IL XVII - The Warriors of Peace

~Drakzilla~

I made the mistake of watching a Top 10 Dynasty Warriors video and now I'm stuck on the subject. If only I had Dynasty Warriors 8, bah! I can't remember, have you played any of the games, drak?

I agree that the Ultramarines disadvantage doesn't quite line up with the Warriors. I'm trying to picture it, it'd be like the opposite problem that the Custodians have. Each one is an incredible warrior, but they aren't as well trained in group tactics. The Warriors would be too well-trained for fighting as a group with some exceptions. Maybe something like the Kill Team Break rule? Whenever a force is reduced below 50%, each unit has to take a LD test or be removed from play. Now, obviously, you wouldn't do something nearly that harsh for a legion. But, what if the Warriors fall below 50%, and then everyone has a -1 or -2 modifier to LD tests?

I think I only played 6 and Empires 5. But I pretty much played the latter to death, and haven't owned any gaming stuff for over four years now

Pity. The quality of the story really jumped with 7 and then higher with 8. Do you have a favorite warrior?

I liked using Lu Xun in 5, although I wasn't really a fan of his fluff. Used that two swords template for a custom character though, and something about how I built him up made him crazy fast.

Liu Bei was satisfying to play in 6 for the same reason, and I like Xiahou Dun too.

In 7, they introduce a new weapon system where you can pick whatever weapon you use with any character. Each character has an affinity for one specific weapon, but you can play dual swords with everybody now. 

So, I don't have a favorite character in terms of gameplay, except any warrior who's musou is essentially a magical nuke of sorts. That's always satisfying, but I can't remember which ones do that right now.

Liu Bei is one of my favorites for simply trying to stay the idealist during the war. 

I've always had a great affinity for Zhao Yun's Spear, though I've also enjoyed occasionally using other characters' weapons with my Create-A-Characters, like Cao Pi's huge sword or Liu Bei's Twin Swords in DW2, my current avatar in DW8:Empires wields Yue Jin's Twin Tiger Hookswords due to my continuing obsession with them, with my best friend Karl (who got me into Dynasty Warriors with DW3, I still miss the customisable intro/outro sequences) preferring Jia Chong's Throwing Axes for his CaC.

Liu Bei is one of my favorites for simply trying to stay the idealist during the war.

SHU 4 LYFE!

*clear throat awkwardly*

Ahem. Likewise, Liu Bei's benevolence and altruism really drew me to the Shu Kingdom, much like with his officers, who all were drawn to his service by their shared belief in his dream and admiration of his virtue. The Peach Garden Oath made with Guan Yu & Zhang Fei as well as Zhuge Liang's deciding to serve Liu Bei after his three visits all speak volumes of his character, all of his most powerful and wisest allies he earned through his sheer sincerity and righteous, selfless nature. Now that I think about it, Alexandros rather reminds me of him.

Edited by SanguiniusReborn

Woot! Another righteous Shu supporter! And thank you for the comparison. Shows that I'm doing a good job with Alex.

Also, can I say how ironic it is that our creepy memelord/crazy hobo supports Shu?

....Yeah I'm a Shu guy too. Wei is cool when I'm feeling edgy/villainous but its the boys in Green the whole way.

So, that's San, me, and now Slips. Do we need a peach garden? And who's your favorite character, Slips?

Shu fo sho, though Wei can be fun in a villainous way. I like Wu when they're led by Sun Jian. Anyone up for a red, tiger-themed cohort of successors who pledge themselves to the Emperor?

4 Shu supporters. 1 more and we can recreate the Tiger Generals, right?

*glances at the Crimson Crusaders* Hmmmmm. If the Warriors don't have room, I have a back-up or two.

Alas, I have not played any Dynasty Warriors. Which is ironic, considering I'm in charge of the Dynasty Warriors-inspired legion. Oops...

I'll have to give it a try sometime.

And Sim, what you suggested would fit perfectly, I think.

It's a hack-and-slash game. So, if that isn't your cup of tea, feel free to look up cutscenes to get a feel for the characters. ...well....one very interesting interpretation of some characters. *glances at Zhange He*

And glad you like the suggestion. Or, to match the scaling of the advantage, you could have it that it's -1 LD at 75%, -2 LD at 50%, and -3 LD at 25%. Or something like that.

I made the mistake of watching a Top 10 Dynasty Warriors video and now I'm stuck on the subject. If only I had Dynasty Warriors 8, bah! I can't remember, have you played any of the games, drak?

I agree that the Ultramarines disadvantage doesn't quite line up with the Warriors. I'm trying to picture it, it'd be like the opposite problem that the Custodians have. Each one is an incredible warrior, but they aren't as well trained in group tactics. The Warriors would be too well-trained for fighting as a group with some exceptions. Maybe something like the Kill Team Break rule? Whenever a force is reduced below 50%, each unit has to take a LD test or be removed from play. Now, obviously, you wouldn't do something nearly that harsh for a legion. But, what if the Warriors fall below 50%, and then everyone has a -1 or -2 modifier to LD tests?

This makes good sense from a gameplay perspective, but does it feel backwards to anyone else? If their weakness is lack of training in group tactics surely they'd become better as their numbers diminish rather than worse? As then they wouldn't need to work in harmony with others and could exert more personal control over the situation? Maybe I'm the only one who thinks this.

Damn, all of that sounds really cool but I don't have any clue of what you are talking about. XD

And I believe that I won't catch up with only watching a movie or so. ^^

Wouldn't 75% or 25% be hard to keep track of? I'm in favor of keeping it simple. So once 50% of units (rounding up?) have been destroyed, all LA: WoP units have a -2 modifier to leadership tests?

That's fair.

Woot! Another righteous Shu supporter! And thank you for the comparison. Shows that I'm doing a good job with Alex.

Also, can I say how ironic it is that our creepy memelord/crazy hobo supports Shu?

You're welcome! :happy.: Also, just because I'm crazy doesn't mean I'm not a nice guy. :wink.:  

....Yeah I'm a Shu guy too. Wei is cool when I'm feeling edgy/villainous but its the boys in Green the whole way.

So, that's San, me, and now Slips. Do we need a peach garden? And who's your favorite character, Slips?

Hell yeah, pour the Rice Wine and make a toast to future glory my brothers!

AnQZYp.gif

Alas, I have not played any Dynasty Warriors. Which is ironic, considering I'm in charge of the Dynasty Warriors-inspired legion. Oops...

I'll have to give it a try sometime.

And Sim, what you suggested would fit perfectly, I think.

SHAME! Fix that, now! Not simply because they're fun games, but they always have a huge encyclopedia section detailing the history and people of the Era of the Three Kingdoms, it's fascinating stuff.

Shu fo sho, though Wei can be fun in a villainous way. I like Wu when they're led by Sun Jian. Anyone up for a red, tiger-themed cohort of successors who pledge themselves to the Emperor?

Hell the Frag yeah, that sounds awesome! Maybe they can have a fondness for incendiary weapons as a reference to Wu's notorious love of Fire Attacks? Wait, that gives me an idea now, maybe the love of fire comes from the Warriors of Peace Chapter that formed the successor, they served alongside the Fire Keepers alot and sort of picked up a few tricks from them, possibly even leading to them heartrendingly being assigned to take part in the Warrior's ambush of Xth on the Day of Revelation?

4 Shu supporters. 1 more and we can recreate the Tiger Generals, right?

deadpool-gif.gif

*Squeals at a frequency inaudible to Human ears*

Hell the Frag yeah, that sounds awesome! Maybe they can have a fondness for incendiary weapons as a reference to Wu's notorious love of Fire Attacks? Wait, that gives me an idea now, maybe the love of fire comes from the Warriors of Peace Chapter that formed the successor, they served alongside the Fire Keepers alot and sort of picked up a few tricks from them, possibly even leading to them heartrendingly being assigned to take part in the Warrior's ambush of Xth on the Day of Revelation?

And thus, the Order of the Scarlet Tigers was born...

Alright, here's the revised LA rules:

Legiones Astartes Rules

Legion Astartes (Warriors of Peace): All units with this special rule may always attempt to regroup regardless of casualties.

The Way of Jin: All units with the Legiones Astartes: Warriors of Peace rule receive an immunity based on how many units with this rule are within six inches of them. If one unit is within six inches, the unit automatically passes Pinning tests. If two units are within six inches of the unit, the unit automatically passes Fear tests. If three units are within six inches of the unit, the unit automatically passes Morale tests.

Strength Through Unity: If the number of units in a Warriors of Peace detachment falls below 50%, all units with the Legiones Astartes: Warriors of Peace rule suffer a -2 modifier to Leadership tests.

Also...I came up with an idea for the Warriors' first rite of war! I'd like to know what you guys think.

Warriors of Peace Unique Rite of War: The Art of Battle

Effects

•Fight As One: When two units with the Legiones Astartes: Warriors of Peace special rule begin and end the movement phase within 2” of each other, they are considered to be linked. One linked unit in the pair gains a special rule based on the type of unit it is linked with:

–Troops: Counterattack

–Elites: Preferred Enemy(Infantry)

–Fast Attack: Fleet

–Heavy Support: Tank Hunters

Each special rule lasts until the end of the game turn. Linked pairs cannot consist of two of the same unit. Techmarines or Apothecaries cannot count toward this rule.

Limitations

•Whenever both units in a linked pair are completely destroyed during the same turn, the opposing side gains +1 Victory point.

•Detachments using this Rite of War must take an additional Compulsory Troops choice as part of their Force Organization chart.

•Detachments using this Rite of War can make no more Elites, Fast Attack, or Heavy Support choices than it has Troops, respectively.

•Detachments using this Rite of War may not take any allies except for Sworn Brothers on the Allies Matrix.

I think it looks a little on the weak side overall and the linked pairs feels like something that would take some bookkeeping, but then the main Legion rules require keeping track of that sort of thing anyway. So it's not too much more to add on I guess.

I would consider making the "Fight as One" rule affect all units in the army, not just Warriors of Peace. That way the WoP can pass on the benefits to allies, or vice versa.

Also the restriction on Elites, Fast Attacks and Heavy Supports seems superfluous. With the third compulsory Troops you will always be able to take the max of either Heavy Support or Fast Attack. Unless the intention is that you can only take a combination of the three up to the same number as you have Troops?

I feel the Rite should have a little something extra to finish it off, though I don't have any specific ideas at the moment