3D Printed Terrain - Zone Mortalis

Col.hertford

I was lucky enought to buy a 3D printer eariler this year, with the intention to print wargaming terrian. I will track this project here to try and keep my project log focused to traditional painting and modelling. My three targets are:

1) Zone Mortalis - not just the board, but the exterior of a space ship (think gun turrets and docking bays!). Maybe even multi level stuff.

2) shipping crates - more like the Forgeworld crates, than the GW crates.

3) Anaphelion Base - enough said.

4) Highrise terrian - think city fight meets necromunda

My current tool of choice is sketch up, however, I'm looking to learn other programmes (sorry apps for the yoofs) out there to do curves.

Here is the first bits, still very much WIP

blogger-image-1697795208.jpg

Thoughts and opinions?

The long hobby war contiunes...

Looks interesting in the creation. You thought about something like Lightwave or Maya? Though I'm not sure that those programs support 3d printing (mind you I have been out the game a very long time). But there is also cost involved, I don't know if they are still the "here take my spleen and first born as payment" monsters they used to be years ago.

Looks interesting in the creation. You thought about something like Lightwave or Maya? Though I'm not sure that those programs support 3d printing (mind you I have been out the game a very long time). But there is also cost involved, I don't know if they are still the "here take my spleen and first born as payment" monsters they used to be years ago.

Thank you brother, I've not heard lightwave so I will check it out. Maya is a paid software? I've been tryin to stick to free while I learn the skills. I've played with blender and Autocad 123 a bit. But at the moment it's really just a proof of concept. I have a Prusa I3mk2 for printing, and while the initial out lay is quite a lot, the filament cost is quit low. Too get the high detail, super quick machines, you still need to sell the first born ;)

You get 30day trial versions of Lightwave and of Maya - ultimately they are paid for platforms but I don't know if they are one shot deals or on the new subscription platform like Adobe has done

I like the sub model. Coreldraw have been doing it for a while, and that softwares great if you have a laser cutter handy. Solidworks or Rhino is the best form my research and talking to cosplay designers. A few use Maya too. Like anything the tools are better for different applications.

You can get pretty good definition using Sketchup, here's my prototype crate:

In digital

blogger-image--1285909129.jpg

And printed

blogger-image--1199909357.jpg

Damn, that looks pretty good. How's the surface texture like?

Well it has the usual straitions but it is no where as bad as they used to be. If I could print in ABS (which i won't in the house) I could smooth with painted on acetone. Ethyl Acetate works the same, but not so well, for the pla I use. Once I have a dedicated workspace, I may try it.

Damn, that looks pretty good. How's the surface texture like?

Well it has the usual straitions but it is no where as bad as they used to be. If I could print in ABS (which i won't in the house) I could smooth with painted on acetone. Ethyl Acetate works the same, but not so well, for the pla I use. Once I have a dedicated workspace, I may try it.

Liquid greenstuff? That may help smooth out the thin gaps.

How much was your machine, if you dont mind me asking Colonel?

@dosjetka: you been on the amesac again?

Smooth-on have a product for dealing with the layering in lower resolution 3D printing, XTC-3D resin. You paint it on and it self-levels and smooths out so there are no brush marks once it cures. After that you can sand and refine it as you see fit. My only worry would be how much it might mute detail on something of this scale. I'm assuming careful application in sections could avoid or minimize that, however. Note, I've never actually used it, so I can't say first hand what results to expect. But Smooth-on make great products that I trust, if that counts for anything.

Look great, but I'm curious what the costs will be like printing full Zone Mortalis tiles? The FW ones might be pricey, but my memories of looking at 3D printed terrain was that it wasn't that much more economical.

Can't wait to see some more creations though, love me some Zone Mortalis!

@ Andvarr A, it was from here http://www.prusa3d.com/ I did buy it pre Brexit so it was cheaper back then.

@ subtle discord, cheers for the heads up. I've heard good things about smooth on.

@ Magos Kasen, the big cost of 3D printing is the printer itself. I estimate a £17 spool will do around two one foot tiles. The big challenge is building he model to the strengths of the medium.

@ Mechanist, will check it out.

here's a few close ups of print examples. The floor tiles were printed as part of my initial calibrations, so the edges aren't representative of the printer capability.

blogger-image--136478002.jpg

blogger-image-1607672571.jpg

blogger-image-1767816522.jpg

Internet points for anyone who guesses the orange item!

Do you have the original tiles? Because from that size comparison, it looks like yours are larger (and not as high) than the FW ones. That said it also looks far less warped lol thumbsup.gif

Hidden Content

med_gallery_79873_10492_164655.jpg

med_gallery_79873_10492_160442.jpg

Or maybe I'm just too tired atm haha. Anyways looks awesome !

@ Atia, yeah, the base depth is lame, it was printed purely to get a feel for the printer. The base is only 5mm deep. The new ones will be 12mm which is the average height I've seen quoted.

The current height of the walls is 50mm so are a little shorter than the official tiles and will get a rework.

The floor tiles are 50 x 50 mm. They should be the same size as the FW ones based on the measurements I've seen on line, it may be the lack of the grates on two sides causing an optical illusion.

I've ordered a single tile, and a set of small doors to assist me on this project, I want this to be good.

Oh, first post on B&C on my computer! only 509 post to get here!

So this post is to show the printed MKIII deck plate. I've had a few ideas to make the board more interesting.

blogger-image--1699713887.jpg

blogger-image-1127088847.jpg

blogger-image-373642749.jpg

That was so much easier than an iPad...ph34r.png

So Atia sent me a few rough sketches of a room she wants to create, so I though I've do a bit of a mock up.  This is a navigators chamber.  She has a model all picked out for the female navigator,

blogger-image-95939477.jpg

blogger-image-582041029.jpg

The panel at the end of the room is a view into the warp.  For Atia to demonstrate her mad painting skills.  The channel will be water or some other liquid. 

Note this is very rough.  For this room to really pop, I need to learn better software as sketchup doesn't do circles well.

Holy moly that is freaking awesome!!!!!!!

Why thank you :)

Can't wait to see it done...jammy woman that Atia

Well if people want the stl.files when finished, I could upload to my mini factory or thingiverse?

I have been playing with arches, and some of sketch ups other lovely features.

blogger-image-142982388.jpg

I think Sketchup will be good enough for this project.

Looks like you're doing just fine with Sketchup, often times enough sticking with what you know will provide the best results. Something to consider, to take your modelling to the next level a license for Maya and/or Mudbox would be well worth the investment if you plan to increase the complexity, Mudbox in particular is great for creating surface texture. However you will always have to consider the limitations of the printer, will smaller details and texture translate to the print itself? 

Your idea for a Zone Mortalis Ship Exterior is solid gold. I can't wait to see where you go with it. 

Archived