Raven Guard: Legion Recon Company 3000 list

Malax

Hey guys, new here and thought I'd post a list I'm currently in the process of collecting, been developing the list continuously over time, removing units and adding others and I think I'm getting near or already have it finished to the best it can be.

It's supposed to be either in the Shadow Wars with Corax or on Istavann V. It uses a few mech units in the list, yet the Raven Guard still had access and used these, yet it's based pretty much entirely on stealth and outflanking tactics like the Raven Guard constantly used.

HQ (355pts)

Damocles Command Rhino (100pts)

Legion Centurion - Vigilator (110pts)

[Jump Pack, Melta Bombs, Recon Armour]

Legion Praetor (145pts)

[Artificer Armour, Jump Pack, Paragon Blade]

Troops (410pts)

Legion Reconnaissance Squad (160pts)

[Cameleoline, 4x Legion Space Marines, Melta Bombs, Nuncio Vox]

Legion Tactical Squad (125pts)

[9x Legion Tactical Space Marines]

Legion Tactical Squad (125pts)

[9x Legion Tactical Space Marines]

Elites (505pts)

Apothecarion Detachment (60pts)

[Legion Apothecary, Jump Pack]

Legion Rapier Weapons Battery (225pts)

[x3 Graviton Cannon]

Mor Deythan Strike Squad (220pts)

[5x Combi-flamers, 4x Mor Deythan]

[Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, Multi-melta]

[Mor Deythan Shade, Artificer Armour]

Fast Attack (645pts)

Dark Fury Assault Squad (325pts)

[9x Dark Fury]

Legion Seeker Squad (320pts)

[5x Combi-Plasma, 7x Legion Seeker Space Marine]

[Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier, Multi-melta]

[Legion Strike Leader, Infravisor, Power Armour]

Heavy Support (635pts)

Legion Fire Raptor Gunship (230pts)

[Four Hellstrike Missiles, Reaper Autocannon Battery]

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought Talon (405pts)

[Grav-flux Bombard, Legion Dreadnought Drop Pod, Phospex Discharger]

Lord of War (450pts)

Corvus Corax (450pts)

The list mains around a beta-strike more than the usual alpha strike that most Raven Guard armies seem to take, recon company giving most of my army on the table a 2/3+ cover save first turn for a very good resilience until the Fire Raptor comes on, along with the seekers and mor deythan outflank with Corax's acute senses to deal some nasty damage to back lining nasty units. Once after Corax by himself and the little nasty blob of vigilator, praetor and dark fury can mop up the rest.

Thoughts? Anyway I could improve or things you'd like to discuss?

I think you lack anti tank/ super heavy options.

I'd switch the leviathan to a melta lance and siege drill so that you can take down knights/ spartans and super heavies.

I assume everything is infiltrating and that the command rhino is just for the fireraptor?

If so I think it's an expensive upgrade for just one unit. I'd delete it and use the points to add upgrades to your praetor (digit lasers, iron halo, power fist) and ratifier armour to the 2 x tac sgts.

Or more important armoured ceramite on the leviathan!

The grav cannons are haywire so that's an easy 3 hull points off anything, melta bombs and corax himself is also the rest of my anti-tank, along with the lance bombard from the damocles and the two multi-meltas on the rhinos. 

Taking the grav-flux for destroying termies turn 1 when the levy comes down as I can't really fight them in CC with most of my guys because if they don't die before they can hit back my units will be squished.

The command rhino is also for the seekers and mor deythan, who will be outflanking with Corax's acute senses.

some people will say 3, some people will 1, doesnt really matter as long as your not going to a tournament and then just ask the TO, some people claim to have emails from FW stating what is the correct terminology/intent and I got a reply on FW facebook page saying one seems correct, but they are not rules guys! lol

if you play at a local club, or same few opponents discuss it with them, tell them the pros and cons

When all the to-ing and fro-ing is done, remember this: it's hard to justify calling it a Recon Company with only 1 squad of Recon Marines.

Agreed. I think if you need to argue that hard to justify your list you've got the intent of the rules wrong.

But all the units get the benefit in the army, and they are clearly not recon marines, I think people forcing you to take 3 is just as bad.. Who knows who is right, I'd just go with the fluff that says all tacticals are trained to operate as recon marines and vice versa (see heresy books) and imho recon company just removes support squad rule from them. It's not a biggy if you want to field 1-3 no normal people will care.. Just roll some dice and play with what toys you want.

This^

TL;DR It makes Recon Squads themselves compulsory, as opposed to the normal compulsory troops slot. Tacs, breachers, and AMs are not themselves compulsory but the slots they occupy normally are.

I would load up 3 recon squads with melta bombs for tank hunting. 5 with 5MBs are 125

Didn't realize Vigilators could take a pack and scout armor, I had to double check that. Wasn't that not the case in the last red book? It's a bit weird to have scout armor and a pack but hey, MtC on Furies I suppose.

The list looks pretty good. It'll come down to what you're facing. You have enough to stop a spartan and kill the contents by turn two. That's a standard tactic I measure RG lists against.

Is this a Take All Comers list? Does your local place have a 30k meta?

But all the units get the benefit in the army, and they are clearly not recon marines, I think people forcing you to take 3 is just as bad.. Who knows who is right, I'd just go with the fluff that says all tacticals are trained to operate as recon marines and vice versa (see heresy books) and imho recon company just removes support squad rule from them. It's not a biggy if you want to field 1-3 no normal people will care.. Just roll some dice and play with what toys you want.

People who can read the rules and FW open Q&A know who is right. You can always play unbound if you want, but you can't have that attitude at a convention or event.

Also you gotta pay 20 points for the fire Raptor gun upgrade or RAW you only get one auto cannon.

Sitting on it and I've agreed that it needs 3 recon squads, so I'll be looking into creating a alpha-strike based Decapitation Strike list. I do like the idea of combi-plas seekers coming down in a drop pod.

Archived