Black Book - The First Solar War

simison

Old Fluff

I cycled through both Book threads and every faction thread tied to those books. In every case, content was being worked upon, I had already left a friendly reminder, or progress wasn't possible at this time.

Since I'm in 'rulebook' mode for this cycle, I've decided to start this thread. I don't expect much progress since we are at a mere two days before potentially replacing the Jackels. Once either Invictus returns or the Jackels' are replaced, progress can proceed anew on Expansion. This is merely to allow another outlet, until progress happens elsewhere.

Again, four factions. The Loyalist Legion will be the Halcyon Wardens. The Traitor Legion will be the Eagle Warriors. 

That's set in stone. 

What isn't set in stone is location and the other two faction slots. I submit the battleground should be the Delian System, on Delos Prime. 

~~~

Setting: The First Solar War

Factions Involved:  House Toho, Legio Gojira, Warbringers, Fire Keepers, Halcyon Wardens, Legio Tempestus, House Zivich

Progress Report - 

Alpha Stage (Fluff)

• General Background: 
  • Warbringers:
  • Fire Keepers:
  • Halcyon Wardens:
  • House Toho:
  • Legio Gojira:
  • House Zivich:
  • Legio Tempestus:

Beta Stage (Fluff)

• Book 4A Campaigns (The Southern Echelon):
  • Book 4B Campaigns (The Central Echelon):
  • Book 4C Campaigns (The Northern Echelon):

Delta Stage (Crunch)

• Warbringers:
  • Fire Keepers:
  • Halcyon Wardens:
  • House Toho:
  • Legio Gojira:
  • House Zivich:

Tau Stage (Crunch)

• Book 4A Campaigns
  • Book 4B Campaigns 
  • Book 4C Campaigns

I'll be honest. I'm not sure if this will feature the entire First Solar War or just Travier's final blow against Delos. We'll see.

Current outline:

Year - 039.M31

Location - The Segmentum Solar Eastern Border

Factions Involved - 

• Fire Keepers
  • Harbingers
  • Berserkers of Uran
  • Grave Stalkers
  • Scions Hospitaliers
  • Warbringers
  • Godslayers
  • Halcyon Wardens
  • Void Eagles
  • Eagle Warriors
  • The Drowned
Edited by simison

Looking over the book outlines, I am reminded that we originally were going to lump the Mechanicum and Knight Houses into their own books since we had limited ourselves to just four books. Now that we've expanded, I see that the Cognis have their own faction slot in Escalation. In which case, perhaps one of the slots could go to Abyssi. 

And, while I was making this post, I thought about the Knight Houses and the Titan Legios. They don't usually come with rules, do they? If we limit them to fluff alone, I see no reason why not to start regularly include either of them, except in Book 1 which is already pretty full.

If that's agreeable, I'd like to write up Legio Tempestus, which is closely allied to the Wardens. I believe a Knight House is already going to be a part of Emancipation, correct?

Finally, what was the ruling on Xenos Militia? Off-hand, I don't remember Slips saying strongly one way or another. 

As for the campaign itself, we've yet to have a book focused in one area, like Betrayal's Choral City or Massacre's Urgal Depression. Well, potentially at least. Emancipation takes place throughout the Dominion, while Insurrection is spread out throughout the entire galaxy. To that end, as I've mentioned, I want to focus on the Delos System. But which planet? I'm undecided between Salim, capital of the system and [Delos Prime], or the planet next to it, which would be a fortress world. Thoughts?

Do you want to cover that campaign in Emancipation or in Escalation?

As Emancipation is about the Blood Crusade, I thought that it's all about the Dominion.

And yes, House Harkon will be featured in Emancipation as they're supporting the Lions in their defense.

Don't know if that matters concerning rules but I had the idea for two new knight suits, one equipped with a helfrost cannon.

Concerning Delos. I would suggest that first of all the fortress planet should be eradicated before attacking Delos itself.

Possibly our Paramar?

Edited by Kelborn

Do you want to cover that campaign in Emancipation or in Escalation?

As Emancipation is about the Blood Crusade, I thought that it's all about the Dominion.

And yes, House Harkon will be featured in Emancipation as they're supporting the Lions in their defense.

Don't know if that matters concerning rules but I had the idea for two new knight suits, one equipped with a helfrost cannon.

Concerning Delos. I would suggest that first of all the fortress planet should be eradicated before attacking Delos itself.

Possibly our Paramar?

You have things turned around there a bit I think Kel. Edited by Demus Ragnok

Is it worth putting Cognis back a bit, so their freaky Warp stuff can be unveiled during the Blood Crusade or shortly after? The Corpora Ferro have their first sighting on the fields of Cadia.

It is, they're in Escalation

Fab.

Actually, could we get an addition to Important Topics or General Discussion that shows which factions are in which book?

I apologize, I seemed to have gotten a little rambly. But yes, I was looking at Escalation, saw the Cognis there, and thought about adding Abyssi here in Emancipation.

Also, my question is where should the book's battlefield be? On Delos or a different world?

Blunt, I can make the addition. I'll do it in my next misc round.

Seems like I mixed up because of sims post. ^^"

As I said, why not using Delos and its system and turn it into something like Paramar. Who will be the aggressors?

The Eagle Warriors. During Icarion's first push toward Terra, he needs forces to safeguard his flanks. Travier either is given, bargain, or connives his way into handling the 'southern' flank, which puts him directly against Alexandros and the Halcyon Wardens. 

And when the EW attack, the defending Wardens know that they are traitors, correct?

If so, let's do the same thing Abaddon did when he attacked the EC during the Legion wars.

They used a whole ship as a giant torpedo. With the powers of Khayon, they dragged a ship with them through the warp and threw it upon a planet / fortress. Quite overwhelming and effective.

In doing so m, the EW could destroy most of the defenses with one simple strike and descent upon the remaining defenders.

But of a Calth situation and we got the dramatical means to keep it tensed.

Edited by Kelborn

Too obviously borrowed. Also one ship would be shredded by defenses.

This is ten years into the war. The sides are known.

Travier Alexos should be clever but uniquely so.

The Warmaster's divination vs Travier's chaos favor makes for lots of wild possibilities.

Edited by Demus Ragnok

All in saying is that we could do whatever we want to.

And nope, the ship would not be torn to shreds. Have you read Talon of Horus? Surprise effect is what would matter here.

But I don't want to stick with ADBs idea.

Alex's divination can only be disturbed by a great amount of psychic energy, correct?

Would one or two cargo freighters which were modified for carrying hundreds of caged and warp connected psykers be enough to disturb his powers? Along with the psykers, other atrocities like possessed or demons could be transported towards the planet, releasing its cargo in countless drop pods while psy storms could interfere the defense systems.

In the meantime, heavy weapons can be deployed while preparing for the great assault.

And before someone comes up with the defending fleet: summoning of demons. During Calth, demons were summoned into the UM ships. Same could happen here.

A multi vector assault, perfectly timed by Travier and his dark allies.

When Alexandros and his Wardens are finally able to destroy the interfering psyker choral, they can even the odds with his divination powers.

How about that? If this is as well no option, I'll use that for my Tsons warband.

I wouldn't go with daemons already. Something Warp-related but not that on-the-nose.

Seeing as The Atrocity Archive is still fresh in my mind, perhaps there's room for him to engineer ways of skewing space-time so the Eagle Warriors can emerge much closer to the planet than normally possible? I've essentially had our Black Legion do that in my little story for them, and it's the kind of scientific use of the Warp Lorgar wouldn't consider.

Edited by bluntblade

First one was from Talon of Horus.

Second one was my own idea. :)

Maybe the Mexicanii instead of demons? The EW would need something that can strike very quick and extremely hard to beat the Wardens asap.

Maybe the Mexicanii instead of demons? The EW would need something that can strike very quick and extremely hard to beat the Wardens asap.

My point being ToH and BotL are too different to draw a comparison. But anyway, onwards!

My point being ToH and BotL are too different to draw a comparison. But anyway, onwards!

Sorry for misunderstanding your post.

Simison, what do you think of it?

Honestly? These all sound like the main focus is on the void battles. That's not what I'm aiming for. I agree with Blunt that it's too early for outright daemonic troops. Right now, Travier and Icarion are rivals in their respective visions for the Insurrection. Like Horus, Icarion's set on a secular conquest, while Travier follows in Lorgar's footsteps in aiming for a galactic religious conversion to Chaos. At this point, Icarion is still very much in control of the Traitors and takes a dim view of Travier and his daemon allies. And Icarion is backed up by K'awil and Koschei. So, Travier has to be subtle at this point with the Chaos worship and powers. 

Thus, I think the easiest explanation is the most effective explanation: warp storms. Alex isn't stationed on Delos when Icarion begins his invasion into Seg. Solar. So, he only learns about Travier's plans later. He gathers his legion and reinforcements and makes for the Delian system. The actual goal was to arrive early enough to stop the Traitor forces from breaching the system's outer limits. But the Chaos gods, whether at Travier's behest or on their own initiative, make the trip dangerous and slow the Warmaster for several days, allowing the Eagle Warriors to conquer the outer planets. 

When the Warmaster's fleet finally arrives in-system, its battered and risky to face the Eagle Warrior fleet in an all-out engagement. There's some skirmishing, but Alex is able to land on the next targeted planet and that sets up the big battle. 

So far, I've heard one vote for the battle taking place on Delos itself, and one on the fortress world, Murugata. Here's why I'm conflicted. Murugata is the more tactical choice for an engagement because it's been properly fortified and would be a chance to show the Vth off as dedicated warriors. Delos would be more symbolic as Travier seeks to attack the capital city of Salim and would provide more Chaos boons for the symbolism going on, while giving the Wardens to show off their defender side as the civilians get caught up in the war.

I do Kel's idea that Travier has specifically brought a card to counter Alex's divination, and its some kind of Warp-tainted psyker network.