That gs work is brilliant! very crisp, smooth and clean. cant wait to see them finished

Thanks, I vowed them for the August Arena, so hope to finish them before the month ends...

@ Pyroclast: Thanks brother, the army may be large... ly unpainted :( so really need to focus on finishing things for a while!

@ Vairocannum: Aquila?! Where? I don't know what head you mean, but I don't like having too many top knots and I already have one in the squad...

Sorry for being so slow, but even in summer vacation I'm getting overloaded with things to do... First all my IB internal assessments must be developed through the summer, second I'm spending a lot of time with ZBrush (far too much actually) and third I'm developing a mobile app with a friend to calculate warhammer thingies... So my hobby time is still limited. But I managed to get six backpacks done (want to do another six for my other squad before I prime and paint them).

gallery_92948_12550_521790.jpg

I think the backpacks gave them the power armour look they were missing, so really happy with them.

Also, I've asked a friend who knows how to photograph if he could take some pics of my Magnus, and is going to do it later today, but until then I leave you with this two bits:

med_gallery_92948_12550_733881.jpgmed_gallery_92948_12550_729576.jpg

Expect more later!

I meant MK7 Aquila armor (so the "regular" space marine head), I think it looks considerably less chaos than the others in my opinion, but after some paint I'm sure it'll look fine. Alternatively you could try to sculpt a half skull on the face plate like you did with the MKIII heads. Loving the water effects on Magnus, looking forward to those pictures.

Great sculpting in the chaos marines.

What did you use for your liquid? I once tried to make something lime that and it ended up really weird.

Thanks Mikhal, for the liquid I used the old GW water effect, I still have one from when they made them (long time ago, but I been in this hobby since I was seven :P), as those things are pretty large and, before my HoS, I didn't use it much. I've read pretty bad things about GW water effect when I did some research on how to make swampy bases, but I've had no problem with it so far. As for ending up really weird, I'll just say that the desk in where I based Magnus is now all shiny, sticky and watery-looking.

Thats magnus is something!

Thanks, then you'll like this post!

That magnus is absolutely stunning!

Thank brother!

I meant MK7 Aquila armor (so the "regular" space marine head), I think it looks considerably less chaos than the others in my opinion, but after some paint I'm sure it'll look fine. Alternatively you could try to sculpt a half skull on the face plate like you did with the MKIII heads. Loving the water effects on Magnus, looking forward to those pictures.

Oh, I see, I must admit I don't know that well the name of each PA mark, only the numbers, specially of those after the Heresy. In the pictures it doesn't really show up, but I sculpted half of it to look like it the helmet had broken and you could see the skull beneath (I feel like I don't reinforce the undead theme enough on my HoS), hope that it will be more noticeable when it's painted.

Well, the moment has arrived, the largest thing I've ever painted and the favourite model of my collection so far, MAGNUS THE RED (or the black, in this case):

https://youtu.be/YofwTcGgDMk

med_gallery_92948_12550_420627.jpgmed_gallery_92948_12550_280346.jpgmed_gallery_92948_12550_453118.jpgmed_gallery_92948_12550_410712.jpg

You can look at the other images in the video with higher resolution and with more time here:

med_gallery_92948_12550_427553.jpgmed_gallery_92948_12550_523109.jpgmed_gallery_92948_12550_180204.jpgmed_gallery_92948_12550_254423.jpgmed_gallery_92948_12550_254423.jpg

med_gallery_92948_12550_137987.jpgmed_gallery_92948_12550_36436.jpgmed_gallery_92948_12550_280402.jpg

So this has been a very rewarding project, but also a very consuming one, the biggest model I've ever finished (have a half painted knight). I'm really proud about it and hope to play it a lot (the word has spread through my opponents that he's overpowerd, so they won't be very happy about this, but I just believe that they hadn't the right tool to deal with him and didn't know hot to manage it, so they'll get used to it :P). I will now try and focus to make a painted and good looking army, not just some cool models here and there, very inspired by recent pictures of Thamier's Balefire Legion. I'll start with 12 marines, and from there on I'll be making expansions like "biker expansion" (which would consists of 4 unit of Bikers and a biker HQs), "rapax expansion" (4 units of rapaxes and two jet-pack HQs) or "Requiem expansion" (which would be some more marines and Sonic Weapon options for everyone). Those are the first three that I've planned, but what else would you guys like to see? Maybe a vehicle expansion? Or an Unsettled one? If there is a Sect that you would like to see fleshed out now is the moment to speak!

That's one of the if not THE BEST looking Magnus I've ever seen absolutely astounding work brother that's definitely a center piece model to be proud of. I'd love to see you do some more vehicles personally Dreadnoughts of any pattern are a favorite of mine whatever you choose I'm sure it'll be awesome keep up the killer work man!!!!

Oh mna, I haven't checked this thread for far too long and I regret it.

First off, your sculpted truescale marines look very good for a first try. Sure, the legs are a bit disproportioned, but that may be mitigated somewhat if you put them on bigget bases. The level of detail hou managed to sculpt on them is impressive, to say the least.

Your recent work creating menacing looking VSM from chaos warriors is without a doubt some of the best Ive seen to dat. LorgarXVII had some cool ones, and your certainly match his. :tu:

But the prize for most inspired recent conversion lately is that chaos chosen horse to bike conversion. That thing is amazing - what a cool conversion!!!

Dam magnus looks epic! I would defo get some pics of him sent off to gw/white dwarf ;-)

Thanks, glad you like him, but WD is quite picky with photos, and I would need a much better camera and a much better lighting set-up.

That's one of the if not THE BEST looking Magnus I've ever seen absolutely astounding work brother that's definitely a center piece model to be proud of. I'd love to see you do some more vehicles personally Dreadnoughts of any pattern are a favorite of mine whatever you choose I'm sure it'll be awesome keep up the killer work man!!!!

Thanks brother, I'm flattered. I know about your love for dreadnoughts, and when I started this army and you suggested the same thing I told you about the Gashadoki, the Castellax-based robots that the Harvesters of Souls used as a "replacement" for dreadnoughts. Well, I actually bought two Castellax, and have one of them half assembled, but it's a project that will most likely be on hold until I get to play Age of Darkness again or we get more rules for Dark Mechanicus or FW Ad Mech. However I have an old painted Dark Vengance brute that I got as part of a deal and I may fix and clean him up if I make a Requiem expansion with some  sonic weaponry to use as a Sonic Dreadnought...

looks magnificent dude.

Thanks!

Nice pics of Magnus! As for expansions, I agree 100% with Pyro, would love to see some dreadnoughts from you in the HoS style! Also a primarch model this year would be awesome (either 30k or 40k) :wink: .

Thanks Vairo, see my answer to Pyroclast about dreadnoughts and, about my primarch, he might come this year, specially if the new Mortarion gets some cool rules, as I might feel too tempted to make a 40k Virgultur that I can use as a count-as.

Oh mna, I haven't checked this thread for far too long and I regret it.

First off, your sculpted truescale marines look very good for a first try. Sure, the legs are a bit disproportioned, but that may be mitigated somewhat if you put them on bigget bases. The level of detail hou managed to sculpt on them is impressive, to say the least.

Your recent work creating menacing looking VSM from chaos warriors is without a doubt some of the best Ive seen to dat. LorgarXVII had some cool ones, and your certainly match his. :thumbsup:

But the prize for most inspired recent conversion lately is that chaos chosen horse to bike conversion. That thing is amazing - what a cool conversion!!!

Glad you like the work I've done lately, I know I have some issues with finishing projects, so it is not an easy thread to keep up with, but I'm really trying to fix that.  Truescale marines were cool to make, but they are too much work to make a full army, so I don't see myself making too many of them except for Shadow Wars. I'm quite proud with my CSM myself, though the connection of the arms to the body is a bit lacking, I had never heard about LorgarXVII ones though, does he have a bread in B&C? And I'm glad to know that you like my converted bikes, I have 5 Chaos Knights and 2 other chaosy horses from the Start Collecting: Slaves to Darkness, so I will most probably make two three man biker units and a biker character with that bike pattern, they're one of the expansions that I've planned for my army.

Thanks for the replies guys, they surely keep me motivated! Magnus is now at the showcase of my local GW here in Madrid, so if you ever pass by and visit the Bernabeu stadium you can walk five minutes (the store is a couple of streets away) and see him :P. That way I don't have to transport him every time I want a game, as he's pretty difficult to move, and more people see him and I get some advertisement, while the store manager is more than happy to have cool models showcased, so it's a win win for everyone!

I've been tirelessly working on my CSM, while also learning how to use ZBrush and preparing IB internal assessments, so it's been some busy days, but I've finished the six-man squad that I vowed for the August Arena (actually I still need to apply water effect, but it won't change the model much...)!

http://i.imgur.com/J7hoc5N.jpg

On another note I started using Imgur, as I discovered that the B&C gallery was messing with my photo quality, so hope that those have improved at least a bit! I'm really happy with how this have turned out, I believe they capture quite well the look I was going after, you can recognise them as followers of Malal and the death motif is very present. However I don't know if some additinal white parts might look better. I know that the traditional Malal warband, the Sons of Malice (which I have adapted as a Sect), have a quartered pattern, but I really don't like those (halved patterns neither) and want to keep my models more black than white. As they have almost no trims though (which are the parts that I usually paint white), I don't know if they're too dark, which is something that I thought that I would never say about my army...

http://i.imgur.com/jvHdXsf.jpg

The cloaks are the other thing I'm not too sure about, I went for a fairly simple freehand, but maybe a black to white transition would look better? I'm very interested in your opinion on this guys, so please say any ideas you have!

http://i.imgur.com/7vtH3oG.jpg

I like a lot how the champion turned out, and think that I'm satisfied with the power effect on the axe and will try to maintain it for further power weapons in the army. As the heads are one of the most characterful parts of a model I tried to convert them all and, to make present the undead nature of the legion, I tried out making some bare skull parts, but don't know if they're that recognisable, maybe the closed helmets look better? Also I know the freehand on the banner isn't mind-shattering, but I'm trying to learn how to make this kind of things, instead of just pattern-like freehands.

Hope you like them guys, and any opinions will be welcome! 

These are epic, saw then on the challenge thread but wanted to see the extra pics. I think these are perfect the way they are and don't need anything adding to them. The banner and helmets are top notch, can't wait to see what you do next

Brilliant paint jobs Traitor! Love the dark paint scheme, like its absorbing all the light around them! I think they look amazing as is, and adding lighter colors wouldn't look as nice. Really like the standard bearer, especially his head. Your ideas for the dreadnought sound cool, and really hoping Mortarion gets some good rules so we can finally see your primarch! Looking forward to seeing what else you make!

Those paint jobs are top notch man I really love the paint scheme you've chosen for this army it really gives it the ghostly feel it should have. And I almost forgot about your dark mechanicus robots idea im very interested to see how that turns out as I've been considering doing dark mechanicus allied to my rearguard death guard Keep up the awesome work man

These are epic, saw then on the challenge thread but wanted to see the extra pics. I think these are perfect the way they are and don't need anything adding to them. The banner and helmets are top notch, can't wait to see what you do next

Thanks a lot brother! Next I have to do another six marines, and I think I have more or less sorted out a plan to follow for my next projects.

Brilliant paint jobs Traitor! Love the dark paint scheme, like its absorbing all the light around them! I think they look amazing as is, and adding lighter colors wouldn't look as nice. Really like the standard bearer, especially his head. Your ideas for the dreadnought sound cool, and really hoping Mortarion gets some good rules so we can finally see your primarch! Looking forward to seeing what else you make!

Haha, thanks, I hope Mortarion gets cool rules too :tongue.:! That kind of darkness is what I was aiming for, but I still want them to be recognisable as Malal followers, otherwise they would look too much like Raven Guard or Iron Hands.

They look so goos.especially the freehand and the glowing effects are top notch. Should have asked you concerning the fur before I painted mine. Would have improved things a lot.

Thanks brother, the fur is probably the simplest thing of the whole model, as it only involves three colours and a simple technique. I simply drybrused dawnstone (light grey) over the black priming colour, and then ceramite white over the grey, I know it doesn't have much deepness, but I wanted for it to be as light as possible to contrast with the models.

Those paint jobs are top notch man I really love the paint scheme you've chosen for this army it really gives it the ghostly feel it should have. And I almost forgot about your dark mechanicus robots idea im very interested to see how that turns out as I've been considering doing dark mechanicus allied to my rearguard death guard Keep up the awesome work man

Thanks a lot, ghostly is a high praise for the Harvesters :tongue.:! Dark Mechanicum are always fun to make, I have an slightly converted Skitarii/ AdMech army of them, but I would wait a bit to start one if I were you, there have been some rumours of a release and they even got teaser rules on the FW Index! I think that the Gashadoki will wait, but the Sonic Dread will be coming soon.

Very nice! Great minis and you are still putting on great paint jobs! The free hand on the capes and the half paint skulls on helm are fantastic.

Thanks Hushrong, I have practiced a lot those kind of simple freehands over the years, but now I want to be able to do more complex things, so will have to try and do them more....

Damn, those are some nice marines. I don't think I've seen the warriors->csm conversions done so well

Thanks a lot, the kit isn't that difficult to convert from one to another and, even though they're now pretty old, I'll always have a soft spot for Chaos Warriors, they were one of the first units I ever painted and still look badass in my opinion!

So, bases for the first unit are done, the water effect is dry and I declare the squad complete:

http://i.imgur.com/cJ83ui8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/BeY7mlr.jpg

As said before, I'm happy with the unit, now I just need and army painted like this!

http://i.imgur.com/NMwfYWq.jpg

But don't worry, for I have already started painting the next unit:

http://i.imgur.com/pyfvJpA.jpg

They're still in early WIP stages, but they're already taking shape. The conversions on these are actually worse than on the last ones, as they were the first I made and still wasn't sure about what I was going for (some even have trims in the armour, so I'll see how some extra white looks on them), but I hope they'll look decent enough when finished.

In other news, I've also made a list of what I'll be doing next for a long time (actual models are highlighted, the rest are just bits that I'll make because I magnetise my whole army):

Sons of Malice Expansion

- 3 CSM shooting
- 1 Icon of vengeance
- 1 Chaos Character
- 3 plasma guns
- 3 melta guns
- 3 lascannons
- 3 autocannons
- 6 weaponless hands
Requiem Expansion
- Sonic Dreadnought
- 12 Sonic Blasters
- 3 Sonic Blasters + combi-bolter
- 3 Blastmasters
- 3 Doom Sirens
- 15 Requiem heads
- 3 Icons of Excess
Unsettled Expansion
- 10 raptors
- 1 jump pack character
- 10 twin lightning claws
- 10 Draugar Heads
- 6 plasma pistols
- 4 plasma guns
Riders of the Apocalypse Expansion
- 6 bikers 
- 1 biker character
- 4 melta guns
- 2 combi-meltas
Unsettled Expansion
- 10 raptors
- 1 jump pack character
- 10 twin lightning claws
- 10 Draugar Heads
- 6 plasma pistols
- 4 plasma guns
Riders of the Apocalypse Expansion
- 6 bikers 
- 4 melta guns
- 2 combi-meltas
Core Expansion 
- 15 CSM CC
- 3 icons of vengeance
- 3 power weapons
- 3 backpack Sons of Malice icons
Unsettled Expansion 
- 2 rhinos?
- 15 Chainaxes
- 15 Draugar Heads
- 3 icons of wrath
- 15 Draugar backpacks

So, as you can see, it is a pretty ambitious list, but it is just some guidelines for me to follow based on what I have unassembled, what I'm playing most this days and what ai think that would look cool. The list will probably change with the time as my 8th edition play style develops (the Chaos Codex will probably change it a lot), but I'll just add things here and there. Also the lower the expansion is the most likely it is to change somehow or completely disappear, as I've tried to order them in priority scale. I hope to chew through it as fast as possible, as most of the list are bits of wargear and such, but my time is scarce, so who knows how much it'll be...

I love your Magnus repose so much. I simply can't express how much. The paintjob is fitting as well. Really nice work.

As for the new CSM, I LOVE THEM! Some of my very first conversion attempts were based around chaos warriors and csm bits but they didn't look as natural and fitting as yours. Now I have to include at least one unit into my Black Legion. Simply awesome.

Magnus is oustanding, very good job on making him more dynamic and the dark red skin is far better than the GW version. Personal favourite is the green glow around the symbols on the wings.

Those CSM are great, too. The monochrome palette punctuated by accents of ghostly green and their own individual flourishes (skull mask for example) works really well.

Archived