[HH1.0] Legio Custodes Tactica

Charlo

Well we have rules now soooo....

Hidden Content

14716055_1244782182209042_19541374968671

14716097_1244782168875710_48226844483871

14690992_1244782158875711_27725841634120

Take a Shield Squad as "HQ" and a Spear Squad as troops for your allied detachment.

Outside of some infiltrate from warlord traits shenanigans unsure how to get them up the board though, as they cannot ride in friendly transports!

Edited by Charlo

*grumbles as he has to edit the pinned post sooner than expected*

Anyways, the main things I find interesting is:

They have an innate Invulnerable that the 40k Version doesn't have and their Spears bolter is Assault 2 letting  them shoot and charge. Bummer that they aren't always S+1 Ap2 but thats manageable.

Next would be the Lightning Blows rule on their spears meaning that, on the charge if RNGesus is on your side, a Custodian can get up to 6 Attacks. Neat.

The Sword Option having Rending and a Re-rollable 4++ does make it more interesting a choice since they aren't totally screwed when up against 2+ saves.

Preternatural Skill means that in the majority of their combats, they'll be I5.

Edited by Slipstreams

I don't know if the lack of regular AP2 is going to end up being that big a deal for them. Pretty high odds they'll have a hover-tank assault transport. Only time will tell whether that's a hover-Rhino equivalent, a hover-Land Raider equivalent, or both. Scary to think of units of these with the Guardian Spears charging out of AV14 grav-tanks... But only the best for the Emperor's Finest, right?

As-is, definitely going to build some as the shield bros. They'll be great for ZM until the full Talons of the Emperor list hits.

Edited by LetsYouDown

Oh yeah, some of their options will be crazy. I wouldn't be surprised to see some resin upgrade sets that work with the plastic set to make new unit options unique to the Heresy. It's the Legio Custodes in their heyday.

Their Cataphractii Terminators in the art have insane two-handed eagle flamers. What kind of beastly flamer weapon requires a Terminator of the Legio Custodes to wield it?? Are they waltzing around with freaking Flamestorm Cannons? It's gonna be wild.

We're also almost guaranteed to see jetbikers, who'll probably arrive with T6. 

Probably not a bad idea for Astartes players to all make sure they have at least one Plasma support squad by February :P

Oh lord give me Cataphracti Custodes with Flamestorm.

I quite enjoy the shield guys being a pure balwark again most anything. Especially if there is a way give them them FNP (though I'd argue they should have had it to begin with...)

Only 25% of AP2 wounds are making it through that save. So you could take ten wounds and only lose one Custode(s). And actually causing ten wounds is going to take a lot of attacks at high weapon skill and I. In combat especially as S10 and higher is VERY rare they will be tanking wounds for days.

I do however find it VERY strange the bolter wasn't a paragon bolter, seeing as the fluff for that would make you assume. Very happy it's assault and not stupidly rapid fire like in 40k for benign and lazy reasons stemming from problems with a different book....

2A is low, as is I4. But I think these are there to balance other units that will be coming in the army list. Terminators may have 3A or a similar unit.

I quite enjoy the shield guys being a pure balwark again most anything. Especially if there is a way give them them FNP (though I'd argue they should have had it to begin with...)

Only 25% of AP2 wounds are making it through that save. So you could take ten wounds and only lose one Custode(s). And actually causing ten wounds is going to take a lot of attacks at high weapon skill and I. In combat especially as S10 and higher is VERY rare they will be tanking wounds for days.

I do however find it VERY strange the bolter wasn't a paragon bolter, seeing as the fluff for that would make you assume. Very happy it's assault and not stupidly rapid fire like in 40k for benign and lazy reasons stemming from problems with a different book....

2A is low, as is I4. But I think these are there to balance other units that will be coming in the army list. Terminators may have 3A or a similar unit.

And this is why FW has spent months to years playtesting custodes.  With all their stat and wargear buffs they don't need a lot of attacks, really just avoid combat with a large block of terminators if you can, i am sure the full custodes list will have plenty of options for low AP.  After all the custodes would be terrible bodyguards if they had no way to deal with something like a dreadnought.

They're also capable of being buffed by themselves & allies, which is something I'm surprised to see. I expected some kind of "Breed Apart" rule akin to Moritats/Destroyers to reflect how independent they are.

2A is fine for your basic troops when you also have 2+/5++ and that statline. And they're basically I5 all the time anyway, so not too worried on that front. Is there even anything in 30k that has average WS6 aside from single character models? I can't even think of anything that buffs units to WS6 (like Hol Beloth, who can only buff things to WS5 with his Trait).

And while their bolters seem weak, remember that this is a point when Storm Bolters haven't been invented yet. Assault bolters are still a "big deal!" The only other things 40k gets right vs 30k are storm shields, teleportation, and figuring out how to make an assault cannon that doesn't jam. Otherwise it's mostly all regression.

I'm glad they've landed where they are from a balancing perspective. They are very strong, but not ridiculous. Similarly, they are very expensive, but not prohibitively so. They have the Caladius Grav-Tank coming, so hopefully the 'Talon of the Emperor' list also includes an Assault Transport.

Thinking about their Lightning Blows rule... imagine adding a Chaplain to the squad! Re-roll's To Hit equals more 6's!

Edit: Slips, should this thread be combined with the Sisters one to make a proper 'Talon of the Emperor' Tactica thread?

Edited by Caillum

I'm glad they've landed where they are from a balancing perspective. They are very strong, but not ridiculous. Similarly, they are very expensive, but not prohibitively so. They have the Caladius Grav-Tank coming, so hopefully the 'Talon of the Emperor' list also includes an Assault Transport.

Thinking about their Lightning Blows rule... imagine adding a Chaplain to the squad! Re-roll's To Hit equals more 6's!

Edit: Slips, should this thread be combined with the Sisters one to make a proper 'Talon of the Emperor' Tactica thread?

Do we know if SoS are in the same army as Custodes yet?

Do we know if SoS are in the same army as Custodes yet?

http://turbobocce.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/yes.jpg

Yeah, confirmed by Penddraig from h30k and I want to say a few others who have talked to FW staff at recent events. It'll all be one "Talons of the Emperor" list, that includes Custodes (the majority of the list) and Sisters of Silence. We'll see though! They could have made some last-minute changes. As Slips said, we'll see.

Because of the nature of the list, there could always be special rules exceptions for playing units from the list as allies or something. I wouldn't be surprised to see the ability to run a troops choice as an "HQ" unit stick, or something like that. Don't take my word for it though. Just educated guesses.

Sword looks like the stronger build, to be honest. Rerollable 4++ is ignoring 75% of wounds, and rending helps maintain AP2 output. Permanent AP2 with those stats would make them even more obnoxious than Suzerain, so a large part of me is glad the spears aren't ball breaking.

Interesting that they can't mix weapons in squads.

Without a transport or HQ force multipliers, there is little to discuss tactically, but we are planning a Siege of Terra planetary assault scenario, so the targets will come to them (sadly I'm playing the targets :().

i'm hoping for a Jump unit to keep sanguinius company when he comes out

i'm hoping for a Jump unit to keep sanguinius company when he comes out

how about some sanguinary guard instead:wink: ?

I hope that Sanguinius can really fly.

He will be a FMC for sure, but interestingly enough I can't recall a single instance in the books where he uses a ranged weapon. I guess you could vector strike stuff?

So Vector Strike, can only be Snap Shot at, and can go into Ongoing Reserves? Sounds a lot like a Primarch we already have :tongue.:

Edited by SkimaskMohawk