Solar Auxilia Tactica

ChaosReigns

The rules are the same for both Marines and Auxilia, except one uses armor saves and the other just saves.  The re-roll rule is separate from the "void hardened" portion in both cases. A  greedy and jealous person could argue the latest version of the rule takes precedence, :P but I'll let you re-roll yours if I can re-roll mine. ;)

The rules are the same for both Marines and Auxilia, except one uses armor saves and the other just saves.  The re-roll rule is separate from the "void hardened" portion in both cases. A  greedy and jealous person could argue the latest version of the rule takes precedence, :tongue.: but I'll let you re-roll yours if I can re-roll mine. :wink:

Nah man, can't apply the rules of one list to another! 

That'd be like saying my dirt cheap Auxilia quad launchers have to pay for extra shells! 

I've assembled my army for Thursday's game. It's time to deploy the glory of the Executioners and Rotor Cannon Veletarii!

http://i.imgur.com/QAotf2s.jpg
Edited by The God-Potato of Mankind

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

With my Death Guard finishing up I wanted to get back to my side project of Solar Auxilia.

I generally use storm sections with choom in dracs but was going to get a lasrife squad to bulk out my numbers.  However, I got thinking instead of taking a lasrife squad why not take multi laser rapiers instead?   Both are priced pretty closely and pump out a similar amount of shots. 

Pros of rapiers

T7

Str 6 shooting every turn

no range reduction

Twin Linked

Cons

Less wounds

More vulnerable to morale

Can't bring a ages defense line

So what do you think?  Would it be better to take rapiers instead of lasrife sections? 

Edited by MrFlutterPie

• 2 months later...

Llemans are one of the most exciting parts of an already exciting list imo.

Sponsons be damned, tank commanders and the special rules of the Strike and Assault squadrons are deliciously different. I run 2 Vanqs each with their own commander for dedicated AV, with outlfank and tank hunter. A duo or trio of incinerators would be an expensive but greatly entertaining choice. 5BS w/2x BS4 volkite demi-culverin :biggrin.: PLUS a hull weapon and pintlemount.

As an incredibly sexy incentive, the SA 'pattern' or environment sealing is identical to the Krieg stuff, so you can snaffle very authentic looking Llemans for your SA army. One of the many things I like about SA is their similarity to Guard, but I'll be damned if I'm going to place an identi-kit genero-Guard army on the table with all the store kiddies. My armies will draw wondrous gasps at how obviously financiallly reckless I am from my audience!

That, my dear God-Potato, is why my first purchase for them was a Malcador Infernus and a Stormlord to stuff with Veletaris. Go big (and go CHOOM!) or go home.

With my Death Guard finishing up I wanted to get back to my side project of Solar Auxilia.

I generally use storm sections with choom in dracs but was going to get a lasrife squad to bulk out my numbers. However, I got thinking instead of taking a lasrife squad why not take multi laser rapiers instead? Both are priced pretty closely and pump out a similar amount of shots.

Pros of rapiers

T7

Str 6 shooting every turn

no range reduction

Twin Linked

Cons

Less wounds

More vulnerable to morale

Can't bring a ages defense line

So what do you think? Would it be better to take rapiers instead of lasrife sections?

Get an ADL for another unit and just put Rapiers behind them.

• 3 months later...

I've been messing around with a few lists and ideas on where to plug the anti-armour parts of my list. As it stands right now, I'm a little torn.

For around 615pts I can get three Vanquishers, which is where one of my Tank Commanders would be going.
For 570pts though I can get a Malcador Heavy and a Primaris Lightning loaded for anti-armour. Failing that there's always a Valdor.

So basically, Leman Russ' or Malcadors?

In which case, I'd say go with what you like the most!

The Russ' will be more of a "Whitte down with the occasional bang", same with the Malcador.

The Lightning however is a Delete button that then becomes a bit useless/ dead weight.

Jeah, pretty much what he says.

• 1 month later...

What's the opinion on flamer sections vs. Storm sections? Im having trouble deciding which one to put in my dracosan.

Flamer section is more deadly but costs a bit more and has less range than storm section. But 10 flamers is a great deterrent for guys charging your objective.

Storm section has longer range and higher strength weapons but overall will probably have less hits compared to flamer section.

They're both beautiful models

What's the opinion on flamer sections vs. Storm sections? Im having trouble deciding which one to put in my dracosan.

Flamer section is more deadly but costs a bit more and has less range than storm section. But 10 flamers is a great deterrent for guys charging your objective.

Storm section has longer range and higher strength weapons but overall will probably have less hits compared to flamer section.

They're both beautiful models

Storm Sections don't require an Infantry Section like Flamers do, which usually makes the decision for a lot of people I think. 

I've considered bringing a single Flamer Section to sit back with my Infantry as a deterrent from Deep Strike/Outflank/take charges, but I think that's mostly my desire to paint something else talking.

Edited by Lord Marshal

• 5 months later...

Hey guys, as I'm getting into SA and my first list attempt failed miserably :D , I wanted to ask for your advice.

What are the big do's and don'ts when starting an Auxilia army? My meta isn't over the top, I'm aiming at a well rounded 3000 points list. Any help is appreciated.

• 6 months later...

What is your list Caedus? Need something to start on.

*casts thread necromancy*

So I have a 30k mini-campaign this weekend and we're playing 1500pts under Centurion rules. 

tl;dr it means no tanks, only one MC per army. So lotta infantry. 

I've decided to bring my auxilia to spice things up, no idea how well they'll function in a mass MEQ environment:

List:

Lord Marshal with pretty much all goodies except for melee (plasma pistol) 

Command Section - 2 Veterans with GLs

Surgeon dude

3x Medicae Orderlies with needle pistols

3x Ogryns

Engineer, most goodies, 6x automata with grenade launchers

Household retinue, plasma pistol prime

Lasrifle section

2x Storm Section, shroud bombs

Castellax w/darkfire & ETA

Cyclops

I initially thought of running 6 ogryns but instead augmented the medicae by 1 orderlie, added 2 more automata and the cyclops instead. I think I also had points for a plasma pistol on the Guard too. I thought 6 Ogryns would be glorious in such a "meta" but the cyclops just seems more...fun. 

The automata and Castellax are there to kill the inevitable dreadnoughts and everything else is designed to be anti-infantry really. 

Will report back, any C&Cs welcome.

EDIT:

I have returned, with much fanfare over my 33% win rate :) 

Things I noted:

1) Ogryns are hot garbage, never take them. They exist to mulch MEQ, but will attract all the attention of TEQ/HQ. Any sane MEQ will stay far out of range of them. 

2) Veletarii are nice, but not nice enough to take more than one, preferably Household Retinue. 15 inch range just is not enough with AP5. I've decimated a tactical squad in one volley, the other time they all made armour saves and moved 3 inches, rapid fired me to oblivion

3) Household retinue with aevos & lord marshal is a nice lil bundle of firepower. 2 plasma pistols with PE:I plus the mass volkite is much better than just 20 volkite shots. They are, imo, an autoinclude 

4) Lasrifle sections are the bee's knees. They rock my socks, 36 inch heavy 2 is glorious anti-infantry firepower. Volume>volkite charges. 4s to hit and 5s to wound (on average) is pretty poor but on 40 dice per 100 points it actually becomes glorious. 300 points for 80 shots will be perfectly ample to take out MEQ and chip away at terminators. Also massive bonus points for being able to conga line to control multiple objectives

5)  Medicae orderlies are great, especially in lasrifle sections. Makes them resist bolter fire that little bit easier. Needle pistols also hitting on 4s wounding on 4s with rending makes them better at killing MEQ than lasrifles

6) Enginseer/automata needs to be spammed. I wouldn't recommend the graviton gun on the enginseer, heavy 18 inch doesnt synergise well with the assault/salvo nature of the better automata weapons. The small blast at bs3 is also painfully hand to land. Tempest grenades, however, are the best thing ever. I got unlucky on dice rolls and repeatedly whittled down Dreadnoughts to 1 wound (All types, haywire cares not whether you're a contemptor, cortus or levi)....one levi made four 4+ invuln saves on his last wound 

7) DO NOT GET IN RANGE OF GRAV FLUX BOMBARDS OH GOD EMPEROR NO

8) Veletarii are hilariously, surpsingly good in melee. If you need to, dont be afraid to throw them at tactical marines. I'm almost tempted to put fists on the sergeant because 4+ 5+ fnp with WS5 is surprisingly good at surviving the initial hits due to lower initiative. Just beware sergeants with power weapons....

9) Castellax make for excellent fire support. BS4 Dark lances are highly effective anti-dreadnought weapons 

10) Command sections are auto-include. Precision bombardment is an epic opening salvo and nuked a Sekhment squad and wiped an entire tactical & diabolist in two games. Veterans with tempest shells are like flesh, superior servo automata. 

11) Leadership games are strenk with Auxilia, LD10 with the Lord Marshal about and the 24 inch immunity from the command section make them hold the line better than astartes

12) Overwatch at bs2 is fun

My main takeaway from the campaign is ditch the ogryns, only take household guard with volkite and buy more lasrifles and servo-automata. That way glorious victory lies. 

Edited by God-Potato of Mankind

• 4 months later...

+++Resurrection time++++

***Awaken solar auxilia data core***

—loading gnu Heresy army from foreign soils—

{expected arrival imminent}

~~understanding of SA capabilities currently based on olde earth languaging from the 20.18 time— **query** has the meta changed or are we still operating in the past of 7th

#status I’ve not played since ... a long time ago#

+++ current SA army awaiting painting

Expecting

2 command squad

Veletaris section

3 lasrifle sections

6 ogryn

6 dracosans

1 Arvus

2 infernus

2 valdor

2 malcadors

2 SH

And a few things I already have from collecting bits n bobs over the years

**query**

++ does the black tome of goodness, ie- conquest, collate the necessary goodies to fully run SA without the red book of smaller and easier to carry ness <but without the full fluffiness>??

***query*** seems like the Ogryn are a hit if no one shoots at them but everyone knows to kill them ASAP and they are points intensive and

Should be avoided.~when would you use them?? ZM?

***query***dracosans carrying lasrifles are good

***query*** Veletaris Squads- flamer or volkite?— seems to me a 10 man squad of flamers in a dracosan with a demo cannon is a good idea- thoughts?

***query***infernus is good for nopeing lots of meq/teq- any reason to take valdor?

***query***stormblade or baneblade?

If Ogryns are playable or not depends on two factors:

What kind of armies are played in your gaming group and how dense is the terrain you play on?

In Zone Mortalis they are terrifying of course.

Always Volkite because CHOOOM CHOOOM POWER!

Flamer Sections are a support section anyway. But I'd certainly bring one after first including two Volkite Storm Sections, but that's just personal taste Ten templates is just so nice.

Stormblade > Baneblade IMHO.

Thought for the day:  CHOOM for the CHOOM god !

Thanks guys...boxes arrived and it looks like I was a lil off... I am looking at 100 lasriflemen, 20 flamers and 10 choomsters along with 2 termites I wasn’t expecting.

Has anyone used them?? Models are great and I’m excited with the idea of 2 sections of flamers erupting from the backfield to roast some stuff while the Arvus with volkite squad and a medic land to choom more dudes.

The sheer number of infantry is daunting but thankfully they are already assembled and have a light green primer loosely sprayed.

I’m looking at lists on BattleScribe and I have a TON of points even before upgrades

Thanks guys...boxes arrived and it looks like I was a lil off... I am looking at 100 lasriflemen, 20 flamers and 10 choomsters along with 2 termites I wasn’t expecting.

Has anyone used them?? Models are great and I’m excited with the idea of 2 sections of flamers erupting from the backfield to roast some stuff while the Arvus with volkite squad and a medic land to choom more dudes.

The sheer number of infantry is daunting but thankfully they are already assembled and have a light green primer loosely sprayed.

I’m looking at lists on BattleScribe and I have a TON of points even before upgrades

• 4 months later...

So what is the current cookie cutter for Solar Aux , Ive been building and painting them to use for 40k  but a close friend has been prodding me to get back to the HH for a while.   Just sort of asking for what the core  + heavy hitters should look like. 

• 10 months later...

So what is the current cookie cutter for Solar Aux , Ive been building and painting them to use for 40k but a close friend has been prodding me to get back to the HH for a while. Just sort of asking for what the core + heavy hitters should look like.

The heavy hitters are the Veletaris squads in dracosans, and their Demolisher cannons.

Basilisk batteries in the background to cover where the demolishers/medusas don't reach.

Outflanking leman russes. Though a Primaris lighting with Kraken Penetrators does the job better. It's just too good, maybe even broken, but I'm not sure.

So what is the current cookie cutter for Solar Aux , Ive been building and painting them to use for 40k but a close friend has been prodding me to get back to the HH for a while. Just sort of asking for what the core + heavy hitters should look like.

The heavy hitters are the Veletaris squads in dracosans, and their Demolisher cannons.

Basilisk batteries in the background to cover where the demolishers/medusas don't reach.

Outflanking leman russes. Though a Primaris lighting with Kraken Penetrators does the job better. It's just too good, maybe even broken, but I'm not sure.

But can you truly face marine tanks with this? Or a melee heavy marine army with drop pods?

The outflanking russ battlecannon is a S8 ordinance gun. It can become a vanquisher, which trades the Large Blast for heavy 1 Armorbane at the same range and the same price. So yeah, it can deal with marine tanks. Beware invulns and cover saves.

The Kraken penetrators are also S8 armorbane, but on a more fragile platform and one-use each. They can be shot all at once though, so you can have 6 armorbane shots in the turn you come from reserves, as opposed to one per tank in the russ squad. Beware "Interceptor".

The artillery units are ordinance and barrage, which means they roll twice against the side armor (great against flare shields), so they can be used for anti-tank too.

Drop pod heavy marine armies are the greatest threat to your low rear AV vehicles and aegis defense line deployments.

Assuming the marines are coming in their fastest assault transport (any of the spiky pods), they need to wait at the very least until turn 2 in order to charge. The heat blast can hurt your infantry, but usually not your tanks.

It all depends on if you can land 2 of those high-strength pie plates on each drop pod: one to pop the pod open, the other to flatten what's inside.

Edited by The Scorpion