IIIrd Fulgrim, Terminators and Jetbikes 2.5k

Rangaman

I might just do that, or obtain a Praetor Tribune for the Primus...good thing I already have 5 unbuilt Phoenix Terminators and Fulgrim on the way, can't wait to get started!

I have tinkered with the changes to get Shriekers on the Phoenix Terminators and that led me to two different lists. The first changes the Primus Medicae to a Chaplain which gives me the points for the Shriekers, the second is dropping the Centurion entirely which gives me the points to arm all Cata terminators with chanfists aswell as max the Phoenix terminators and Volkite calivers on the Leviathan.

+++ EC Primarchs Chosen Terminator Heavy (2500pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List (Age of Darkness) (2500pts) ++

+ HQ (380pts) +

Fulgrim the Illuminator (380pts) [Primarch]

Master of the Legion [Primarch's Chosen]

+ Troops (750pts) +

Legion Terminator Squad (375pts) [Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod, Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, 4x Chainfist, 4x Combi-Weapon, 4x Legion Terminators]

Legion Terminator Sergeant [Chainfist, Combi-Weapon]

Legiones Astartes [Legion Specific Rules]

Legion Terminator Squad (375pts) [Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod, Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, 4x Chainfist, 4x Combi-Weapon, 4x Legion Terminators]

+ Elites (715pts) +

Contemptor-Cortus Class Dreadnought Talon (275pts)

Cortus Dreadnought [Chainfist with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, 2x Graviton Gun, Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod]

Phoenix Terminator Squad (440pts) [8x Phoenix Terminators, Sonic Shriekers]

[Phoenix Champion]

+ Heavy Support (655pts) +

Legion Kharybdis Assault Claw (235pts)

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought Talon (420pts)

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought [Cyclonic Melta Lance, Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod, Leviathan Siege Drill, Phosphex Discharger, 2x Twin-linked Volkite Caliver]

+ Legion +

Legion Astartes [iII: Emperor's Children, Traitor]

Created with BattleScribe

+++ EC Primarchs Chosen Terminator Heavy (2500pts) +++

+ HQ (510pts) +

Legion Centurion (130pts) [Tartaros Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Thunderhammer]

May be upgraded to one of these Consul roles: [Chaplain]

+ Troops (710pts) +

Legion Terminator Squad (355pts) [Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod, Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Chainfist, 4x Combi-Weapon, 4x Legion Terminators, 3x Power Fist]

Legion Terminator Sergeant [Combi-Weapon, Power Fist]

Legion Terminator Squad (355pts) [Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod, Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Chainfist, 4x Combi-Weapon, 4x Legion Terminators, 3x Power Fist]

+ Elites (635pts) +

Contemptor-Cortus Class Dreadnought Talon (275pts)

Cortus Dreadnought [Chainfist with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, 2x Graviton Gun, Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod]

Phoenix Terminator Squad (360pts) [6x Phoenix Terminators, Sonic Shriekers]

[Phoenix Champion]

+ Heavy Support (645pts) +

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought Talon (410pts)

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought [Cyclonic Melta Lance, Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod, Leviathan Siege Drill, Phosphex Discharger]

+ Legion +

You really don't need all chainfists on the Cataphracti. That's just a waste of points, unless you are fighting a Warlord or something on the regular :P

I also hate to break it to you but I think your list is currently illegal.

Primarch's chosen seems like a total dream at first but it actually has a pretty big downside - you need to have more units with the LA:EC rule than without. Dedicated transports DO count towards this too, as otherwise it would call out that they don't (like in the BA Legion rules and such).

We discussed it here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/326473-question-about-primarchs-chosen-rite-of-war/

Currently you have this:

NOT LA:EC

1. Fulgrim
  2. Dreadclaw
  3. Dreadclaw
  4. Cortus
  5. Dread Pod
  6. Khrybdis
  7. Leviathan
  8. Dread Pod

LA:EC

1. Chaplain
  2. Terminator Squad
  3. Terminator Squad
  4. Phoenix Terminator Squad

I believe these restrictions are in place so that you DO take an army of Vets and Terminators surrounding the Primarch to create their ultimate Vanguard - not a different kind of force led by a Primarch simply to skimp on the compulsory Tacs or to lose the downsides of Pride. Also to use the Primarch in smaller games.

So basically, you may just need to change out this list to be Pride of the legion instead - which is fine! As you can still run it as is.

So basically, you may just need to change out this list to be Pride of the legion instead - which is fine! As you can still run it as is.

Actually, 'Pride of the Legion' also has that same restriction! Good pick-up though Charlo - it gets missed in army lists lately.

Rangaman, with this in mind, you probably need to completely rebuild this list unfortunately. :(

Wow...thanks for the pickup guys. I don't know how I completely missed that. Back to the drawing board!

Bit of a bummer about the restrictions on LA:EC>nonLA:EC but I've made some changes to bring it in line and to try and keep the theme. Plan is Fulgrim is with the Phoenix Terminators in a Kharybdis still, two Cata Terminator squads in Dreadclaws but now I can Outlfank or Infilitrate three Veteran squads up close using the Warlord trait 'Master of Ambush'...

+++ EC Primarchs Chosen Round Two (2500pts) +++

+ HQ (380pts) +

+ Troops (1445pts) +

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (225pts) [9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Marksmen, 2x Plasma Gun]

Legion Veteran Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Combi-weapon, Power Fist]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (225pts) [9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Marksmen, 2x Plasma Gun]

Legion Veteran Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Combi-weapon, Power Fist]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (285pts) [9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Marksmen, 4x Power Weapon, 2x Volkite Charger, 7x Volkite Serpenta]

Legion Veteran Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Lightning Claw, Volkite Serpenta]

+ Elites (440pts) +

Phoenix Terminator Squad (440pts) [8x Phoenix Terminators, Sonic Shriekers]

[Phoenix Champion]

+ Heavy Support (235pts) +

+ Legion +

I think a LOT of people have and do on a regular basis! tongue.png

But yeah - really - it's only the dreads in pods that are stopping you.

The chaplain covers Fulgrim.

Terminators cover their respective transports.

You'd just need some infantry to cover the leviathan/ dreads/ luscius pods etc

I think I have found a list I am happy with that still caters to my EC Terminator in Dreadclaw fetish while also reducing any weaknesses like footslogging/infiltrating Veterans who I think would be too easy to remove. Same premise of the three Terminator squads all in dreadclaws with Fulgrim, but now I have Jetbikes which are a neat unit that I have never used who are also fairly characteristic of the IIIrd and a couple of Javelins, which again I have not used. I am trying to steer away from infantry, even it is Veterans as that is what my SoH revolve around and I would like a totally different Legion playstyle.

+++ EC Fulgrim, Terminators and Jetbikes (2500pts) +++

+ HQ (125pts) +

Legion Centurion (125pts) [Phoenix Spear, Tartaros Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon]

+ Troops (520pts) +

Legion Jetbike Sky Hunter Squadron (260pts) [6x Space Marine Sky Hunters, 2x Volkite Culverin]

Legion Jetbike Sky Hunter Squadron (260pts) [6x Space Marine Sky Hunters, 2x Volkite Culverin]

+ Elites (1110pts) +

Phoenix Terminator Squad (400pts) [7x Phoenix Terminators, Sonic Shriekers]

+ Fast Attack (130pts) +

Legion Javelin Attack Speeder Squadron (130pts)

Legion Javelin Attack Speeder [2x Hunter-killer Missiles]

Legion Javelin Attack Speeder [2x Hunter-killer Missiles]

+ Legion +

+ Lord of War (380pts) +

Fulgrim the Illuminator (380pts) [Fireblade, Primarch]

Master of the Legion [sky Hunter Phalanx]

You really don't need all chainfists on the Cataphracti. That's just a waste of points, unless you are fighting a Warlord or something on the regular :P

I completely disagree.

An extra 20 pts to upgrade the 4 powerfists to chain fists is a very small price to pay for the capability it provides (particularly in an army that lacks heavy anti-tank punch). There's also pay-off in capability as they can still go toe to toe with other terminator/ mechanicum units. The only thing you lose is 20 points.

When you consider that the unit is in cataphractii armour and already has a dreadclaw, an all chain fist unit provides you the capability of destroying a spartan or super heavy tank or potentially a knight on T2 - with the loss of the leviathan this army doesn't have this capability.

It's a small price to pay imo.

Ohhhh DUDE.

Skyhunter Phalanx?!

That is supremely rad and an awesome Rite for the Phoenician's Perfect IIIrd.

Quite a lot of punch and survivability too considering it's only 2500.

Keep those bikes out of combat and the Terminators in combat and you should do supremely well!

I hope when you go to 3000 you add in some of the Heavy Support Jetbikes too with FULL Culverins.

Do you think the two Jetbikes are decent enough with 4 Heavy Bolters and 2 Volkite Culverins? I imagine they will spend their time hunting infantry but would they be better served having Multimelta and melta bombs?

Nah, use their speed to keep at max range and pepper units. Jetbikes are expensive and if close will attract fire. They also suck in assault. The function here is to weaken anything on objectives or that your terminators aren't worth sending to deal with.

I like that idea, and I'm fairly certain this list is legal now too! I might run the Javelins independently but apart from that I am quite happy to get to work on this army.

Thanks for all the feedback over the last week, it is very much appreciated

I like version 3 quite a bit!

Pick Conqueror of Cities for your warlord trait and now those bikes (and everyone else), has move through cover and stealth.

A chaplain with Phoenix spear and power axe is actually really cool, shame he has no real unit to go with but he can quickly join the front lines by turbo boosting.

You could also give your jetbikes infiltrate with Master of Ambush. Or deep strike and outflank everything with a 2+ rerollable reserve roll.

First thing I would add would be outriders with CC gear and plasma or melta guns depending on which combi weapons you end up taking.

Leviathans will be your biggest problem.

Just one small suggestion, if you can find 20pts somewhere it would be good to throw multi meltas on the javelins. Gives you an extra s8 shot, and even though most high av vehicles are going to have AC, lighter vehicles often don't so the melta is useful sometimes. Only thing I can think of dropping is the phoenix spear from the chaplain. Otherwise looks pretty solid. 

I was thinking of using "Master of Ambush" for the Jebikes, but even "Conqueror of Cities" would be good for them, and the rest of the army once they land. I think Battlescribe is missing some unit entry details on the Phoenix Terminators who are 8 strong at 400points, the Chaplain and Fulgrim join these guys in the Kharybdis.

So I dropped the Jetbikes down a member each which gave me points to get the Thunderhammer and Sonic Shrieker for the Chaplain, Multimelta on the Javelins and then more Chainfists on the Cata Terminators...which leaves me with 20 points. Are Javelins better served with the Cyclone Missiles or Lascannon? I would have said Cyclones for their multirole capability but since I am short on ranged AT with this list, maybe Lascannons would be the better choice?

+++ EC Fulgrim, Terminators and Jetbikes (2480pts) +++

++ Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List (Age of Darkness) (2480pts) ++

+ HQ (135pts) +

Legion Centurion (135pts) [sonic Shrieker, Tartaros Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Thunderhammer]

+ Troops (430pts) +

Legion Jetbike Sky Hunter Squadron (215pts) [5x Space Marine Sky Hunters, Volkite Culverin]

Legion Jetbike Sky Hunter Squadron (215pts) [5x Space Marine Sky Hunters, Volkite Culverin]

+ Elites (1150pts) +

Phoenix Terminator Squad (400pts) [8x Phoenix Terminators, Sonic Shriekers]

+ Fast Attack (150pts) +

Legion Javelin Attack Speeder Squadron (150pts)

Legion Javelin Attack Speeder [2x Hunter-killer Missiles, Multi-melta]

Legion Javelin Attack Speeder [2x Hunter-killer Missiles, Multi-melta]

+ Legion +

+ Lord of War (380pts) +

I prefer the missile launchers, I'd just rather have the extra shot. Also since the rest of the javelin's weapons are s8, missiles just go well along with the rest of its armament.

5 chainfists in a squad is probably overkill, the only case where you need that many is if you're dealing with really big super heavies like a baneblade or fellblade. 1-2 per squad is probably good, then you can use the extra pts for plasma blasters in both terminator squads.

Whilst I'm a big fan or running small termie squads with all chain firsts, especially when you lack the means to take on super heavies, 2 squads might be a little overdoing it and would save you some points if you drop the the second squad to all power fists.

^ That's on the opposite side of the bad idea spectrum.  All chainfists is frequently massive overkill and a waste of points (yes, 15-20 points is a LOT).  Going without at least one in a unit is just asking to get trolled by Dreadnoughts.

Thanks for the input guys. On the subject of the Terminator squads, I couldn't find anywhere else to spend the remaining 40 points. I could have put one more Jetbike in one of the units but I have a real problem where I like to see pairs and uniform setups...given that I will be using Lascannon on the Javelins and if I dropped each Term squad to two Chainfists only, how would you spend the remaining 30 points?

Good point Caillum, so I can either:

1) Grenade harness on all 3 Terminator squads,

2) Skyhunters get a Sgt each for the boosted Ld, or

3)

+++ EC Skyphalanx (2500pts) +++

+ HQ (275pts) +

Legion Centurion (130pts) [Phoenix Spear, Sonic Shrieker, Tartaros Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon]

Legion Centurion (145pts) [sonic Shrieker, Tartaros Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Thunderhammer]

May be upgraded to one of these Consul roles: [Primus Medicae]

+ Troops (500pts) +

Legion Jetbike Sky Hunter Squadron (250pts) [6x Space Marine Sky Hunters, Volkite Culverin]

Legion Jetbike Sky Hunter Squadron (250pts) [6x Space Marine Sky Hunters, Volkite Culverin]

+ Elites (720pts) +

Legion Terminator Squad (360pts) [Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod, Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, 2x Chainfist, 4x Combi-Weapon, 4x Legion Terminators, 2x Power Fist]

Phoenix Terminator Squad (360pts) [6x Phoenix Terminators, Sonic Shriekers]

[Phoenix Champion]

+ Fast Attack (390pts) +

Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighter (195pts) [battle Servitor Control, Ground-tracking Auguries, Two Kraken penetrator heavy missiles]

Primaris-Lightning Strike Fighter (195pts) [battle Servitor Control, Ground-tracking Auguries, Two Kraken penetrator heavy missiles]

+ Legion +

+ Lord of War (380pts) +

Although with this one we are moving away from the Terminator heavy theme I was going for initially.

I wouldn't take grenade harnesses on the Legion Terminators, because of their Unwieldy weapons. Also, Claws come with frag assault launchers.

Funny how a list idea can change shape during the refining process! You might find that you look at the finished product in a few days time and realise it's changed TOO much, or might be just right.

Personally, the list you posted yesterday is my fave. I'd try to get the Jetbikes to 6-man, each with 2 volkite (cheaper to buy in 3's & the most optimised loadout). You also have 3 pods in that list, which is good. And having the Chaplain with a thunder hammer means he can smash face in subsequent rounds better than the Phoenix Terminators. You can save a handful of points by taking a couple of power axes on the Legion Terminators (they sit closer to the enemy) and dropping a Phoenix Terminator.

Something like this:

HQ

Chaplain in Terminator armour: Crozius Arcanum (sword); Terminator armour (Tartaros); combi-bolter; thunder hammer; sonic shrieker 145

TROOPS

6 Jetbike Sky Hunters: 2 × volkite culverin 260

6 Jetbike Sky Hunters: 2 × volkite culverin 260

ELITES

5 Terminators: Terminator Sergeant (combi-weapon; power fist); 4 Terminators; Terminator armour (Cataphractii); 4 × combi-weapon; 1 × power weapon; 1 x power fist; 2 × chainfist 240

Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod xxx

5 Terminators: Terminator Sergeant (combi-weapon; power fist); 4 Terminators; Terminator armour (Cataphractii); 4 × combi-weapon; 1 × power weapon; 1 x power fist; 2 × chainfist 240

Anvillus Pattern Dreadclaw Drop Pod xxx

7 Phoenix Terminators: Phoenix Champion; 6 Phoenix Terminators; sonic shriekers 360

FAST ATTACK

Javelin Attack Speeder Squadron

Javelin Attack Speeder: pintle-mounted multi-melta; 2 × hunter-killer missiles 75

Javelin Attack Speeder Squadron

Javelin Attack Speeder: pintle-mounted multi-melta; 2 × hunter-killer missiles 75

HEAVY SUPPORT

Kharybdis Assault Claw xxx

LORDS OF WAR

Fulgrim the Illuminator: Rite of War (Sky Hunter Phalanx); Fireblade xxx

2,500 points

However you run it is going to work fine, but this way you have a bunch of Terminators, a bunch of Jetbikes, 2 Javelins, 3 pods & a Primarch, and using Sky Hunter Phalanx has no drawbacks. Made of win! :)

Believe it or not, this final revision is a lot better in terms of use and theme then the list I started with. Small tweaks here and there from playtesting and it will be great!

Archived