DBH's Carmine Blades

Dont-Be-Haten

The libby dread killed the Warlord, but died to the warlord's save which on a 4+ takes mortal wounds. Between quickening and red rampage 16 damage went through. And he saved 7 DR rolls. But I was able to still kill him.

The Death Company dread was an absolute monster also. He killed Typhus by saving 3 6+++ FnP's after culminatively doing 9 wounds to Typhus. Blood Talons are very strong. Re-rollings hits and wounds is pretty stellar. Even if he's a bit pricey.

SG got left on an island unfortunately. I really need to finish my SG Ancient.

That damn bloat drone weathered fire from the Storm Raven and Paladin. For 2 rounds before I finally killed it.

Something that is super clutch is the Armorium stratagem that gives vehicles a 5+++ against mortal wounds. That saved my warlord for an entire turn but when I killed his warlord I had not saved a CP for that. I should have.

We forgot a few things. We called the game on turn 3 because he had to pick up his daughter from school and I had to go to a wedding. We ended the game at bot. 3. So i gave him linebreaker since Morty was in my deployment.

Not to sure what all I would change. Possibly adding some lasbacks and an annihilator or two is probably in the near future. As the arms race begins. Until then I may well bring a full knight detachment next game.

• 1 year later...

Decided to show my thread some much needed love. Been tinkering around with some DIY stuff. Here's a couple paint schemes I've come up with for an all primaris successor chapter. Will find some time later this holiday week to post some much needed updates on the Carmine Blades also.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/sm.php?b62c=@hCmX3_iakk7.hIAEG@@@@___iaj0o@_@@hW3Zf_@@@@@@@@hk8Yt@@_._hk8Yt.....@@@@@__@@@___@@@@@@@_iaj0o&grid=TRUE

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/sm.php?b62c=@hCmX3_iakk7.hIAEG@@@@@@@iaj0o@_@@hW3Zf_@@@@@@@@_@@_._hk8Yt.....@@@@@__@@@@@@@@@@@@@_iaj0o&grid=TRUE

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/sm.php?b62c=@hCmX3_iakk7.hk8Yt@@@@___iaj0o@_@@hW3Zf_@@@@@@@@hIAEG@@_._@.....@@@@@__@@@___@@@@@@@_iaj0o&grid=TRUE

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/sm.php?b62c=@hCmX3_iakk7.iaj0o@@@@@@@.@_@@hW3Zf_@@@@@@@@hIAEG@@_@_hk8Yt@@@@@@@@@@__@@@@@@@@@@@@@_.&grid=TRUE

• 2 weeks later...

I like the top one best. You can paint honorifics or other bling on the head which will stand out as white. A black shoulder pad means you can use any transfers you want except black ones (but the GW white and yellow show up well), same with the kneecap that could be squad symbol, and there's enough red to know where they came from. 

The only problem is making sure it's not a grey too close to sprue color. We have a buddy who paints his marines grey. We ask why he doesn't just pour Nuln oil over them. lol.

I like the top one best. You can paint honorifics or other bling on the head which will stand out as white. A black shoulder pad means you can use any transfers you want except black ones (but the GW white and yellow show up well), same with the kneecap that could be squad symbol, and there's enough red to know where they came from.

The only problem is making sure it's not a grey too close to sprue color. We have a buddy who paints his marines grey. We ask why he doesn't just pour Nuln oil over them. lol.

The paint scheme is inspired by Drew Pallies. It is definitely farther away from sprue grey for sure.

Was asked to play a couple teaching games this weekend.

I decided on this list @750 points. It has a little bit of everything, just enough to really let people play. I thought about taking Flesh Tearers over BA tactics. But I think I should allow some overwatch to happen.

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Blood Angels) [51 PL, 7CP, 749pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**CHAPTER**: Blood Angels

Armoury of Baal [-1CP]: Additional Relics of Baal

Battle-forged CP [3CP]

Detachment CP [5CP]

+ HQ +

Captain [5 PL, 86pts]: 2. Artisan of War, Icon of The Angel, Master-crafted boltgun, Relic blade, Warlord

Librarian [6 PL, 88pts]: 1. Quickening, 2. Unleash Rage, Bolt pistol, Force stave

+ Troops +

Scout Squad [4 PL, 83pts]

. Scout: Missile launcher

. Scout: Sniper rifle

. Scout Sergeant: Chainsword, Sniper rifle

Tactical Squad [5 PL, 82pts]

. 3x Space Marine

. Space Marine (Special weapon): Plasma gun

. Space Marine Sergeant: Chainsword, Combi-plasma

Tactical Squad [5 PL, 79pts]

. 3x Space Marine

. Space Marine (Special weapon): Meltagun

. Space Marine Sergeant: Hand flamer, Power sword

+ Elites +

Death Company [8 PL, 75pts]

. Death Company Marine

. . Bolt pistol and chainsword

. Death Company Marine

. Death Company Marine

. Death Company Marine

. Death Company Marine

Furioso Dreadnought [9 PL, 124pts]: Frag cannon, Furioso fist, Heavy flamer, Smoke launchers

+ Dedicated Transport +

Drop Pod [5 PL, 65pts]: Storm bolter

Rhino [4 PL, 67pts]: Storm bolter

++ Total: [51 PL, 7CP, 749pts] ++

Battlescribe makes you pay so you can take the relics.

Perhaps you tried to take the relic before nominating a warlord? BS would throw an error at that point.

It doesn't matter. Even if I take the armoury of baal drop down and 3 relics it still gives the error message.

The only way it allows you to take relics without the error message is tapping warlord option first or tapping the Armoury of Baal drop down.

I just do it so I don't see the exclamation point lol. Sorry for the confusion.

In other news the teaching games didn't happen, due to unforeseen circumstances on the other parties side.

I did finally pick up my copy of Blood of Baal though!

I played the Carmine Blades in a teaching game yesterday against Death Guard. It was 750 vs 750. I took the above list.
Against a
++Patrol detachment.++
+ HQ +
Lord of Contagion
Plague Reaper
Hulking Phyique
Suparating Plate

+ Troop +
Plague Marine x7
Power Fist
Plasma Gun

Poxwalkers x14

+  Fast +
Fotied-Bloat Drone
Plaguespitters

+ Heavy +
God Patterned - Land Raider

It was a pretty fun game. I set up the 5 man DC, Libby and Captain in the Drop Pod. I placed the 2 tactical squads up in the Rhino for cover + mobility. I set up the Furioso alongside the Rhino.

I got turn 1 and advanced both the dread and the rhino up turn 1. I rolled a 1 for the Dread, and CP'd it into a 6, so he got a 15" advance movement, and I rolled a 5 for the Rhino (I contemplated activating Lucifer Engines for 6+D6" But was worried I may need the command points later on.  Still the boon that is +1" to advance came in handy from the onset. I Positioned my scouts pre-game to snipe the warlord if he would were to drop down pre-game (But he set him up in the land raider for protection rather than deepstrike). I popped smoke on both the rhino and the dread (I was pretty sure I would lose one of them turn 1. I was still outside of range from the frag-cannon (That needs to be 12" really. or given the Death Watch profile!) 

My opponent screened his land raider with the zombies so I couldn't deep strike in and tie up his Land Raider from turn 1. So I held it in reserve.

To my amazement I plucked 2 wounds off the bloat drone with pop shots and killed 2 pox walkers from a clutch 6 to wound. 2 of the snipers couldn't see the drone so I shot at the poxwalkers.

Opponent's turn 1 he obliterated the scouts when he stuck a 6" advance on his drone, and killed 4 of the 5 scout rolling 8 hits and 6 wounds I only passed two 4+ saves. His land raider went after the dreadnought, striping 6 wounds off of it from 4 Lascannon shots. It really should've killed the thing, but I stuck a 6+ save! His Heavy Bolter should've gone into my 1 remaining scout I think but he wanted the Dread dead and it failed to wound at all. (Lone scout passed morale)

In turn 2 I switched to Tactical Doctrine, I disembarked my two tactical squads up to face the drone. I didn't like the way his squad was set up and I really wanted to counter charge for his Plague marines getting out so I held the  Drop pod back an additional turn. I moved both the Rhino and Dread to the poxwalkers' flank looking for that double charge. I made a tactical decision here to fire the heavy flamer and frag cannon into the land raider instead of the poxwalkers. I needed to move closer to the unit so I withheld shooting at them in the shooting phase. Out of 13 hits I did 1 wound the rest were all saved. The krak-missile missed the drone entirely, I doubled tapped twin-plasma into it overcharging, He failed all 3 saves but saved 5 damage from the over charge! CRAZY! The melta-missed (like always!) and the hand flamer didn't do anything. I threw 2 Krak-grenades that did nothing, and the bolters didn't do much, they either plinked off or he saved with his DR roll. 

The Furioso and rhino had moved up the flank and were primed for assaults, I had to make a decision here that took a couple minutes, The drone wasn't bracketed yet and I knew he would kill my tactical squads anyway so I charged with the melta gun tactical squad first and of course he hit a hard double 4s on his over watch. out of 8 auto hits he wounded 6 times again. after the rolls (I don't know why I couldn't make a 4+ last night!) only the sergeant with power sword remained. Then I double charged the poxwalkers and the bload drone and tagged them both, The Rhino failed its charge but the Dread got into combat. I chose to fight with my power sword sergeant first. (I really wanted to strip a couple wounds off the drone and I knew he had 2 CP in his back pocket for an interrupt. My thought process was the chainsword wouldn't really do anything but the powersword might, and the sergeant being the soul survivor of his squad I thought what the heck.

The Sergeant paid off, he stripped 2 wounds off the drone (bracketing it) then he interrupted with the poxwalkers. Luckily I had charged from two different sides that forced his zombies to split. He still had 20 something attacks but only wounded the tactical squad twice and did no wounds to the dread. On return attacks the sergeant and plasma gun did nothing to the drone but the tactical sqaud killed 3 more pox walkers. The Dread on the other side killed 5 with all his attacks. I did spend a CP here for wisdom of the ancients (which is important because I rolled three 1s right after activating it!) He left the zombies tied up with the dread freeing up the tactical squad.

His turn 2 he disembarked his plague marines and Warlord, He fell out of combat with his bloat drone, He tried to get his poxwalkers out but they did not have enough room to be outside of 1" from the dread and thus were stuck. (This was a learning game and I offered to allow my opponent to disengage them so his units could shoot and potentially kill the dread. He declined. Instead he obliterated my tactical squads. I somehow had my Plasma sergeant left after all the shots he put into them. He focus fired the rhino but cold dice syndrome struck and he did 3 total damage. He even CP'd one of the d1s into a 1. We had a laugh about it, and I told him earnestly, "Welcome to 40k"

He charged my dread with his Lord and failed the charge He had no CP left, but got in with his Plague marine squad. He took 1 wound off the Dread leaving him with 1 wound to fight back. It was then my turn to roll like trash. I rolled 3 1s and a 4 to hit back and rolled a 1 to wound so we joked and he echoed, "OH! Welcome to 40k!"

Turn 3 came and I switched to assault doctrine, I dropped the pod down in front of the lord of contagion and plague marines, In my psychic phase I casted Unleash Rage on the DC and Quickening on the libby. Both went off without a hitch. I then took a pop shot at the drone with double overcharged plasma plinking off 2 wounds and failing to wound with the krak-missile. I then charged and it was glorious. I used icon of the angel to re-roll from a 7 to a 9 (I rolled a 4 and a 3) and then the librarian had an insane 16" charge! +1 Red Thirst +3 from quickening and box cars! The captain missed, even with re-rolling both dice! 5 marines with 35 attacks followed by a librarian with 10 attacks! I rolled a 6 for my D3 attacks on quickening followed by a 5 on red Rampage. I promptly wiped two squads and tagged the land raider, We called it just after that. Fun game for a 750 pitch battle!

Another 750 point learning game today. Was super fun. Highlights clutch box cars on a DC fnp of 2 damage. Lucien (librarian) swinging with 10 attacks on the charge with RR and quickening! It's been a lot of fun teaching new players and letting them get some good experience in.

• 1 month later...

Been busy painting backlog. No pictures right now but will tey to post some soon. Been really crazy lately in the states.

Some gears are turning to open up a Warhammer tube channel focused on Narrative Play. Been talking to a few individuals about it.

Looking at starting up in the summer if everything goes well.

I'm pretty excited about it. I think our content will be different enough from everyone else to have that good mixture of American flavor that most of the boys across the pond do so well.

Still early stages of development obviously. I'm also working towards my Full 2nd company of Carmine Blades, to be previewed in several narrative games/campaigns future videos.

Since school has basically been shut down due to current events and social distancing there's not much time for hobby time outside of these forums and some building painting etc.

I hope you all find yourselves safe and well.

More to come soon!

-DBH

Forging the Narrative.

I have a few Battle Company ideas I'm putting into play for my upcoming campaign games.

Assuredly the army will have some blood Angel's feels to it.

Basing off the 2nd company in Angel's Blade,

The biggest thing about Alphael's 2nd company is he has a Librarian Dreadnought and Furioso and a regular Dreadnought.

To some this may not "Feel" like a blood Angels' list. The biggest concern is keeping it around 2K points.

By comparison the Blood Company from the 7th edition codex has a squad of Death Company and a chaplain while also having the standard Dreadnought and Furioso.

This list has a more Blood Angels "feel" to it for some, but I don't think you have to have death company in every game.

I've been building and rebuilding these lists a lot. And there just isn't a way to make them work in a normal 2,000 point format.

Forging the Narrative.

I have a few Battle Company ideas I'm putting into play for my upcoming campaign games.

The biggest thing about Alphael's 2nd company is he has a Librarian Dreadnought and Furioso and a regular Dreadnought.

To some this may not "Feel" like a blood Angels' list. The biggest concern is keeping it around 2K points.

By comparison the Blood Company from the 7th edition codex has a squad of Death Company and a chaplain while also having the standard Dreadnought and Furioso.

This list has a more Blood Angels "feel" to it for some, but I don't think you have to have death company in every game.

I've been building and rebuilding these lists a lot. And there just isn't a way to make them work in a normal 2,000 point format.

I don't think you should worry about a 'blood angels feel'. Often those players forget that BA are still a codex chapter and operate as such, just with a preference for close combat. Running intercessors or tacs up the field and eventually getting them into assault is also favoured.

My own lists generally featured 2 tac squads, an assault and dev squad, basically a demi company until 8th seemingly made tacs rredundant. 

Forging the Narrative.

I don't think you should worry about a 'blood angels feel'. Often those players forget that BA are still a codex chapter and operate as such, just with a preference for close combat. Running intercessors or tacs up the field and eventually getting them into assault is also favoured.

My own lists generally featured 2 tac squads, an assault and dev squad, basically a demi company until 8th seemingly made tacs rredundant.

Well this list is specifically meant for first borns because I want to participate in several stories that are pre indominus crusade. And so I won't be using any primaris for these particular lists. There's always the what ifs etc. But for what I'm wanting to accomplish early on it's a bit more difficult. As far as points go it's either short by 18 - 40 or it's over by about the same amount.

I think going forward I want my all primaris to be actual Blood Angels rather than Carmine Blades. But I'm unsure if that's the route I want to take. I've looked at some other chapter options as well for stuff down the road.

I think going forward I want my all primaris to be actual Blood Angels rather than Carmine Blades. But I'm unsure if that's the route I want to take. I've looked at some other chapter options as well for stuff down the road.

I've gone the other direction after a lot of deliberation and having my Primaris as a mix of successors I think. Any exisiting first-born models I have will be BA still, primaris as successors, then all my HH stuff will be BA also. 

That's cool too!

I've got it narrowed down to three variants of the narrative list. I actually have my current primaris line painted up as Imperial Fists. Though I've thought about just making them a DIY army which I could make into any chapter if I choose too. That way I have a lot more options to pick from.

• 1 year later...

It's been a while since I've posted here. At the beginning of this year I started feeling the urge to paint again. I've finally started to get some real "me" time to work on back log. I haven't bought any new minis in a while, however; I have reserved myself to start back painting. And while I love my first born marines, and will always play them in campaigns, it is time for me to move forward with a Primaris focused army.

That being said, I've never before used an airbrush, and what better way to learn than doing an all primaris army of Carmine Blades in the style of @LutherMax from the Mighty Brush. There's going to be a lot of muck ups, and a whole lot of learning. For my first attempts at using an airbrush alongside my brush skills I really feel good about what I've done so far. Now, this is just for me, I know some time down the road I'll look at these models and the pre-shading blunders and all that. But for now here's the sticky!~

Calen the Blood Hammer from the Feast of Blades was my third company captain for my Carmine Blades. He is one of my favorite models I've ever painted, and some day I'm going to have him pass the rubicon. For now though I will preface this by saying the majority of my new BA force will be based on my own Canon Third Company Carmine Blades. Here is what is currently on my Paint block

A MC power sword Lieutenant with Bolt Pistol
A Hellblaster squad
A Squad of Intercessors with Autobolt rifles with a chain sword.

Pictures of WIP

gallery_92746_14190_791934.jpg

gallery_92746_14190_637886.jpg

gallery_92746_14190_71069.jpg
Edited by Dont-Be-Haten

Good to see you back and with new energy to paint and grow your skills!
Keeping my fingers crossed fro your endeavours :thumbsup: 

I like the battered helmet on the Lieutenant. Battle-damage is also something new for you, right? All the more excitement :)

Good to see you back and with new energy to paint and grow your skills!

Keeping my fingers crossed fro your endeavours :thumbsup:

I like the battered helmet on the Lieutenant. Battle-damage is also something new for you, right? All the more excitement :)

For BA yes. Before COVID I was working towards a competition based Imperial Fist army. I have a battalion painted. However that notion died when everything went to crap.

I will say using the airbrush has been a learning experience. I've logged several hours of YouTube videos trying to figure it out.

The most taxing thing for me is seeing that I need more airbrushes so I don't have to switch and clean between paints which takes the most time.