BL coming soon

hopkins

Maybe the novel will explain why they are leaving. Maybe with the golden throne failing they are searching for a solution around the galaxy. Or maybe they had orders from the Emperor from 10k ago. We don't know. I'm curious to read the novel tbh.

The AdMech are doing that, with the Dark Eldar. :D

The origins of the Scythes heraldry was detailed in Pharos, and it seems likely that the helmet is in tribute to Warsmith Dantioch.

Exactly. A honor to mark the passing of the Imperium Hero.

What are the Horusian wars?

New series about the Inquisition branch. It's prequel is a short 'The purity of ignorance'

ooooo Darius Hinks is back.

At last - he haven't done a BL book in 2 years!

I hope that Custodes book is set early in the timeline, around the Scouring / TBA frame. I have no desire whatsoever for GW/BL to come up with too-convenient plot contrivances to get the Custodes into the galaxy to justify them getting a Codex or Supplement. They're in the Imperial Palace, guarding the Emperor, and that's that. Anything else would diminish them for me. Their task is more important than doing the same damn stuff we have a thousand Chapters of Astartes for.

Nope. It's 41st Millennium

Any chance of new Sisters of Battle stories in that omnibus you reckon?  Or just those 3 existing stories that James Swallow wrote collected together?

It's all old stuff

Might be... Severian on the right?

Looks like Varren (supposing he's still alive, which I haven't checked).

Yes tis Varren with a beard.  It's not Severian

2 new 40k novels from chris wraight? praise the lord!

also +1 for darius hunks, his warhammer novels plus that one story for age of sigmar are excellent

Chris Wraight stuff is always welcome!

They are. But that won't be expanded upon because that's not how things work. Although there's no reason why some Custodians wouldn't have gone along as well.

Well those models are already sold, so yeah time for a book about the new hotness.

The messy out of order world that is the HH series. Imagine if you are a new reader  - how on earth are you meant to read the series??? It's the same with Scars, coming long before in book order its predecessor story. I sometimes wonder about recommending the novels to people ... but I have no idea how to really explain read 'these ones, then these ones, then these ones' etc. 

Well what I would love is a HH version of the following:

The%2BAlmighty%2BStar%2BTrek%2BLit-verse

[link to full size image]

It would be wonderful! This even covers roughly the same amount of material as the Horus Heresy series.

Well, with Shadows of Treachery out recently, the only HH mainline book that doesn't have an audiobook yet is Legacies of Betrayal, which was almost entirely audio dramas to begin with. Since they did Shadows now, which had previously only seen individual releases for its two novellas, nothing for the Kaban Engine or Death of a Silversmith, and otherwise relied on audio dramas, I'd say Legacies won't be far off.

Beyond that, only Wolf King, Cybernetica and Garro: Vow of Faith as well as Meduson are without audiobooks so far. Garro will correct one of them, Wolf King was somehow skipped over last saturday, and Cybernetica is coming in January.

When I recommend somebody to start reading HH, its usually down to publication order until things get more complex. Garro's Legion of One/Vengeful Spirit problem (with Luna Mendax and Grey Angel from The Silent War thrown in) is one of those outliers.

Not everything needs to be read in chronological order, I think. We don't need to read The First Heretic before Horus Rising. The former will give a deeper insight into the latter no matter when you read it. With the anthologies I'd just recommend getting them relatively early and making a picture of where the stories are set, approximately, ahead of time.

Either way, the bunch of new coming soon titles and "leaks" are now on Goodreads. Plenty of good stuff I'm looking forward to reading overall.

What about this? http://www.blacklibrary.com/horus-heresy-reading-order.html

Not good enough? It's worked for me so far (I'm only like 6 books in though).

The list gets flimsier the deeper you go. I've never thought it hard to follow, and the Garro stories being properly interspersed is a big help.

They don't split the anthologies though, so they'll be all over the place. I'd recommend using Tymell's reading order if you want to be a completionist.

The list gets flimsier the deeper you go. I've never thought it hard to follow, and the Garro stories being properly interspersed is a big help.

They don't split the anthologies though, so they'll be all over the place. I'd recommend using Tymell's reading order if you want to be a completionist.

That's nice, but it's linear. And presumably only works if you have everything as an ebook/mobi/epub for accessibility. 

I think if I/someone was to do a version of the Trek chart, it would be ... 20+ columns, chronological: 18 for the legions, 1 for Terran machinations (like 'Blood Games'), 1 for army, 1 for remembrancers, etc., with the text in each individual 'narrative' marked out. So you know what to read just for the XV, but see that they intersperse with V, VI, VII, Outcast Dead (Terra column), etc, columns. Thrawn and 8of5's graph is pretty amazing how they fit (with each new version) a lot of information on it. All those lines are complicated, but actually very good at telling you where to go to read. Of course it only really works to follow threads if you have access to all the books which is possible on the internet, but expensive or illegal! Or pay pennies for paperbacks, but a lot on postage. 

Anyway as for the graph ... something for after the PhD. Along with finally making any models (perhaps inspired by Veteran Sergeant's True Scale tutorial, but i am a novice!). I have til then to decide V (Malcador-supported mixed arms), VI (some of those poor souls depicted in Ahriman) or XV (a line company like Khayon's, or Amon's Hidden Ones or Ignus's Masters of Ruin) ... or Blackshields (which I'm also tempted by, but then i worry I'm losing out on the story with random nasty marines). 

Anyway the graph ...

Cheers :)

But yeah, it's complicated :p I readily admit my list on RYM is just a straightforward chronological (or as close as I can get to it). Now that I've finished my own re-read of everything, including taking notes on characters and timeline points, I'm hoping to put together something a bit more substantial, including as PC says, separate timelines for the legions and their tales.

Cheers smile.png

But yeah, it's complicated tongue.png I readily admit my list on RYM is just a straightforward chronological (or as close as I can get to it). Now that I've finished my own re-read of everything, including taking notes on characters and timeline points, I'm hoping to put together something a bit more substantial, including as PC says, separate timelines for the legions and their tales.

Tymell that sounds excellent! And I love that you have taken notes on dates! My big bugbear with so much 40K lit is the lack of dates. Or worse, when dates are given, the lack of due attention paid by sources like 40Kwikia to dates. Seriously that wiki has no dates (ok very few).

I'm a type of historian, and chronology is utterly important for any attempt at systematising history - even fictional history:

The specific role of chronology and a date and time perspective is to put history within a structure of events and when they happened. Sometimes this is not possible because the timing of events is only known approximately, but to the best of our ability, knowing when events occurred helps us to put our analysis into a larger context.

I think that's what a HH reading list needs to accomplish. It's not only a series of novels, it's presenting readers with the potential to examine the sources of a history, with the groundwork in terms of chronology performed to an extent.

I think Horus rising should be the kick off, for any reader though. Read those first 3 or 4 or 5 books, because they are so introductory. Yet, there are many 'ins' also - and Horus, unfortunately, really disappears in his own series after the 3 books about him. Hence the need for a big Trek-style reading guide ...

If you want to chat about it/share ideas, I'm game! But especially from January!

The 2017 calendars are up!

http://www.blacklibrary.com/merchandise/Calendars/2017-calendar-art-of-bl.html

http://www.blacklibrary.com/merchandise/Calendars/2017-calendar-hh.html

New HH book/audio/who knows:

The Binary Succession by David Annandale:

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Images/Product/AlternativeBL/xlarge/BLPROCESSED-05-11-calendar_HH_Product_Art_3.jpg

Crimson King's artwork is listed for november, which doesn't mean much with how random the order is. The list does indicate a CD release of Children of Sicarus and Heart of the Pharos, though.

We're finally seeing Magnus the Red's main artwork in better quality/full, though, and Lorgar is getting a Primarchs novel soon (artwork for July).

new works:
Eye of Medusa

Lucius: The Faultless Blade (reminds me of Lucius: The Eternal Blade)

Also confirms some artworks as final, like Mephiston.

Cheers smile.png

But yeah, it's complicated tongue.png I readily admit my list on RYM is just a straightforward chronological (or as close as I can get to it). Now that I've finished my own re-read of everything, including taking notes on characters and timeline points, I'm hoping to put together something a bit more substantial, including as PC says, separate timelines for the legions and their tales.

Was literally just going to message you about this as I stumbled across the RYM just now through Google as I wanted to read the Ultramarine/Calth/Imperium Secundus arc now.

Sweet find Dark Chaplain! I am getting this for MoM and PoD poster! I framed the Pharos and red marked one as I love the art work from the 2016. The binary one with the emperor class titan. Cheaper than getting one those 50 dollar posters.

Archived