This isn’t human anymore
Look into the natural heart
Following the beat of the chemical
This isn’t human anymore
Tearing the connections apart
Crawling at the feet of our pedestals
Are you still human at the core?

Excerpt from The Natural Heart by Gavin Dunne, M2

What does it mean to be a lord's shield and blade?

It means to give up reason and morality.

A shield protects, no matter if the bearer is guilty or not.

A blade kills, no matter if the victim deserves death or not.

A guardian is not human.

It cannot be, it must not be.

Lest it turns on its master.

What else could a Custodes then be,

Than the epitome of inhumanity?

Excerpt from The Emperor's Hypocrisy, Text forbidden by His decree

The Emperor faces critique from all sides and in His eternal wisdom, he punishes it.

After millenia of darkness and regression, it is only natural that Terra yearns from freedom and democracy.

But the things one yearns for are rarely the things one really needs.

Perhaps in this age, mankind indeed does require a tyrant.

Perhaps only an iron fist can forge humanity together.

We must remember, the Crusade into the stars,

However beautiful it is,

Is mankind's gambit at achieving unity and true freedom.

Anon, stapled to the gates of the last Terran church

--Day 172 of the 27th and last Panpacific War--
--Uman'Dakhar, Thronecity of the Panpacific--

Uman'Dakhar. Called the Writhing City. Called the Heart of the Faceless King. It was here that war waged the worst. The streets were paved with blackened iron and lit by thrumming orbs of a crimson color. Ivan had reunited with the rest of the stationed Vracar units, amounting to almost fifty men and women. It felt good to see all the various tribes and city-states represented amongst them. He himself was born in the vast catacombs of the Beautiful City and as such had become acquainted fairly early with the Vracar. His childish mind had seen them as legends that slew lurking raiders and monsters all across the city. Early, he was 'recruited'. He would find out eventually that 'recruitment' meant stealing children and young adults, breaking them into shape and pressing them into service. Ivan harboured no ill will against his new home, how could he? They had taken him from the streets and given him purpose in life. Still. there were questions within him. Who were his parents? Was Ivan his true name or was it given to him by the geno-scientists in the Citadel?

Why did he think about this so often? Why now, in battle?

No answers. Only the burning sensation of killing. The fights were brutal, there was no doubt in that. The narrow, labyrinthian streets made for gruesome kill-corridors, but that was nothing the Krvavi couldn't deal with. Ivan pointed to a building and promptly Stjepan took aim with his rocketlauncher. The collapsing brick and iron tore down a good dozen of separatists and prevented the survivors from navigating as freely as they needed to in their city. The Emperor had done well in distributing his forces. The Astartes were used, along the Thunderwarriors and the Terrawatt-Giants, as the assault's spearhead, while the various other human-regiments and posthumana were used to harrow the supply-lines and the, by now, depopulated areas of the city.

The auspex wasn't picking up any more enemies in close proximity, so Ivan ordered to set up a temporary camp in one of the ruins and commence detox-procedures. The ruin was chosen because the east-side offered a perfect view into what appeared to be an arena of sorts. Pillars and collumns were cut out of the native bed-rock with great care for detail. The decor sported a disturbing amount of faceless humanoids and cephalopodian beasts. Ivans neck-hair bristled with tension. More interesting, however, were the contents of the arena.

A group of massive, genetic aberrants, much resembling the stone-beasts adorning this place.

In their midst stood a giant.

His armor was gleaming gold.

His blade death incarnate.

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp194/hodoalmir/_20161102_221328_zpsrb3qxeev.jpg

Ivan remembered Marcus, the tall and lithe Custodes back at the camp. This one was different. His armor was more ornate, if such a thing was possible, and he wore a cloak of rick silk the color of wine. He seemed so calm in that sea of jittering and heaving meat. The scene was almost serene. A single, golden hero standing against the world's darkness. The last defendant, ready to die for home and mother.

Only that this legend would not die, this Ivan knew. One of the aberrants stormed against the Custodian, two multi-jointed arms raised like the claws of some hungering bird. In the blink of an eye, the golden giant had swung his weapon, a blue, dazzling light flashed up, and the beast fell down, carved in twine by the glaive. Not a single drop of blood marred the Custodian's appereance, his cloak and plume still billowing gently in the air. Even as three beasts assaulted him, the giant took precise and measured steps, not a single movement superfluent but deadly. Here, Ivan learned just how deadly the Emperor's guardians were. The Custodian cleaved apart the closest brute, shattered the second one's larynx with a soft hit of his pole and shattered the third's brainpan with a mere blow of his hand.

The remaining aberrants slowly stepped back, visibly disturbed by what had happened. This would not stop the Custodian. The inbuilt gun of his glaive roared like some mythical beast as it spat out mass-reactive rounds. The effect was just as devastating and beautiful. Soon, silence fell over the arena. The Custodian was staring at Ivan. The Reaver-Lord banged his fist against the chest in salute, which the other promptly returned.

"Reaver-Lord Ivan of the Krvavi?" The voice came clear and smooth over the vox "Confirm please."

"Aye" Ivan felt almost ashamed for the comparatively bad quality of his transmission "With whom do I speak?"

"Shield-Captain Hector of the Legio Custodes" The Custodian began advancing towards him "I've been sent to find you."

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp194/hodoalmir/_20161102_221210_zpscuoqtvjq.jpg

Hector was about as tall as an Astartes, but much more lithe and elegant. Naturally, he towered over Ivan.

"I come upon the Emperor's demand" The slanted eyelenses gleamed in the dusk "He wishes to re-evaulate your position in this war."

"Listen, I can understand if he is discontent with our progress, but-"

"Silence" Hector's voice was deep and haughty "You shan't speak, unless demanded. As said, I come with orders. You and your unit are to be reallocated to Unit-XX."

"Unit-XX?" Anja chirped from behind "What's that?"

"Do not interrupt this conversation." Hector seemed irritated at the display of ease "Unit-XX, also known as the Ghost Legion, is a special formation of Astartes utilized in covert operations, harrowings, raidings and assassination. The nature of their work demands that they employ many human operatives. While not destined to become such, you are asked to work closely with the Ghost Legion in an upcoming campaign."

"Hold the door, we don't get a choice in this?" Something was amiss, Ivan felt it in his guts "Why we?"

"Naturally as conduct of battle demands, you do get a choice. Refusal will be met with termination, as the very existence of the Ghost Legion must stay secret, even from their cousins" Suddenly, Hector seemed much more intimidating "Your geno-tech will be duplicated by the Helvetian Technocracy and perfected, you shall be transported there as soon as Dume lies in shackles within Khangba Marwu. Your organisation will be provided with as much warmaterials as neccessary and all techno-medicinal advances shall be shared. Affirm please."

Ivan looked back at his soldiers, baffled and confused at what was happenings.

"Give me an hour"

"Affirmative" Hector responded "I shall return."

Ivan's unit was looking at him with a mix of interest and horror.

"So, what now, gazda?" Anja asked cautiously

"We've got a job, I guess."

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp194/hodoalmir/_20161102_220921_zpsbmpstzsu.jpg

---PICT-FEED FROM THE TYRANT'S PALACE---

---MEMETIC DAMAGE NOTICED---

---------------------------------------------------

So, had a crack at the new BoP stuff :) The figure is very much inspired by NoctusCornix beautiful rendition.

@Wraithwing: Thanks mate!

@Mosesgunn: Thanks man, appreciate it highly. :D

@Andvarr A: Thanks mate. You know what, you would have WiP of the whole squad by now, that is if the post hadn't misplaced my order of solar auxilia somehow:furious: :furious: My artscale Astartes are a bit of a case-by-case thing, but I'll be making a rough tutorial on how I do stuff and post it up :) Nathan is based on the TDA Praetor from forgeworld. The shins are elongated with 1mm plasticard sheets and the backside closed up with putty. The chest is carved away and replaced with the finecast techmarine's one. The arms are regular TDA arms, the lower arms are also elongated with 1mm plasticard. The shoulderpads are from the FW IH Gorgons. The head is a kitbash of cadian commandsquad rebreather and skitarii head. The holstered pistol comes from Angron, the machete from the catachan command squad and the charger is from the praetor set, as is the backpack. Hope this helps a bit :)

@Luna707: Thanks man!

@lionofjudah: Thanks!

So, painting has been going pretty well. A few more things are comming up before I'll make a break 'til christmas, when I get some more bits and bobs for a few things I have in mind.

Hope you like the stuff!

C&C is, as always, highly appreciated and encouraged!

Have a nice day :)

• 2 weeks later...

Bellator Tonitrui

The earth shook when he came. His breath was a summerstorm's thunder.

Gold enveloped him, burnished and ancient. Bolts of lightning and raptorheas adorned his plate.

I thought him to be some ancient god then.

What a foolish child I was.

The stench of blood and war clung to him like tar. His breath reeked of cancer.

The warrior was a monster, forged with alchemycs and fleshmagycks that were forbidden for a reason.

I know that they are all dead by now.

Still.

It is impossible to forget what creatures helped forge this empire of man.

Orhan Ylmaz, Carpenter

Soldiers, don't give yourselves to brutes
Men who despise you enslave you
Tell you what to do, what to think and what to feel
Who drill you, diet you, treat you like cattle

Don't give yourselves to these unnatural men
Machine men with machine minds and machine hearts
You are not machines
You are men

The Great Dictator, presumed ruler of Terra in M1

It is natural to fear my child.

Fear the dark, for it is there that the Alien stalks and preys.

Fear the deep, for it is there that Madness lurks and grows.

Fear the beyond, for it is there that the Neverborn conspire and cackle.

Most of all though, fear Man.

The dark can be illuminated and the Alien can be immolated by the righteous.

The deep can be traversed and Madness shall succumb to the brave.

The beyond can be banished and the Neverborn shall perish before the faithfull.

Man, however, will always bear hatred and greed within itself.

One cannot fight oneself.

One can only remember.

Remember the mistakes of the past.

If you don't, you are bound to repeat them time and time again.

Anon

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp194/hodoalmir/_20161113_184357_zpsznjr6prh.jpg

------------------------------------------

Thanks guys :) The fella is still not quite finished as I want to add gubbins to the chestplate and bulk out the shins a bit more. Also some more stuff is needed on the gun.

@malika666: Yep, it's meant to be a Thunderwarrior :) It's based on the AoS Orruk Warboss.

• 5 weeks later...

Bellator Tonitrui

The Rains of Ynd

Many months ago, the armies of Ynd were broken upon the Emperor's anvil. We had refused pacification, believing that our warriors and jungles could protect us.

Many months ago, we had spat into the face of His envoys and sent them back with broken fingers and wrists, believing that none could best us.

Time and time again He had sent peaceful envoys to the Yndean King-Council and time and time again we had rejoiced in breaking them.

We believed Him a fool, a weakling that had to resort to pacifism and diplomacy instead of just taking what He desired.

It is us who were fools and weaklings.

We came to understand this when the gold-and-red Death came over us.

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp194/hodoalmir/_20161207_232229_zps25ztr1nj.jpg

I remember them. The Thunder Warriors. The name couldn't have been more apt at describing them. With horrendous shouting and war-cries they had descended upon us. The shrieking of a million Aeztecaen death-whistles appeared to exhude from their grills. Their armor was crudely forged, but coated in burnished gold and inlaid with black marble and silver. Their fists were as big as a man's body and crushed steel and flesh alike beneath them.

They descended upon us in the jungles, in just that place were we felt most comfortable with waging war. My unit was one of the last to see them as we were tasked with holding the inner perimeters. I could hear the soldiers' deathscreams in the vox. It was horrendous.

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp194/hodoalmir/_20161207_232648_zps7ko22qua.jpg

The Rhakshasa, they have come for us!

Send reinforcement, send help, send anything!

It tore my legs off!

Save us!

I hear them whenever I go to sleep. At first, I could not understand what they were on about. Rhaskhasa? Mythical beasts of bloodshed and fury? Surely the soldier in question was intoxicated, why else would he spout about some grandmother's fairytale? My attempts at consolidating the forces were in vain. Before long, I could only hear screams in the vox. It is then that we decided to venture out.

A grave mistake.

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp194/hodoalmir/_20161207_232313_zps5bqtlr70.jpg

Quickly, we found ourselves almost blinded by gunfire. The muzzles were wider than my head and the flash was less a simple flash and more a bolt of lightning. The sound was deafening and even with my muffs on, I could clearly hear bark and scream and shot. While we couldn't see the enemy, not yet that is, we could see the results of their way of war. Trees all around me were broke down, like twigs broken by a herbivore, and the loose earth was coated in viscera and guts. I could feel the squealing sound of entrails being crushed to mush beneath my boots. It was disgusting. The wounds were grueling too. The men looked as if they were torn apart by some huge simian.

Funny, how close to truth that was.

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp194/hodoalmir/_20161207_232340_zpsdmitkmyz.jpg

Deep in the jungle, I had noticed that my squadmates had vanished from my side. Slowly, I made my way back to the inner perimeter as we were to rendezvous there if we got separated. The fortress' walls were torn down, a huge hole gaping like a maw in its midst. Inside, everyone was dead, blasted and torn to bits and pieces.

There, in the dark and rain, I saw the pale, green eyes and heard the ragged breath of our enemies. I could smell the reek of cancer in the air.

In one brief moment, the scene was set alight by lightning and I could clearly see the enemy.

A giant, tall like three men and four wide, armed in crude metal and bearing a gun unlike any I have ever seen.

He was death.

Death clad in gold and red.

------------------------------------

Long time no see folks, but I'm back with a finished thunderwarrior and a few more things to come :) I've got all the parts for my Vracar and some Terran-pendants to the Mechanicum. I'm also building a VXIIIth, VIIIth and XIXth legion Proto-Astartes truescale in Mk II armor.

Hope you like the update. C&C is always encouraged and appreciated! Have a nice day :)

• 3 months later...

---XX---

The great un-genius

The master of amnesy

It is my honour

For I am the Son of absolute Oblivion

One of seven remaining records of Ghost Legion activity, attributed to REDACTED

--Day 174 of the 27th and last Panpacific War--
--Outskirts of Uman'Dakhar--

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp194/hodoalmir/_20170407_230809_zpsecowpecc.jpg

The room was well lit and scrubbed clean, I could almost see myself in the anti-corrosive ceramite coating. Even our armaments had been taken care of, each and every piece meticulously cleaned and repaired. Can't remember when my gears and servos felt this responsive. A few weapons had broken down during the retreat to the outer ring of the city, my machete was amongst them, but our caretakers had replaced even those with ingenious feats of engineering. The chainsword on my hip felt heavy, certainly heavier than what I was used to, but it was much more dangerous than my old blade. It had been forged recently by the vaunted Terrawatt clan that lived in the Syberska region, or so I was told. Whoever made this weapon had indeed created a fine specimen. The teeth glinted like shards of mirrorglas in the pale-blue light of the headquarter and I could even make out the faint herato-magnetic engravings upon them. The weapon was a fusion of chain- and powerweapon, truly fascinating. The needles in my neck-brace leaked a few drips of adrenox and drenchrome as a reaction to my wish of testing this fine piece of weaponry.

Breathe in.

Breathe out.

Breathe in.

Breathe out.

My mind cleared up now, just in time for the briefing. Three figures entered, two humans and one Astartes. The armored giant had to lower his ehad in order to enter, his warplate did not snarl though. At least not like those that I had already encountered. It had a much softer, deeper purr to it, almost like a background noise of sorts. Still, I could feel my heart pound harder in my chest, it always did when in their presence. The bolter he held across his chest was of an unknown mark to me, then again I only knew the ferrum-01. His armour was of a deep, ashen blue shade, with silver symbols stenciled over it. His shoulder bore a werid, unknown symbol. An alpha overlaid with an omega.

"Lord Ivan, can we begin?" One of the operatives spoke up.

"Hmm? Oh yes" His eyes were hidden behind thick dune-goggles "Ready when you are."

My head hurt for some reason.

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp194/hodoalmir/_20170407_230801_zpskj3urdpz.jpg

The hololith table lit up with a crackling noise, rendering a three dimensional picture of the city in fait green light. The brightness didn't help my headache, so I dimmed my lenses a bit. Why did it even hurt? Why was my heart pounding?.

"Lord Ivan, I am operative-tertius Ithaka" The man was bald, polished even. Looked like a marble "You have been ordered to this facility by the Emperor's own word. Everything that is discussed here, will be memetically sealed in your mind as is to be treated with utmost secrecy. Please affirm."

"We understand and accept Ithaka. The Emperor's word and his stipulations were brought to us by one of his guardians."

"Very well then. Let us begin" The operative's hand begun keying in codes, prompting red spots and text to appear on the projection "You will join us, Unit-XX, in the raid on the Mad Kings archives. This will lead us away from the major engagements and deep into the bowels of this city, thus we will focus on shock and awe tactics, quick redeployment and hit and run tactics. We have been informed that the Krvavi, and by extension the Vračar excel at this kind of warfare, which is why we chose you."

"We'll can't fault you for that. Only ones I could see as being more useful, are the trade-clans and guardians of the various Mercian plateaus and channels. La Familia. Though I suppose that the lack of accesability by aircraft and subterraneous cities made you pick us. Wise choice" The pumping and hammering in my head had not stopped, which made for a nasty distraction "What should we expect to be pitted against? What kind of transport will we need? What are we looking for?"

"We expect only a skeleton-crew of guards and geno-regiments, though we have reason to believe that Dume has released thousands of mutants into the bowels of the city, potentially even witches" Several areas of the hololith lit up, indicating were what kind of threat was expected "We will be accompanied by three Sororita Silentia, which should massively facilitate our mission. Also, Tribune Basilius of the Custodian Guard will serve as His eyes and ears."

"Ah, quite a watchdog then, yes? Whatever pleases the Emperor, I suppose" I unclasped my helmet, hoping that the fresher air would ease the stings "Please, do continue."

"Thank you. Room is copious in the Underbowels and in the archive. We will be taking the Sparatoi-pattern assault vehicle that is currently in your possession, we will not need much more, the Sororitas and the Tribune will provide for themselves." Ikatha manipulated the console after seeing my bewildered gaze, which reformed the hololith into the image of a heavily armoured tank. A true slab of adamantium in the colours of the Vračar.

"Ah you speak of Aida, our fair maiden of war" I joked. The Aida was certainly no maiden, it was a fat, pitted and scarred whale of a tank, big enough to fit forty armed men and women. Her prow was armed with rotor cannons and her sides bore heavy flamers. Ugly thing had seen more war than my whole squad combined. Our joy and pride.

"If you insist, yes" Ithaka seemed slightly brasher now. Not a joking man then, pity "As for what we expect to find, that differs for each subsection. The Sororitas Silentium are tasked with retrieving a psykomantically sealed casket, only He knows what the Tribune must seek and Unit-XX must assassinate the staff of Dume's laboratories and extract as much data as possible. You, the Krvavi, will serve as our support in battle, which means that your primary directive is to fight and to keep our backs free. Your secondary objective is to collect data, if you find the time that is, and alert us of all things that could be pertinent to our search. Understood?"

"Yes, sir." The squad answered as one, as it should be. We were a ragtag group of bastards, posthumans and madmen, but we had discipline burned into our blood and brains.

"Dismissed."

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp194/hodoalmir/_20170407_230748_zpsrugcr7fu.jpg

I was alone inside of the Aida, having took apart my boltpistol, I decided to clean it, both as an exercise and to relax. Truthfully, it didn't need another scrub, the Unit's serfs had done a perfect job. My headache had subsided by now and I felt a little lighter, though I still felt slightly uneasy. As if something was watching me. I focused on the other side of the vehicle, not really on any detail in particular, but on the darkness. Something was in there, I was sure of it.

"Hello?" Might've been foolish of me, in retrospect. Could've been a spy "Anyone in here who's not supposed to be?"

"Greetings Ivan" My eyes darted to the right, just a few inches, and I saw a giant in ashen-blue and black. An astartes.

No.

The astartes.

My mind began racing, the aches recommencing with a shortlived, yet intense vigour. Suddenly, the whole briefing flashed before my inner eye, like a pict-feed being rewound. The astartes was inside that room, with us, for the whole time and I had not noticed. Not actively at least. Maybe I had felt a gum-ache here or a nervous twitch there, but nothing overtly suspicious. He had been there. How? How could I not have noticed nine feet of meat, steel and ceramite? How could I not have noticed inside of the Aida? I had simply...forgotten.

"I am Praetor-Primus Lazav of the Ghost Legion" He did not bear his helmet, so I could see his pale skin and turquoise eyes. He had angular features and a strong nose, like one of us "Outside of this transporter, you will not refer to me as Lord or Sir, but as Lazav. Understood?"

"I...yes?" I gasped, on the verge of dryheaving "What have you...urk...done to me?"

"Nothing, that is a potential, if overtly aggressive reaction to mnemonic shock" A gentle smile crept onto his face, like poison "You remembered me suddenly. Your brain was subconsciously always aware of my presence, but your higher brain was being surpressed. You could not perceive my presence, more or less. I was curious to see how you act without direct, imperial overseeing."

"Well, that was certainly something" My eyes ached, my throat was sore and all of that for the sake of curiosity. I would get along well with this cyka, oh I could already tell "How may I be of assistance?"

"I want you to gather your soldiers, Ivan, and bring them here" A clacking noise arose from his gauntlet and I could see how one of the fingercups opened and slid back, revealing a pale finger "I have to impart some knowledge upon you all."

"Can't I just forward to them whatever you say?" Something about Lazav made me wary, and it was not just the mnemonic shenanigans "Why this need for absolute secrecy?"

Before I could react, his hand had rushed forward and made contact with my neck. As soon as I felt his bare finger touch my skin, my eyes fluttered and everything went black. Nothing had changed when I awoke again. Lazav was on the other end of the Aida, albeit with his helmet on, and my pistol was still dismantled.

"What happened?"

"It's called mnemonic osmosis, Ivan" The stark cyan eyes glinted like jewels in the dark.

We were inside my brain.

Idi nahui.

-----------------------------------------------------

Well, hello everyone :) Sadly today I only have a WiP shot of Ivan for you guys, but I have quite a few plans for builds! First of all, there will be a full unit of Krvavi posthumans, I have finally acquired all parts that I need. A few things are waiting to be done for the Unification Wars. I am painting as we speak and building three Sisters of Silence and a Tribune of the custodes. Also, I am waiting for the basis of Ivan's transport, the Aida, an allmighty Crassus Armoured Assault Transporter! I'll simply replace the weapons and give it a nice and fresh paintjob.

@miteyheroes: Just like a Thunderwarrior should be :D

@Gorgoff: Thanks mate!

@Bernard The slayer: Thank you very much! :)

@bluntblade: Sure mate, don't forget to send me a link though ;)

Also, as a little teaser, half of the build for Praetor-Primus Lazav :)

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/pp194/hodoalmir/_20170407_230736_zps17yhtm90.jpg

Hope you like what I've got for you today. C&C is, as always, highly appreciated and welcome :)

The Mind's Eye

You shall forevermore stand apart from your cousins

They shall march in the light and adolation of the people

You shall stand eternal vigil in the dark, away from their eyes

They are my sword, my hammer, my beloved gift to Mankind

You shall be my dagger, my very own misericordia, my last gift to Mankind

Rise, my twentieth legion

Rise, my ghosts in the dark

Rise

The Emperor's Edict upon the XXth legion

--Day 174 of the 27th and last Panpacific War--
--Outskirts of Uman'Dakhar--

http://i.imgur.com/dQKSBv1.jpg?1

"Here we may speak freely"

The Aida around us seemed none different than the real thing. Everything was still in place, just how I remembered it. Although, now that I had some time to get accustomed to this weird, buzzing feeling in my head, I noticed the fuzzines in the corners of my eyes. Just a slight hint of wrongness.

"What is this? This place?" I muttered, still cranky from the headaches.

"This is how your brain processes instantenious transmitting of thoughts" The legionnaire took a look around, scanning each and every surface much like the warmachine that he was "Fascinating. Very detailed for someone inexperienced."

"So what you are saying is" Was it so difficult to just simply wage war? All this sorcery and subterfuge was aggravating "That by fondling my neck you are telepathically communicating with me? Can't say that the psijicks back at the Citadel did something quite as uncanny as that."

"Usually I wouldn't need to resort to physical contact for most rudimentary transmissions" His cold, stark eyes focused on me again, like a snake "But, on one hand, this is a more complicated matter and, on the other, you have not recently ingested any of my genetic material nor are you one of my ilk."

"So you could do this stuff to me without touching me, if I had taken a bite out of your calf?" My time with the Thunderwarriors had been rife with such practices. Didn't expect such from the Emperor's own angels however "That's disgusting."

"Technically, a small cup of blood would suffice" Lazav's smile was uncanny in its sincerity, like a crocodilian beast hiding beneath the murky rad-water "Now, to the matter at hand."

"To the matter at hand."

http://i.imgur.com/Yf0znc8.jpg?1

"You must understand, that secrecy is of utmost importance to us, Ivan" Even though he had sat down, he still towered head and shoulder above me "You must not, under any circumstances try to break the memetic subroutines that you have received back in the bastion. Am I understood?"

"Yes, yes, obviously such a mission must stay secret-"
"No, this is not only about the mission. We, Unit-XX, must stay a secret." The pale face had turned serious, which struck me as much more pelasing and fitting for an astartes instead of any display of joy "Apart from the Custodian Guard, the Sororitas Silentium, the Emperor and a few handpicked agents, nobody knows of our existence."

"Not even your cousins?" A slightly burning sensation spread through my chest and throat. Anxiety "Not even the Dusk Raiders or the Children of the Night? Not even the First?"

"Not even them and that is to remain so under all circumstances. If anything leaked, it could potentially undo decades worth of work." Lazav's eyes were unsettling. So pure, unmarred "Do you understand?"

"I do" My mind was racing as I chewed on my lip "Why is that so? This secrecy?"

"You are a curious one, aren't you Ivan?" The legionnaire seemed astonished "Millenia ago, the Terrans had a proverb about curiosity, bags and felines."

"I know but you said we could talk freely here."

"Ah, and so we can."

http://i.imgur.com/LT0yYBi.jpg?1

"The Ghost Legion, the Twentieth, was created as the last of the legions, though some of us predate that founding by a long shot. You see, the Emperor was quick to test his newest creations for their aptitude in subterfuge and hidden warfare. I can still remember the time when the Tenth was young. I certainly was not the first, though I was born before the Mericas and the Yndu'skan had fallen. The Emperor had barely reared his head from the Hymalazian and partially conquered the Yropean plateau. The ruins of Straya had joined him freely. Our function, my function, was to be the blade in the dark. Assassins. Thiefs. Spectres. We were the trap that sprung only when the last morsel was picked and it was way too late. Yet also we were the blade that turned against its own ranks, sniffing for betrayal and disloyalty. Naturally, we began exploiting operatives very early on. Can't have an astartes in every corner, now can we?"

"So that means that you have seeded all the ranks of His empire?" That was big news indeed "Fascinating and yet disturbing."

"One might certainly put it that way. Some of us have even served alongside the Sororitas Silentium, especially in those cases where our brute force was desired. I can still remember the techno-witches of the Korova-Sentience" He pointed towards the two eagles covering his vambraces and the metal decorations above his tabard "These I received for my distinguished service at their side. Looks pretty, but the inbuilt temporary null-fields have come in quite handy at times. I've also served alongside the Custodian Guard, for which I was awarded the highest honour someone outside of their ranks could achieve: my very own Misericordia."

"A Misericordia?" I reached out for the beautifully sheathed dagger, but Lazav pulled it away, an angry, almost insulted tinge spread in his eyes.

"One is not to hold another's Misericordia. That is a crime punishable by death. This is not a mere dagger." The legionnaire unsheathed the blade. It was pale silver with vine etchings across its layered blade. The guard was composed of two golden eagleheads and terminated in a black leather hilt "It is a symbol of the Emperor's authority. This denotes me as directly empowered by him. I act in his name and am his word. Well, in the shadows that is. Naturally, none can enjoy quite the same privileges that the Custodians enjoy, but it is still more than most can even dream of."

"I did not know that I was standing in the presence of royalty" I scoffed, which might have been a bad idea in retrospect, but such things came involuntarily when one was used to such banter.

"Not royalty" Lazav smiled, curelty and grace mingling beneath the deep sea of his eyes "But the Emperor's shadow."

http://i.imgur.com/rH1hbU3.jpg?1

"And your gun and your sword?" I pointed to his other, more obvious armaments "What about them?"

"This gun, if such an ordinary term can even describe it, is a bolter. It is the holy armament of the astartes. What the guardian spear is to the Custodian, the bolter is to the space marine" The gun was massive, easily the size of my torso, and outfitted with a silencer and a scope "It was handcrafted beneath the Sc'ndanavian plateau and each and every mass-reactive round is a combination of immaculate engineering and handwork. It has served me well, hasn't failed me once and I hope to one day die with it in my hands."

"To be quite frank, that beast looks too heavy even for me to lift, but maybe you hoggers will get that technology passed down to us runts, eh?" Lazav didn't seem to mind my comments, I certainly couldn't tell by his expression "And the sword?"

"Ah yes, this gladius was given to me by the Terrawatt clansmen" The silver blade glittered in the dark-orange light of the Aida. It was featureless, save for the emerald in its crossguard, yet still a flawless piece of smithing "A very fine weapon, fit enough to even sunder astartes battleplate."

"Even to sunder astartes battleplate?" The very same instance he had uttered these words, a cold, slithering feeling had spread down my back "How would you know?"

"Well Ivan, sometimes the blade must turn towards its very own ranks" There was this cruelty in his eyes again "Sometimes there is outgrowth that must be culled."

The dream ended.

------------------------------------------------------------

Hey folks :smile.: So, Lazav is basically finished, I am only waiting for a custodes misericordia to be delivered to my PO box and I can start painting. I've slapped some basing materials on him, I'll probably go with an ash-waste theme, not sure yet.

@Vairocanum: Thanks mate, glad you enjoy it! :smile.:

@Dragonlover: Well, i mean, depending on the circumstances the Dimir- eh I mean the Alpha Legion always adapts :wink:

@Radiation: Thanks man! :smile.:

So, just as a little comparison, I've also attached a picture of Lazav next to Ivan, so you can see the size difference :smile.:

Ivan
http://i.imgur.com/Hjnyswf.jpg?1

Hope you like him, there will be some paint very soon. I am still clearing my Badab War table, but that one is nearly done :smile.:

C&C is, as always, very welcome and highly appreciated!

• 4 months later...

Wake and March

My blood for the Clan

My honour for the Company

My loyalty for the Vojvod

Oath of the Vračar, Pre-Imperial S'rban for Witcher

aBWUqlW.jpg?1

>>>>>Pict-Reconstruction//M.30: Edi Galić, Infanterist of the Vračar, attached to 1st Company The Vojvod's Own<<<<<

Clearly visible in this Pict-Capture is the Basliensis-Pattern Sealed-Armour, one of the few known patterns of fully sealed, void-capable suits of armour pre-unification. The Vračar did not have access to void-capable crafts, but used their armour to great effect for engagements in toxic and irradiated areas (See file MEDITERRANEAN DEATHZONE). As a mercenary company, the Vračar have sent their forces to most corners of Terra at some point; their gene-soldiers have garnered a fearsome reputation as a formidable heavy assault force and have brokered trade-relationships with various other clans and families. This is likely the explanation for the widespread use of the Hyena-Pattern helm.

6MfRDbE.jpg?1

While the Vračar were quite uniform in armour during the Unification Wars, their choice of weaponry was not. Edi, as depicted here, bears a standard Ukkar-pattern stub-gun, a popular choice next to several shotgun patterns. Energy weaponry is largely unknown amongst the rank and file, though some volkite-class weaponry appears within the armouries of ranking officers and walkers. The Vračar usually lure their enemies into trenches, cities and building, where they can then concentrate their fire and bring their modified, genic muscles to bear.

EHEpAAt.jpg?1

Basilensis, northernmost hive-state within the Helvetian wasteland, has become the central hub of Vračar operation somewhen in M.24, although the original bastion in the ruins of BelGradha, the White City, still is manned, upheld and serves mainly as a place of production and induction of new soldiers. The Schwytzer-pattern dagger on Edi's belt is a symbol of the veteran units located at fort Basilensis; a dagger of layered steel with intricately woven power-lines, an ideal weapon in the savage wars of old Terra. It is fort Basilensis that would prove to be one of the most vital staging points for the reconquest of the Yropean peninsula and the opening of the Goddardian Vault.

XBRVWuV.jpg?1

--------------------------------------------------

IT LIVES AGAIN! It has been quite some time, but I have returned to the Unification Era with my first fully built Vračar Trooper. I've noticed the Solar Auxilia emblem on his flask, I'll have to file that away. Lazav is also painted and will feature shortly. As you can see, the images are still broken, but as there are not that many I need to replace, I'll do that soon with sharper, better images.

@Commissar Molotov: Thanks mate, glad you like it!

@lionofjudah: Thank you kindly mate! The next few things I'd liek to explore are the Terrawatt Clans, the Vračar, the Helvetian Technocracy and I'll also be doing a small collection of Fallout New-Vegas-esque mercenaries (As well as some more Astartes truescales).

@Vairocanum: Cheers mate! I try to add some tongue in cheek humour where I can :)

Alright, that is all for today, some paint is comming very soon (Although mortarion is looming just over the horizon...). Hope you like this small preview, and I hope to be back on track with the Unification Era stuff. Have a nice day!

Archived