Where many were, how few remain - A loyalist SoH project

Remove Sternguard hair and add CSM topknot to it!

Kill two birds with one bolt!

Man, that's such a brilliantly simple solution I just have to be a little jealous over the fact that I didn't think about it myself! :thumbsup:

I think I'll have to give it a try tomorrow.

As per Cthonia's suggestion I did this:

gmBGPUE.jpg

Not to shabby if I may say so myself, most of the grumpiness is retained, and a barbaric topknot added. Some liquid gs to cover up the join a bit + an undercoat and it should look quite good. 

Loving the gritty paint scheme! The backstory is excellent as well, and am excited to what you come up with next!

Thanks man, glad you like them both! :smile.: I will try to live up to the expectations with these next guys aswell. I haven't fully decided on what's coming after them yet, it will depend upon what I'll be inspired to do while painting the tacticals.

Edited by MrBear

Not been able to do a whole lot of work, but our converted Sergeant has (so far) been joined by two new friends...

NJbHcNA.jpg

The idea is to make this squad look a little bit more barbarian, more influenced by Cthonian culture than the previous two squads. Some of it through conversions like those above, some of it through how they are painted. They won't look as Cthonian as Reavers though, this is still a company where the barbarian influences aren't as thorough as in the main legion due to them being quite a distance away, the Terran traditions are still in the process of being eroded.

Now that looks Brilliant! 

Well it was a brilliant idea to begin with :yes:

That would make a good Abaddon head... Looks like a true Son of Horus

That would make a good Abaddon head... Looks like a true Son of Horus

My thoughts exactly, that's pretty awesome

I didn't think about that at first, but you two gentlemen are right. It does look like him. I haven't got any plans for including Abaddon in the army, but it would make doing a conversion of him a feasible project in such a case. :smile.:

Edited by MrBear

Still slowly putting pieces together at the moment, I have two more guys ready for a date with the spraycan though:

nJPSFwC.jpg

gRczzig.jpg

Another Sternguard-head that have spent some time with Ms. Knife. In this case to make his haircut look like a SoH mohawk. He's also been given a knife himself in order do unto others what have been done to him. :tongue.:

For the other guy I went through my bits box and found a skull on a spike. I know that the SoH collected the skulls of defeated enemies, but I haven't fully decided upon if they should display them in that way as it feels a bit

'chaos-y', so as for now it is tacced in place. Opinons on the skull anyone?

X1ZGzbu.jpg

The bunch so far. There might be a conversion or three yet to come, to form the core of a Cthonian gang. I'll have to think about what bits I have that I can use.

They look a little naked .  :tongue.:  How about some pouches and grenades .:whistling:

He he don't worry buddy they will have some extra gear in the end. I'll add it after they are painted though as it would be in the way for the weathering otherwise. :smile.:

Looking good MrBear.

Keep up the good work.

Dallo

Thanks mate. I'll do my best! :cool.:

Cheers!

Edited by MrBear

I had hoped to get more done than just one marine, but I had things to do in the real world that took longer than I had expected it to, and then daylight saving time 'stole' an hour as well... Anyway, here is today's offering to the god of minor conversions:

08zynlP.jpg

Will probably not be able to do anything tomorrow as it will be hectic as #&¤% at work, and I will most likely not have the energy for nothing but sleeping and eating (preferably in the other order though) when I get home

Looking great man! I feel that there's quite a bit of cthonian culture that can be expressed in every model, so I'm glad you're exploring it :smile.:

Can't wait to see how you paint them.

Thanks man! I will try to have a guy or two more with the same type of Cthonian influences, the rest of the squad (7 or 8 guys) will be more 'normal', and show any influences through markings and glyphs. Won't be able to start any painting (beyond a undercoat or so) before the next weekend though.

Mind sharing your technique for weathering the armor?

No problems man, it's quite simple (albeit a bit time consuming). First I paint the main colour of the armour, and do all the edge highlights. Then I just mix Eshin Grey with a small amount of Abaddon Black, I dip a small piece of sponge in the mix, I wipe off most of colour on a piece of paper (just as when drybrushing) and then I use the sponge on any piece of the armour that I want to look weathered. Any piece that I can't reach properly with the sponge get some markings with a small brush instead. After that I highlight the weathering with some Dawnstone, and add som small scratches with it as well. That's pretty much it. Hope it can be of help

Edited by MrBear

Dead tired after a long day at work but a couple of ideas entered my brain, and a couple of new Sons of Horus sort of happened. Despite the fact that I should try to get to bed early tonight...

vkD0ujH.jpg

NAPNq1r.jpg

'Family picture' -time I guess...

Add 7, or so, 'regular' guys straight from the box, and the squad should look like it's in the middle of Cthonian influences corrupting it (but not quite going all the way there yet).

'This message was brought to you by: "Mr-I'm-to-bloody-stupid-to-go-bed-in-time-when-I'm-tired-Bear'

Cheers!

Edited by MrBear

Thanks for the advice! The weathering really makes the edge highlighting look good- I'm usually not a fan of it, but your models look very realistic.

For the guy with the skull, it'd look much less chaotic if he a)had it dangling from a chain like in the Forge World sourcebooks, b)it was painted gold or bronze because the SoH were known to dip their trophies in those metals.

As I had both more time, and energy today I managed to put the rest of the guys together in one go:

ql4AhqI.jpg

"Just" some paint on them now, and they should look like a coherent squad with moderate Cthonian influences.

Thanks for the advice! The weathering really makes the edge highlighting look good- I'm usually not a fan of it, but your models look very realistic.

For the guy with the skull, it'd look much less chaotic if he a)had it dangling from a chain like in the Forge World sourcebooks, b)it was painted gold or bronze because the SoH were known to dip their trophies in those metals.

Glad to be of help! This is the first army I use weathering on so it's nice to hear that it works.

I agree about the skull. I have a couple of dangling skulls left from when I built my Night Lords, but I will most likely use them on sergeants and characters where I can place them in a more visible way. The plan (for now) is to keep that spiked skull seperate from the marine, paint it up in gold when I'm adding pouches and grenades to the squad, and then see if it fit in. If it doesn't I can probably use it on a future veichle or so anyway.

Edited by MrBear

With the squad being undercoated I think it's fair to say that painting has (sort of) begun, only Tzeentch himself knows how long it will all take this time though :whistling:

Loving them, oh, the barbarity :biggrin.:

Thanks man! Just wait until I get to Reavers, the we can truly talk about barbarity. :wink:

You know what would look really bloody brilliant? some pelts on those MKIV plates!

You're not wrong there mate, been thinking about addig a few pelts. Main problem has been that every bits site that I've visited seems to be out of suitable pelts... :mellow.:

BUT... I found these beauties at maxmini:

http://maxmini.eu/image/cache/data/products/bits/MXMCB033_furcloaks-882x630.jpg

http://maxmini.eu/image/cache/data/products/bits/MXMCB038_mediumfurpelts-882x630.jpg

I think that if I add a few of these to the squad (both to some of the obvious Cthonians, and a couple of the other guys) it should look pretty neat.  :cool.: Got to paint the squad itself before adding accessories though, but an order seems quite likely.

I'll have to confess that I've not even touched my brushes these last couple of days, as various things have come in the way of my plans for painting this weekend... One thing I have done though, is to start thinking about another 'narrative conversion'. It's always been my intention to make a tabeltop version of Jern Zonalf, our narrator, but I've haven't had any ideas for how to do so. Until I flickered through last month WD as some bedside reading last night. The AoS battle report had some nicely converted figures from the old Empire range, and a couple of them made me remember that I have the 'Celestial Hurricanum/Luminark of Hysh' that they were supposed to crew. So today this happened:

EXMGSss.jpg

Just a mock up so far, but for now it's Rememberancer Jern Zonalf rallying loyalists under the sign of the Aquilla at the battle of %(#%?)(?(+... FILE CORRUPTED... CONTINUE Y/N?

Cheers!

Edited by MrBear

• 2 months later...

Howdy fellas! Things have been awfully quiet here the last couple of months, but I aim to start adressing that issue now. There are multiple reasons for why I've been inactive but to name the most important ones:

* A major reorganisation at work for the coming semester, with yours truly chosen as one of those to plan the changes. Plenty of extra work as you might imagine...

* Hard work with some of my students that had major problems in school

* A love affair that crashed and burned, which left me quite drained 

But that's all in the past! In the now I've just started 8 glorious weeks of vacation, and I aim to get some painting done!

CIDw1L6.jpg

This is as far as i got before Mr. Murphy started to make my life 'interesting', and what I aim finish as soon as possible. Then I'll see what I want to paint next, I might have to order myself some treats from FW...

I like it. I find converting human sized models can often be much more challenging and rewarding than marines. Do you have plans for any other mortals in your force?

Dallo

Thanks buddy, Jern Zonalf is still far in the future atm, so he's subject to change in regards to parts and pose. There are plans for other mortals to join him though, quite vague plans for most of them, but there are a couple of ideas that has been spinning in my head since I started this project that will definitely be see the light of day. :smile.:

Edited by MrBear