Reaping Blow, Deathshroud Terminators

Ada

Hi,

I have just bought some Deathshroud and I'll using them tomorrow for the first time, something I can't get my head around though, pardon me if I'm missing something blindingly obvious or whatever but this will only be my 5th game of 40k so I'm still finding my feet with some of the rules.

So, my problem, first off the stats:

The Deathshroud scythe has the following special rules

Unwieldy, Reaping Blow

So unwieldy rule puts the user at initiative stage 1, a serious disadvantage already yes?

Now, when I'm looking at the Reaping blow rules I see even worse news for DS:

Reaping Blow: Models using a weapon with this special rule fight at -1 Initiative in assault.

-1 initiative, so they're now worse than initiative stage 1?

Is this correct, and if so what on earth does this do for the DS, it seems like a serious limitation to me.

As I said earlier, excuse me if I'm missing something really obvious, I feel like I've been looking at this for way to long now so I've probably missed something in the first place.

I think you're mixing up the new scythe rules with the old ones. In the current legion astartes age of darkness legions book, scythes just have reaping blow giving them -1 initiative, and not the unwieldy rule.

Thanks buddy, I was taking my rules from a battlescribe list, which still retains all of the unwieldy rules and adds the reaping blow rule to this. Hence my confusion.

-1 initiative makes much more sense now.

Basically they strike at Initiative 3, and add an extra attack if more than one enemy is touching the Base. Brutally effective cc and anti-horde unit I've seen in action on more than one occasion.

I do strongly recommend you pick up the latest books to avoid confusion as mistakes in army building software lists are common place.

I've got ten of them and love them. Pick your targets wisely tho. Anti horde they are great, anti terminator they are also great as strike before powerfists/poweraxes at ap2 but I wouldn't run them in to any death stars.

In ZM they absolutely excel!

Went up against a Mechanicum force, they're some tough cookies, rad grenades help though

Typhon and his Deathshroud tore through a 6 man Thallax unit and magos. Took one turn longer than I hoped though (my opponent rolled 4 6's to keep one alive!!). So they didn't get to cause anymore carnage with the game ending at turn 5.

The DS were awesome though, I'm considering another 5 that's for sure.

Thanks to all that helped me out with this rule

Best part about Death Guard is that they can run a viable all-termie list.

Yes indeed!

The horror on my opponents face when he realised I was running 21 Termies was priceless. Not quite the entirety of my force but certainly over half. My ten man termie squad went down hard though against three Castelax.

Ishagu, I have Morty but not had chance to run him yet due to point restrictions, I look forward to the day I finally get the big man on the battlefield.

I think I had a list with more termies for 1850 it was:

Praetor with Paragon or Power Scythe (MC either way), Tartaros, and Digi Lasers, running PoTL

2 x Medicaes with Cataphractii and Volkites

2 x 10 Legion Terminator with Cataphractii, 9 Volkites, Reaper Autocannon, 5 Chainfists and 5 Power Fists

4 Deathshroud

5 Grave Wardens with 3 Chainfists/All Chainfists if Praetor took Power Scythe

Yeah there's that but we're not very competitive around here (I don't even HAVE a Medusa...). This list obviously isn't for tourneys, and there is the fact that it began as a ZM list.

Archived