[HH1.0] Legio Custodes Tactica

Charlo

I pair my double storm cannon Telemon with a Spear Achillus. Gives decent long range range fire, and can charge anything that gets too close to my telemon so that it can keep shooting. 

But to be honest, he can just open up on anything that gets too close anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm having a hard time finding a use for the Coronus that justifies it's real world cost. I absolutely love the model but with custodes having the option to deep strike and it not being an assault vehicle makes me feel like there's no real effective use for it (Unless I'm trying to handicap myself).

Do you guys have different opinions? 

Deep striking can go wrong and unless you run, are limited to being bunched up. Not to mention interceptor is quite easy to find in 30k. Not to mention it happens on a dice roll and not when you want.

The Coronus a big ass brick that will absorb a fair amount of firepower and wood-chip marines with its two guns fairly effectively. Usually Custodes can weather the turn of shooting after disembarking with little trouble (especially Hetaeron Guard) and then it's usually where you want them to. Not to mention it's very speedy, can jink and fire one of its guns and the other can twin-link snap fire too.

Also helps spread out the enemy anti tank when you are running Dreads too!

Do you really think deep striking can go that wrong? The core of most of my lists so far as been based around custodes squads dropping down on sisters squads with nuncio voxes. :unsure.:

Okay so that is a solid idea - especially when you can infiltrate the Sisters but it has weaknesses:

• They're only T3, 3+ - not very hard to kill in the heresy!
  • The forward deployment makes them a prime target
  • You could still fluff your reserve rolls and not have a key squad arrive until late
  • Earliest you can assault is turn 3

Meanwhile the Coronus sure has it's own disadvantages, but like all things a combination of everything is what is key!

My 2k list used both to great effect.

• 2 weeks later...

Question for all :

Achillus vs Galatus

Which is the bette performing dread and which have you had more success with?

Also bonus question:

How do regular Aquilon Terminators Perform. I can’t see any reviews of them in this thread because everyone else takes Hetheron guard which are arguably better.

Edited by m0nolith

Terminators are fine. They're pretty nice at totally slaying hordes with S6 torrents, Hammer of Wrath and Solarite Claws for maximum wounds or you can go for the assassination route of Adrathic & Solarite Fists.

Deep strike them in and go hunting for firebases.

• 3 weeks later...

Achillus. D3 cannon shots + whatever wrist guns gives you more for range. 7 attacks first round of combat with mastercrafted at s10 and the potential for D on the charge makes the thing overwhelming in most cases

Where are you getting 7 attacks with the achillus?

Achillus. D3 cannon shots + whatever wrist guns gives you more for range. 7 attacks first round of combat with mastercrafted at s10 and the potential for D on the charge makes the thing overwhelming in most cases

Multiple weapons on walkers aren't counted like weapons on infantry. Walkers gain +1 attack for each close combat weapon listed after the first. So he has 4 base, two close combat weapons by having two fists (+1 attack for the second fist after the first), +1 more if he gets the spear, and finally another +1 for charging. 

Is it kind of weird, because he's clearly using at least one fist to wield the spear? Absolutely. That rule in particular was probably written with Ork Dreadnoughts in mind. But that's how it works.

Multiple weapons on walkers aren't counted like weapons on infantry. Walkers gain +1 attack for each close combat weapon listed after the first. So he has 4 base, two close combat weapons by having two fists (+1 attack for the second fist after the first), +1 more if he gets the spear, and finally another +1 for charging. 

Is it kind of weird, because he's clearly using at least one fist to wield the spear? Absolutely. That rule in particular was probably written with Ork Dreadnoughts in mind. But that's how it works.

:eek:

If a Walker is armed with two or more melee weapons, it gains +1 bonus attack for each additional weapon after the first. Unlike other models, this is not limited to a single bonus attack, so a walker with three melee weapons would have 2 bonus attacks.

The rule goes on further to say losing an additional melee weapon reduces attacks by 1 for each lost weapon.

Ergo, Contemptor-Achillus = 4 Base Attacks, 2 Dreadnought Close Combat Weapons (+1 Attack), Additional Contemptor-Achillus Dreadspear (+1 Attack), Charging/Counter Charge (+1 Attack).

You now have a 7 attacks on the charge or when recieving, with a single reroll to hit, that on a 6 is considered to be a Destroyer hit. I don't think anyone would mind as much if the model clearly didn't have Dreadnought Close Combat Weapons. There has never been a single Custodes player in the game who has ever run an Achillus without the Spear. There is just so much wrongness about Book 7 in general that it trounces book 4 and book 2 for how broken they are (and that says a lot).

I think the winning Adepticon lists were based around Achillus and Caladius. 

• 3 months later...

Well given the recent nerfs to the Custodes, I'd like to ask what everyone's thoughts are on all of this.

Personally, I think this is a step in the right direction. Talons are still under costed by about 25%, but at least some cheesy things were curbed for the time being.

Necessary nerfs in 99% of cases.

The shields had to change, mainly for the shield captains case, but the Hetaeron with a re-rollable 5+ were gnarly too. A flat 4++ for them makes sense, as does the Shield Captain having to give up most Guardian Spear benefits to get a 3++

Saggitarum got fixed and are no longer terrible, just average. I'll certainly bring them now though to lay down accurate massed firepower.

Valdors change is fine, make that deep strike count! Being able to scatter still though is sad - would've been nice to be like Horus in that regard.

D Spear clarification is necessary, now much more balanced.

Jetbikes definitely needed the price-hike, Las-Pulsars are pure insanity.

Telemon remains a Tele-monster.

Nice to see the Kharon Aquisitor remove Custodes from it's passengers too.

I'm not sure if 25% across the board is the solution, but keen to see how things play out now.

• 2 weeks later...

What is the current best way to equip your Hetaeron Guard these days. IIRC it used to be Solarite Gauntlets were the power house, but with the FAQ I'm curious if that has changed. How do all of you equip yours?

Hasn't changed one bit. Only issue is you waste the high initiative...!

Paragon Blades are good, as are the shields of course.

• 1 month later...
According to the Errata, the shield captain has 5 attacks and can then add digital lasers for an additional attack, Valdors new profile come with 5 attacks but the asterisk denotes that this already includes the +1 from Digital lasers. Any one else think it's really odd that a shield captain can do more attacks than the big boss man? Edited by swordofmandulis

According to the Errata, the shield captain has 5 attacks and can then add digital lasers for an additional attack, Valdors new profile come with 5 attacks but the asterisk denotes that this already includes the +1 from Digital lasers. Any one else think it's really odd that a shield captain can do more attacks than the big boss man?

A regular Praetor has Leadership 10 and 4 attacks base.

Golg, a special IW Praetor has Leadership 9 and 3 attacks.

Live with it.

Indeed. Valdor offers other bonuses.

And I think it only fair & fitting that special characters differ from their generic counterparts.

That way the generic models stay interesting, too. We see that in most Sons of Horus players that almost every army based on the big man himself or the cripple. What a boring trend that is. Same with Delegatus an Veterans but that was nerfed. Luckely I may add.

So theres a been a little bit of a HH buzz around some of my friends and we're looking to give it a go again. I havent played it since inferno was released. I have a 40k Custodes army and I think I'll be trying them out.

Is there a tl;dr for this thread? 1d4chan is okay, but Im a decent enough player to not need unit analysis, Im more thinking about where do I start building a custodes list.

I'm thinking of a basis of:

Shield Captain with shield and fist/paragon spear (Its magnetised)

2x3/4 spear custodes

3 Hetaeron with shields and sentinel blades (Its what the have and with the FAQ I dont see it as that much of a handicap)

Where do i go from here?

Do i need some sisters?

How important are the vehicles?

Is taking a second SC sstill considered kind of a dick move?

I just need a few pointers in the right direction so i can get up to the minimum game value and then start trying things out myself.

• 3 weeks later...

Where do i go from here?

Do i need some sisters?

I just need a few pointers in the right direction so i can get up to the minimum game value and then start trying things out myself.

Welcome to the Emperor's Golden Legion.

To answer your questions;

Where do i go from here?
It's up to you really, most if not all of the Custodes/ Sisters units are strong inclusions in any list. To sound cliché, look at the FW website for what you think is cool and go for that. But it's a Telemon ;)
Do i need some sisters?
No fully necessary, but they certainly do rock! The Kharon transport with some Sisters on is the fastest assault unit a Talons army can field and they mince marine units - certainly useful!
AV is good as it stops your opponent shooting big guns at your expensive guys. The Coronus is SOLID and the Caladius is a great gun platform. I use the Blaze cannon variety and while the focused beam never achieves much, getting all those high S AP3 shots helps clear out the more numerous marine foe. The dreads are all awesome too.
Not really, as it's the Tribune that is the real monster. Though if the opponent has a Primarch then it's all fair game, right?

So theres a been a little bit of a HH buzz around some of my friends and we're looking to give it a go again. I havent played it since inferno was released. I have a 40k Custodes army and I think I'll be trying them out.

Is there a tl;dr for this thread? 1d4chan is okay, but Im a decent enough player to not need unit analysis, Im more thinking about where do I start building a custodes list.

I'm thinking of a basis of:

Shield Captain with shield and fist/paragon spear (Its magnetised)

2x3/4 spear custodes

3 Hetaeron with shields and sentinel blades (Its what the have and with the FAQ I dont see it as that much of a handicap)

Where do i go from here?

Do i need some sisters?

Out of interest what in the FAQ are you referring to?

I'm really liking my Sentinel Guard with some Gauntlets over regular custodian guard as troop choices.

I can't speak from experience on the SoS point but I want some, only putting out a couple of scoring units feels like a handicap and being able to put down some nice cheap ones seems like a no trainer, also infiltrate with nuncio vox is appealing to me.