Genesire ................... Sanguinius

Founding ................... Nineteenth Founding

Chapter Master ......... Master Hector Vivianus

Homeworld ................ Ruarc #4  

Main Colours ............. Bone and Purple

Chapter Specialities .. Counter-Insurgency

Strength .................... Total Numbers : Less than 250

History

Founded in the dark days of the Age of Apostasy, the chapter was established to reinforce an area of the known as the Obsidian Rift, an area of Frontier space that spans the part of border between the Segmentum Obscurus and Segmentum Ultima Segmentum. The area had long been rife with pirates and others looking to exploit the administrative bureaucracy of the border. Two Chapters were placed to bring stability to the region The Emperor's Harbingers were placed on the Segmentum Obscurus side, and the Emperors Dragoons were placed on the Ultima Side.

Initial training of the chapter came from the Angels Encarmine. Shortly after founding at the height of the age of apostasy the Obsidian Rift was cut of from the imperium by a number of large warp storms. They did what they could to protect the rift from an Ork Warrrah!, and other threats, as they regained contact with the Imperium, they were held as heroes by many for their stabilizing effect on the region but the Lions share of the Glory fell to the Dragoons.

Fate of the Dragoons
In the early years of M38 a doom falls upon the Emperor's Dragoons and the as remnants of the chapter leave the Obsidian Rift, leaving the Emperors Harbingers as the only guardian chapter a task they still hold to till this day

At the end of the Abaddons 7th Black Crusade a splinter force broke off and started raiding across the Obsidian Rift.  A number of systems fell to chaos and a return of warp storms allowed for additional rebellions. For a number of centuries the Harbingers worked with the Dragoons in flighting a defense of the key worlds of the rift. In the early years of M38 a Crusade was ordered to bring stability to the region. This Crusade was a morate success reclaiming a number of lost worlds, but made little impact in pushing the imperium borders into the Frontier Space.

In 969.M41 a force of Iron Warriors, and other Chaos Space Marine warbands started to build a empire within the depths of the Obsidian Rifts. (Having entered the real-space via cults on planets deep in the Rifts on the edges of the frequent warp storms).  The Emperor's Harbingers were tasked with keeping these small raids in check. By 980.M41 The Small Raids had broken into a large crusade lead by the Demon Prince Warsmith. Additional imperial forces are routed to help fight back the Crusade and the Harbingers act as the Vanguard of attempted counter attacks. Long Wars of Attrition  

The chapter respond to the request for aid in the Cryptus Campaign. The Chapter took 5 companies of marines to battle, leaving a force to help fight the Black Crusade and another to defend the homeworld.  The chapter were not deployed to the Cryptus system but at a hive world in the oculus stars,  this world fell to an uprising of a Genestealer Cult, in the fighting the majority of the chapter were destroyed. A few surviving members of the chapter made it back to the homeworld a new Chapter Master was appointed and the chapter was reorganised to operate effectively despite the small numbers.

Combat Doctrine

The Emperor's Harbingers operate with all the flexibility allowed for by the codex, and have been known to fight with a wide variety of Doctrines. Though a preference for shock assault is apparent.

Normal engagement in a combat zone follows this process, an initial scouting force would be dispatched to  gather intelligence. Targets are identified, most are given to local forces to deal with but Targets of Critical or High Strategic value are identified. At which point a Orbital Insertion will be conducted supported by the Scouting forces an armoured assets.

Over long conflicts the chapter has a reputation of having little temperament for defence. And will withdraw to avoid defencive battles, and plan a strike to reclaim the ground later. This has caused conflicts with officers within the imperium who see them as unreliable, and has on occasion cause the chapter to turn on guard regiments. Thankfully for the chapter its reputation for in battling the forces of Chaos has given it significant influence with several inquisitors who have nearly always sided with the chapter in these, political (and sometimes actual) fights.

Home World/Homeworld

Ruarc #4 is a hive world composed of 1 large continent which covers over 40% of the surface and Large Ocean with the occasional volcanic island, The continent itself in shape is roughly a crescent shaped, with a mountain range running along its ‘spine’. The top of the continent is within the arctic, and the base of the continent is in the tropics. 4 Large Hive Cities are located along the outer edge of the crescent filling the land from the shoreline to the Mountain Ranges, and 2 smaller Hives that are spread wide on the inside edge of the crescent. The Rest of the Continent is a wasteland, air is non toxic, but apart from small settlements of nomads and scavengers the land has long been stripped of all resources.    

The chapter itself established its fortress monastery on the largest volcanic island on the far side of the planet to the primary continent. The complex that was upgraded to become the base of the chapter had been a the seat of power for a rogue trader dynasty that fell foul of the inquisition just before the chapter was formed. As such the facilities also include a number of orbital stations which allows for the Chapter to have an extensive fleet.

Organisation

The Chapter traditionally operated a standard Codex Organisation, following the pattern of the Blood Angles, (With the addition of the Sanguinary Priesthood, the Sanguinary Guard and the Death Company).

Following the Deployment and loss of most of the Chapter in the Cryptus campaign the structure of the chapter has become temporality non-standard.  Currently the chapter is divided into three

companies.  One Battle company, one Reserve company and the “10th” company.

In addition the traditional 1st company exists but it currently operates in as a loose group of individuals referred to as the ‘Hall of Heros’. It operates nominally under the umbrella as part of the Sanguinary Guard. Of note is that a number of Captains, and command squads without associated companies can be found in these ranks. These are individuals are what are left of the other 7 companies, and continue to operate as masters of part of the chapters organisation (such as Master of the Arsenal).

Beliefs and Rituals

The chapter again is a reflection of the Blood Angels, and follow many of the same customs and rituals of as created by the Primarch. But a number of key divergences have occurred, the first is a reflection in the chapter cult, over time the idea that the Emperor and Sanguinius are divine beings, and incorporate rituals and prayers that normally would be seen within the Imperial Cult have been brought into the chapter. This has not been fully indoctrinated given the longevity of the marines lives, 2 camps can be seen within the chapter, and a division between Orthodoxy and Divinity has occurred. 

The start of this rift has the origins with the origins of the chapter itself, being formed out of the politics of the age of apostasy. Shortly before the obsidian rift was cut off from the rest of the Imperium a force of  Frateris Templars were sent to the rift to aim the new chapters in stabilizing the region, a political counter play by the  Ecclesiarchy. Once the region was cut off the imperials found themselves fighting a defensive campaign, whereas the Imperial Dragoons became isolated, the Harbingers worked with all the forces in the area including the Frateris Templars, when contact was restored to the Imperium and the forced dismantling of the Templars started to occur, the Harbingers went out of there way to help them praising them as heroes of the sector, and welcomed a number of veterans ‘sanctuary’  as chapter serfs. (one of the many reasons imperial records of the time focus on the Dragoons not the Harbingers). 

But it was from these men that the seeds of the rituals and prayers that put both the Emperor and Sanguinius as divine beings sprout from. Theses beliefs have yet to ‘over whelm’ the whole chapter currently these camps co-exist but has created internal politics within the chapter, promotions and assignments have been given out depending on the beliefs of the individuals making the decisions. Currently the Chapter Master does not ascribe to the idea of Divinity, but the Master of Sanctity does which has created a slight rift within the chapter, but for the most part it is considered old a minor issue between brothers, and something the argue about over meals and when waiting for combat to start. 

Geneseed

The Geneseed of the Emperors Harbingers  is similar to the The gene-seed of the Blood Angels i. It has retained the also has the trait of vastly extending the lifespan of the Space Marine. And the Chapter also are still  susceptible to the Black Rage and the Red Thirst.

One notable variations is with the Omophagea implant, it appears to be overactive causing a deep hunger in many marines, especially in Neophytes. A such the 10th company is known as the Head-Hunters, as many corpse of the enemy are found beheaded, or worse.    

Chapter Motto

“In His Name, Hear The Harbingers Of Death, It Strikes True, It Strikes Fast”  

So This is the first Draft for the new Blood Angles chapter I am working on Let me know what you guys think. 

You can find the models for this army being built here http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/325360-uverons-imperials-%E2%80%93-wip-log-tale-of-20-hobbyists/

I am also looking for help naming all the guys in this chapter, please have a look  Here and come-up with something 

Looks good! What backstory and info you have so far looks good. Distinctive without being overly flamboyant. I appreciate the flexible combat doctrine.

I'd appreciate more info on the chapter's beliefs, and if they have any beliefs unique to them. The divide between the Ecclesiarchal and conservative marines is interesting, and worth exploring more in depth. Also the Head Hunters need to be looked into more. Having your scout company so affected by the Red Thirst would definitely have an affect on the chapter's disposition.

Besides that just a bit more info on their history and homeworld would be good. What is their homeworld culture like? What makes the people of the islands good recruits? How has their homeworld affected the chapter, if at all? (tip: a lot of non-death worlds tend to make up for in piousness what they lack in badassery. Maybe this piousness has seeped into the chapter?) Also giving a short description of a notable campaign might give greater insight into the doctrine of the chapter.

Also I suggest using the B&C painter or similar to get a proper picture of your color scheme.

Keep up the good work!

Looks good! What backstory and info you have so far looks good. Distinctive without being overly flamboyant. I appreciate the flexible combat doctrine.

I'd appreciate more info on the chapter's beliefs, and if they have any beliefs unique to them. The divide between the Ecclesiarchal and conservative marines is interesting, and worth exploring more in depth. Also the Head Hunters need to be looked into more. Having your scout company so affected by the Red Thirst would definitely have an affect on the chapter's disposition.

Besides that just a bit more info on their history and homeworld would be good. What is their homeworld culture like? What makes the people of the islands good recruits? How has their homeworld affected the chapter, if at all? (tip: a lot of non-death worlds tend to make up for in piousness what they lack in badassery. Maybe this piousness has seeped into the chapter?) Also giving a short description of a notable campaign might give greater insight into the doctrine of the chapter.

Also I suggest using the B&C painter or similar to get a proper picture of your color scheme.

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the Feedback! I hope to get some pictures of actual models on the post along with some B&C painter stuff, just finalizing the color scheme at the moment.  I agree, I want to return to the Ecclesiastical division within the chapter, I am working on naming every marine in the chapter and write a few sentences of background for each one. So I expect the devison to Grow from that. As for the head-hunters yes I do need to add some more details, I also want to push the idear that they have a hunger for eating brains, and getting knowledge from fallen foes. Its a bit of the 40K marine fluff I like.  

Thanks again, I will visit each of these points you rased and add some more information to each part. 

• 5 weeks later...

Archived