Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

TALE - Just Because

• Please log in to reply
176 replies to this topic

simison

simison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,298 posts
  • Faction: Halcyon Wardens, Blood Angels

The Warmaster glanced at Little Alex before deferring to him. "We are. We specialized in divination and telepathy, the better to protect our charges and guide the future to a happier conclusion."

"Interesting," Ardann said as he studied the pair. "I don't feel as though my potential was as limited to just two of the arts."

"It's self-imposed," the Warmaster admitted. 

"Ah," Ardann said as he motioned toward his robe. Three runes hovered out and spun in the palm of his hand. The runes glowed with energy that reflected in his green eyes. "The blessings bestowed upon me, combined with Aeldari traditional techniques, have granted me quite the breadth of powers. Not all of which are easily classified in the arts of which you are familiar with, though divination does feature heavily among them. Like you two, I often use it in my stance as a guide for others."

"A mutant twofold," Indra growled. He shot a look at Quintus with a bit of hope. "Surely, you're not one of them as well?"

"I am," Quintus stated. After a moment, the pilum glowed with energy beyond the mundane. "I, Decimus, Quintus Decimus, and Vicesima are the designated psykers, each of us specializing in at least three disciplines. Quintus Decimus is the exception, being the greatest psyker among the Imperators. I was chosen to be proficient in biomancy, telekinesis, and geokinesis."

"All of which involve manipulating physical matter," Alexandra noted. She addressed Darshan. "While I won't claim he is deceiving us, but doesn't he feel weaker than us?"

"He does," Darshan agreed, a thoughtful look on his face. "Perhaps this is a consequence of his upbringing?"

Quintus frowned as his eyes bounced between the two of them. "I am more than able to fulfill my responsibilities."

Alexandra offered a sweet smile. "No one is suggesting otherwise, Quint, but I would have expected a Primarch of your caliber to be able to block my technique."

"It was most unorthodox," Quintus grumbled. For the first time in his life, the Warmaster saw a faint blush on a Primarch. 

Alexandra laughed, a thing of silver and silk. "Oh, how adorable. Anyway, I believe I've already demonstrated my abilities. What of yourself, Darshan?"

Project Leader of the Brotherhood of the Lost

The Second Son: Narrative of the BOTL Vth Legion Primarch

Brotherhood of the Lost has arrived on Patreon

gallery_92945_11930_24196.png

simison

simison

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,298 posts
  • Faction: Halcyon Wardens, Blood Angels

"My prowess extends from one range to another, and others have already commented on my strength," Darshan said as he held his stave lightly. "To further specify beyond that description requires time and energy I do not want to waste on such a venture." He paused. "I am uncomfortable with it. True mastery is measured in the wisdom of knowing when not to use power."

"Pride masked as humility is a special kind of hypocrisy," Ares jeered as he leaned forward. "For all of your high-minded words, I have no doubt you've wielded those same powers in war, undoubtedly against other humans."

"A necessity, one I do not relish in," Darshan protested, his soft voice taking a hard edge to it.

Ares waves a hand and axe. "Spare me the tripe. I never had such powers, and I welcome that fact. I will not deny they grant certain advantages, but more often than not, they are distractions. Always struggling to keep one's mind rooted in the battlefield around oneself instead of being seduced by imagined riches in the Immaterium. I could not count the number of librarians who destroyed themselves when they were relied upon to provide critical support. The most hilarious ones were those who fell prey to their weakness and 'forgot' the spells they were casting." Ares fixed a ferocious grin upon Indra. "Isn't that right?"

Indra gritted his teeth before he reluctantly cast his gaze towards Donar. Donar laughed at the motion before slamming the pommel of his warhammer upon the ground, sending another bolt of lightning coursing through it. "Did you honestly believe that was my weapon doing so?"

Indra's glower was answer enough.

Donar laughed again. "One of my titles is the Lord of Lightning! I need no weapon to channel my gift. Nor do I need another such power. Lightning in of itself is an element that demands one's complete attention and is awe full to overcome any foe. I am quite content with it."

"And more than happy to demonstrate it," Father Alex added. 

Donar's answer was slow in coming. "Aye, indeed I am. I suppose I should ask of you. You seem to mirror those two over there," Donar finished as he gestured to the Warmaster and Little Alex.

"There are quite a few of them!" Father Alex quipped as he gestured to the glassy surfaces before chuckling to himself. "You have the right of it, though it is of my past. I still maintain a measure of my mind-speech, but my future-sight I have allowed to waste away in lieu of mastering all aspects of the body." He concluded with another hearty slap on his engorged stomach. 

Little Alex grimaced at the sight, especially when more stomach acid leaked onto the floor. "Is there a particular reason for such a change?"

Father Alex threw his arms open wide. "I have all of eternity to look forward to with my sons, brothers, and cousins! What need do I have of looking to the future when I can enjoy my present? Although," Father Alex said as he cast a sidelong gaze to He Who Balances, "I doubt you agree with me."

He Who Balances was still on his knees and a faint growl spilled from his lips. "I command the four Choirs. No power or skill is beyond my reach." Finally, he managed to lift his head against the pressure to meet Salim's eyes. "And I'm only getting stronger."

"Oh yes, we can certainly tell," Nemesis said, eyes dancing with mirth above his reptilian smile. "At your rate, you might be able to jump in another century." A wordless snarl answered. "Tsk, tsk. Temper, temper, lest you fall off your precarious position into Khorne's embrace." Nemesis leaned back, though his eyes never left the pleasing sight before him. "I too am a psyker, but perhaps more limited than the rest of you. Or, I was. My arts were particularly noteworthy for their temperament, waxing and waning apparently at random. I could not rely on them for war during my direct service to the Imperium." Nemesis flexed his wings. "It was not until Malal augmented me was I able to reliably use them."

Indra's face fell further and further with each answer. "Is it only myself and that traitor?" he cried as he regarded Ares.

Ares grinned and pointed at Row-vell. "You forgot that one."

Row-vell, although no longer swaying beneath the various powers around him, winced when Indra's enraged glare aimed itself at him. "I am just a man."

Indra roared. "Surrounded!"

Ignoring his Sindhuan counterpart, Darshan addressed Salim, "I allowed myself to be distracted, but I have not forgotten. You wield a new branch of power I've never seen before. What you did for Row-vell, you did not merely protect his mind. You strengthened his very soul. What art is this?"

Salim allowed the question to hover in the air. "In good time, you may learn it as well. It is a demanding discipline, requiring absolute dedication to master. In this place of beyond realms, I do not think it prudent to teach you." Salim shifted to look at Darshan directly. "So, I must advise patience."

Project Leader of the Brotherhood of the Lost

The Second Son: Narrative of the BOTL Vth Legion Primarch

Brotherhood of the Lost has arrived on Patreon

gallery_92945_11930_24196.png

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)