The Algianus Crusade (Painting and Questions, yay!)

Octothorpe

While I've been active in the 40k hobby for years now, I've never actually played an army out of Codex: Space Marines. I wanted to try a "well painted" army, and while looking over images, I can only say that I was filled with zeal for... zeal! Got some marines, an upgrade sprue, and some scouts just in time to see the Imperial Fists Expansion painting event. 

My first completed model, Brother-Chaplain Theobald. This chaplain always seemed very Templar-y, so I didn't think he really needed any conversion other than a shoulder pad and a few bits of chain. (Still have yet to decide how to base the army, so pay no attention to the naked base.)

Brother-Chaplain Theobald

Brother-Chaplain Theobald

Still working on some conversions on the rest of the squad  (especially the neophytes- I forgot how much I hate the default scout body, but a bit of greenstuff and filing takes care of most of the issues). Need an opinion for my initiates, though. Should I shoot for matching shoulderpads (i.e. molded templar cross from the upgrade sprue on both shoulders, or flat pad with decal on both shoulders), or mix and match? I'm painting without shoulderpads on, so I still have time to decide, but I don't really have any strong opinions one way or the other.

First off, congratulations on starting your crusade!

A chaplain is an excellent place to start and you've done a very good job on Theobald. I especially like your golds. Very rich looking.

Regarding your initiates, I like to see a mixture of shoulder pad types. ZEAL comes in many varieties. :)

Please do continue.

Cheers,

Archived