How many meltabombs can I use in assault?

noigrim

I would also say that it costing 50pts to give a unit of breachers melta bombs the intention that everyone can use them.

Completely agree. Don't take Melta bombs unit-wide untill FW ammend their rules to match.

If they amend their rules when the FAQ/Errata is made official and it's still the same. They aren't going to stop work on Inferno over a draft posted on facebook.

If someone buys squad wide melta bombs and plays against me they're going to get to use them. Squad-wide grenades, in the assault of all phases, are not in anyway game breaking.

Posted · Hidden by Flint13, November 14, 2016 - No reason given
Hidden by Flint13, November 14, 2016 - No reason given
You will obviously find lots of people who disagree and your plan reeks of desperation. When it does become official, you will demand its in print, then that FW actively acknowledges it, then that they do it print, then that they repoint the meltabombs, then 8th edition happens and it doesn't matter.
Posted · Hidden by Flint13, November 14, 2016 - Let's bite this in this ass now
Hidden by Flint13, November 14, 2016 - Let's bite this in this ass now

I am not telling him how to play anything, so I'm not sure what virtue you're signaling. Or was your goal to just make a vapid statement? I just find it amusing how quickly goal posts of what is "official" and what isn't change when it's your preferred tactic on the chopping block

• 2 weeks later...

Q: Using grenades in the Assault phase. Can every model replace their close combat attacks with a single grenade attack or just one model in the unit? Like in the Shooting phase e.g. a unit of 5 Tau Pathfinders charge a Knight. Do 5 Pathfinders make close combat haywire grenade attacks?

A: Only one model from the unit can attack with a grenade in the Assault phase. Per Warhammer 40,000: The Rules, ‘Only one grenade (of any type) can be thrown by a unit per phase’.

The BRB is very specific and goes out of it's way to tell say you are not throwing. "... but have to be clamped in place to maximize effect." or "Some grenades do not have a profile. Any effects that they have will be covered in their special rules. Unless specifically stated otherwise, these grenades cannot be thrown or used as a Melee weapon." (p180, emphasis mine). Despite the BRB going out of it's way to differentiate throwing and melee; GW still thinks throwing is the same thing. I really think the rule was for overwatch, that's the only time you throw in assault, and they got confused by their own rule.

But them's the breaks unfortunately. I don't buy squad-wide meltabombs myself, but I'll still allow any opponent who bought them to use them. And krak grenades weren't game-breaking either way anyway.

And that's the wayyyy the coookie cruuuuummmbbbleesssssssss.

A shame for the Heresy, but I assume players will just alter the game to their likes anyway.

As a side note it does mean haywire grenades are no longer RIDICULOUS in 40k. So swings and roundabouts.

This only truly affects the games I play where Super-Heavies and Knights are in play (50% of my games) since I always have other means of dealing with non-SH AV.

Still, the dreads I ALWAYS bring with me are rejoicing for now all they have to worry about is being Tarpitted for a turn or two. At least they have In-Combat invulnerables to survive the single Melta Bomb.

That said, we're probably going to houserule it locally for our Apoc Games since we usually have 15+ Knights roaming about.

Bit of a silly question, but are meltabombs 'grenades'? Can't throw them, specific rules etc.

They're in the 'Grenades' section of the BRB.

Having now checked, yep, no chink in the armour there to -wait for it- clamp a meltabomb

Oh well, meltabomb is sgt only / individual pick on vanguards in 40k and 'cheap' on vets for 30k, which is where i use them, so i'm philosophical about this. Besides, the alternative can openers (power fist, chainfist, thunder hammer) costs way more, and often are sarge only. So apart from 30k breachers, i still see a niche.

On a side note, RAW they have no effect on buildings according to BRB (!) Just gun emplacements, vehicles and monstrous creatures... looks like they copied over the krak paragraph and forgot to add buildings to the 'otherwise no effect' bit.

And yet they remain the only dread effected by krak grenades.

Immobilize a dread and they're all affected by Krak Grenades, but I see your point :P Though I doubt Krak Grenades were the real problem for box dreads. Its more how weak Av12 is in general.

The only thing they've really got going for them is being cheap.

Archived