Word bearers fluff questions

Plaguecaster

I was just wondering if there was any information on the word bearers and their purges of the legion to kill most of the Terrans and those who weren't too keen on their new ways as there were brief snippets of it happening in the 5th FW book I think but hoping to find more info . I was also wondering when it actually happened as I'm a bit unsure but did it happen after Lorgar's pilgrimage when the word bearers started to embrace chaos . Working on a current project but trying to come up with some good fluff and the purges sound quite interesting.

Yes, it did happen after the Pilgrimage, but the details are fuzzy and somewhat contradictory as they are relayed via personal observation.

For example, the first time we hear about the Purges is the Word Bearer 40K novel Dark Creed by Anthoney Reynolds. In it, Marduk relates how just before the Heresy, he and others carried out a purge within the Legion in order to remove those tainted of being Terrans.

The next mention would be the novel The First Heretic by Aaron Dembski-Bowden in which Erebus tells Argel Tal that those in the Legion who were resistant to the new doctrine were killed off, on Istvaan V just before the Massacre.

The third mention would be Betrayer by, again, Aaron Dembski-Bowden in which Argel Tal tells Khârn about the Purges and how he believes they are still ongoing and are not only about those who resist the new doctrine, but are also about targeting those who are misinterpreting the new doctrine and Lorgar's will. He does this by saying that Calth is meant to be a sacrifice of sorts and that Erebus and Kor Phaeron were basically being sent on a suicide mission.

After this, we would then get the Forgeworld Big Black Books, which would essentially relay the same, basic information; the Purges targeted those who were thought to be resistant to the change in policy, and a great many of those happened to be Terran, whether it be to doctrinal difference, or racial genocide.

An example of a Terran who made it past the Purge would be the Word Bearer veteran Narek, who sppears in Vulkan Lives, and the Unremembered Empire, however his portrayal radically changes within the two novels. In the first, Vulkan Lives, we see him as a veteran who still believes the Emperor is a god, but is a god who has failed Humanity and thus he is loyal to the Heresy. However, he is slowly losing faith in the new doctrine of worshipping Chaos as he watches it warp those around him as he is still a major fan of genetic purity.

In Unremembered Empire, which is also two years later, he has decided to go back to worshipping the Emperor, apparently still supports the Traitors, but has resolved to purifying his Legion by murdering Lorgar and anyone who is tainted by Chaos. So yeah, interesting by way of radicalism.

I think that pretty much sums it sll up, although these are all broad strokes.

Archived