[HH1.0] Legio Custodes Tactica

Charlo

The Orion is a really nice kit, I picked one up at the open day and it's the first time i have actually wanted to paint the interior detail as well. Usually i just glue the doors shut on vehicles.

Going to post some full data and analysis in my WIP thread later, but a couple of thoughts and tactical insight from the Throne of Skulls weekend. Most are obvious but nice to see it in practice:

• Don't ever fight Valdor in combat with anything. Even with your own Hetaeron Guard. He's terrifying.
  • Las-Pulsar jetbikes are good. So good that most people took 6 (I was tame with 3). They are incredible for killing medium tanks and terminators at 36" away without retaliation.
  • Deep Striking a 3 man guardian spear troops choice into the backfield is ace. It's "Cheap" and they can absorb a lot of small arms/ anything not AP2, then mulch pretty much anything there and claim objectives etc. Run them to spread out on the drop.
  • Telemon is perfect with one fist and one gun. Obscene dakka and 4 WS6 I5 S10 AP2 Shred attacks even when charged means it will whittle down the most elite units. Doesn't really care about pens (usually just shaken) but things like Shatter Shells will just glance you to death endlessly, even with a 4++
  • Transport is very hardy and good for just keeping dudes safe. 4HP is tasty.
  • The Heavy Blaze Cannon... Don't bother. The multi-shot mode is nice and lets it savage up to 7 marines a turn, ignoring FNP even but that solid shot is just sooooo unreliable. I think I managed 2 glancing HP all weekend - if that! YMMV of course with luck but even AV13 is a gamble, especially if it has any kind of save.

• The Heavy Blaze Cannon... Don't bother. The multi-shot mode is nice and lets it savage up to 7 marines a turn, ignoring FNP even but that solid shot is just sooooo unreliable. I think I managed 2 glancing HP all weekend - if that! YMMV of course with luck but even AV13 is a gamble, especially if it has any kind of save.

7 marines? It's Heavy 4? Were you referencing the Caladius or Telemon's version of the blaze cannon here? The latter shouldn't ignore FNP as it's only S7

Edited by LetsYouDown

7 marines? It's Heavy 4?

Sorry I meant in addition to the TL Lastrum on the front too!

The Telemon will kill 7 with it's version though ;)

• 1 month later...

Well here we go...!

If you want to get a squad of Hetaron, Tribune and a Spear Dread into prime position to rip out the enemy a new :censored:  then I present to you, the

ORION ASSAULT DROPSHIP

It's finally here!

Rules:

Lord of War

BS5 F13 S12 R11 HP7

2 Heavy Blaze Cannon
2 Twin Linked Lastrum Bolt Cannons
2 Spicuulus Heavy Bolt Launchers
Extra Armour
Armoured Ceramite
Armoured Cockpit

Assault Vehicle
Grav-Backwash
Deep Strike

1 Access Hatch at the rear

24 Model Capacity (so 12 Custodes)
Can carry one of the Contemptor dreads as 10 spaces

Then the new rules...

MACRO ARAE-SHRIKE
Same as the small ones but also only lets enemy units fire interceptor at the Orion on a 4+

ECLIPSE SHIELD
Flare shield, but if you suffer a glancing or penetrating hit then you immediately gain shrouded for the rest of the phase from attacks against the front arc

Spiculus Heavy Bolt Launcher
48" S7 AP4 Heavy 3, Rending

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Custodes-Gunship-2017

605 Points gets you something a pretty hardy and very shooty super-heavy flyer that has 24 Capacity (12 Custodes or 6 Custodes + 1 Contemptor) that gets harder to kill the more you shoot at it unless you have Ignores Cover.

Its also the only Assault Vehicle the Custodes has access to as of this moment whilst also being their only "In-Army" LoW selection.

To me, yeah, pretty worth it especially when compared to a Thunderhawk though you do lose out on the D Shot and the One-Use Missiles.

The only real drawback with it is 7th edition being what it is with regards to flyers of all types.

• 1 month later...

I've become pretty convinced by the dbl Stormcannon on the Telemon. Being able to cut a cult horde in half in one shooting phase is clutch power.

I'm leaning with you there, the firepower is shockingly awesome.

Only issue is getting tied up on melee - against anything infantry the Telemon will do well with S10 & Shred but against other Dreads (like Leviathans) it's a big, long, drawn out fight.

Yeah I'm planning on bubble wrapping him with some allied Auxilla, I take them mostly to bulk up my scoring units, but they serve a secondary roll here. 

Speaking on allied auxilla, what are peoples favourite allied units?

I'm leaning towards:

Auxilla Levy

Auxilla Fire Teams

Leman Russ Annihilators (up to 4 lascannon shots is nothing to scoff at)

I wish Auxilla could take Primaris-Lightning fighters, but I guess you can't get everything.

Yeah I'm planning on bubble wrapping him with some allied Auxilla, I take them mostly to bulk up my scoring units, but they serve a secondary roll here. 

I'm leaning towards:

Auxilla Levy

Auxilla Fire Teams

I wish Auxilla could take Primaris-Lightning fighters, but I guess you can't get everything.

Yes, but you can take Arvus Lighters, which are nearly as good.

/Sarcasm.

I'm leaning towards:

Auxilla Levy

Auxilla Fire Teams

TotE can't be and can't take allies.

Technically you are correct. But it isn't played that way anywhere I've heard of.

Sure, we do that as well, but the TotE players do know that it is pure courtesy from our part and should be very cautious when it comes to allies.

Playing against TotE in a regular game is tough but manageable.

Playing against Custodes who cherry pick stuff from other list is unbeareable.

Edited by Gorgoff