Spray base for painting yellow?

Cessna

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good smooth spray paint base or primer I can use to paint yellow over?

I've tried Army Painter Daemonic Yellow - maybe I didn't shake it enough (2-3 minutes) but it was a bit clumpy.

I'm open to ideas, and thanks in advance!

Ive always primed black when painting yellow soooo...

But White/Light Grey is probably your best option if you cant find an actual yellow spray or primer.

Halfords is one if the better brands to shoot for.

I would lose my mind.

Some people have the skill to pull that off. I am not one of them. I can probably get good results if I start from a yellow (or close) and work up, but starting from black? Yikes.

I use army painter and have never had any issues. You may need to shake more, or it may just be a bad can.

I also start with mournfang brown, then use army painter desert as a mid-tone, then use daemonic yellow as my last highlight. Does the shading for me, and the yellow will be nowhere near as thick.

I would lose my mind.

Some people have the skill to pull that off. I am not one of them. I can probably get good results if I start from a yellow (or close) and work up, but starting from black? Yikes.

I do like my Yellow Darker and with a slightly more orange tone however. Never takes me more than 4 coats of paint to get to the color I want, however.

Examples:

I would lose my mind.

I think the OP (like the other 98% of ustongue.png ) doesn't want black based recipes...

perhaps try GW's zandri dust spray over a white spray undercoat its a lighter brown so will probably take the Averland yellow layers much better than Black and still give you a warmer yellow (which the Black base coat disciples swear is why they do it that way laugh.png)

good luck whichever way you go msn-wink.gif

Mithril

stynylrez from badger has a neutral Yellow Primer its for airbrushes but it can be painted on. they also have it in black, gray, white, olive green and red brown (thinking of this for my BA). I have used them for a little bit and love the results so far. A 2 oz bottle on amazon is less than $10 U.S. but used in a airbrush that 2 oz could probably could prime a army.

Hey!

Just started using the Daemonic Yellow Spray - I would agree with earlier comments of try another can.  Mine has worked perfectly - did some reading around and people have had the same issue that have been carrying it out in either quite humid or very cold conditions. The other problem was from people spraying too far away and the paint starting to dry in the air (don't quote me on that one though).  

Best of luck finding a solution though; certainly has helped speed up my painting.

• 2 weeks later...

Just been told by the guy in my local GW to hold off painting my Imperial Fists for a few weeks as they are finally releasing an Averland Sunset spray...

This has made me a happy man

Averland spray, eh? Planning on an IF-colored Vindi in addition to some infantry, so need to start figuring out the way I'm gonna be painting yellow things. In retrospect not so happy with how my Lysander is (the only IF I've painted so far).

stynylrez from badger has a neutral Yellow Primer its for airbrushes but it can be painted on. they also have it in black, gray, white, olive green and red brown (thinking of this for my BA). I have used them for a little bit and love the results so far. A 2 oz bottle on amazon is less than $10 U.S. but used in a airbrush that 2 oz could probably could prime a army.

I can give a hearty second to the Stynylrez neutral yellow! It has significantly decreased my painting time. That's a good thing because I'm slow as a snail.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good smooth spray paint base or primer I can use to paint yellow over?

I've tried Army Painter Daemonic Yellow - maybe I didn't shake it enough (2-3 minutes) but it was a bit clumpy.

I'm open to ideas, and thanks in advance!

I've found that army painter daemonic yellow will get clumpy if there is a lot of moisture in the air (hot or cold) or if the spray itself is cold. I always store mine in the house as opposed to my shed now. Since then I've had no issues.

Also GW is coming out with an averland sunset spray and I've never had issues with GW's sprays.

Yeah, I'm guessing the new Averland Sunset spray should do the job. I too have had some trouble with Army Painter sprays, but GW's sprays tend to be much easier to work with plus they're a lot better for doing a relatively thin undercoat.

Just PRIME the mini before using that spray. It's just paint.

Frankly I've not seen much difference to speak of in terms of "primer" or just ye olde regular spray. On metal, perhaps, there even actual primers seem to fail constantly, but resin, or even more so plastic? Not so much.

Finally found a good (gray) primer at least in terms of evening out surface swirls and suchlike (those have always been my archenemy). Sadly it seems airbrushing Golden/Yriel Yellow directly on top of it gives a bit of a weird yellow, not like how it is on my Lysander. May have to do an Averland layer in between after all I guess. I hate having to do many layers.

Finally found a good (gray) primer at least in terms of evening out surface swirls and suchlike (those have always been my archenemy). Sadly it seems airbrushing Golden/Yriel Yellow directly on top of it gives a bit of a weird yellow, not like how it is on my Lysander. May have to do an Averland layer in between after all I guess. I hate having to do many layers.

*cough* 50/50 mix P3 Hearthfire and Cygnus yellow over white p3 undercoat.

That would require buying those paints, they're not really readily available here tongue.png And white is eeeeviiilllll. The gray, however, looks so good that I feel bad painting anything over it! Hah.

Frankly I've not seen much difference to speak of in terms of "primer" or just ye olde regular spray. On metal, perhaps, there even actual primers seem to fail constantly, but resin, or even more so plastic? Not so much.

Uh. No.

Sigh, probably should've just gotten the yellow spray after all. It would've likely been "close enough" to the shade of yellow I want (while these Averland and Golden yellows appear too brownish when airbrushed anyway). As compared to this darned airbrush being more or less clogged when used with anything thicker than water. Took me well over half an hour just to paint the front panel, barrel, mantle and one side extra plate of a Vindicator with the airbrush. With a spray that would've been all of a minute.

Archived