+++ COVENANT OF CALIBAN +++

Darkn3ssF4lls

Some fantastic work all around!

Here's my meagre contribution. If it wasn't for this event I wouldn't have touched them... Here it goes:

med_gallery_27176_8271_25353.jpg

Th robed guy that was intended for Apothecary suffered an accident so I went for an unrobed one! :)

Vow complete!

Great work, brothers!  

Captain Semper, I think the apothecary's robes must still be at the dry cleaners.  Blood can be a pain to get out of fabric.  It is a great looking squad from the picture. I really like the banner.  I applaud you on the writing.  That is something that I cannot do at this point.  I found it hard enough to write the name on my IK.  The bases look great. I would like to get a closer look at those!  

Brother Moridius, great looking model.  I like the pose and the robes are well done!   I have recently painted one of those maces and I wasn't sure how to paint the head.  I really like blue lightening effect you have going on with yours.  I will probably have to steal your idea.  Great detailing on the book too!

i have ill news to report i will be unable to submit my completed project. work has called me to do some labours and deeds out of town and their making an offer i cannot refuse. i am currently away from home and far far from my project. due to the nature of the situation i have to declare my oath a failure on technicality alone. i am very sorry

Squad broken!

gallery_48108_12527_57790.jpg

I had a "busy" weekend, so I could simply not make it in time. At least I almost completed one figure tongue.png Not a waste at all. Ariochs "Faithfull Five", the Jetaira, will be completed! This I swear in the name of the Lion! (I go repent now sleep.png )

They're done.  I still don't have the good camera back because Cathie's daughter in Pennsylvania has a new puppy and it's sooooooooo cuuuuuuute...  Cathie is out there with the camera.  She will come back when the puppy's cuteness wears off, and by then, she will have to turn around and go right back out there for the new Grandchild.  I used the old camera, but the flash kills some of the detailing.  

These were a bit of an adventure, and I am not perfectly happy with them, but they will serve well on the tabletop for now.  I tried a different putty to fill the huge seam that runs down the whole bike. The first coat of primer hit and the putty just shrunk, leaving the seam looking almost as badly as if I had never filled it.   I will go back go Gunze Sangyo dissolved putty after this.  I painted the boltpistol guys with leadbelcher on the pistols and white emblems to match one that Kirk bought off of ebay.  (So they didn't look funny together.)  I have decided that I will repaint the one Kirk bought and also repaint these to add the red cases to the boltpistols.  They just look blah on the table, and I am going to paint several more bikes and attack bikes to give us two full squads.  I would rather repaint these two, plus Kirk's and then paint the other nine red than have a whole squadron of bikes with ugly pistols.  I tried mixing up the finishes on the black paint to make the bikes look a bit more lively.  For the most part, it worked.  I used an extra flat finish on the tires, a semi gloss on the bike itself, and a slightly glossy finish on the armor and packs.  I had to rework two of the packs, and I got them too grey and slightly glossy.  They look better in person than in the photo, but I still am not happy with them.  (They really are closer to black than the flash shows.  I hate painting black with a passion, but I am learning some of the tricks.

I am waiting for the labels to come from the printer.  The labels will cover up the black edges of the bases.  I tried a new finish on the bases, too.  I wanted it to be a different style than my Greenwing and Deathwing, but a compatible color.  They are too dark, so I will either darken the other bases a bit, or try to lighten these with some extra drybrushing.  The flash really kills the shading and details.  They look better than the pictures, but not perfect.  I got a touch ham fisted with the shading on the robes.  One of our players claims that my robed figures remind him of his Grandmother's folk art Santa collection.  I have been trying to lighten up on my shading, but I still like to make bold shadows.  

I am glad I did this challenge.  I am taking a pretty hard look at my painting, and I have some plans to improve it.  I also got a unit of bikes on the table, and I am going to unleash the fury of the Ravenwing tonight!  There is a renegade chaos band that needs to be shut down, and the extra points will put me on a more even footing.  Kirk's two ebay finds, with the plasma gun and the oddly colored boltpistol, will ride with us to snuff out the traitors.  Rumor has it that they have been in the company of a fallen.  Eventually, Kirk's will be repainted to match up more closely.

Seriously, this had been fun, and it has made me get off my behind and get some figures done.  I hope we get another Dark Angels challenge sometime soon.  I still have a whole pile on the "To Do" list.  The pile isn't getting any smaller, as I have purchased an assault squad and another group of terminators since I started the bikes, but the "Done" pile now has three more bikes in it.  All of the other projects have been a lot of fun to watch.  For the next challenge, I will be a little bit more organized and efficient in my painting.  I won't try so many new techniques 

Thanks for organizing this.  It is much appreciated. 

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i71/Cougdave/onboards/c3ef1905-4f13-4503-b29a-aef1db8b24f2.jpg

Will there be a covenant running untill 15th of december? I'm hoping so, I have a unit or two I need to make pledges on, so I can get painting! msn-wink.gif

It was not the plan this time around. This was run as a bit of an experiment and to see if there was interest and participation which did NOT disappoint. Everyone that participated should be commended! And a very special congratulations to Darkn3ssF4lls who stood up and took on running this (his first) event by himself with little assistance from the Inner Circle.

There is talk of repeating this one-month event as we near next year's ETL to get people primed for painting season. Followed by another event based on prepping miniatures for the ETL. The biggest reason the IC didn't want to have this be a multi-month event is that people would start dipping into models that could be used for next year's ETL instead of finishing models that are ineligible for the ETL. With the holidays coming up, hopefully, we will all be seeing for DA reinforcements arrive that could be assembled and painted in the next ETL.

Would you like for this event to be run again in the near future?

A huge thank you to Darkn3ssF4lls for hosting the event! You did a great job keeping people motivated throughout the month

GMB, I doubt there's a lack of people here with half painted units (myself included), or failed how's from the ETL. But I agree, running something like this every month could impact the ETL negatively, even though it's a great motivation to mop up units.

That sounds like a great plan for March/ April to get people motivated and moving in the right direction for the ETL. This year's results were a little sub par from previous years. I think we also need to figure out a way to keep people pushing through the ETL. I know the strategy thread in other forums were constantly being updated, while ours was very quiet.

Thank you all for working with me on this event. It was alot of fun, I look forward to helping out in the future, though maybe i'll actually get sometime to paint my VOW! next time sad.png.

I updated the thread last night, please make sure that your properly noted for the history books smile.png

That sounds like a great plan for March/ April to get people motivated and moving in the right direction for the ETL. This year's results were a little sub par from previous years. I think we also need to figure out a way to keep people pushing through the ETL. I know the strategy thread in other forums were constantly being updated, while ours was very quiet.

I always thought we needed to build a prep guide to help people decide what to get and what to paint. I don't game anymore so I have no idea which units are points heavy and would be useful later on the tabletop. Ravenwing seem the easiest to paint but are they the fastest? Do they have the points to back them up? Bone seems to be a PAIN to paint in the rigorous schedule of the ETL unless one has a successor so a points heavy Terminator unit may bog a painter down.

Those are just some random thoughts I had and perhaps we could start up a new thread to discuss.

Thanks, Darkn3ssF4lls.  My knight would never have gotten painted this fast without this challenge!  

It is great to see everyone's models!  A lot of grey plastic has disappeared from people's collections... and that is a good thing!  Well done all!

Well done, brothers. The forces of the First have strengthened. Thanks, Darkn3ssF4lls, for the great event. Great work to all who completed their vows; the quality of painting and modeling in this forum never ceases to impress me.

FC

Archived