don't change anything!

After seeing the general opinion I suppose I won't, he'll get the other side of that wing and the other painted in the same way... eventually.

go with the second wing just the same that looks ace.

Thanks! I'll try my best, but the interior of the wings will be slightly different as there is a Tzeentchian symbol there with which I want to try out something.

The wing looks beautiful :wub:. They look amazing as they are now, looking forward to seeing the other wings!

Thanks brother, it might be some time until I paint it, but all your replies surely have helped to motivate me!

great stuff mate! i love the choppers, they are way more badasss than regular ones! ;)

geez, you got some serious sculpting skills, love the assassin giving the finger - thats what gives the army personality to me

cheers!

Thanks! They're not as detailed as yours but... well, they'll have to do ;). About the assassins I'm glad that you like them, they're possibly the most ambitious sculpting project I've done so far and, while they certainly have things that could be better, I'm pretty satisfied with how they look and will try to do something similar in the future (actually I'm sculpting a Chaos Dwarf Blood Bowl team almost from scratch right now, but no photos of that in this forum...).

Really nailed the wing, I honestly think you should keep going. I can imagine it's a drag but wow, what a result you're getting!

Thanks! I will keep on don't worry, but it'll be a bit slow... :P

I'm having a game this afternoon so I won't be able to paint much, but on the other hand I'll finally be able to try out Magnus on the table, which hopefully will motivate me even further! At the end I'm going to play the list I presented earlier with the Rehati War Sect and the Anarchic Heralds, but I'm playing at 1850 so I had the points to add a couple of mastery levels and some artifacts. After the great game I had with the Emperor's Children I want to see how I manage with the Thousand Sons (actually just eight sons), the new supplements are awesome!

Absolutely freaking amazing brother Magnus looks fantastic keep up the awesome work man

Thanks Pyro, a comment like this could only be yours :wink:! I ran out of greenstuff today sculpting chaos dwarves for my BB team, and the new order I placed won't arrive until Tuesday-Wednesday, so I'm going to be forced to paint Magnus, as I have nothing else to do...

Yesterday I tested him on the field and managed to draw 11-11 against a War Convocation with two Cerastus Imperial Knights, an Atrapos and an Acheron, so I'm pretty happy with it as that would have obliterated much of my other lists... I killed the Atrapos in turn 2 and ignored the Acheron (he wasn't a threat for my flyers) and the rest of the game consisted on me trying to blast things in the psychic phase while summoning daemons to control eventual objectives while he killed what I had summoned and focused the rest of his army on a prince (he managed to kill one, at the last turn :tongue.:). Fun fact: Magnus rolled 5 1s when trying to cast Magnus Gaze on first turn, failing completely and then rolled another two ones to hit with his other Strenth D power, missing. On the other hand he did manage to control a Kataphron unit with gravs two turns (the new sixth Tzeentch power), which dealt 6 out of the 7 HP of the Atrapos... Overall it was a fun game and I will use this list more when playing competitive (meaning I need to do some converting, daemon princes incoming!)

At last I saw that PicsArt has released a new feature called "magic" filters, which are pretty darn awesome, so I spent some time playing around with them on Makke Haasan pics:

med_gallery_92948_12550_113858.jpeg

And his post fall of the legion version:

med_gallery_92948_12550_261321.jpeg

med_gallery_92948_12550_430266.jpeg

med_gallery_92948_12550_15379.jpeg

med_gallery_92948_12550_41020.jpeg

Edit: wanted to try it out with a painted model, so here I have distorted Reus Ghortan:

sml_gallery_92948_12550_66515.jpegsml_gallery_92948_12550_117810.jpegsml_gallery_92948_12550_97883.jpegsml_gallery_92948_12550_249750.jpeg

As I'm actually liking this a lot I'm thinking of using them as a kind of "ghost look" of my army, like some kind of power used mainly by Necrontians which allows to see directly a creature's soul, so I would appreciate any feedback on what filter do you like the most, either from the Ghortan or Haasan ones, thanks for your help!

I like the last of makke the most..it looks just like a fancy artwork
Yup, one of my favourites too, but I don't know to what point it looks really "ghostly"...
As I won't have greenstuff for a couple of days I can't sculpt, so I've been forced to paint. I know it isn't too much, but her I have Magnus Blade:
med_gallery_92948_12550_422368.jpg
I'm not fully convinced about the final result, maybe I should make the black pupil thinner...

Noooo. Don't make the pupil thinner. Atm it is at a state between eye and a morbol http://orig09.deviantart.net/6d2e/f/2016/272/9/f/the_malboro__molbol_morbol__final_fantasy_by_darkoss002-daja2bw.png

Which is kinda awesome

That's creepy and awesome!

I see the eye but I also see a maw with teeth which adds to the creepy level.

Thanks, the maw thing was also intended, as he's the Daemon Primarch of Tzeentch, the god of change, it seemed appropriate for him to be quite weird :P.

Looks good though I think a little tidy up would take it better. Shaping the pupil more I think is what it needs as the middle bits seem to be slightly longer and could do with a more defined curve, more of an () shape if that helps.

Yup, I totally agree and this afternoon I'll try to fix it, the curve is a bit irregular on the superior part.

Excellent paint work so far on the eye. I agree that it would look better if the pupil was a bit thinner, but it still looks great as it is now. The flames are also looking amazing, I really like the color tones.

I don't think that I'll make it thinner but yes more defined. Thanks for the kind compliments, I'm quite happy myself with how the HoS colour scheme is blending with the red of Magnus the Red ;).

wow, that eye is looking quite striking! Sweet!

thats a propper demon lord

Thanks! A proper demon lord should not miss the to Hit rolls when firing D strength powers thought!

Noooo. Don't make the pupil thinner. Atm it is at a state between eye and a morbol

Which is kinda awesome

I won't make it thinner but it does need some touching up. Also it is actually inspired in the Corinthian, from Sandman and, obviously, the Eye of Sauron, but that Morbol thing gives me the creeps, could be a cool concept for a chaos conversion...

So... I am working on the interior of Magnus wing and hope to finish it today, as well as fixing a bit the eye/ mouth/ fiery ball of the blade, but it is a slow process. Also with some luck greenstuff will arrive (though I would bet for tomorrow) and I will be able to do some sculpting again. Just being a weekend without it has made me seen that I'm a greenstuff addict and how difficult life is without it :P... Also I'm thinking on how should I do Magnus horns and I literally have no idea, they look like they're too curved to be highlighted but also too big to be left in plain colours and seem like a quite difficult surface to do blending... I've seen one in the Warhammer Community that has painted them like ram horns, but I'm not to sure about that idea and, additionally I don't know in what colour should I paint it, grey, black, white, bone? Any idea would be appreciated!

Wow that magic filter was a head trip, as for the blade maybe a small darker black slit on the eye but I love it as it is great work.

-Noctem

Thanks, as well as fixing the upper part I've tried enlightening the pupil, so here is how it looks right now:

med_gallery_92948_12550_48773.jpg

I kind of like it but I don't know if it looks too bright now, it should be quite easy to re paint it in black or just make it a bit darker so feel free to express your opinion on it!

How about you keep the horns the same color as the bone on the shoulder pad and paint the tribal tattoos you were thinking about before on the horns?

Actually that is a great idea, will surely try it out and see how it goes, thanks brother!

So at the end greenstuff didn't arrive today, so I'm still suffering from abstinence syndrome, but on the other hand I had enough time to finish the wing interior:

gallery_92948_12550_828441.jpg

You might find it familiar as the glyph idea has been shamelessly copied from the fantastic HooY's project log, so the credit for that goes to him. I know that the OSL could be smoother, but I'm happy overall with how it looks and hope to get a similar effect on the other wing (also just half of the feathers to go!!!). To get some rest from the wings I'll probably paint the horns next, but I might get distracted if the greenstuff FINALLY arrives tomorrow (maybe I should see a doctor to deal with my addiction), after all Blood Bowl teams don't sculpt themselves!

Still looking good and blessed by the warp!

Loving how that green looks on black.

Thanks, I also like a lot how the green and the black look together (and thus the army colour scheme ;))!

The glyphs look stellar! Do you post anywhere else for stuff like your blood bowl team? Also hope your GS arrives soon.

Actually I'm not posting anywhere else right now, I've thought about creating a blog for all of my work a couple of times but most of my efforts are power armour related anyways and I don't know if I would get tired of having to post things in two different places... However I have an eldar corsair project on hold and may have to open a blog if I ever get to restart it (GW is keeping all of my attention on chaos right now though). And yes, greenstuff did arrive today!!!

The eye looks great I think it works as good as it will get. That wing looks super spooky, I love the effect makes it actually look otherworldly.

-Noctem

Thanks, otherworldly is what I went for! Also glad that you like the eye better now.

So I realised it's been some time since I last posted an full image of Magnus and he's starting to come together now that the wing is done:

gallery_92948_12550_292975.jpg

I'm quite proud of him, he might very well be my best model to date!

On another topic... GREENSTUFF ARRIVED!!! I feel much better now knowing I have sculpting material in my hobby cupboard... :tongue.:

So I couldn't stop myself from doing something and this happened:

sml_gallery_92948_12550_57483.jpgsml_gallery_92948_12550_544877.jpg

I'm press molding the Kakophoni weapons (I loved the unit so bought them years ago but they had be resting primed in a box ever since) to be used as sonic blasters for my Requiem Sect marines. I know there are some imperfections but I'll fix them when greenstuff has dried. However with my new policy of magnetising every damn thing in my army the idea was to be able to use this with regular marines, but this happened when I tried to fit the original piece with blue-tac:

med_gallery_92948_12550_138043.jpgmed_gallery_92948_12550_204281.jpg

As you see one of the hands doesn't fits... I'm not sure on how I will tackle this issue, as my initial idea was for them to hold the sonic blasters like the heavy bolters from BoP, but it obviously isn't going to work so, while it isn't perfect, I'm thinking of carving a hole for their hands to fit in... What do you guys think? Any other ideas? I'm quite set on being able to exchange every weapon in the army but maybe this just isn't doable, I also have some 40k Noise Marines with sonic weaponry lying around, maybe I should leave this alone and try those? I just love the Kakophoni weapons though...

HOLY SWEET EMPEROR'S BEARD! THAT MAGNUS!!!! incredible work man I love how well you've managed to go In a completely different direction from what's normally seen with magnus while keeping him still identifiable as Magnus. Both the subtle changes you've made to the model and the paint job are top notch you've definitely got a center piece for the army now I'd say. As for the sonic weapons handles I personally would build handles using styrene rods and strips in a similar fashion to the handles on the BOP heavy bolters. Keep up the awesome work brother!!

Archived