First time assembling a Land Raider: Hints? Tips?

Pretty much a Ronseal post here.

I'm going to be assembling my first ever Land Raider in the next week or so.  Despite being in the hobby for over 20 years, I've never actually gotten around to buying and assembling one before and I want to make sure that I don't mess it up.  It's also been at least 15 years since I assembled a tank kit in general, so I want to check to make sure that there's nothing I've missed out on in terms of "modern" techniques.

I'm sure that I'll have issues with the tracks; I remember having issues with the Chimeras and Leman Russes I assembled ages ago.  I can't remember whether the advice is to start at the front or start in the middle at the bottom, so if anyone could let me know then that'd be great.  any other hints and tips in general would be nice, too.

Thanks in advance for any advice given.

First step is decide if you'll be painting the interior. If yes, prepare and paint the two inside walls (including internal doors/tool racks), floor, and rear wall/powerplant.

Once interior is painted, go ahead and follow the instructions, and for the love of god, don't forget the opening/closing mechanism for the Assault Ramp, once the the track halves are glued together, you'll never get the mechanism in.

Having assembled 5-6 of the buggers, everything fits together quite nicely, the tracks have locating lugs, and are next to impossible to get wrong.

Cheers,

Jono

All the plastic tank kits go together easily these days (including the Baneblade) - mainly because the Track assemblies are no longer a horrible mess to put together.  The Land Raider is just another plastic kit that goes together as the instructions state.  The only decision you'll have to make, as Grotsmasha said, is whether you're going to paint the interior or not.  I painted one of mine, which leaves you with a nice satisfied feeling, but I've found that it's rarely noticed on the tabletop even if you have all the doors open.

I only have a Raider (Crusader/Redeemer kit) and, although it was a new model, assembling it was a pain in the rear and no mistake.

The top piece was horribly warped and would not fit in place. In the end I had to resort to cutting it, and then glue plus green stuff to somehow hide it.

My tip: DO dry fit it before applying glue.

All the plastic tank kits go together easily these days (including the Baneblade) - mainly because the Track assemblies are no longer a horrible mess to put together.  The Land Raider is just another plastic kit that goes together as the instructions state.  The only decision you'll have to make, as Grotsmasha said, is whether you're going to paint the interior or not.  I painted one of mine, which leaves you with a nice satisfied feeling, but I've found that it's rarely noticed on the tabletop even if you have all the doors open.

+1 for this. If you want coloured interior, paint it before you glue it together. It's impossible otherwise. 

I only have a Raider (Crusader/Redeemer kit) and, although it was a new model, assembling it was a pain in the rear and no mistake.

The top piece was horribly warped and would not fit in place. In the end I had to resort to cutting it, and then glue plus green stuff to somehow hide it.

My tip: DO dry fit it before applying glue.

That is probably a rare occurance, the kits normally fit without problems. You should have contacted GW for the faulty pieces, they often replace them very fast and for free.

That is probably a rare occurance, the kits normally fit without problems. You should have contacted GW for the faulty pieces, they often replace them very fast and for free.

To be fair, on bigger parts in GW plastic kits it's not really uncommon at all. You only have to look around the web to see gaps between parts on a great many Rhinos for example.

I've also had plenty of warped parts over the years and unless the warping is severe, I guess you have to expect to do a bit of test-fitting and repair.

Okay, maybe the gaps that I see and am bothered about fall well within other people's tolerance, but if I'm paying GW prices I do generally expect *perfect* casts/parts (some mouldlines and flash/gates/sprue-mounting points notwithstanding, of course!)... Hence my disappointment that they are often not.

Beyond that... I would add that if you do plan on painting the interior, you probably want to:

- Consider only painting part of the interior, or at least only detailing the areas near to the openings that will be seen.

- Keep the colours light, as there isn't much light inside the model; if you choose mid or darker colours, you won't see anything at all when you're done.

- Keep the paintjob simple. Even with a light-coloured interior, you won't see much without the aid of a torch/camera flash.

- Think about which parts will open, and assess whether then need any reinforcement. Also, whether the doors/parts will stay on/open/closed during play as required.

• 2 weeks later...

Don't even bother with the interior. What detail that is there is nice for sure, but the "ceiling" of the vehicle is completely bare, where there should be detailing such as seats for the driver and tank commander. The heavy bolters' ammo belts aren't even obscured. Maybe I'm just being overly autistic but the inside of the Land Raider bothers me. I've ended up just sealing mine shut after attempts to add the missing detail got too depressing.

Archived