TALE - Just Because

simison

I know Atheas(yet another creation of my overactive imagination) isn't a canonverse or BotL primarch but he seemed like a good match for Alex(or Gwal) so I couldn't resist.

Alexandros shut his eyes. He just drank in the sounds of the Imperial Palace gardens, a welcome relief from the hectic pressure of war. Even superhuman minds had their limits. When he opened his eyes, in front of him sat the unmistakeable form of a primarch, abrother, he had never even seen him before. He sat cross legged in dirty yellow armour trimmed with silver and studded with jewels. His face was covered by a faceless silver mask, with its features plained smooth where his nose and mouth should have been. From the mask protruded two gold antlers rising up from its forehead. The only aspect of his face that was visible were his eyes, currently closed in thought. Over one shoulder he had a cloak made of what looked like...human scalps sewn together. Alexandros' lip curled in disgust. He had seen many foul acts done by brother's hands but this beat them all in its vileness.

"Who are you?" demanded Alexandros.

At this the figures eyes opened in surprise. "I am Atheas, primarch of the IIand legion. A better question would be who are you?". Alexandros' eyes narrowed at this Atheas' voice. It seemed to move on the wind, as though running away from Alexandros. But there was something else. It was layered. Each word he said seemed to be said by both one voice and a thousand voices at the same time.

" I am Alexandros Darshan von Salim, Warmaster and primarch of the Vth legion" Alexandros replied "You cannot be primarch of the IIth. No such legion exists". As he said this, Alexandros probed at the new arrivals pyschic aura. As he did so, he felt an invisible hand pushing against his own pyschic abilities. " You are a being of the Warp?" he asked.

The sitting figure shook his head "I am attuned to the Warp, not created by it. Unless my dreams were correct. That would explain much if they were" he whispered. Cocking his head he said "You hear that?". Reluctantly, Alexandros listened. He heard bolter fire, screams, the crackle of fire and endless crump of siege guns. " It's the sound of a world dying. The Wolves have been unleashed upon my sons and my home. I know not why. I confided my dreams in my father and next" he raised his hands to indicate the area around him "This".

Wolves thought Alexandros. " Wolves? Space Wolves?".

Atheas nodded again and Alexandria saw tears leak from his pale blue eyes. "The VIth. The Vlka Fenryka. Whatever you wish to call them. They have come and now my home burns". Before Alexandros could respond, Atheas said "The ancient thinkers believed that the universe had many spheres, each of which took a different path. Do you think it's possible this is one such case?".

Alexandros shook his head. " Such a thing isn't scientifically possible". Even as he said it he knew that Atheas was right.

Atheas replied "I have seen many things which should not be possible. Kin should not battle each other with bolter and blade" then cocking his head he continued "But they do. Could you drop your barriers momentarily? I wish to know more about you". Alexandros hesitated. Seeing this Atheas said " I shall drop my mental barriers too if it would put you at ease".

Alexandros hesitated further saying "May I see your face first? I would know the face of the being to whom I'm about to open my mind".

Atheas chuckled slightly and said "This mask is as good as any I have worn over the years. And I'm afraid it would be a pointless exercise. I, like father, have no true face. I wear whichever suits best at the time".

Nodding slowly, Alexandros opened his mind to Atheas and felt his touched by a foreign presence even as he took hold of Atheas'. While it could not have lasted more than a few seconds Alexandria felt as though millennia had passed in the timae when they delved into each other's minds. When they were finished, Atheas' eyes were wide with shock.

" Such butchery...brother against brother..." he said, gasping as though he had been hit in the solar plexus. "How can such a thing have come to pass?". The question was rhetorical, asked out of shock. Atheas knew as well as Alexandros how.

From his belt, Atheas withdrew a handful of bones, each inscribed with a crude letter. " You trust such primitive methods?" Alexandros asked.

Atheas shook his head.

"On their own no. Then it is superstition and nothing more. In addition to my own abilities?" he shrugged "They serve". Rattling them in his hands he threw them to a floor Alexandros couldn't see. As Atheas gazed at them, head resting on his hand, Alexandros waited patiently. Then Atheas looked up and spoke.

" I see hope and sacrifice in your future Warmaster. The two are intertwined. One cannot exist without the other. Both shall be the end result of the war you currently wage". Then, Atheas stood up and took in his hand a spear that seemed to resembled a traveller's staff if you ignored the serrated spear head on it's end and began to walk away.

"Wait!" said Alexandros.

"I can tell you no more Warmaster" said Atheas "My time has come and I must face Russ at my son's sides. Your time is not yet here. When it comes, remember. Sacrifice and hope".

Alexandria blinked and said " But how will I know when my time is come ?" only to see Atheas was gone.

Edited by Sigismund229

Are we trying to get them matched to their "proper" counterparts, or just the matchups that'd make sense? Because I just remembered the whole canonverse Rak vs Sangy thing.

I may have to cut back a little on the visions for the final draft. I went a little bonkers and started pulling in stuff from the II/XI origins of several Legions (Squig's Legions, the Lightning Bearers and Crimson Lions), plus the Dornian Heresy and that one where Ferrus gets possessed by the Void Dragon.

A preview...

Guilliman stepped onto the lit ring, for there seemed nothing else to do. Almost mirroring him, movement for movement, was another entering the ring. The Lord of Macragge studied his fellow giant as his second foot crossed the threshold of light. When both feet landed within the circle, a flood of memories rushed him. Memories that were not his own...

So, what does Hectarion look like?

I just have to.. This all inspired me to do it...

I have no regrets...

*Alexos looked up, his mind had been traveling and reaching far into the warp. Had he been asleep for hours? Days? Months? It didn't matter to him, he had heard whispers of the non existant brothers he so craved. He had seen another universe, he had recognized the Emperor, but the brothers he had seen were as blant to him as an unwritten piece of paper.

Yet there was one brother he had seen, a brother he remembered. The gold skinned giant had invited Alexos from another universe to communicate. Alexos had at first refused, but in the end he had finally agreed.

They had met in a room made by unease and impossible walls. The giant in front of Alexos was the same size as the primarch himself. They both sat in a meditating pose and both of them were as naked as an unborn child.

The stranger had smiled at Alexos's tattoo covered body, the psychic reflection perfect in every way. Alexos had read the seemingly endless script that adorned the skin of his unknown brother. At last Alexos spoke, their eyes meeting from two different dimensions, a rare happening that should never have happened.

"You are the image of my nightmares" Alexos whispered. Lorgar looked ice cold into the eyes of Alexos, and spoke with a tone that made Alexos' spine tremble. "You are the nightmare we both have become."

Alexos woke up, he was surrounded by legion serfs and a worried Takar staring down at him. Alexos had made contact with another dimension, and would do so repeatedly for very short periods of time. Every time the period would be shorter as the link faltered, and each time it would put more doubt in Alexos' mind.

He had seen the traitors in another universe, and he had foreseen his future.*

Woah

....that would ne something. Battle of two realities.

But no. We have a full fledged alternate universe going with different primarchs. This was just an idea from our project leader. A "what if?"-scenario.

Wanna join the fun? Writers are always welcome

If the fluff is your own, the fluff gid loves it. If it is stolen, the lawyers will love it^^

Wierdly that's exactly how Hec looks. However did you find a piece of art like that ;)

It hangs in my locker to remind me what I wanna become^^

Edited by MikhalLeNoir

Including this one? I'm really pleased, cos it actually gave me something to play with in a BotL story. Basically Tzeentch tries to tempt Alex, with multiple cameos from Lost Legion fates for the Crimson Lions, Dune Serpents and Wardens of Light.