A Skjald's Tale of the Days of Darkness

Jackalwolf

Let me tell you about my time with the people of Fenris. Let me tell you of when the Galaxy was burning around mankind and doubt and deceit found true grip in the hearts of even the most righteous men.

It was in these days, the days of darkness, that I discovered the true meaning of fear, of hope and, above all, of valour.

These were lessons taught to me by strange people -Vlka, as they refer to themselves- who would sell foreigners an image of barbarity and laughter but could not hide from their own hearts, try as they might, the melancholy that weighted in all of their souls. For if you must know only one thing about them, is that they love humanity. They love it so much, that they are ready to shed away their own and embrace the beast fate has them marked to be in order to save all of us. For do not fool yourself, every son of Fenris is marked to die the day he is born, and there are fates worse than death they will have to walk through before earning that final rest.

But don't stand quite so far. The fire is still warm and the mead abundant. Come, sit down besides me and let me tell you about the sons of Fenris, let me tell you about the Vlka Fenryka...

An unknown Skjald

Tutorials

Grey Painting Recipe:

1. Prime black

2. Apply a counter-zenithal basecoat of Vallejo German Grey

3. 'Sketch' where the highlights will be with Administratum Grey

4. Apply a basecoat of Mechanicum Standard Grey Air leaving the Vallejo German Grey in the recesses and don't obscure the sketeched highlights

5. Apply a 45° layer of Dawnstone Air

6. Re-Apply final highlights with Administratum Grey or do a very zenithal fine spray

7. Wash the model to give definition and tone down the highlights to blend them with all the armor with the following mixture: 4 ml Agrax Earthshade, 4 ml Nuln Oil, 12 ml Water

8. Glaze with Druchi Violet wash mixed with glaze medium the areas of shade*

9. Glaze with Blue wash mixed with glaze medium the deepest shadows*

10. Edge highlight with Administratum Grey

* These two steps are to add richness to the palette of the armor, so I generally tend to reserve them for characters since they're quite time consuming.

Bronze Painting Recipe:

1. Basecoat with several thin layers of Balthasar Gold

2. Generous filter of Agrax Earthshade (you can repeat this step another time for a more worn look)

4. Wash the recesses with Agrax Earthshade + Nuln Oil (1:1)

5. Edge highlight with Sycorax Bronze

6. Pin wash the recesses edges and rivets with diluted Nikilah Oxide to give a verdigris effect

Bronze Painting Recipe (2):

1. Basecoat with Castellax Bronze

2. Wash with Agrax Earthshade

3. Layer of Balthasar Gold

4. Wash with Reikland Fleshshade

5. Edge highlight of Fulgurite Copper

6. Glaze with purple the deepest shadows

7. Extreme edge highlight of Sycorax Bronze

8. Pin wash the recesses and rivets with diluted Nikilah Oxide to give a verdigris effect

The Wolf Brothers

The wolf brothers, they called themselves. And truly they were kin, united beyond blood, their threads bound by the weight of destiny and pulled by the indomitable will of their leader, Bulveye. They followed him in life and with him they stepped beyond it, forever to fight besides the Great Wolf in this new adventure he had had no choice upon.

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah128/Grieux/Vlka%20Fenryka/26992FEE-A620-4B49-B20C-173F82A63F54_zps2acjvetv.jpg

Busts of the Wolf Brothers sculpted by an unknown rememberancer during the early years of the Great Crusade. From top left to bottom right: Kauko, Leif, Arne Bale-eye, Knut, Torstein, Erik, Lord Bulveye, Floki, Rollo, Tostig

Jarl Bulveye

Bulveye was the first to step forth when the Allfather declared he would take the Wolf King to his Saga beyond the Sky. Behind him the thegns followed and behind them the dregn. Following his unyielding courage, they stood together the trials of the Allfather, and a score of them remained alive when those were over.

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah128/Grieux/Vlka%20Fenryka/Bulveye_zps4gltohyr.jpg

Pict capture of Lord Bulveye during the compliance of Kernunnos before the 954th expeditionary fleet was recalled to assist in the sanction of Prospero

Leman Russ

Leman of the Russ; the Wolf King, Lord of Winter and War, Breaker of Shields, Bringer of Ruin. Little is known of his past other than the words recorded by Gnauril the Elder. What was faithfully recorded is that he was granted a place in Fenris by king Thengir after being found in a Thunderwolves lair, his adoptive mother slain by the spears of his new tribe.

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah128/Grieux/Vlka%20Fenryka/Russ_zpsl4u47sbs.jpg

Pict capture of Russ striking forth during the infamous battle for Tizca

The Wolf-Kin of Russ

He always had two wolves by his side. Old tales of lost lands of Terra speak of Regulus and Reinus, two brothers raised by a wolf who would rise an Empire to conquer all Europa. Had Freki and Geri been part of the tale too, most likely the whole Terra would have yielded to them. Such was their ferocity and loyalty.

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah128/Grieux/Vlka%20Fenryka/Seer_zps9aqszxaa.jpg

Freki and Geri, guardians and brothers to the Lord of Winter and War

Floki

Floki was wild in a land of beasts, unassuming but proud, temperate yet passionate, a poet and a brute and, above all else, unambiguous and sibylline. His gaze was easy to meet, his smile hard to gauge. Ever-present, behind the amused smirk of his lips and his blackened eyes one could only understand in a primal way the raw power of his soul, and cower before it. Many times that soul was unleashed, and with it the wrath of Fenris itself came, making the shrunken hearts of his enemies freeze within their chests.

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah128/Grieux/Vlka%20Fenryka/Floki_zpszilv0euw.jpg

Floki the Rune Caster, calling forth the Storm of Fenris to smite the enemies of the Rout

Woden

No-one ever stared into his eyes, for it was said that once the void of his now empty eyesocket set upon another man's, his soul would receive judgement and rise to Valhalla or fall into the depths of Hel.

The records of his ascension into one of the Astartes are long lost, the first sagas of him in the Fang telling only how he taught the newly created Astartes the ways of the healer and the priest, leading the Speakers of the Dead in their selection of the native Fenrisians deserving of ascending to join the sons of Russ.

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah128/Grieux/Vlka%20Fenryka/Seer_zps9aqszxaa.jpg

Woden, Choser of the Slain

Ivar the Boneless

Ivar's body was born broken, but through might and will he rose to become a great warrior by his own right. His mind keen, he devised with Floki a chariot from which he slew countless goes.

When called to serve besides Russ, his one and only request was to avoid replacing his wretched legs, choosing to create an armour that would envolve his weak limbs as a reminder of who he was and how far he rose above his own destiny.

Ivar, Priest of Iron

The Seer

The man known only as The Seer was old when the first records of his appearance were taken, some say more than a millennia ago.

How a man without the gift of the Astartes geneseed ascended to the heavens when the Allfather came and took part in the Great Crusade amongst the Sons of Fenris is yet another mystery, one that escapes the knowledge of the Wolf King himself and yet might be only kept by the Allfather himself, or mayhaps his closest confident the Sigillite.

The only certainty is that he was the advisor of Thengir, then of Bulveye and later of Russ, his whispers behind the Jarl's throne the only constant throughout the centuries and the ever changing seasons of Fenris.

Now he can be found in the bowels of the Hrfrankel, steering and guarding it's journey through the Immaterium.

The Seer, Helmsman of the Hrfrankel

The wolf brothers, they called themselves. And truly they were kin, united beyond blood, their threads bound by the weight of destiny and pulled by the indomitable will of their leader, Bulveye.

They followed him in life and with him they stepped beyond it, forever to fight besides the Great Wolf in this new adventure he had had no choice upon.

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah128/Grieux/Vlka%20Fenryka/26992FEE-A620-4B49-B20C-173F82A63F54_zps2acjvetv.jpg

From top left to bottom right: Kauko, Leif, Arne, Knut, Torstein, Erik, Bulveye, Floki, Rollo, Tostig

Early iterations of the Seer and Floki the Rune Priest. Would definitely appreciate suggestions for his left hand with which he's summoning storms and for the right hand where he will hold a rusty axe or a wolf staff:

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah128/Grieux/Vlka%20Fenryka/08D9A725-FB2A-4FFB-8B61-44F215A6B262_zpss0ndiffg.jpg

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah128/Grieux/Vlka%20Fenryka/8CB19B84-C42F-48DB-BC2D-D3549B4BC2D4_zpssfm1dazs.jpg

So almost done remodeling my Russ:

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah128/Grieux/Vlka%20Fenryka/AE4C37D6-2EE2-4799-9F93-5F23D0C48EFD_zpssgko8aui.jpg

And a much more advanced version of Floki my Rune Priest:

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah128/Grieux/Vlka%20Fenryka/E66753EE-9030-480A-8B3A-7FAE6B008CFC_zpsxaytoj3m.jpg

I need to decide if to trim Russ' beard a bit more when all is fully cured and if I keep that cape for Floki.

Finally, Staff or Rune Axe?

I agree with Marshal, staff would work better with that pose.

Also, I know where those names come from sneaky sneaky one, and I'm surprised how accurate those heads look for their namesakes

I'm thinking staff because of the more sedentary position.

Am loving the green stuff, will be cool to see all completed.

Haha thanks! I loved that series and really thought there was a strong parallel between Ragnar, the one who dared to dream beyond what other men thought possible, from season one and Bulveye and the Wolf Brothers, who dared follow Russ into becoming Astartes despite being well into their mid thirties and going against the Emperor's advice.

I can't wait to get home today and assemble Floki, all the greenstuff work is done now but needed to curate before assembly. I finally used an axe since I had an amazing looking axe from the limited edition cataphractii librarian and I couldn't find any staff bits in ebay, but might just buy Njal Stormcaller to use him as a body parts donor if I don't like the end result.

Help!

I finished assembling Geigor with my custom Bulveye head but I felt the body was too small, even when compared to normal mkiii so did a quick kitbash and...

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah128/Grieux/Vlka%20Fenryka/E3B2D650-3669-4D9A-8A6A-28CA08534B8A_zpst9i5rxia.jpg

I like much more the proportion but feel really bad of not using such a beautiful sculpt:

- Do you guys feel he looks better than the regular bop Praetor

- Does he have the right balance of wolfiness

- If I go forward with him, any suggestions for the loin cloth of my rune priest?

Impressed with your sculpting skills man. Have messed around with sculpting facial hair, but never to the effect that you've managed here.

The prateor is fantastic. Geigor's a great model, but Forgeworld's detailing, especially when it comes to faces is so much sharper that you've definitely made an improvement on the version included in the base set.

Thank you so much mate! I've decided on going forward and will try to use Geigor's legs for some further conversions. Will also change his knife in hand for an axe since he already has a sheathed knife!

On sculpting beard and hair, I've found that the trick is to play with the timings of the green stuff curating:

1- Start like a pretty even blue to yellow proportion with a bit more blue to make the base, then do roughly the shape (volume) that the beard will have

2- 30 to 60 mins after, use the normal sculpting tool to blend better the edges to the skin so it looks like a smooth transition and carve the hair lines that will be driving the flow of the hair

3. 2 hours after start, use a fresh exacto blade and press it lightly against the beard to make in secondary hairlines without distorting the main hair flow and, most importantly, the main volume shape

4. 3 to 4 hours after you began you'll have a chance of doing the last changes and it'll be easier since you'll have a good base volume, and all flow and hairlines sculpted, but the greenstuff will be curated enough so you cannot mess it too much.

The new body does look pretty awesome, just a few bits that stick out at me.

First is obviously the WE emblem on his knee. Second is that his left pauldron doesn't look like it covers enough of his torso armour from the current angle of the pic. If that's true from other angles, perhaps a wolf pelt around his neck could fill the space.

Thanks gentlemen, any thoughts on this alternate version? I think it does improve on the flow. Would need to integrate better the pelt with green stuff and still need to change the knee pads.

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah128/Grieux/Vlka%20Fenryka/5857E1FD-5D39-4F26-BDEA-CFAB029AD052_zpsdg6einwe.jpg

I think I'll keep this version so I'll have complete done my Praetor and rune priest in the upcoming days!

The green stuff is curing and this night I'll have finished versions of both Bulveye and the Rune Priest. If anyone has any thoughts on which effect he could be summoning from the sky with his open palm, please suggest away! I might wait until book VII is released though and check which psychic powers the VIth gets to replicate some of them.

Also, already finished the Seer. He ended up looking a lot like Malcador with wolf bling though!

Current Army Plans since I like to work in batches to alternate building with painting:

Batch one:

- Leman Russ 

- Bulveye (Praetor)

- Rune Priest

- 8 wolf brothers with the bare heads inspired in Vikings

Batch two:

- 22x tacticals to form 2 15 man squads (hope FW has released the heads for the VIth already, otherwise I'll have to take an executive decission on which legion specific helmets I rip off)

- Mastodon (unless GW releases a plastic Thunderhawk!)

- Contemptor or Leviathan (The contemptor if FW have released the SW Contemptor by then and a blinged Leviathan if not)

- Freki and Geri

Batch three will need to be purchased then in February after they release the book and we understand which legion units and formations we'll get, but after batch one I should be able to have a kill team, by batch two a Zone Mortalis force, and batch three should complete a small points army. All I need to buy for batch 2 is the dreadnought (which I'll postpone as much as I can to give FW time) and the Mastodon which will be my auto present for birthday in December.

Thanks! I have only seen until season three so Bjorn is too young yet to look that manly!

Heads are:

- Kauko from the Terminator pack shaved so I can do tribal tattoos

- Leif from the scout pack grafted onto a normal power armor neck and he'll be my vox operator

- Arne is a mix from terminator pack bottom half and upper half from the legion mkiv command set

- The rest are all from the GH, Terminator or Thunderwolves pack with hair restyling except:

- Bulveye (Ragnar) who is Loken's head shaved, greenstuffed and braided

- Rollo who is based on Abaddon with the hair of a space wolf for the crazy flow and the greenstuff work.

You will see in season 2 an definitely seasons 3. He earns the moniker Ironside when fighing in Wessex I believe.

You should definitely get around to the other seasons asap ;)

Thanks guys!

Really happy to have finished the conversions for my army leaders as well as Leman Russ, now time to finish the 8 wolf brothers and prime & paint:

Jarl Bulveye

Floki the caller of the Storm

The Seer

P.S.: Just noticed I didn't finish off cleaning the backpack of Floki! That will be corrected but next images will be after paint.

I'm strongly considering cutting out the trophy rack from Bulveye's backpack to make him more gritty. Thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived