So having finished the first unit of Night Lords, I have started working on the second. Beginning with the Sergeant. I wanted to try my hand at converting a Nostramen Chain Glaive and I think it came out pretty well.

SAM_1244.JPG

The base isn't the final one so don't worry it won't be that small. I am unsure whether to paint the shoulder with flayed skin or as tattered red cloth.

C&C welcome as always.

Nemac

That looks cool. He's got the look of "I have a big chib...I'm going to use this big chib...on you"

Looks sinister as hell

Thanks dude, the base I have for him has him resting the glaive on some debris so it will look more realistic :)

These are looking really well, your painting is so crisp.

Love the new chainglaive too, positively evil! Going to copy that sorry, I just am :biggrin.:

Thanks Midnight :). Copy away, the haft is the GK force staff, the top is a power axe and obviously the chainsword is from the Raptors box :tu:

He has the base armour done now but the light is not good enough for a photo. I will do some more work on him and try and get a WIP shot during that time but may not be able.

Nemac

Awesome work so far, bub. As for the Chain Glaive wielding Marine, I'd say paint the shoulder piece as cloth... it looks too wavy and fabric like to be flesh. I'd also recommend perhaps angling his right arm down a bit so the butt of the Glaive is touching the ground. Would make for a more natural pose.

Thanks DuskRaider :), I had thought about the glaive:

That looks cool. He's got the look of "I have a big chib...I'm going to use this big chib...on you"

Looks sinister as hell

Thanks dude, the base I have for him has him resting the glaive on some debris so it will look more realistic :smile.:

I think your right about the shoulder, I will probably paint both as cloth to be honest, lightning and a terror mask will make him look enough like a Night Lord :tu:

Nemac

I am in the strange position of generally disliking this style of armour painting (I would prefer a real dark bue as base colour, I guess I´m kind of a colour scheme conservative :tongue.: ) but being amazed by how great you executed this.

The white "skull-mask" is awesome, it really looks like I would imagine it from reading the Night Lord omnibus.

It really makes the quite unspecific and minimalistic looking MK IV`s appear very "Night Lordy".

What´s your recipe for that?

Greetings & thanks in advance,

Velype

Edited by LordVelype

Thanks LordVelpe, I chose this way of painting the armour because I really wanted them to look like they dwell in shadows and feel that a much darker scheme would allow that :). I will try and get some pictures of how I do the terror masks but the colours used in the correct order are:

Steel Legion Drab base

Steel Legion Drab and Ushabti Bone 1/1 mix

Ushabti Bone layer

Pallid Wych Flesh highlight

The Pallid Wych Flesh is only used just under the eyes, across the ridge of the nose and finally on the brow of the helmet.

Hope this helps for now and like I say I will try and get some pictures done for it :tu:

Nemac

I have finished the second Sergeant for the army. I am really chuffed with this one. The advice I got for painting the shoulder as cloth has really paid off so thanks for that :), I used the backpack from the new Deathwatch Chaplain Cassius model that I had left over from a previous conversion (Word Bearers Diobalist).

The Chainglaive i am particularly happy with though now that it is painted I can see there is a slight bend in it. We live and learn though and I am not going to take him apart to correct the problem.

I normally name a model using my screen name for each of my armies that I do so may I present Nemac Vradon, Headsman of the VIII Legion Night Lords:

SAM_1257.JPG  SAM_1258.JPG

C&C welcome as always :tu:

Nemac

Thanks guys, Glad you like him :). I'm working on his squad next and Burning of Prospero has been ordered today to arrive on Saturday so I can make each squad up to ten man with five of each armour mark. I may try and do something with the characters and see if I can make them fit this army.

Nemac

Thanks Sock :D, I am looking forward to painting the MKIII Terror Masks. I would like to have had the second squad of five MKIV ready for when they arrive but doubt I will have the time over the coming week. I should at least be able to get the base layers done or two full marines.

Nemac

Thanks for the comments guys :D

I have to ask, how did you achieve such a wonderful blue/black paint job?

Thanks Ratboy :). I'll do a quick rundown for now but will try and get pictures sorted on how I do it at some point.

- Base coat of black primer

- Second base coat of Abaddon Black

- Layer of 2/2/1 Kantor Blue, Abaddon Black and Lahmian Medium*

- Thinner Layer of Kantor Blue

- Wash of Drakebhof Nightshade all over armour panels

- Layer above mix* with added Caledor Sky

- Highlight above mix again this time with the added Caledor Sky and Fenrisian Grey

- Add Fenrisian Grey for each successive highlight until you get the brightness you want at the edges of the highlight.

Each layer should get progressively thinner so as to leave the previous colour showing through. if your mix starts to get too thick then you need to add more Lahmian Medium/water so it dries smoothly.

This may give an idea of what I mean:

Armour.jpg

I really hope that made sense and that it helped a little bit. If not let me know and I'll try and get a more in depth write up :)

Nice looking chainglaive. I took the easy way and bought the anvil industries "chainglaives" but your version looks much more brutal. :smile.:

I have to steal your flayed skin and face methods. Keep up the good work, brother.

Thanks CrusiusFin, I didn't know Anvil did Chainglaives. I'll have to go check that out, thanks and steal away :tu:

Nemac