[HH1.0] Legio Custodes Tactica

Charlo

A few months ago there was a big set of FAQs for heresy including a Custodes one. You can find it on Warhammer community.

The change he's referring to is the shields now giving +1 to invuln save instead of a re-roll

Yeah I have it but was just wondering what the thinking was behind the Sentinel blade and wondered if I'd missed something. Personally I'm not a fan of the sentinel blade.

Sentinel blades definitely should not be the choice on hetearon guard. They beg for ap2 either paragon blades or solarite gauntlets.

Also I've been wondering what's the general consensus on the Orion? I'm thinking of running 1 with valdor 3 heteraon and a dread either galactus or achillus but undecided on those 2 as well.

It's a big LoW. Not much of an opinion to have other than it's great!

It is great though I'm wondering if having basically half my force inside of one / as one is maybe to much but maybe that helps make it more balanced.

I'm thinking something like

Valdor

3 hetaeron (shields / paragon / melta bombs)

2×3 custodian guard (melta bombs)

2×Coronus (extra armour)

2×3 agmatus jetbikes (adrathic devestators / melta bombs)

Contemptor Galactus

Telemon (2×storm cannon)

Orion

Putting valdor hetaeron and the galactus in the Orion. So that's like 1430/3000 in reserve in /including the Orion. Admittedly jetbikes are nasty and the telemon and coronus are very hard to bring down.

Edited by Purge the Daemon

• 4 weeks later...

Hot Tip;

Saggitarum are AWESOME now with the Assault Heavy Bolters. They tend to be ignored as things like the Telemon, Hetaeron etc are much higher target Priority. 15 Accurate S5 AP4 shots on the move have a lot of use and by the time the opponent realises this, they are in range to unleash the DETH LAZORZ!

Genuinely considering upping my squad of 5 to 10 now for a true anchor unit.

• 3 weeks later...

Adrathic weapons are basically some of the best things in the Talons list!

They are always best used enmasse as the S5 is just a little on the low side, even with Instant Death and armourbane.

A scoring troops choice of 5 Guardians with Adrasite spears would be deadly, especially if you can pull off a deep strike into side armour/ something like a Thanatar.

• 4 months later...
Hey guys sorry to resurrect a dead thread it seems but have any of you had a chance to go over the updated custodes rules in book 8? I have tried playing with the army since book 8 dropped and I run a combined talons force and wow it’s so much smaller than it was. There were adjustments to models that I didn’t think needed an adjustment like the Pallas but others were inevitable

I'm very much of the opinion that the FAQ got it right and book 8 was overkill, especially with the lists lack of scoring and reduced kill power.

Sadly, the most efficient list for Custodes is now Sentinel guard with gauntlets enmasse, which is a massive shame.

Maybe at much larger point values it evens out, however I no will no longer be bringing softer lists through courtesy, which will no doubt bring jars and jibs from others at events.

Then again, I'll probably just play my Death Guard anyway.

I feel the differences to the list were unnecessary for things like the Pallas and the calidus. The telemon needed the point hike he was super efficient for how cheap he was. I don’t agree that units like valdor needed the price hike never really saw him in any lists at least when looking through here.

Custodian guard still score do they not? I run mass squads 5 man strong but I know from the week that I actually got to put everything on the table to the point of my book showing up and the game since book 8 my army felt significantly smaller. It feels like now for troops you are shoe horned as you said but I like the sisters of silence for Troops choices.

They do still score, but I just don't think normal guard are that great for the points.

There is probably also something to be said about a shield wall protecting Sisters with a 4+ cover save.

The Telemon is heavily overrated. It's just as vulnerable as any other vehicle in my experience.

I noticed subtle adjustments to wargear for everyone too. Like the shield captain lost out on the cyber familiar and other subtle changes I don’t know that I agree that the Pallas needed a points adjustment while following this thread I never saw anyone up in a hey Pallas auto include so good

The removal of the cyber-familiar was hardly 'subtle'.

It was part of the problem that was the 3+ re-roll-able invulnerable save.

I think the list is much more balanced now.

Mhm 3++ reroll was busted good it's gone. Though with the shield rework the reroll is gone to.

Sagittarium guard got better though imo they should be troops not heavy. Claudius is meh was never broken didnt change. Telemon got slightly nerfed. Shield dread is similar overall feels alright.

Pallas arent good imo way to much cost for a 1 gun javelin. Bikes are the last op unit and do probabbly need a nerf.

Custodian guard are alright but fists and on the sentinel guard is just far better.

Aquilon got buffed 30 point base unit cost increase for an extra wound for each model feels good. Hetaeron are slightly nerfed dunno if it was needed but not huge either way. Spear dread big nerf but that was probabbly the rai the whole time still is alrightish.

Coronus is alright but very pricey wish it was an assault vehicle still.

valdor is kind of :cusse now didnt need a 50 point increase but he still can put out hurt. Tribune necessary nerfs to invul still strong but not op.

Orion needs a price decrease and its derp brother the new flyer needs a rewrite what is that garbage.

Kind of how I feel about all the units list is probably more balanced than mechanicum and 1ksons are unless spamming bikes.

The removal of the cyber-familiar was hardly 'subtle'.

It was part of the problem that was the 3+ re-roll-able invulnerable save.

I think the list is much more balanced now.

Mhm 3++ reroll was busted good it's gone. Though with the shield rework the reroll is gone to.

Sagittarium guard got better though imo they should be troops not heavy. Claudius is meh was never broken didnt change. Telemon got slightly nerfed. Shield dread is similar overall feels alright.

Pallas arent good imo way to much cost for a 1 gun javelin. Bikes are the last op unit and do probabbly need a nerf.

Custodian guard are alright but fists and on the sentinel guard is just far better.

Aquilon got buffed 30 point base unit cost increase for an extra wound for each model feels good. Hetaeron are slightly nerfed dunno if it was needed but not huge either way. Spear dread big nerf but that was probabbly the rai the whole time still is alrightish.

Coronus is alright but very pricey wish it was an assault vehicle still.

valdor is kind of :cusse now didnt need a 50 point increase but he still can put out hurt. Tribune necessary nerfs to invul still strong but not op.

Orion needs a price decrease and its derp brother the new flyer needs a rewrite what is that garbage.

Kind of how I feel about all the units list is probably more balanced than mechanicum and 1ksons are unless spamming bikes.

Bikes are balanced through their monetary cost.

The definition of pay to win. ;)

When I said subtle I wasn’t necessarily referring to the cyber familiar that was supposed to be a different part of the post. Written grammar and I are not friends. The subtle changes I meant were about the Pallas randomly going up 10 points when it didn’t need it and other units wargear getting changed in such a way you wouldn’t notice unless you went line by line in wargear for each unit

When I said subtle I wasn’t necessarily referring to the cyber familiar that was supposed to be a different part of the post. Written grammar and I are not friends. The subtle changes I meant were about the Pallas randomly going up 10 points when it didn’t need it and other units wargear getting changed in such a way you wouldn’t notice unless you went line by line in wargear for each unit

They also still didnt give the bikers crusader and +1 initiative but that's also the penalties they are giving jaghati so intended I guess?

They kind of just ticked up half the things probably based on sales lol.

They also have those new jet packed custodes models are super sick but rules make them the worst unit in the list I think just actually not good.

And still new flyer am I missing something on it costs more than the Orion but has some useless bomb a chance to instant die and its weapon isnt str D even like what? And obviously no transport and less actual guns than the Orion. I don't even think orion's are good and they got I think a slight points increase so this thing us mega trash.

Edited by Purge the Daemon

Bikes are balanced through their monetary cost.

The definition of pay to win. :wink:

40k Custodes bikes aren't that expensive to get.

Same as I see people use 40k rhino for their 30k legion.

Best custodes is nerfed custodes, and then nerfed even more :D

The thing about the custodes bikes is that their footprints are rather significantly different so you'd probably have to clear it with your group/opponents to make sure its fine with them.

custodes-showcase-bikes.jpg

Very nice paintjob!
Don't really remember, since we only play HH in 8th, but  do you measure stuff in 7th from base of model or from actual model? I mean, FW models still will move same as GW one will, and if you put GW on FW base, once again, you still can fit equal amount of enemy around him, so what changes?