Sisters of Silence Tactica

norngahl

I think the Custodes tactica thread has a link to full rules for the Talons of the Emperor list.

The Kharon does look like a great transport, especially against Thousands Sons.  Those two psyk-out missiles per tank will be good for forcing Perils test, which could force numerous army wide pinning tests a turn.  Psyk-out grenades could force a few more.

I think the Custodes tactica thread has a link to full rules for the Talons of the Emperor list.

The Kharon does look like a great transport, especially against Thousands Sons.  Those two psyk-out missiles per tank will be good for forcing Perils test, which could force numerous army wide pinning tests a turn.  Psyk-out grenades could force a few more.

What are your thoughts on Seekers w/ GLs? Frag and Krak are nice and Psky-out are gravy for when you face 1K Sons. 

As allies intended solely for psyker killing they're super. In a main detachment the heavy support slots might be better utulized by custodes units.

EDIT: Another option is go run the excrutiatus cadre with stake crossbows as your hq. 5 sisters max, but they get 10 psi-shock shots for a 100 points within 12", compared to 185 for the seekers.

Edited by TompiQ

TompiQ is right, if you want an allied squad that solely exists to kill psykers, the Seeker Cadre is amazing, especially since they only have to hit the squad, but they don't fit great into a Talons list unless you want a dedicated psychic Primarch killing squad.  And TompiQ is right that the Excruciatus Cadre all equipped with Stake Crossbows is probably better both in a Talons list and as an allied anti-psyker detachment.  I hadn't thought of them mainly because I was fixated on using the Excruciatus Cadre to reproduce some of the old Visions of Heresy artwork where they have flamers and a power fist.  In a Talons list, they allow you to take three (more) Sisters cadres as an HQ choice (presumably a Shield Captain/Tribune or Oblivion Knight-Centura will be Warlord) and don't use up the valuable Heavy Support slot.  As a small anti-psyker detachment, this would probably work wonders:

HQ

Excruciatus Cadre, with five Stake Crossbows in a Kharon Pattern Acquisitor - 225

Troops

10 strong Vigilator Cadre in a Kharon Pattern Acquisitor - 270

Total: 495

This list would give you 14 psi-shock shots a turn assuming everything is alive and in rapid fire range, which would be easy to get into if you give them Infiltrate as their Cadre tactic.  The Vigilator Cadre would also give you a small amount of punch if you need to finish off a Brotherhood of Psykers or some small squad.  The Excruciatus Cadre would also give you a small squad rapid firing at strength five, which isn't terrible if you have to shoot at marines (though don't expect much aside from the psi-shock).

When are the Seeker Cadres better?  When you want more bodies and range and when you're shooting Magnus (the -1 to hit won't effect their blast weapons as much, or maybe at all).  Though, that's just my impression since the list just came out and I've yet to play it.

Edit:

Another small anti-psyker allied detachment

HQ

Excruciatus Cadre, with five Stake Crossbows in a Kharon Pattern Acquisitor - 225

Troops

5 strong Prosecutor Cadre - 65

Heavy Support

10 strong Seeker Cadre with grenade launchers - 185

Total: 475

I would take Infiltrate again and outflank the Seeker Cadre so that they can show up after you have time to blow psykers and Brotherhoods out of their transports, otherwise they'll just be sitting out in the open.  And you can't give them a transport without substantially decreasing your psi-shock potential, since the Excruciatus Cadre can only be a compulsory HQ if the detachment is under 500 pts

Edited by Ficinus

I'd go for black as the black ships (or Black Ships? It's their name after all).

Should look cool and scary.

I was going to do Aluminum or Chrome basecoat, then blue/purple/brown inks for tonal variety and likely in somewhat swirled patterns, and then hit it with Tamiya Smoke.

I figure that will give it the strange look that they describe in the fluff. :D

Hmmmm.

Like this?

https://youtu.be/9rSVC6e3vvU

I like that.

DANDANDANDANDANDAN

FLASH!

AAAAHAAAAAAA,

YOU ARE INCREDIBLE!

:)

I love the old movie and that's why I'll copy your idea good Sir.

Edited by Gorgoff

I'd go for black as the black ships (or Black Ships? It's their name after all).

Should look cool and scary.

I was going to do Aluminum or Chrome basecoat, then blue/purple/brown inks for tonal variety and likely in somewhat swirled patterns, and then hit it with Tamiya Smoke.

I figure that will give it the strange look that they describe in the fluff. :biggrin.:

Hmmmm.

Like this?

https://youtu.be/9rSVC6e3vvU

I like that.

DANDANDANDANDANDAN

FLASH!

AAAAHAAAAAAA,

YOU ARE INCREDIBLE!

:smile.:

I love the old movie and that's why I'll copy your idea good Sir.

Nope, not quite. That would be the base coat. Then I would swirl it with blue/purple/brown inks (likely going from bottom to top) and then once that dried, go over the whole thing with Tamiya Smoke. That is essentially the format used to get the red shiny armor used by FW, but instead of Tamiya Clear Red, I am going for Smoke. It should work. I would need to test it out first to see if the effect works, but if all goes well, the bright undercoat with the swirls with the dark clear coat should look suitably strange.

Yeah, I don't think I'd ever make a list with a ten woman Seeker Cadre, much less with grenade launchers, because it would only be useful against Thousand Sons, Lorgar, and Daemons, and it would make most games un-fun.  I might make up two or three squads of them anyway for Apoc level games: then I wouldn't feel as bad about killing Magnus first turn. EDIT: Actually, after reading the insane levels of magic shenanigans going on in the Thousand Sons Tactica thread, maybe taking one unit of ten against them wouldn't be so unfair... the only question would be whether hitting a unit with eight psi-shock attacks would require every unit in the army to take eight pinning tests (because eight perils were rolled), that might be a bit much.

Hitting a Thousand sons psyker unit with 8 Psy-shock rounds would force 8 Perils tests on a single unit. The Thousand Sons "Signs and Portents" rule states that if a Unit suffers  wounds to Perils, then each unit in the army needs to take a pinning test.

I'm pretty sure this means that the Thousand son's player would only take 1 pinning test for each unit that suffers a wound to perils, not 1 pinning test for wound that unit suffers. 

++++

As for list tailoring, I think it's probably good strategy to tuck in a small allied detachment of SoS in any list if you might be fighting Thousand Sons, but I don't think I'd ever agree to play against someone who knows I'm Running Thousand sons and shows up to a game with a heavily SoS army. I don't think that game would be fun for anyone. 

I gonna make a nice little allied detachment of Sisters and I was thinking how to make that.

Vigilators in an Flash Gordon taxi plus one Oblivion Knight Centura will be my way to go. My question is if the Proteus neuro-lash is a decent CCW.

I mean it looks very tempting against big blobs of enemies, but I wonder if it is a good idea to charge big units with the very fragile ladies in the first place?

Please Report afterwarts, broth... sister. :smile.:

Edit: What color is Tamiya Smoke? Is it like Nuln Oil?

It is almost black / very dark grey. Most uses are like for aircraft models when doing oil stains/streaks, etc. The metallic underneath should shine through and though it dries glossy, I would be applying decals most likely, so I would possibly hit it with a satin or matte finish, unless the shine looked good. I need the model in hand before I can make a real judgement. 

Yeah, I don't think I'd ever make a list with a ten woman Seeker Cadre, much less with grenade launchers, because it would only be useful against Thousand Sons, Lorgar, and Daemons, and it would make most games un-fun.  I might make up two or three squads of them anyway for Apoc level games: then I wouldn't feel as bad about killing Magnus first turn. EDIT: Actually, after reading the insane levels of magic shenanigans going on in the Thousand Sons Tactica thread, maybe taking one unit of ten against them wouldn't be so unfair... the only question would be whether hitting a unit with eight psi-shock attacks would require every unit in the army to take eight pinning tests (because eight perils were rolled), that might be a bit much.

Hitting a Thousand sons psyker unit with 8 Psy-shock rounds would force 8 Perils tests on a single unit. The Thousand Sons "Signs and Portents" rule states that if a Unit suffers  wounds to Perils, then each unit in the army needs to take a pinning test.

I'm pretty sure this means that the Thousand son's player would only take 1 pinning test for each unit that suffers a wound to perils, not 1 pinning test for wound that unit suffers. 

++++

As for list tailoring, I think it's probably good strategy to tuck in a small allied detachment of SoS in any list if you might be fighting Thousand Sons, but I don't think I'd ever agree to play against someone who knows I'm Running Thousand sons and shows up to a game with a heavily SoS army. I don't think that game would be fun for anyone. 

It cuts both ways though doesn't. Before TS came out at most you would see 4+2d6 warp charges per turn, with 6 powers. Now we are seening TS lists with on average 9+2d6, with 16 powers. I don't think I would play a pick up game against someone who DIDN'T tell me they were playing TS.

Edited by Baluc

++++

It cuts both ways though doesn't. Before TS came out at most you would see 4+2d6 warp charges per turn, with 6 powers. Now we are seening TS lists with on average 9+2d6, with 16 powers. I don't think I would play a pick up game against someone who DIDN'T tell me they were playing TS.

It is funny how people still talk about not playing pick up games against X in the age of the Internet. Most problems about power level discussions include thinking people will only play totally random games without having a single word exchanged before starting the game.

You can easily arrange a game which you both like if you discuss about it.

Being a niche game in a field of niche hobby means you'll require some effort to arrange a game and if you can agree on pts level you should be able to agree upon everything else.

For this words full of wisdom I am forced to raise my glass and yell 'Hear, Hear!' good sir.

It's all about communication. Talk to your opponent. If you always play against random people then make them your play buddies.

Talk.

Exchange phone numbers and play on a regular bases with each other and you'll notice two things.

First the quality of your games will improve and second you may make new friends. ;)

So how can I effectively field these girls to neutralise Magnus shenanigans without my army becoming 50% Sisters of Silence? Lol

So I need 10 girls and a Tank... Hmmm

I probably messed up building and painting my BoP girls with swords...

Edited by Ishagu

So how can I effectively field these girls to neutralise Magnus shenanigans without my army becoming 50% Sisters of Silence? Lol

So I need 10 girls and a Tank... Hmmm

I probably messed up building and painting my BoP girls with swords...

HQ: Excrutiator Cadre with flamers in an Aquisitor

Troops: Prosecutor in an Aquisitor.

That's it.

48" no-buff zone.

I would say an Excruciatus Cadre with Stake-Crossbows (as Baluc mentions), a minimum Prosecutor (bolter) Cadre, and a Seeker Cadre maxed out with grenade launchers would be an ideal anti-Magnus task force for 350 points.  You can even fit in an Acquisitor for either the Excruciatus Cadre or Seeker Cadre (since they'll be the ones killing Magnus).  They won't really help protect your army, they only provide a 12" bubble that lets you re-roll deny the witch and if a psyker is with 12" of them, they have -1 to tests to harness warp charges.  That's pretty much it.  But they also debuff your units leadership if they're in range to let your units re-roll deny the witch rolls.

They're really ideal for hunting/killing witches, not protecting your units.  You need to get Magnus outside of his transport and then bombard him with the 20/22 psi-shock attacks to just kill him through forcing him to take wounds from perils tests (4 out of 6 cause wounds with no saves of any kind available).  That said, if he's in a squad with Brotherhood of Psykers, he'll be protected a bit from the psi-shock, since the psyker to suffer perils is random (and the whole squad is psykers).  So, you need to get Magnus out of a transport, kill his psychic buddies, and then bombard him with psi-shock (or psi-shock the squad and then him depending on how many psychic wounds he has hanging out in the squad with him).

Thousand Sons players will probably complain about a Magnus assassination force like this, though.

Edited by Ficinus

O a slightly related note, has anyone considered using a navigator as anti TS/psykers?

The free snap shots against DS (looking at you Sekhmet), the lidless stare, and the other one that causes perils to be taken on 3d6 pick the highest seem all useful.

They should have had the Psychic Abomination rule from 40k.

As it stands I now need a significant allied contingency in order to have bases covered.

Basically, if you come across a psychic focused Magnus list you're going to lose without psychic prevention which is hard to attain in the setting.