A Skjald's Tale of the Days of Darkness

Jackalwolf

Lmao you're totally right, That's my iPhone lol. I need to buy a foldio light box but cameras are quite expensive and I went for the Mastodon instead lol.

Maybe I need to convince the wife or a daughter to pick up photography as a hobby so I can "gift" them a camera...

And finally finished with the main body of Russ. Next I'll paint the head to start feeling the model is close to completion.

I'm really trying to establish a very clear focal point for the light since model seems designed to have light hitting it from right and above.

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah128/Grieux/Vlka%20Fenryka/C80C7882-7114-4BD8-9C6D-23486100E111_zpssb0l3sjk.jpg

Thanks man,

I think it'd depend on how far you wanna go with it:

Step A - Cut off the sword head and pommel and stick the shield on the knuckles, 2/10

Step B - Trim the part of the shield that attaches to the backpack (it's like a circular prong like the one that sticks to backpacks in normal marines, just flat), 2/10

Step C - Fashion some straps to represent the shield being held to his vambrace with greenstuff, 5/10

Zinge industries does some amazing flexible resin strips that represent leather straps and slings so you could use that for step C and make it a 2/10. I bought some and they're top notch for this kind of stuff.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you guys. Christmas is typically a period where I take hobby holidays to come reenergised since I tend to head back home to Spain to enjoy family time and it's a bit hard to pack my hobby room.

But back we are and happy I am to advance with Russ:

http://i1379.photobucket.com/albums/ah128/Grieux/Vlka%20Fenryka/827EB31A-D680-471F-8A58-0A4BB5F9DDD0_zpsiff4axqi.jpg

The second arm is almost done but my work will kidnap me in Scotland from Sunday to Friday so might not be able to finish before then. Can't wait to finish since next in line is the Mastodon!

Holy hell, that face is so lifelike 

Russ is looking great, I reckon the best I have seen.

What colours did you use for the hair?

Oh and welcome to Bonny Scotland... Do try the haggis :wink:

Thank you so much guys!

@dantay, the hair recipe is one I tried out for the first time and kind of changing a bit ad hoc depending on how I saw it but if I don't recall incorrectly it was something like:

Basecoat: Mournfang Brown

Shade: Agrax Earthshade

Diluted layer picking all of the hairs the eye can see one by one: I did a pretty strange mixture on the fly of Mournfang Brown, Flayed One Flesh with a touch of Averland Sunset to give life to the colour. It actually pretty much amounted to XV-88 though, so I'd use it as a proxy if I did it again.

Layer in every individual hair that light will be hitting on with XV-88 or the crazy mix

Then from that base colour, start adding Flayed One Flesh and doing progressive highlights on the more prominent hair strands and closer to the end or where you want a reflection to be represented (I think I did three or four layers highlighting every hair)

Then just a dab of diluted Flayed One Flesh on the very tip of every highlighted hair strand and in the centre of the points of reflection

At this stage it will look a bit pale and lifeless, so a wash of Seraphim Sepia will give it a vibrant warm tonality

Also, if you're anywhere near Inverness can you suggest any good hobby places?

I'm using the second bronze recipe:

Bronze Painting Recipe (2):

1. Basecoat with Castellax Bronze

2. Wash with Agrax Earthshade

3. Layer of Balthasar Gold

4. Wash with Reikland Fleshshade

5. Edge highlight of Fulgurite Copper

6. Glaze with purple the deepest shadows

7. Extreme edge highlight of Sycorax Bronze

8. Pin wash the recesses and rivets with diluted Nikilah Oxide to give a verdigris effect

• 2 weeks later...

I keep looking at my Russ, then looking at yours, and back to mine. I think I made mine wrong. sword on mine is too vertical for a start...

PS I missed the message about Inverness. I am not from up that way, but if I had been, I am sue we could have gotten a pint or a game.

How did you enjoy the frozen north?

Painting is mindblowing, the details look tiny even with images enlarged, how did you do the tattoos by brush or art pen?

Thanks mate! I actually painted them with a 000 brush from W&N. Very diluted paint so it's translucent and build up several times each line. That way it looks more realistic and you can wipe off with your finger any lines you don't like before it dries.

I keep looking at my Russ, then looking at yours, and back to mine. I think I made mine wrong. sword on mine is too vertical for a start...

PS I missed the message about Inverness. I am not from up that way, but if I had been, I am sue we could have gotten a pint or a game.

How did you enjoy the frozen north?

I think this model does have space for diferent posings! The north was quite cool, I did manage to catch some snow which was excellent. And along it a cold which wasn't that great. But all in all great times!

Dammmmmn dude. Your stuff is a level beyond awesome. :biggrin.:

Thank you so much! I just take ages to convert/paint each model!

And on that note, I'm about to do the last push to finish off Russ so I can start my Mastodon!

Haha thanks. Already finished the second arm and I should have the backpack done today, so that will have him playable since the cape and shield will be optional depending on how I like the end result.

Also, updated the first post with fluff for the army :)

Took a break from painting Russ to model Hvarl. Was waiting for the characters to model my version of Rollo the bear and he is perfect as a character base.

It still needs green stuff to make all the pieces mesh together seamlessly and the grenade launcher but I'm quite happy with the pose, sort of just finished firing his bolter and just detected a new threat, and the balance of pieces too, not too wolfy buy wolfy enough and with the "muscled" chestplate like Russ and my Praetor.

Thanks everyone for the input!

My current Praetor for comparison:

Haha thanks Dantay and yes, you´re totally right.

I wanted him to look brutal and gigantic despite being in Tartaros, and the Ltd Praetor seems like one of the biggest sculpts in Tartaros. The torso I was between Abaddons or Asterion Moloc but Abaddon is much bigger fitting better the scale and the brutality.

Archived