The halls of the Liber are far quieter now than before. The hussle and bussle has all but faded, leaving many of the previously well-lit and well-trodden corridors now dark, silent, and empty. It is however a singular place and despite its current state of disrepair, there are still many secrets to be discovered, Chapters, regiments and warbands to create, battles to be fought...
Ludo had reluctantly left his beloved Culinarium in the hands of his aides and had gone looking for the serfs who had been tasked with the repair of Olis' prized Volkite caliver after it had conked out (again) last week due to his overzealous trigger-pulling. The Liberite serfs had grumbled because the parts needed to make such repairs were extremely difficult to source. They did however assure him that the work would be done within a fortnight. Ludo, ever a curious creature, was rather unsuccessfully attempting to locate the Liber workshop where the serfs were doubtlessly busy repairing the weapon. His aim was simple: uncover the secrets of Volkite technology which were in the 41st Millennium all but lost to Mankind and even the Adeptus Mechanicum. And yet, somehow, the Liber serfs had this priceless knowledge in their possession and Ludo was keen to discover just how they could do such a thing.
After wandering for what seemed like hours (his built-in chronometer had very suddenly and very mysteriously stopped functioning... which was the perfect excuse for visiting the Liber workshop, or so he thought), the Astartes felt rather lost. He used to know the way round the Liber's corridors like the back of his gauntlet back in the day but now, with the deep shadows and abandoned hallways... he was pretty sure he was going round and round in circles.
Choosing to take the right-hand corridor instead of taking the left one like he usually did, he walked a short distance before being forced to stop before a large door carved out of dark marble, shot through with veins of turquoise-blue and white. It was cool to the touch and looked like it hadn't been opened in decades. Ludo was certain he'd never come down here before. After scratching his head for a few moments, he noticed a keypad on the right side of the door. As he approached, the small green screen flickered to life and a short message started to appear...
+ WELCOME LIBERITE +
+ TO ENTER THROUGH THIS DOOR, EERY +
+ PLEASE ANSWER THIS SIMPLE QUERY +
+ DESCRIBE THE DARK ANGELS WITH ONE EIGHT-LETTER WORD +
Ludo groaned and brought his gauntlet to rest against his face: even the keypads in the Liber had a quirky behaviour and terrible sense of poetry and rhymes. He'd have a word with Ace once he'd gotten to the bottom of this mystery.
Pondering the enigma for a few of seconds, he laughed out loud, the sound echoing loudly in the empty chamber, when he realised what the answer was. He quickly typed in the word in...
+ HERETICS +
...and pressed the "Enter" button. For about a minute nothing happened and Ludo was just about to punch the keypad out of frustration when a low rumble started to get louder, and louder, and louder before it became a deafening roar that caused the walls around the Space Marine to shake and small bits of masonry to start falling down from the ceiling. The massive door swung open surprisingly fast for something their size and caught Ludo off-guard.
As he picked himself up from the floor, rubbing his bruised nose, he turned on his hand-held illum stick and pointed it through the door, into the darkness beyond. Advancing cautiously, boltgun loaded and ready in his right hand, illum stick in his left, he moved into the chamber. He had walked a few score metres before a circle on the floor erupted in flames, trapping him in a large circle. Upon the previously hidden walls, torches flared up and banished the shadows with their fiery light, revealing tiered levels all around the circle in which the Space Marine stood. Ludo dropped the illum stick and brought his boltgun up to his shoulder, turning and scanning the room attentively for any threats, alert and ready to engage at a moment's notice. But nothing happened. There was not a soul in sight. The Astartes, visibly confused, waited another two minutes before lowering his weapon. That is when whatever it was that was hiding in the chamber creeped up on him.
Ludo pivoted 180° degrees and let loose a short burst of bolter fire. The bolts flew through the air and embedded themselves into the wall on the other side of the large room, detonating a moment later, but leaving very little damage. The Astartes, boltgun ready for a second burst observed his foe for a short while before lowering his weapon again, astounded. Before him stood Chaplain Lucifer of the Dark Angels, a fierce grin on his face.
"That was for the heretic thing."
Before he could protest and explain that it wasn't him but Ace playing pranks again, Chaplain Lucifer's features activated their "grim mode", and the Dark Angel beckoned for Ludo to follow him.
"I have much to show you for your next task. You have much work to do and many Liberites to gather for this most special event to be the success it ought to be."
Welcome one and all to the Liber Feast of Blades! With the festive season approaching almost upon us (or having already started for some), what better to do than gather with your fellow brother- and sisters-in-arms for a good fight and a hearty feast afterwards? All in the name of the Emperor/Dark Gods, of course!
This event will give you the opportunity to create a character from your DIY chapter or warband of choice. The idea is that each of you writes a bit of background story, builds and paints a suitable model, and then (using the rules provided below and the appropriate Codex) builds a character profile for the Feast of Blades. Once this is done, you can officially enter your character into the Feast of Blades and fight for the honour and glory of victory! The last champion standing shall be crowned as champion of the Liber (well, until the next Feast of Blades that is…) and there shall be much rejoicing!
How can I participate in the Feast of Blades?
It's a relatively easy process.
- Read through this whole post carefully. Make sure you understand everything and if you don’t, ask. If all’s good, go to step 2.
- Using the rules below and the appropriate Codex, create a character profile for your chosen champion.
- Now write between 200 and 500 words of background story for your character. If you haven’t given one already, your character needs a name.
- If you don’t already have a model which represents your character, you need to build and paint one. Only fully assembled and painted models will be accepted as valid challengers. Basing is optional but strongly encouraged. Note: the model must conform to the rules of WYSIWYG that can be found in the Warhammer 40’000 7th Edition rulebook. No exceptions.
- In this very thread, submit a photo of your DIY chapter/warband champion along with his profile and background story.
- Wait patiently until the fights begin, eat popcorn while others duke it out in the arena.
- Gain honour and glory in the name of Emperor of Mankind or (dis)honour and infamy in the name of the Dark Gods of Chaos!
Example character profiles:
Strike- Captain Lysimachus (C:SM): Terminator Captain, relic blade, storm shield, digital weapons, one re-roll [160 pts]
Veteran Sergeant Olisredan (C:BA): Vanguard Veteran Sergeant, twin hand flamers, jump pack, seven re-rolls [158 pts]
Chaplain Lucifer (C:DA): Interrogator Chaplain, combi-plasma, conversion field, digital weapons, Shroud of Heroes [160 points]
When does it start?
The Feast of Blades event will start on Saturday 19th November 2016. You have until that to create the necessary model/background story/profile and submit your champion for the contest.
How does it work?
- The first “tier” of pairings is randomly determined, while further tiers of parings will follow a bracket scheme.
- In case of an odd number of participants I will have a stand-in character ready.
- Each champion shall fight another champion in the arena. They start at 18” from each other and both roll for Initiative (character initiative value +/- bonuses/maluses + D6 result) to see who goes first. The champion with the highest score goes first.
- The model going first will get to move, shoot and assault. The model being assaulted can Overwatch at full Ballistic Skill. However if the charge fails the model that Overwatch’d can't shoot during his shooting phase.
- Combats will be resolved just as a normal 40K combat until one model is left with 0 wounds.
- I shall simulate the duels and then write up a report which will be posted here. The main report will be written in the style of an actual story but a full list of the actual dice roll results and such shall also be posted.
General arena rules:
- I will be the Arena/Feast/Game Master. Any decision I make will be final (though strong cases shall be taken into consideration).
- 160 points limit.
- Any character has full access to their respective Codex Armoury.
- No named characters/count-as.
- No bikes or mounts.
- No vehicles.
- There is no Instant Death. Any weapon that would cause ID will cause 1D2 wounds instead.
- Any character is allowed from a Sergeant/Aspiring Champion to a Chapter Master/Chaos Lord, including “specialists” like Librarians/Sorcerers and Chaplains/Dark Apostles. For Sergeants, Aspiring Champions, and other “one-wound characters” read on to see what their base point costs are and what rules apply.
- Characters with special rules will always try to use them to their advantage.
- Acute Senses, Infiltrate, Scout, Split Fire, Outflank, Deep Strike,... basically any rule that affects an aspect of the game that isn’t present in the arena such as deployment or effects on friendly units have no effect.
- You keep your character for the whole event. No changes can be made during combat (unless they come from the Chaos boon table).
Like in Blood Bowl, rerolls may be purchased by characters at a cost of 15 points each. This is to even things out between characters. A Captain has a higher Weapon Skill, more attacks, etc. but a Sergeant’s long years on the field of battle let him anticipate his opponents’ movements, dodge their attacks, etc. Re-rolls are used sequentially for each failed roll a character makes, so if you buy two re-rolls, rapid fire a boltgun in the first turn and miss both, then that is both re-rolls gone until your next fight.
Other character perks:
- Sergeants, Veteran Sergeants, Aspiring Champions, etc. will have the Proven Mettle rule to balance out their inherent weaknesses when compared to more powerful characters. Any character who has only one wound will have a special 6+ save that can be after any other saves have been taken (very much akin to a FNP save).
- Move Through Cover rule gives a +1 movement bonus (applies to basic movement, charge distance, run distance, etc.).
- Eternal Warrior reduces the effects of Instant Death from 1D2 Wounds to 1 Wound.
- Librarians will always roll on the table(s) chosen by the player before the table.
- Librarians will always use one dice from the Warp Charge pool to try and activate their force weapon.
- Jump packs give a +1 to initiative rolls to see who goes first.
- If one model has 2 different CC weapons, the attacks will be split evenly between both or at user's discretion upon submitting entry.
- You cannot re-roll re-rolls (i.e. a Chaplain's Zealot rule gives re-rolls for first round of combat, purchased re-rolls will be for subsequent turns)
Now, for any Codex-specific rules, please consult the relevant section below:
Chaos Space Marines
Two last things:
- The most important rule of them all! We are here to have a good time! Some match-ups might seems unfair and while I have done what I can to balance things, certain builds will inevitably be more powerful than others. However I ask all of you to keep in mind this: fluff + fun > power + winning. The aim of the game is to tell a good story; winning is very much a secondary objective.
- If you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask! Whether by posting them here or sending me a PM, don't feel embarassed to make sure everything you have read is 100% crystal clear.
Now, in the name of the Liber, the Emperor, and Dark Gods, may the mightiest champion prevail over his foes!
Edited by Dosjetka, 02 November 2016 - 03:06 PM.