Thanks for the ideas Vairocanum (represented below), I'm glad to see you aren't gone!

I did a couple of concept drawings for two different daemon princes. One features my original idea, a corrupted Sister of Silence wielding double whips and, while I think the whirling pose is pretty cool, I'm still open to other ideas. On the other side, I liked the “biomechanical” concept provided by Vairocanum but, unfortunately, I don't like at all how Obliterators look, so I went for a more creepy style, more fitting for the Harvesters of Souls.

med_gallery_92948_12550_495348.jpg

Who do you guys like the most? One of them will hopefully get started soon, the other should be farther away in the future...

Some fantastic concept art! Love both of them, I'm sure you'd be able to do justice to both. For the whirling pose I thought that would be easiest to transport since I know you play games often. For the biomechanical one I meant the aspect of daemon meets machine aspect of obliterators not aesthetics cause I don't like how they look either. I think some more machine like aspects on the head would also be an interesting option. Looking forward to seeing more!

Make the right one.

As for the one at the right or the one that is right?:tongue.: I've done the first and hope to also have done the second!

PD: cool new profile pic!

I really like both...

Where's that "why not both" kid from the commercials!?

I guess it is near the "time-stop" Spell scroll... Seriously though, I will do the Lady of Silence... eventually.

Some fantastic concept art! Love both of them, I'm sure you'd be able to do justice to both. For the whirling pose I thought that would be easiest to transport since I know you play games often. For the biomechanical one I meant the aspect of daemon meets machine aspect of obliterators not aesthetics cause I don't like how they look either. I think some more machine like aspects on the head would also be an interesting option. Looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks brother, your positive comments always motivate me! As for the head I was thinking of putting an actual humanoid head looking from inside the open jaw and wired to the head, as well as some augment Ines inside one of the eye sockets.

Both look great but Vassal makes me think more 40k with the bio-mechanical look

Yup, you might be right, he has more of a Grimdark feel.

So, I'm sorry to not have updated the thread earlier, but my week away has been much more busier than expected, and uploading photos from my mobile takes too much time (no wi-fi where I went), but I did make an skeleton for the Vassal of Extiction and started adding muscles, hope to work a lot more on him this days. Also did a more detailed drawing of the head and the arms, though of course the final result will have much less detail.

sml_gallery_92948_12550_320226.jpgsml_gallery_92948_12550_812602.jpg

Also had to finished a Kheradruakh commission, which did take away some time.

I know that in my last thread I promised some update on Magnus, but he's actually in my local store, so I cannot take pics of it. However this afternoon I'm going there, so tonight or to,Oreos morning I'll surely post about him. In the meantime I do have pics about a bike based on the AoS Chaos Knight models, which I would like a lot to hear your opinion on it:

med_gallery_92948_12550_455812.jpgmed_gallery_92948_12550_178096.jpg

I like how it is turning out, but I'm stuck as as don't know how to make the handlebars, any ideas?

So, as promised, here you have pics of Magnus as he stands now:

med_gallery_92948_12550_99553.jpg

Since you last saw him he has had both wings finished and the horns at his head and armour, his crown, and wing armour painted.

med_gallery_92948_12550_147599.jpg

The wings have been horrible ;), it took me so much time to paint them and they're possibly the main reason for which I left Magnus alone for so long, but I'm really happy with how they've turned in the end, and I think that I've managed to keep the dark feel of my army while bringing in some Green to contrast.

med_gallery_92948_12550_692608.jpgmed_gallery_92948_12550_454003.jpg

I decided to leave the horns as they are for now, even though in the past I talked about painting some tribal markings, but I think this is already a pretty baroque model who doesn't need extra details. However, if you think otherwise, be sure to tell me why, I will be rethinking this anyways when I finish the model.

med_gallery_92948_12550_1079098.jpg

Magnus is looking phenomenal! I think without the runes is fine, cause if i remember correctly the reason for painting runes on it was cause highlighting would be difficult and leaving it in plain colors was not good. As they look now I think is fine. Looking forward to seeing him completed!

Edit: The brilliance of Magnus made me forget about the bike. I think it's looking cool so far, although I think a thinner wheel for the front would work better. As for handlebars, maybe you could modify some horns to fit in with the daemon looking aspect? Definitely looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Magnus is a beauty to lay eyes on. The colors are fantastic and those wings look rad!

The vassal of extinction is also off to a great start. Looking forward to further progress on that monster. The bike is also pretty cool. As for handle bars I would say use an existing one from a space marine biker. Then use maybe the armor plating from the AoS khorne guys (I forget what they are called but they are the ones before the End Times happened) as the guards. They have belly and hip armor bits and I think some may be useful.

I am blown away... that Magnus is stunning, I mean absolutely stunning..

Thanks! Since I've gotten back to him I'm enjoying it a lot, once the wings were done he has been an awesome model to paint :P!

Magnus is looking phenomenal! I think without the runes is fine, cause if i remember correctly the reason for painting runes on it was cause highlighting would be difficult and leaving it in plain colors was not good. As they look now I think is fine. Looking forward to seeing him completed!

Edit: The brilliance of Magnus made me forget about the bike. I think it's looking cool so far, although I think a thinner wheel for the front would work better. As for handlebars, maybe you could modify some horns to fit in with the daemon looking aspect? Definitely looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

Thanks Vairo, I'm happy with the horns as they're too, but I'll consider it again when the whole model is finished, in case they look too plain with all the other detail he's going to have. As for the bike, I tried to use a thinner wheel too (for a true chopper style), but found none that I could press mound correctly (tried some lego and toy ones that I had lying around, but they didn't work). I like the horn idea for the handlebars though, I'll try and make them curved.

Also "the brilliance of Magnus" made me chuckle...

Brilliant. Absolutely brillant. I give you my adress and hope to find magnus soon in my postal box

Haha, only if you give me a custom primarch in return! Virgultur can't wait much more to be made ;)...

That is really nice, the darker colours work well. It's a very unique take on the model. :thumbsup:

Glad you like him this way, in my store everyone is saying that he's too dark, but I've been enjoying painting darker models lately (at least for the Harvesters of Souls) and I couldn't let him look different!

Magnus is a beauty to lay eyes on. The colors are fantastic and those wings look rad!

The vassal of extinction is also off to a great start. Looking forward to further progress on that monster. The bike is also pretty cool. As for handle bars I would say use an existing one from a space marine biker. Then use maybe the armor plating from the AoS khorne guys (I forget what they are called but they are the ones before the End Times happened) as the guards. They have belly and hip armor bits and I think some may be useful.

Thanks Hushrong, they certainly felt rad too when I painted them (rad grenades kind of rad, the kind that leaves you with -1 Toughness for the rest of your life and, in this case, also gives you ornitophobia...)!

Vassal will get some more attention when Magnus is done, I'm completely focused on him right now. As for the Khorne bits you mention... I have no idea what you're talking about :P. And yes, actual handlebars would be ideal, but I would prefer not to buy 7 of them in bit markets!

So, more progress on Magnus, I painted the lower leg armour and the tabard, and he had his nails done too!

med_gallery_92948_12550_1054552.jpg

med_gallery_92948_12550_796071.jpgmed_gallery_92948_12550_129905.jpg

The tabard looked too plain with just the black to white scheme, so I added a little thing... But I'm not too sure if that kind of freehand fits the rest of the model, what do you guys think?

Also, today I'm starting a three week 3D modelling course, to compliment my sculpting, I'm very excited to see how it goes, hopefully some 3D printed bits will be part of my conversions soon! (Now I just need an actual 3D printer...)

Looking great, the eyeballs are fantastic as usual, nice detail on the tabard too. I think you could probably make a wheel yourself. Like pressmold a lego gear and sculpt the tire over it, then pressmold the finished product for the rest of the squad? Either way I'm sure that you'll make the bigger wheels work fine regardless. 

Also, today I'm starting a three week 3D modelling course, to compliment my sculpting, I'm very excited to see how it goes, hopefully some 3D printed bits will be part of my conversions soon! (Now I just need an actual 3D printer...)

Instead of buying an expensive/:cussty printer you can just take the CAD/stl file to staples - they do custom 3D printing, they'll take your flash drive and send you an email when its done. That's how I got my 3D printed Heirodule.

WOW JUST WOW just did some quick catching up through some of what I've missed in my absence and your work never ceases to amaze me brother your GS work was always good but now it's freakin amazing and your paint work matches. You should definitely get your hands on the starter set or at least the one with the new models I'd love to see your take on them and I think you'd enjoy them as much as I am. Anywho I can't wait to see more keep up the awesome work man.

the repose on magnus is epic and the paintwork is just as good. Great work all round :smile.:

Thanks, this is the kind of input that keeps me motivated :P!

Brilliant. Absolutely brillant. I give you my adress and hope to find magnus soon in my postal box

Okay, the skullmaster shall be made^^

Of course he shall be made... By myself ;)!!! Also, the Skullmaster is a cool title, but maybe too khornate?

Looking great, the eyeballs are fantastic as usual, nice detail on the tabard too. I think you could probably make a wheel yourself. Like pressmold a lego gear and sculpt the tire over it, then pressmold the finished product for the rest of the squad? Either way I'm sure that you'll make the bigger wheels work fine regardless.

Thanks Vairo, I could probably make it myself but, as you may have noticed, I have such a huge pile of projects that I've decided not to get myself into anything too time consuming for a while, so will try a more basic approach with the bikes... :(

Instead of buying an expensive/:cussty printer you can just take the CAD/stl file to staples - they do custom 3D printing, they'll take your flash drive and send you an email when its done. That's how I got my 3D printed Heirodule.

Oh yeah, at least for now I won't be buying a 3D printer, don't have that kind of cash and those things get outdated quick! When I start getting some cool models done I'll start searching for somewhere in where I can get them printed here in Madrid.

WOW JUST WOW just did some quick catching up through some of what I've missed in my absence and your work never ceases to amaze me brother your GS work was always good but now it's freakin amazing and your paint work matches. You should definitely get your hands on the starter set or at least the one with the new models I'd love to see your take on them and I think you'd enjoy them as much as I am. Anywho I can't wait to see more keep up the awesome work man.

Haha, I surely missed this kind of comments! ;) I'm really tempted to get the starter set, specially the new first strike box which has such a great price, but I don't collect Primaris marines or Death Guard, don't plan to do so in the near future and, as I said to Vairocanum, I don't want to start new big projects untill I finish some of the ones that I have now... However I'm really struggling in there brother, maybe I'll find myself with a box one of this days...

Tabard looks good with the freehand. Also good luck with the class.

I would like to put in an order for some wicked looking chaos marines when you are ready :smile.:

Thanks, the course is being a blast, ZBrush is such a great tool! Funny that you say it, I just started some CSM to add to my army for the August Arena, if you want some for yourself PM me so that we can get something arranged!

Nice variant of him, dig the pose, too. Looks like a very angry Magnus. :happy.:

Thanks! Well, his legion was almost destroyed... twice, his planet was burned, his people slaughtered, his sons mostly turned to dust and he didn't manage to destroy Fenris... I guess he has some solid reasons to be angry!

Well, thanks for the kind comments everyone, I have good and bad news. The good news are that MAGNUS IS FINISHED!!! The bad are that I can't show him yet because the water effect on his base doesn't want to dry, after all the mess that I made to apply it (twice, as the first one mostly leaked out cause I didn't place the tape well...), so you'll have to wait a day or two to see him in all his finished glory. I'm really happy to have ended this project, possibly the best thing I've ever painted.

But I worry not, for I have already started something to keep me busy in the meantime, a new Chaos Warrior based CSM squad:

med_gallery_92948_12550_361116.jpg

As you can see the armour has already been "powerised" and the helmets added, as well as two weapons. Hope to be able to rival the excellent work that Kordhal is making on his Intercessors for the arena!

Awesome looking squad! Great sculpting work as usual, got any clearer pics of the chest plates? They're looking really cool! Also looking forward to seeing Magnus all complete, definitely a phenomenal centerpiece for your army!

Magnus is looking great. Lovely work on the wings especially. I was thinking about converting over some fantasy warriors myself, thanks for the inspiration.

Thanks, chaos warriors look very cool as CSM in my opinion, and are fairly easy to convert. You just need to decide what you're going to do about the legs, some people just leave the boots as they come, others replace them with marine legs and a few, as myself, greenstuff the thing to look like power armour, it depends on the time that you want to spend on each model and the aesthetics you're after, I will be looking forwards to see what you do at the end!

Awesome looking squad! Great sculpting work as usual, got any clearer pics of the chest plates? They're looking really cool! Also looking forward to seeing Magnus all complete, definitely a phenomenal centerpiece for your army!

Thanks brother, you can see more detailed pics below, I didn't realise how bad yesterday's pic was... As for Magnus yeah, he's an excellent centrepiece, now I just need to paint an army to put around! :P

Well, the Chaos Warriors CSM are progressing quickly, now I just need to add the back packs (which are being press moulded) and the Noise Marine bits options (which are, in part, also being press moulded ;)).

med_gallery_92948_12550_700787.jpg

Also, as requested by Vairocanum, and thanks to magnets being awesome, here you have some pics of each one in where you can see the torso and the head in more detail:

sml_gallery_92948_12550_127090.jpgsml_gallery_92948_12550_290634.jpgsml_gallery_92948_12550_168618.jpg

sml_gallery_92948_12550_269180.jpgsml_gallery_92948_12550_239884.jpgsml_gallery_92948_12550_222368.jpg

I'm really liking how the champion turned out, but hope that the two heads that I did with part of the skull bare will look better once painted...

Archived