Getting better and better all the time ;)

I really love the idea of building First Claw at the "normal" 28mm scale: Truescaling is an excellent way of bringing iconic characters to life, but there is also something to be said for versions of established characters that you can actually use alongside the rest of your army!

Uzas is looking even better now -- what kind of helmet are you planning for him? Mk. III? As for the bloody handprint, I can tell you from personal experience that painting one of those is not quite as terrible as you might fear ;)

As for Cyrion and Mercutian, they are looking great as well. Mercutian's heavy bolter is not nearly baroque and brutal enough for my taste, however. I suppose the daemon faced muzzle might change that, though.

Getting better and better all the time :wink:

I really love the idea of building First Claw at the "normal" 28mm scale: Truescaling is an excellent way of bringing iconic characters to life, but there is also something to be said for versions of established characters that you can actually use alongside the rest of your army!

Uzas is looking even better now -- what kind of helmet are you planning for him? Mk. III? As for the bloody handprint, I can tell you from personal experience that painting one of those is not quite as terrible as you might fear :wink:

As for Cyrion and Mercutian, they are looking great as well. Mercutian's heavy bolter is not nearly baroque and brutal enough for my taste, however. I suppose the daemon faced muzzle might change that, though.

Thanks Kraut, you are right about Mercutian's HB. I am planning to add the daemonic muzzle from the art work to the front of it so that should help it a little bit. As for Uzas, looking at the same artwork I feel that the World Eaters MKII helmet without the bunny ears is the best fit for him:

s-l500.jpg

It has the single eye lens as described in the book (if i'm remembering correctly) and also the spikes on the top from the picture. An added bonus is that their should be plenty of room to paint a hand print :D.

I'm reading this after I've already sent those bits to you mate and gutted I hadn't read it sooner. I have a narthesium you can have, I've also got a couple MkV helmets as well. Send me a pm and I'll see what I can help with. :thumbsup:

I am now in the same boat having replied to the PM without reading this first haha. I have ordered the MKV helm and Raztalin has kindly offered to sen me the Narthesium but if I can think of anything else I will definitely let you know :D. I'm getting a lot of help putting these guys together and that just shows how great the frater  in this forum are! Also dude as promised, the model I plan to use for Xarl:

s-l1600.jpg

I will be making my own angry rabbit helmet for him because I don't want him to look like a stock Night Raptor. I will also have to add a loincloth of some sort and lots more severed heads and skulls :).

The legs for Talos which looked to be the most fitting actually come from the Kakophoni:

p.jpg

Terrible, tiny picture but it has the large knee pads and a loincloth that can be painted to look like flayed skin.

Thanks again for the comments and help guys :)

Nemac

:D no worries mate. As I say let me know if there's anything else. I like the idea of using the MkII WE helmet. I've always wanted to use them on a unit of Justaerin. Great choice on the body for Xarl and the legs for Talos. I've actually just been commissioned by a guy at my club to build a NL Chaos lord so I'll definitely be 'borrowing' some ideas from around here ;)

I remember giving Augustus hell for choosing that same helmet (or one very much like it) for Uzas, but the helmet has really grown on me in the meantime -- there's something rather ironic about giving a model a dedicated World Eaters helmet, too ;)

Judging by your mockups so far, you seem to be on an excellent track here. As I've said before, I am really looking forward to seeing these guys take shape! :)

Thanks Kraut :). That hadn't even occurred to me about giving a WE helm to Uzas, now I am definitely sticking with it :D. On a more annoying note, I painted his hands blue and they should be red so that has irritated me no end. Cyrion is now nearing completion and Uzas' helm arrived this morning along with a very generous delivery from Biohazard. Thanks to Bio I now have more then enough skulls to finish these guys properly and a bit I believe is from one of the AoS Khorne kits with a couple of severed heads that will be perfect for Variel. So, a massive THANK YOU! :D to Bio for not only sending me a couple of options for Xarl's chainsword but also a shed load of other bits that are going to come in very handy for this project!

I have done more work on Mercutian's Heavy Bolter too, the daemonic face is now in place and just needs a coupe of gaps filling. After that I need to try and work out how to get the muzzle inside it's mouth. Maybe a problem for another day.

Nemac

Super looking forward to your First Claw being finished.

So far great looking parts to build them up I can easily picture each of them with the gear you have selected so far.

-Noctem

Once your done any chance your do Decimus? I'd be interested in how you see all the bits of First Claw he has put together to make their legacy would look next to his forebearers.

Edited by Noctem Cultor

Thanks Noctem :), I haven't finished the third book yet so I can't say whether or not I will because I need to read his description first, but maybe  :wink:. I have been working at First Claw this morning and have another update though:

SAM_1579.JPG

So from left to right: Cyrion, Talos, Mercutian and Uzas. A long, long way to go yet and I have to redo Uzas' gauntlets because I painted them the wrong colour. I may change the blade on the Talos sword to make it a bit more... well, spikey.

C&C welcome as always!

Nemac

Thanks dude :D, two of them are now completely finished and the next three are nearly fully built. The last one to make will be Variel and he is the apothecary. Ill try and get another picture up a little later with Xarl and Mercutian, Talos will not be shown again until he is finished :).

Nemac

Thanks Maximvs :D, having looked at the blade while adding a few trinkets to Talos I have to agree. The blade itself come straight out from the blood drop and beneath the wings which means I would have to be extra careful not to cut any of those details or to bend them. Mercutian is next up for some paint and then I will be painting Xarl :tu:

Not long to go now until I can continue to ponder how to run them during a game...

Nemac

Thanks Chaz and Vairocanum :smile.:, The sword will stay as is I think. With the legs though, I wanted something that resembles the artwork on the last page but also not a standard set of legs. I'm sure they won't be exact matches to said artwork but they should be easily recognisable as First Claw :biggrin.:

Nemac

Edited by Nemac Vradon

Morning all!

I have done a bit more work on First Claw. Cyrion and Uzas are now finished bar minor touch-ups and have had the mistakes I made previously rectified such as blue gauntlets on Uzas and no lightning bolt tears on Cyrions helm:

SAM_1585.JPG

The picture isn't great so I'll try and edit in a better one at a later date. I have also finished the basic construction of Xarl, again he needs a few touch ups on things like the sword handle and a bit of shaving off the bat wing helm but I'm pretty pleased with him :)

Xarl.png

This miniature is sponsored by Biohazard thanks to a generous donation of the bits need to create him :D.

As always let me know what you think, C&C is always welcome!

Nemac 

The two finished models are looking fantastic -- Uzas is especially lovely, although I also have to admit that he's basically my favourite character from the novels, so there ;)

Xarl also seems promising, but wouldn't you say that pose is maybe a tad overdesigned? He's jumping in one direction, looking in another and holding out a collection of severed heads in yet another different direction, and all while one-handedly wielding a massive chainsword. The longer I look at it, the less sense it seems to make (although it's an awesome model at first glance). I think the obvious solution would be to change the pose/orientation of the right arm.

Hmm, I think you have two broad general directions to consider:

1. Is he "presenting" those heads to somebody? If so, he needs to be looking in the same direction he's pointing, so you could either turn his head in the direction of his right arm. Or turn both the head and the arm to make it look like he's showing them to the enemy he's currently lunging at.

2. Is he grabbing those heads while already setting his mind to the next task? In that case, his arm should probably be down at his side (if at a somewhat more open pose), with the heads dangling down.

That being said, your idea about a bent elbow sounds interesting as well.

Personally, I'd look to turn his head to face the way his legs are moving, the pose looks more like he's advancing / taking off than landing (to me).

As for how to position the head collection, honestly not sure on the most natural position for that...could you reposition it so it follows the line of his right leg and the trophies are held lower than they are now as if they are counter balancing the swing of his mighty chain sword?

My initial idea was that he is in the middle of a duel and has leapt back to dodge a disembowelling strike from his opponent. He is described as being pretty handy in a duel after all.

Fair enough! In that case, the "trophy arm" arguably makes even less sense, though ;) Sounds like the bent-at-the-elbow pose you mentioned above might be the ticket, then.