[HH1.0] Legio Custodes Tactica

Charlo

Especially when it's Imperial Militia purely to access cheaper troops to juxtapose the expensive Talons and cover up one of their weaknesses, scoring...

:wink:

Normally I agree. My rule of thumb for how hard a list I bring is if QK are allowed my list goes from a fluffy 7 or 8, to a golden and righteous 10.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone have an experience with the Caladius armed with the heavy blaze cannon?

I'm considering drafting it into my list for some extra range and valuable back corner shooting, at Legion SHV.

Oh boy do I!

I hope you like wood-chipping 3+ saves, because that is all the heavy blaze cannon is good for.

You may be S10 AP1 on a BS5 twin linked mount but without tank hunters, even AV13 isnt a done deal.

At Throne of Skulls mine was hilariously bad, only really stripping a couple HP from seperate Rhinos.

But the burst fire mode along with the Lastrum Bolters means you throw out a lot of decent strength AP3 (some of which with detonation) that hurts things like Automata.

Anyone have an experience with the Caladius armed with the heavy blaze cannon?

I'm considering drafting it into my list for some extra range and valuable back corner shooting, at Legion SHV.

Oh boy do I!

I hope you like wood-chipping 3+ saves, because that is all the heavy blaze cannon is good for.

You may be S10 AP1 on a BS5 twin linked mount but without tank hunters, even AV13 isnt a done deal.

At Throne of Skulls mine was hilariously bad, only really stripping a couple HP from seperate Rhinos.

But the burst fire mode along with the Lastrum Bolters means you throw out a lot of decent strength AP3 (some of which with detonation) that hurts things like Automata.

That... was not what I wanted to hear. lol back to the drawing board in that case.

YMMV buddy, but for me it was hilariously terrible at doing any real damage.

He certainly killed a lot of marines though....

Yeah, I have had exactly the same experience. Occasionally it gets off one amazing shot and punches right through a tank, but generally it chips off a hull point and causes a shaken result.

I considered getting a second to see how they work in tandem, but in a world where Telemons exist I don't feel much of a pull to run two sub-par Heavy Support choices.

Looks beautiful on the field though.

I've drafted in my telemon again, and will try and arrange some games against shooting av14 shv. I was reasonable confident that the heavy blaze cannon would be good enough against a knight for example. But, the in-game results seem too be poorer than anticipated.

The blaze cannons unfortunately are garbage. Adrathic devastators are fairly serviceable for AT, but statistically come up short against av 14 regardless of flare.

The most lethal platform that I can think of is the Achillus. Adrathic, las and absurd amounts of s10/D attacks. Problem is cost and is a high priority; speeders with Adrathic are probably the most annoying, cheapest and worst individual targets, but really on high rolls.

I think I'll just stick with the double stormcannon telemon his flexability is hard to leave on the shelf, I was mostly just looking for more points to squeeze some stuff in.

Corvusbikes have been pretty unimpressive to me, the unit doesn't kill av13 more impressively than the adrathic bikes, and its similarly as unimpressive against av14 and doesn't have the same tagamata utility for a lot more per bike. 

I did very much enjoy the coronus' abilities though, great at de-meching, and a good way to block your units from getting multi-charged.

I played without infiltrate in my last game, and it was pretty meh influenced where I could put my objectives too much. 

The strength of the bikes is the sheer number of shots and the fact they can scoot around at long range.

They've been consistently ass-kicking in all of my games, so much so that I'd never bring anymore than 3 - it just doesn't seem fair!

No sharing transports stops the most insane stuff. It does stop allying knights errant.

Technically being noted as Agents of the Emperor has the effect of making you Sworn Brothers with any other loyalist army, but it isn't a faction in and of itself (hence it's missing from the chart). There is nothing in the rules that limits Agents of the Emperor from including other Agents of the Emperor in their army, as the only requirement remains that the force is loyalist. Hence you could still include Knights Errants as HQ choices in your Talons army.

Speaking of nothing relevant, how are people finding the Telemon dreadnought? It might just be my favourite model ever put out by FW, and I'm looking to add two to my collection just for their sheer awesomeness. But how are they on the tabletop?

I always dread putting 300+ points into a single model that isn't a super heavy. At the same time the Custodes severely lack in the firepower department, and a duo of dual storm cannon Telemons alleviates that greatly. I'm considering a 3K list with those, 2x3 Las-Pulsar jetbikes, 3x3 Sentinels with a fist, Tankibune and 2 Achillus 'noughts with spears, which gives me a decent amount of high strength shooting as well as melee. Is dual cannons the way to go here, or should I keep a fist on each of the Telemon?

Mine has always been incredible. One fist and one Storm Cannon.

I'll probably buy a second Storm Cannon for it though, as that will make it bonkers. That said however, having a few WS6 S10 attacks with shred has come in handy for sure, and the plasma ejector is nice.

The destructive power of the Telemon is amazing indeed, and the Caestus does make use of all that juicy close combat potency it possesses. It'd be such a shame to end up in close combat and have all those S9 attacks bounce of off power armour.

Would you say the Telemon has performed better in the shooting or close combat phase in general?

• 2 weeks later...

Not exactly tactics, but have you seen the new 40k custodes models? Jetbikes, terminators and what I presume is Hetaeron equivalents. By the Holy Emperor, they have me more hyped than ever for our army. With some minor conversions they'll be great for 30k as well.

https://www.facebook.com/pg/TheWAAAGHStudios/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1554875691266020