[HH1.0] Legio Custodes Tactica

Charlo

The strategy was more hypothetical then anything else. A product of a brainstorming session on a hypothetical strategy to defeat a competitive custodes list on a different thread. Varied solutions were proposed, Plasma spam+ augury scanners was a popular choice, but the thread devolved into complaining about the tank-tribune. ( To be fair anything short of a primarch, Anacharis Scoria or a D weapon is going to be unable to do anything to him)

Well the god of dice is hard to please so nothing is solid really. Also, Custodes still have problems to send their muscles into CQC for lacking dependable Assault Vehicles.

I must say, after a game yesterday I have learnt several things:

1. Knights are a pain without dedicated anti-armour at range (I was limited to a single Sentinel squad of 3 with Solarite Gauntlets which just failed because I can't roll 3's) but luckily there was only one to deal with
  2. Sisters (Oblivion Knights in particular) in CC with Magnus and a Sehkmet squad are hilarious and stop a lot of psychic powers being cast
  3. Culexus assassins are great with them (We have a house rule which lets people take Assassins from 40k in 30k because the force exists in the fluff just no 30k rules)

Custodes are the most enjoyable army I've played in a while I must say though! :) 

Okay so my campaign is coming up and I need to play at least one game of 1K Points Zone Mortalis in April

I'll have about 15 mixed Spear/ Shield Custodians, 5 Saggitarum and 15 Sister models to work with. I don't want to be too harsh with a Dread just yet...!

I'm looking at this list:

• Oblivion Knight Centura - Master Crafted Execution Blade
  • 3 Spear Guard
  • 3 Shield Guard - One Gauntlet
  • 5 Bolter Sisters - Nuncio Vox
  • 7 Sword Sisters
  • 5 Saggitarum - Teleport Transponders

Basic idea is that four decent scoring units, even in low numbers will help me out. Saggitarum are there just to teleport in and straight up murder any armour or tough doods that show up, or bolt down some militia with deployment. Sisters will probably go infiltrate and have the Centura at the front for preferred enemy fun.

Initial idea saw me including Jenetia Krole for the scout and mid-tier crotch-kicker combat character but I decided to save the 80 odd points and just grab a normal Oblivion Knight.

I've not built anything yet but I will be soon.

If I was against a Legion? Certainly!

My first match is against Militia in the draw (and not the rending levvy kind I think...) so has been dubbed the "mismatch" of the campaign :P

Why i've gone for some Sisters too (that and they rock)

If I was against a Legion? Certainly!

My first match is against Militia in the draw (and not the rending levvy kind I think...) so has been dubbed the "mismatch" of the campaign :P

Why i've gone for some Sisters too (that and they rock)

Oh....oh god....nevermind. I wouldn't do that to the poor soul either.

What are people's opinions of using Custodes with the ability to take a War Machine Detachment as a Lord of War choice? Looking through the books it seems every army using an Age of Darkness detachment gets access to it (Including Mech and S.A) and our local gaming group has house ruled that I can take one of them. 

It seems like it's doable but obviously Book 7 gives us the Psi-Titan (Ewww never gonna use because I want friends) but that's it, and Age of Darkness is a wierd mistress I have discovered upon reading the Big Red Book recently.

Seems perfectly fine to me.

Worst case you have to take two Knights as an allied detachment.

Awesome! It's always good to check with other people doing the same army, purely because Book 7 has so many issues with it (Typos, things missing, etc...) it's very plausible they forgot that you have access to the generic Lords of War choices :) 

I got a game in on Wednesday, I got battered by my friend's Legion list with allied Knight. He had that new Knight which puts out 4 s10 large blasts a turn, it is such a hard counter to custodes.

He cant use it; its not in the crusade imperialis questoris knight list.

Wait on the potential faq

Worst case you have to take two Knights as an allied detachment

Worst case he can't, as talons are missing both faction and a spot on the ally matrix

I got a game in on Wednesday, I got battered by my friend's Legion list with allied Knight. He had that new Knight which puts out 4 s10 large blasts a turn, it is such a hard counter to custodes.

He cant use it; its not in the crusade imperialis questoris knight list.

Wait on the potential faq

Worst case you have to take two Knights as an allied detachment

Worst case he can't, as talons are missing both faction and a spot on the ally matrix

Having a spot on the ally matrix has no impact on what you can and can't take as an allied detachment (I have the HH Age of Darkness book open in front of me) unless there has been an FAQ from Forgeworld stating otherwise. It just means you cannot cast psychic abilities on them, and would technically have to do the one-eye-open shenanigans at the worst if you wanted to roll it that way.

Sadly though that thinking also has overlooked the fact that it is possible to run Traitor Custodes. Rules as Intended and Rules as Written are very different things and Forgeworld hopefully will FAQ the numerous issues and errors in Book 7, including the Ally Matrix issue, Lords of War access and what not.

Okay .... after lengthy considerations ... Sagittarum are quite obviously way to expensive for what they do and will never earn their points back.

Plus, they're non-scoring since they're heavy support.

But the models are absolutely ace.

Someone figured out a use for them yet or how to make them viable ?

I just don't understand why they didn't make the other firing mode Lastrum Bolt Cannons. Or even like a rapid fire version of the terminator weapon. With it being heavy it's just so hamstrung. S6 would have at least given then a great use against light vehicles at range.

They look incredible though, and I'm buying a squad. They're great at killing artillery and make a solid infiltration unit.