Solar Auxilia Tactica

ChaosReigns

No, you're correct. The SA have no access to assault transports within their own list. Not even the Stormlord (the LoW superheavy transport you're thinking of) :(

The power axe Storm section seems intended for ZM for the most part

No, you're correct. The SA have no access to assault transports within their own list. Not even the Stormlord (the LoW superheavy transport you're thinking of) :(

Page 285 in HH book 4 is the entry for the auxilia stormlord. Seems like the only way to allow an assault vehicle of sorts. This works out, because it's an awesome tank.

Even then, though, it's probably not a good idea to get too close since rear armor is only 12. Hmm...

Edited by Venomlust

No, you're correct. The SA have no access to assault transports within their own list. Not even the Stormlord (the LoW superheavy transport you're thinking of) :sad.:

Page 285 in HH book 4 is the entry for the auxilia stormlord. Seems like the only way to allow an assault vehicle of sorts. This works out, because it's an awesome tank.

Even then, though, it's probably not a good idea to get too close since rear armor is only 12. Hmm...

Oh duh it's open topped. But yeah, there's the conflict of wanting to run it as a firebase as models can shoot from it too. Only 20 can shoot though, so you could keep a Stormaxe section inside as a deterrent?

Oh duh it's open topped. But yeah, there's the conflict of wanting to run it as a firebase as models can shoot from it too. Only 20 can shoot though, so you could keep a Stormaxe section inside as a deterrent?

Yeah that could work. I wonder if there's anything stopping one from parking a stormlord full of veletaris flamer sections behind a promethium relay to gain access to torrent. Ordinarily special rules for units embarked in vehicles use the hull of their transport for measuring distances, so unless there's something in the promethium relay's rules that requires the guardsmen to be on the table that would be fun, if situational.

Just listening to the latest Eye of Horus Podcast. In Inferno IV, Spencer ran the Cyclops Remote Demolitions Unit with atomantic imploders. They sound like the most hilarious Distraction Carnifex ever!

Strength D, AP 1, Ordnance 1, Blast, Blind, Instant Death. They'd be so much fun to run! :smile.:

Run multiple of them with Ireton McSade so that when they die, they come back on a 5+ :devil:

Yknow... I laughed way to hard at this

I would have to say that solar auxilia seem to me as one of my favorite lists. Lots of options and units that fulfill very particular roles.

The veletaris are the most cost efficient way to add crazy killing power to your army that you can still throw away.

The axe sections and lack of assault transports put them in the counter assault category.

For 200ish points you can get 20, and just put them behind your fire base daring someone to deep strike/outflank it with anything.

If you want to be mobile you can still shove them in a dracosan and create a fire base midfield with them as a counter assault element.

The best part of them to me, is that they look amazing, and having 20 or so space firemen running up and murdering a terminator squad is just amazing.

Are Leman Russ Incinerators any good?

Not particularly. See the recent double choomtemptor thread for the exact same reasons why.

Although note that the Demi-Culverin on the Incinerator counts as twin-linked despite looking otherwise. That's a plus. But yeah, use them because explosive death rays are awesome and unique to the setting, not because they're any good :P

How about Ogryns? I've heard they can demolish most units up close, but it was kind of word of mouth, I didn't see it happen.

this is true, but how are you going to get them into combat?   They need a spartan (large capacity assault vehicle) which solar don't have

Ogryns are really out of place in the SA list. They just can't do much, especially when you look at the price tag.

Take Veletarii instead. A unit of 10 power axes, shroud bombs, nuncio and a fully kitted (AC & FS) Dracosian is 390pts compared to 6 Ogryns costing 515pts.

Throw on a demolisher cannon or medicae for extra impact, still for ~420pts which is still less than Ogryns for more utility.

Edited by The God-Potato of Mankind

Ogryns are really out of place in the SA list. They just can't do much, especially when you look at the price tag.

Take Veletarii instead. A unit of 10 power axes, shroud bombs, nuncio and a fully kitted (AC & FS) Dracosian is 390pts compared to 6 Ogryns costing 515pts.

Throw on a demolisher cannon or medicae for extra impact, still for ~420pts which is still less than Ogryns for more utility.

Yeah, you've nailed it. I looked at their entry in detail for the first time yesterday (been reading over HH book 4 a LOT), and all they can do is kill marines... No anti-armor options - hell, no upgrade options at all! 

There are a million and one ways to kill power armor with the SA list. The Veletarii with axes, as you mentioned, but also the plethora of AP3 templates or high wound-volume shooting.

On another topic, something I really find incredible is that the Lord Marshal can pick his warlord trait. Not just that, it can be from the 40k BRB or the Auxilia traits! That's so friggin' awesome!

Right now my plan is to ally with an Imperialis Cults & Militia army list, choose the warlord trait which allows me to infiltrate 3 non-vehicle units, and throw some Fearless + Rending cultists in the enemy's face while I unleash hell from my Medusae and Quad Mortars at anything that wants to get friendly.

I made my first purchase of a Baneblade box, so I'm gonna have a Stormlord in the mix as well. Also gonna magnetize so I can play with all variants. Man, I have been playing Chaos the entire time in some form or another (CSM, Daemons, KDK) so it's exciting to be delving into something new.

Yeah, you've nailed it. I looked at their entry in detail for the first time yesterday (been reading over HH book 4 a LOT), and all they can do is kill marines... No anti-armor options - hell, no upgrade options at all! 

There are a million and one ways to kill power armor with the SA list. The Veletarii with axes, as you mentioned, but also the plethora of AP3 templates or high wound-volume shooting.

On another topic, something I really find incredible is that the Lord Marshal can pick his warlord trait. Not just that, it can be from the 40k BRB or the Auxilia traits! That's so friggin' awesome!

Right now my plan is to ally with an Imperialis Cults & Militia army list, choose the warlord trait which allows me to infiltrate 3 non-vehicle units, and throw some Fearless + Rending cultists in the enemy's face while I unleash hell from my Medusae and Quad Mortars at anything that wants to get friendly.

I made my first purchase of a Baneblade box, so I'm gonna have a Stormlord in the mix as well. Also gonna magnetize so I can play with all variants. Man, I have been playing Chaos the entire time in some form or another (CSM, Daemons, KDK) so it's exciting to be delving into something new.

I have to say a Lord Marshal with all the Archeotech plus a Household Retinue in a Dracosian is an incredibly potent CC unit (especially for mortals!). On top of the awesomeness of choosing his trait. Only Fulgrim can do that! Primarch levels of awesome!

I don't have the numbers to hand but factor in:

10 power axes on the charge

Paragon blade & archeotech pistol on the charge

Grav-wave generator & shroud bombs to deny any charges so they are always the ones charging

Displace matrix so he goes into reserves instead of exploding

All at WS4+

You have a unit that can mince TEQs there, down to sheer number of attacks. You have them in a Dracosian so they actually survive to get there, unfortunately with the LM in the Dracosian you have 11 models so no demolisher cannon. That would be slightly absurd though :smile.:

I utilise the unit as an interdictory force. You don't want them finding trouble, but you can ram them into the flank of the inevitable Legion deathball and they will kick some butt. I love it!

I think a viable tactic would be to run them up in dracosan, hop out turn one, and activate the blind barrage with their dracosan as added LoS cover.

That way, turn two they can assault if anything' near. But again, it's a pain, and you'll likely not be very effective.

Yah tragic, it relegates our Axe wielding nutjobs to counter-melee. 

That said the surprise of squish mortals suddenly charging into melee AND winning should catch people off guard, I hope. Combined with supreme firepower output, I am hoping people make the false hope it's a gunline and getting to melee will wreck us. Lolnopeaxes! 

Plus throw in outflanking Vanquishers to catch the foe between a rock and a hard place. Hopefully. I am still building up my guys and painting them. You can find my list in the list section. 

Never forget the Malcador Chem-Infernus!

Helstorm Poisoned 2+ Ap2 Template of death on a Super-Heavy.

...In Heavy Support.

...Which you can take 3 of.

Legally.

Pretty, pretty Malcador Infernus :smile.:

http://i.imgur.com/7xyXOug.jpg

My SA is basically Choomlord, Malcador Infernus, Household Retinue Dracosian and a lightning to goomba stomp a Spartan.

Whenever the rules get updated again, I hope one of the things that get brought back is being able to assault if you disembark from a vehicle before it moves. When that rule was in place, assault transports were the better option for melee troops as they could get you further up the board, now they are pretty much the only option. Would a Blood Angels Rhino Rush really be that scary in this edition?