hey, you can't expect much for 60 some odd points.

Edited by Castellan Cato, 22 October 2016 - 07:04 AM.

Brother Kortmer

Brother Kortmer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 568 posts
I second the above. But if you insist on autoguns (as opposed to standard-issue lasguns) You'll find they're rather hard to source in sufficient numbers.

gallery_80057_10843_28654.jpg sml_gallery_29004_10691_5889.pnggallery_29004_12090_2245.pngETL_Medal_02.gifgallery_77459_12304_7182.pngCall_of_Chaos_9_Medal_01b.gif fBvPQb7.png

Subtle Discord

Subtle Discord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,172 posts

Now, a brief moment of procrastination, by Subtle Discord. Ongoing iterations and experimentation with options for the Mechanicus Militia that will fill the ranks of my future Renegades Platoons. My new muse is proving very hard to ignore; spring can’t get here fast enough. Must… build... more… models! I’ve got a serious itch to take my new Mechanicus infatuation in a few directions. For now, I want to explore some solutions that I can use to easily produce large numbers of Renegades with ranged weapons.

Dark_Mechanicus_09.jpg

Left – My original idea; bash Autoguns from various sources. Right – A new idea; bash some more of the Skitarii kit into the build.

With the release of the new Genestealer Neophyte Hybrid kits there should be no problem getting Autoguns to bash into these squads; which is good, because harvesting them from the Chaos Cultists is not an ideal source. Cleanly removing the Lasgun from the right arm of the IG model is also a bit of a pain, but I really want to use something other than Lasguns, to give them a unique look. I like the mass-produced utilitarian result that the Autogun gives, buuuut…

… the Skitarii Vanguard/Rangers kit provides an interesting counts-as option that I didn’t consider at first. I’ll be using the Radium Carbines with the actual Skitarii models, so that leaves lots of the Galvanic Rifles in my bits box. After some test fits, I’m surprised how well many of the arms fit on a regular IG torso; even the sleeves don’t look too bad, given that they’re wearing a tunic under the Flak armour. I’ve taken a section out of the rifle to shorten it (All hail the power of Tamiya Extra Thin cement to do super clean joins and seams!) and the final result is really starting to grow on me. It takes the models in a different direction, being more elegant, and the extra detail isn’t a bad thing. Hummm… Decisions. Decisions.

Oh well, that’s all the time I have for now. More scraps and bits of ideas to come, until spring, when I can really get started on some projects! *Subtle’s eye begins to twitch a bit, a bit of froth forming in the corner of his mouth* Just five more months… 

• spafe, Juggernut, Olis and 2 others like this

Reaver Lord Soul

Reaver Lord Soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 109 posts
  • Chapter Name: Angels Encarmine 3rd Company

Consider your idea with the skitarii kitbash...borrowed happy.png looking good as always Subtle :)

Dragonkin Arenis Said on the 13/05/2014

And lo, Venerable Brother Artemis raised the turret of the heretical Predator tank and proclaimed "Batter up!"

Subtle Discord

Subtle Discord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,172 posts
Dark_Mechanicus_05.png
Another small entry in my Dark Mechanicus project arriving soon. Spare bits made useful; the Auto-Cannon Heavy Weapon Team.
  • spafe, Excessus and foamy248 like this

spafe

spafe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 760 posts
such a tease! looks great though
IG_14A_Banner.jpgIG_14A_Badge.jpgETL_2014_Banner_V2_03A_Custos_Fidei.jpggallery_29004_6198_5619.pnggallery_30308_9518_5514.png

Subtle Discord

Subtle Discord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,172 posts

+
+++
++
++++++
+
++ Modulating…
++ Re-scanning…
++++++++
+++
++ Signal Detect…
++++++
++++
+++++++++
++ Comm-Link Authenticated…
++ Decrypting…
+++
++++++++
++++++++++
++ Primary Explorator Mission ++ Planned Duration: 1,826.25 standard cycles ++ On Schedule ++
++ Hard Data Harvest Complete ++ Acquisition of information, skill, experience… Successful ++
++ Resistance Encountered - Moderate ++ Combat Asset Casualties - Within Parameters ++
++ Discovery + Experimentation + Iteration + Simulation ++ Construct Template… Repaired ++
++ Return Protocol Active ++ Estimated Transit Duration: 104.1 standard cycles ++ On Schedule ++
++
Dark_Mechanicus_01-B.png
Progress_01.png
Dark_Mechanicus_03-B.png

Dark_Mechanicus_02-B.png
After playing with the Electro-Priest kit some I came up with three combinations of Fulgurite and Corpuscarii arms that I think actually work quite well.

For the sake of keeping a complete record where it rightfully belongs, I'll add these pictures of some of my early kit-bash builds for this project and a bit of focus on the counts-as Rogue Psykers for my R&H Dark Mechanicus from another corner of B&C.

A few of the hands need a bit of file work to shape them some, but nothing really serious. Either of the ‘dynamo backpacks’ can line up the cables that lead to the gloves with just a bit of modification. I also shortened the staves-made-maces a bit to give them a better proportion. Finally, the Ruststalker heads simply work better with the concept in my mind and they were easy to add; they only needed a small shim of plastic to get them in to good position. A straightforward but effective kit-bash.

Dark_Mechanicus_04-B.png
Astounding psychic powers! Amaze your friends! Curse your enemies! **Some side effects may include dry mouth, loss of appetite, nosebleeds, daemonic possession, and agonizing death.

With daemonic possession a regular occupational hazard I’ll need some models to represent the outcome. I wasn’t sure how I was going to pull it off until I saw the Revenants. With a little bit of file work to remove the leaf elements and a bit of green stuff to fill any undesirable details and I think they’ll do well to represent a demonic entity tearing in to reality through a tasty mortal host. I’m going to try and keep a bit of the tech, mangled and destroyed, and graft the Revenant from the waste up; as seen in the quick Photoshop cut-and-paste.

Roughly ten weeks, and the hobby sabbatical can finally start. More more to come. I can't wait to start building and painting with less constraints again.

01001110 01000101 01010100 01000011 01001111 01001101 01001101 00100011 00110001 00111010 01001100 01001111

++
++ Message Repeat ++
++ Return Protocol Active ++ Estimated Transit Duration: 104.1 standard cycles ++ On Schedule ++
+++++++
+++
+++++++++
++++
+
+
++++++
+++

With a tiny window of time available, I took a brief moment to procrastinate and explore an idea I had to make some Heavy Weapon Teams for my Dark Mechanicus themed Renegades & Heretics. I had first thought of using the Cadian Heavy Weapon kit with my obligatory Skitarii backpack and head-swap; I was considering ways I could modify or replace the weapons to make them more Mechanicus, but the idea was falling a bit flat with me.

However, as my modest IA:13 Dark Mechanicus project has since grown to include a collection built from the Skitarii and Cult Mechanicus codices, this little idea quickly took form. I have an affinity for the Ironstrider models, and plan to build some Dragoons to start; in an army with so many wonderfully exotic ranged weapon options, equipping them with Auto-Cannons or Las-Cannons seems a bit underwhelming. I get the mobility of the weapon platform, but it still doesn’t resonate with me like Dragoons with their Taser Lances. And since the model doesn’t lend itself to magnetization, I’m left with these excellent weapon bits looking for a purpose.

Dark_Mechanicus_06.png
The armour plate doesn’t play nice with the normal heavy weapon tripod, but I devised another idea with a few of the other bits.

Just a couple of tiny scratch-built parts was enough to create some connection points, and it’s as simple as that. For now it’s more of a proof-of-concept really; I like the solution, but I want to create something from scratch that is purpose built for the task and refines how all the parts come together.

Dark_Mechanicus_07.png
Dark_Mechanicus_08.png
It’s a wonderfully simple idea compared to some of the other concepts bouncing around inside my mind, so it’s kinda’ refreshing.

Naturally, Heavy Weapon Teams can’t take twin-linked Auto-Cannons, but the rule of cool always takes precedence. Considering how straight forward the solution is, this little kit-bash is all but impossible to pass it up. I can’t wait to have a closer look at some of the left over bits in some of the other Mechanicus kits, and see how they might prove useful.

Ok, with that small hobby itch scratched… a tiny bit… for now… I’m forced to return to other matters that require my attention. Thanks, as always, for reading. *Sigh* Soon my little plastic minions. Soon.

• Akrim, Kythnos, Plaguecaster and 2 others like this

spafe

spafe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 760 posts
It represents their 'militia training' just firing twice as many shots counts as being a better shot right?!

They do look stunning though... and I am sooo stealing that idea of the possessed psykers! I only wish they didn't compete with enforcers for the slot... gah, too many cool ideas with heretics to fit it all in.

cant wait to see how you paint them, are the 'branches' going to be really bright warp swirlyness? or something else?
  • Plaguecaster likes this
IG_14A_Banner.jpgIG_14A_Badge.jpgETL_2014_Banner_V2_03A_Custos_Fidei.jpggallery_29004_6198_5619.pnggallery_30308_9518_5514.png

Tamika

Tamika

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 147 posts
Really beautiful modelling work. Makes me feel sick I sold my old renegade army as my conversions were similar. Now I am working on scions with the neophyte kit, converting the heavy weapons into hot shot volley guns and giving all the normal guys hot hot lasguns.
  • spafe likes this

Akrim

Akrim

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 894 posts
Great scott! These guys look very cool. Im currently doing some Dark Mechanicum myself. The Cyclotrathe Rapiers allow some really fun conversion work, ill have to post soon.

Excessus

Excessus

++ APPORTO FERMENTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,213 posts
  • Chapter Name: Alpha Legion, Thousand Sons

Awesome stuff, SD! I'm looking forward to this! :)

"Deception IS the point. Any fool can calculate strength. That one has been doing it from the moment he saw us. Now, he has to calculate what he can't see. And fear what he doesn't know."

Alpha Legion Cell #379, Thousand Sons and other friends
The Serpent's Lair - Alpha Legion Forum

gallery_48988_10980_12646.pnggallery_29004_9303_652.pngEcJeVZz.pnggallery_48988_13169_1292.png

Subtle Discord

Subtle Discord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,172 posts

++ Cogitator ∙ Online

+++++

++ Establishing Link ∙ Connecting…

++++++++++++

++++++++

+++ Procrastination Protocols ∙ Initialized…

++++++

++ Inquiry Request ∙ COROT

++++++++

++ Compiling Data Results ∙ Displaying…

+++++

Dark_Mech_COROT-7_01.jpg

++++++++

++++

++ Compiling Data Results ∙ Halt…

+++

++ Request ∙ Access Authorization…

++++++

++ Confirming Scan ∙ Stand-By…

+++

++++++++++

+++++

+

• spafe, Juggernut, Excessus and 1 other like this

Juggernut

Juggernut

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,909 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Brass Stampede

+++ Procrastination Protocols ∙ Initialized…

These protocols are widespread, I fear!

• spafe likes this

jd71B4p.jpgMFgjOT4.jpgjd71B4p.jpg

Subtle Discord

Subtle Discord

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,172 posts

It's not-quite-scrapcode that can quickly infect and subvert so many subroutines. With my painting area and workbench just meters away, and so much plastic calling to me build and paint, I'm finding it so very hard to concentrate on my current demands. Just a handful of weeks now... So close... So many plans... *Subtle begins to look a little... manic* Must... finish... obligations!

• spafe, Juggernut and Brother Kortmer like this

Brother Kortmer

Brother Kortmer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 568 posts

It's not-quite-scrapcode that can quickly infect and subvert so many subroutines. With my painting area and workbench just meters away, and so much plastic calling to me build and paint, I'm finding it so very hard to concentrate on my current demands. Just a handful of weeks now... So close... So many plans... *Subtle begins to look a little... manic* Must... finish... obligations!

I've quite the opposite problem actually. With so many current demands I'm finding it hard to concentrate on my plastic. 

Here's me patiently awaiting any sorts of updates, Subtle Discord. If and when it happens, it'll be awesome. Good luck!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dark Mechanicus, Black Legion, Graveyard Shift, Kit Bashing, Converting, Scratch Building, 1st of the 9th, The Dark Works

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users