Unfortunately I can't take Icons because Night Lords despise Chaos :D. I was thinking of using them as Chosen but giving them there individual war gear as they are. So, an Eviserator, Heavy Bolter, Chain Axe, Power Sword and Combi-bolter. Then just need to work out rules for Variel - the only apothecary rules that my codex has are for Fabius, but his rules are too strong for him I think. maybe using the profile of a chosen but with the Chireogeon (spelling?) rules added to it. Could also run Talos as a Chaos Lord with the other five as chosen - that way Uzas could be the champion, giving him access to a chain axe so the only additions to the standard unit would be the Chireogeon and the Eviserator.

That would be a fairer way of running them in my opinion - It's just a shame I can't show Uzas' tendancies towards Khorne.

Nemac

15pts for an Apoth and 25pts for the Eviscerator, 10 pts for a Heavy Bolter (or a bit more if you wanted to give it HellFire shells or similar).  Basing them on Chosen gives them the 2 Attacks base which these "heroes", if you will :wink:, should have. maybe give Uzas Rage for 5pts or whatever?

Edited by Raztalin

A possibility is to stick with the CSM dex+Traitor Legions and try to get them without rules alterations. Make them all heroes chaos lords! :)

Except Variel, who maybe should be a ML 2 Bio sorc? Even rules wise, it can be considered for him to be a Dark Apostle (zealot and boon buffs results of drugs) because he would save anyone in combat, due him being busy flaying the fallen.

If Herohammer 40k is too much, make Talos a Warlord and the other chosen (Xarl's eviscerator may use the Power Axe profile) and call it a day.

Note: I have to concede, I like Xarl despise his silly hat :P

Great job!

A possibility is to stick with the CSM dex+Traitor Legions and try to get them without rules alterations. Make them all heroes chaos lords! :smile.:

Except Variel, who maybe should be a ML 2 Bio sorc? Even rules wise, it can be considered for him to be a Dark Apostle (zealot and boon buffs results of drugs) because he would save anyone in combat, due him being busy flaying the fallen.

If Herohammer 40k is too much, make Talos a Warlord and the other chosen (Xarl's eviscerator may use the Power Axe profile) and call it a day.

Note: I have to concede, I like Xarl despise his silly hat :tongue.:

Great job!

I think I will run Variel as a chosen but give him the addition of the Chirurgeon. Also have been trying to figure out a special rule similar to Lucius' Duellists Pride for Xarl, but no quite so potent and I think myself and Raz are closing in on something pretty special :). Talos will have to be run as a Lord unless I can think of a way to give him some sort of prophecy (I was thinking about some sort of re-roll).

I am very happy you have changed your mind with regard to Xarl, I am very pleased with how he came out :D

Xarl is looking fantastic now, mate! Brilliant work!

Thanks Kraut :). Not many more to go now and then hopefully I can post the rules for them!

Odd request - could I get a photo of your photo set up? It always comes out so well :smile.:

I will try my best Chaz but unfortunately I am in the process of packing up to move house :( - Xarl's photo wasnt taken with my usual set up but with a make shift booth as a temporary measure. I Should be able to get to the booth and set it up at some point soon though :D

Thanks for the comments guys - It's always appreciated!

Nemac

Cheers Nemac!

Now that I'm thinking about Talos, how about to make him a ML2 psyker instead? Rolling in Telepathy (for the primaris power, shriek, that reflects the NL scream weapons of the novels) and the Sinistrum discipline, as it have some elements of prophesy (namely Warp Fate, Armour of Hatred, Diabolic Strength  and Death Hex).

Odd request - could I get a photo of your photo set up? It always comes out so well :smile.:

Chaz, this is what I use though I also had some advice from Raztalin about changing the bulbs in the lamps because they overheat quite quickly:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0064MRG64/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hope that helps :)

Nemac

Morning all!

I have done some work on Talos and Variel but still no photo booth so you will have to make do with pictures taken on my desk :). I still have a fair bit of work to do on these guys including touch ups and the obvious missing limbs :)

Variel.png  Talos.png

Let me know what you guys think  and C&C is always welcome!

Nemac

Very striking blue. I like it ^^)

Thanks Steamius :D

Whoa, gorgeous stuff! Are You dead set on Variel using the Chirurgeon backpack, btw? Seeing the model wirhout a backpack makes me think he might work better with a standard Apothecary backpack.

Talos is already looking spectacular!

Thanks Kraut :tu:. I have started painting the Chirurgeon but I will try it out on the model and put the pics up on here for final critique. I would like to use it in all honesty as I do think they look pretty cool :)

Really really cool NL!

Always nice to see how far people push the 8th on this board :smile.:

Thanks Charlo, I may push them even further yet :wink:

Gorgeous!! From Fabius to Fabulous!

Lol, thanks Chaz -  'The Fabulous Variel' (doesn't sound like a Night Lord eh?) :D

loving this figure ... really liking the helmet, how did you go about painting it ? 

Thanks Sagentus, were you referring to Variel or Talos? I actually used a 0.1 black pen for the marking on Talos helmet but for painting I mark out the skull pattern with thin lines of Zandri Dust, then fill in the areas with it. I then paint over with Ushabti Bone and the highlight the mouth grill, under the eyes and across the brow with Pallid Wych Flesh :)

Thanks for the comments guys!

Nemac

Cheers for the tips on the terror markings. I reckon that chirurgeon pack will really seal Variel. I've never seen the Fabius backpack in person but would there be room on it to maybe add the search light from the standard apothecary pack or would that clutter it too much

I have used the tanks between the arms on the Fabius backpack but I am not overly fond of the classic design. I may remove the arms and figure a way of attaching them to a standard apothecary backpack. I could just use the one arm and have it hanging over his shoulder (probably the one with the needle and blade) and then have the searchlight on the other side?

Nemac

While I think the chirurgeon is a cool piece in and of itself, it has just never really worked for me on anyone but Fabius -- especially the arms. And it just seems off on Variel, because no mention is ever made of him wearing something like that -- at least that's my recollection of the books. I also think it might rather overwhelm the rest of the model, when Variel is really one of the more subtly threatening characters from First Claw (well, apart from the flayed faces, that is). But that's just my take on the source material, so yeah. Go with what works for you.

I have just scanned back through the books and there is no mention of him using a chirurgeon. They do however mention he has a lamp on his pack. I'll have to check my bits box and see how it looks. Thanks for the advice Kraut, I had also written rules for him but could change that when I see the rules for space marine apothecaries :)

Gorgeous!! From Fabius to Fabulous!

Lol, thanks Chaz -  'The Fabulous Variel' (doesn't sound like a Night Lord eh?) :biggrin.:

Night Lords just have a different perspective on fashion and what constitutes "fabulous." ;)

Actually thinking of doing something similar for my Alpha Legion - It always felt weird to me that the CSMs jettisoned their apothecaries alongside their drop pods and land speeders! Really like how you did the skin on both too:)