Solar Auxilia Tactica

ChaosReigns

The outflanking russ battlecannon is a S8 ordinance gun. It can become a vanquisher, which trades the Large Blast for heavy 1 Armorbane at the same range and the same price. So yeah, it can deal with marine tanks. Beware invulns and cover saves.

The Kraken penetrators are also S8 armorbane, but on a more fragile platform and one-use each. They can be shot all at once though, so you can have 6 armorbane shots in the turn you come from reserves, as opposed to one per tank in the russ squad. Beware "Interceptor".

The artillery units are ordinance and barrage, which means they roll twice against the side armor (great against flare shields), so they can be used for anti-tank too.

Drop pod heavy marine armies are the greatest threat to your low rear AV vehicles and aegis defense line deployments.

Assuming the marines are coming in their fastest assault transport (any of the spiky pods), they need to wait at the very least until turn 2 in order to charge. The heat blast can hurt your infantry, but usually not your tanks.

It all depends on if you can land 2 of those high-strength pie plates on each drop pod: one to pop the pod open, the other to flatten what's inside.

Thanks for the answer. I guess that my question is more a mathammer one, since I find that the costs for those tanks are high and BS3 hurts. I understand part of the appeal of 30k is the fluff, which I also like. But I am surprised I haven't found as many mathhammer analysis for 30k.

I might do one with spartans vs militia tank orders.

I understand part of the appeal of 30k is the fluff, which I also like. But I am surprised I haven't found as many mathhammer analysis for 30k.

That's because when we say that we play because of the fluff and for the aethetics It's no lip service. Most of us are dead serious about this stuff.

In fact most HH players I know quit 40k because they where bored and annoyed by the meta and the WAAC attitude which is widely spread.

Not saying that 40k players are all WAAC of course.

30k is as much about the modelling as it is about the gameplay.

You'd be hard pressed to find someone playing 30k with armies that are 50% unpainted, or full spam lists and such.

Takes a special kind of breed and dedication to invest one grand for a 2k army. Qualities you rarely find in "that guy". Obviously (and luckily!) It's gotten WAY more effordable in the last years but most people has maintained their kind of dedication to the fluff etc.

Takes a special kind of breed and dedication to invest one grand for a 2k army. Qualities you rarely find in "that guy". Obviously (and luckily!) It's gotten WAY more effordable in the last years but most people has maintained their kind of dedication to the fluff etc.

>MFW Forge World prices amount to a resin tax meant to keep 'That Guy' away.

It is true that it has become more affordable though, and not only objectively but in a relative way as well. Not being forced to buy new units just to counter the latest Codex cheese makes the 30k army cheaper in the long therm, and with Geedubs raising prices, there will soon be no difference between a Deimos Rhino and a Mars-pattern one.

Solar Auxilia will always be expensive tho. The only plastic kit is the leman russ, but using it ruins the whole "explorator adaptation" aesthetic.

I understand part of the appeal of 30k is the fluff, which I also like. But I am surprised I haven't found as many mathhammer analysis for 30k.

That's because when we say that we play because of the fluff and for the aethetics It's no lip service. Most of us are dead serious about this stuff.

In fact most HH players I know quit 40k because they where bored and annoyed by the meta and the WAAC attitude which is widely spread.

I am not saying otherwise. For me, the stability of 30k over 40k is a boon. Now, I also want to play battles that are fun for everyone. Bringing a terrible force to the table won't make for a fun game with my opponent.

>MFW Forge World prices amount to a resin tax meant to keep 'That Guy' away.

It is true that it has become more affordable though, and not only objectively but in a relative way as well. Not being forced to buy new units just to counter the latest Codex cheese makes the 30k army cheaper in the long therm, and with Geedubs raising prices, there will soon be no difference between a Deimos Rhino and a Mars-pattern one.

Solar Auxilia will always be expensive tho. The only plastic kit is the leman russ, but using it ruins the whole "explorator adaptation" aesthetic.

Yes, I do understand that. However, I was checking the auxilia units and, point by point, they do not seem terrible effective compared to the standard legion units. That's what worried me a bit, since if it becomes too one sided it isn't fun for anyone playing.

But perhaps I missjudged their tank capacity? That's why I am asking for a tad more of analysis, if anyone would be kind enough to show it to me.

Solar Aux are one of the better tank armies considering:

HQ:

• Lord Marshall because why not
  • Tank Commander HQ in your beefiest tank

Troops:

• Veletaris (of choice) in Dracosan DT w/ Demolisher
  • Copy paste a number of times you want to fill out troops or more

Elites:

• Enginseers w/ Tempest Shell Grenade Launcher Servo-Automata

Fast Attack:

• Leman Russ Strike Squadron (1-3 tanks)

Heavy Support:

• Leman Russ Assault Squadron (1-3 tanks)
  • Either a Malcador Chassis (infernus, most likely) or more Leman Russ'

Lord of War:

• Stormlord: Shove your enginseer w/ Haywire vomiting Servo-Automata in there.

If you have the points, you can shove a lot of tanks into an SA army.

Solar Aux are one of the better tank armies considering:

HQ:

• Lord Marshall because why not
  • Tank Commander HQ in your beefiest tank

Troops:

• Veletaris (of choice) in Dracosan DT w/ Demolisher
  • Copy paste a number of times you want to fill out troops or more

Elites:

• Enginseers w/ Tempest Shell Grenade Launcher Servo-Automata

Fast Attack:

Heavy Support:

• Leman Russ Assault Squadron (1-3 tanks)

Lord of War:

• Stormlord: Shove your enginseer w/ Haywire vomiting Servo-Automata in there.

If you have the points, you can shove a lot of tanks into an SA army.

Thanks! Some questions:

• are lasrifle sections not viable?
  • related, would a less tank spammy army work? (artillery, more infantry)
  • in your opinion, what talon units synergize well with auxilia?

And, again, thanks !

Lasrifles are viable, sure, but taking a Demolisher on a Dracosan cuts its transport from 20 to 10 meaning your minimum sized 20 man Lasrifle section can no longer ride insdide.

If youre using lasrifles might as well take an Aegis as their "DT" and make a shooting bunker with them.

Your only source of Artillery is in Elites (Rapiers, via quad mortars) or Heavy Support via the Artillery Tank Squadron which may only be a 0-1 choice for your entire detachment.

Talons of the Emps do one thing which Solar Aux should essentially never consider: Close Combat. Meanwhile, Custodes have issues with board control and being a relatively shortrange army outside of their Vehicles.

Lasrifles are viable, sure, but taking a Demolisher on a Dracosan cuts its transport from 20 to 10 meaning your minimum sized 20 man Lasrifle section can no longer ride insdide.

If youre using lasrifles might as well take an Aegis as their "DT" and make a shooting bunker with them.

Your only source of Artillery is in Elites (Rapiers, via quad mortars) or Heavy Support via the Artillery Tank Squadron which may only be a 0-1 choice for your entire detachment.

Talons of the Emps do one thing which Solar Aux should essentially never consider: Close Combat. Meanwhile, Custodes have issues with board control and being a relatively shortrange army outside of their Vehicles.

This is appreciated! Food for thought while I work on my models.

I find that Leman Russ Tanks are horribly overpriced.

An outflanking squad of 3 normal (or vanquisher) with lascannons costs 555 pts. A barebones squad of 3 volkite incinerators cost the same (and can't even outflank).

For the same price you could get a barebones Stormhammer, or a Valdor tank Commander + Primaris Lighting (4 kraken, 2 sunfury) anti-tank combo.

Edited by The Scorpion

• 2 weeks later...

The artillery tank is not 0-1 in the Solar Auxilia list as far as I know. Edited by The Scorpion

The artillery tank is not 0-1 in the Solar Auxilia list as far as I know.

It is not you are 100% correct, the only 0-1 I can see is the adorable Cyclops Demolition Vehicle

• 4 weeks later...

Very eloquently put, Gorgoff, and I couldn't agree more. I would add that the bar in terms of painting and modelling is much higher, because narrative and hobby go hand in hand, naturally. Heresy is about a having an immersive experience, not about winning or losing.  

• 3 weeks later...

Very eloquently put, Gorgoff, and I couldn't agree more. I would add that the bar in terms of painting and modelling is much higher, because narrative and hobby go hand in hand, naturally. Heresy is about a having an immersive experience, not about winning or losing.  

Yes and no, it is about winning, like any other wargame... Just not at the expense of aesthetics and basic fluff. It's about being as competitive as possible, but within the boundarries of what your army is meant to represent.

Solar Auxilia embodies the core of that philosophy. It's a powerful army with strong builds, but no one will invest on it becuse of that alone. The reason people are drawn to the Auxilia is the modelling first and foremost. Gameplay comes in a steady second place.

• 3 weeks later...

Ogryn Charonites are BRUTAL in combat, but they need Leadership. A Lord Marshall on the board (and not in combat or falling back) solves this, or you can just put him in with the Ogryns. They also have only one option for an Assault Transport - the Stormlord - which is a lot of points. Brilliant though. :smile.:

Doesn't the Stormlord suffers from putting all of the eggs in one basket? (said basket being the Stormlord itself)

Can't Ogryns be transported in Arvus lighters?

Ogryn Charonites are BRUTAL in combat, but they need Leadership. A Lord Marshall on the board (and not in combat or falling back) solves this, or you can just put him in with the Ogryns. They also have only one option for an Assault Transport - the Stormlord - which is a lot of points. Brilliant though. :smile.:

Doesn't the Stormlord suffers from putting all of the eggs in one basket? (said basket being the Stormlord itself)

Sure.

Earliest arrival turn 2, charge turn 3.

Pretty much useless like every close combat unit coming out of a non assault vehicle or via outflank.

Sure.

Earliest arrival turn 2, charge turn 3.

Pretty much useless like every close combat unit coming out of a non assault vehicle or via outflank.

Sometimes I wonder why FW is so afraid of charges in turn 1 or 2 . It's not like HH games last more than 4-5 turns.

They arent. It just so happens that thats how those rule interactions happen.

Case and point: the Dreadclaw. Pretty much guarantees T2 Charges for the unit inside.

It's spiky and ugly hell though, with none of the elegance of an outflanking. But yeah, I guess I can't truly complain looking at the big picture.

I'm just biased cuz I wish Fleet went back to 6th edition's Run & Charge, so that the Sons of Horus "Black Reaving" would become a strong RoW again.

But returning to Solar Auxilia, I just realized that the Arvus is a DT, not an actual FA choice, which means there is no transport for Ogryns in the entire army other than the Stormlord... yikes. I guess the Ogryns are meant for Zone Mortalis then.

Edited by The Scorpion

It's spiky and ugly hell though, with none of the elegance of an outflanking. But yeah, I guess I can't truly complain looking at the big picture.

I'm just biased cuz I wish Fleet went back to 6th edition's Run & Charge, so that the Sons of Horus "Black Reaving" would become a strong RoW again.

But returning to Solar Auxilia, I just realized that the Arvus is a DT, not an actual FA choice, which means there is no transport for Ogryns in the entire army other than the Stormlord... yikes. I guess the Ogryns are meant for Zone Mortalis then.

Fleets Run and Charge was actually 5th ed. 6th & 7th its re-roll runs and charges but doesnt explicity allow you to do both in the same turn.

Ogryns are also a big tough CC unit in what is otherwise a Shooting + Tank army. Their main purpose is as counter charge / deterrent or distraction carnifexes.

• 3 months later...