Spray base for painting yellow?

Cessna

Sigh, probably should've just gotten the yellow spray after all. It would've likely been "close enough" to the shade of yellow I want (while these Averland and Golden yellows appear too brownish when airbrushed anyway). As compared to this darned airbrush being more or less clogged when used with anything thicker than water. Took me well over half an hour just to paint the front panel, barrel, mantle and one side extra plate of a Vindicator with the airbrush. With a spray that would've been all of a minute.

Dilute 2:1 with Vallejo Flow Improver, Brother. I airbrush Averland and all other Citadel range (Base or Layer) through a 0,2mm nozzle. No issues. Way better, way more control and no toxic spray.

I bought the Averland Air version specifically for this purpose, but even it clogs the airbrush rather quick. I found a way to clean it a bit better though, so I managed to basecoat the entire Vindicator now. Today gotta fix a few spots yet, and then try the Golden Yellow layer on the Averland and hope it looks something like it does on Lysander... wacko.png

You can also try Casandora Yellow after the Golden / Yriel highlight.

The Air paints, whether from GW or Vallejo, still require dilution. Less, and have more pigment in a more diluted medium, but still. Honestly, Brother, buy the Flow Improver from Vallejo. Not Airbrush Thinner. Flow Improver.

Yeah I've been using the Vallejo Thinner Medium now (including on the Averland Air)... I've spent way too much of it already :P Looks like the FLGS doesn't have Flow Improver in stock either. 2 week wait time according to their website unsure.png

The Vindicator just got its Golden Yellow coat, will probably still need some touchups. Gonna examine closer once it dries fully.

After a second full pass of Golden Yellow I think it's now the way I want it. But as mentioned before it's getting pricey compared to spray - I think I've used about 2/3 of the GY pot just for this one Vindicator, and I haven't even done the siege shield. I guess I gotta spare the rest for that purpose in case Yriel Yellow ends up notably different in shade (anyone got experience with a comparison of the two?). I also think it looks pretty good like this without a need for any highlighting.

I wonder what other vehicles I might do in IF colors rather than CF. Maybe one of the Land Raiders so there'd be one CF and one IF. Too bad I already painted both of the dreads as CF :P

PS. Sorry for kinda hijacking the topic. For clarification and a reply of sorts to the OP is it seems my scheme for vehicles is gray primer (is my case the brand Maston, but unlikely to be available outside of Finland - shame, the new cans I got seem awesome), followed by Averland Sunset, and finished with Golden/Yriel Yellow. I can put up a picture in a little while after it dries again, if anyone's interested.

The white might indeed remove the need for Averland as an inbetween... but frankly - and sadly - so far none of the white sprays I've tried have been usable, instead being utterly terrible :(

Yeah, I'm guessing the new Averland Sunset spray should do the job. I too have had some trouble with Army Painter sprays, but GW's sprays tend to be much easier to work with plus they're a lot better for doing a relatively thin undercoat.

Just PRIME the mini before using that spray. It's just paint.

The primer/paint distinction might be real but it's really not a problem in any way, shape or form IME.

Yeah, I'm guessing the new Averland Sunset spray should do the job. I too have had some trouble with Army Painter sprays, but GW's sprays tend to be much easier to work with plus they're a lot better for doing a relatively thin undercoat.

Just PRIME the mini before using that spray. It's just paint.

The primer/paint distinction might be real but it's really not a problem in any way, shape or form IME.

It's like saying "my paint won't adhere to the mini and will flake off at any provocation, but it's really not a problem in any way, shape or form IME". The primers are there to specifically deal with a real problem, a situation that requires a PRIMER not paint. Paint goes on primer. Primer goes on model. If there was no need for primer, you can just as well brush paint straight on plastic / resin / metal, to the same effect.

Do what you will, your funeral.  I reserve my right to an "I told you so" further down the road.

Like I said before - I've only had flaking problems with metal. Now, mind you, I wouldn't brush on normal paints on even a plastic/resin model, but on those two I've found that pretty much a spray is a spray in terms of adherence, primer or otherwise. On metal models on the other hand even most primers don't work that great. Even if there's no flaking, the paint rubs off extremely easily while working on the model prior to varnishing it.

90% or more of my Templars are undercoated/"primed" with non-primer black, and there's definitely no plastic/resin showing up from underneath on any of them even after four years of hauling them around loose in unpadded boxes.

It's like saying "my paint won't adhere to the mini and will flake off at any provocation, but it's really not a problem in any way, shape or form IME". The primers are there to specifically deal with a real problem, a situation that requires a PRIMER not paint. Paint goes on primer. Primer goes on model. If there was no need for primer, you can just as well brush paint straight on plastic / resin / metal, to the same effect.

Do what you will, your funeral.  I reserve my right to an "I told you so" further down the road.

No. It's like saying "IME my paint adheres just fine and doesn't flake off at all, whether I use a primer or a paint spray" - because that's my experience.

I'm totally aware of the whole primer/paint thing and how the different things are supposed to work. It's just that I don't really see any difference in practice between the models where I've used primer and the models where I've used regular spray paint (and, like Tvih, I don't experience any problems even with considerable wear and tear - and I don't even tend to varnish my models).

So yeah. What I will say is that even if the spray cans are just regular paints, they seem to adhere to the models a lot better than regular paint sprayed on with an airbrush (or applied with a brush). When I want to give a black/white/grey basecoat with my airbrush I always use primer, because, like you said that's how it works.

Personally, I suspect that the sprays aren't just regular paint and/or that something happens when you spray from a can to make the paint adhere to the models - and that's probably where our seeming disagreement lies; the sprays just don't seem all that "regular", despite not officially being primer paint.

The aerosol, the "carrier" fluid for the paint in a spray can is a bit corrosive. Which means it will "bite" into the model a tad, hence that feels like better than just paint. But it won't hold there and doesn't envelop the model when drying like an acrylic-polyurethane primer does, goes on nowhere close to as smooth as the old Chaos Black Primer used to, not to even mention airbrushed VSP.

• 2 weeks later...
Try yellow ink mixed with 2% black ink and 50% water. You can also make use of an ink pallet mixing multiple hues and colors. Alot of the color is going to pop once you add the ink. It will help you identify shading points on your models. Don't be afraid to dump a model in simple green. Avoid brown rust colored ink.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I am in a similar situation about to start painting some imperial fist and I just want to know what the best idea is, I am just using spray cans and citadel paints if that helps

So my plans is as follows:

1 Prime model with white spray corax white

2 base model with averland sunset base

3 layer with yriel yellow

4 highlight the yellow with screaming skull

Any advice is greatly appreciated :)

- Brother Zonkey

1 Prime model with white spray corax white

2 base model with averland sunset base

Why not just spray it with Averland Sunset spray? It replaces those two steps, and saves time and expense.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've just started IF and i tried to prime with Valejo grey primer , but saldy it was "grainy" (i'm not sure about this one)... Do i need to water it down a bit more ? Or it was about my airbrush ?

I was wondering if GW white and averland sunset would do the trick before highlighting with an airbrush

Archived