Absolutely fantastic work brother I was skeptical about the metallic black idea when I first read it but this is fantastic your making me truly jealous I haven't been able to afford a copy of BOP yet as well ;) so far your scheme looks really good and I think it we'll give a really nice ghostly wraith like vibe on the table and I think it will look really nice on your vehicles. Which brings me to my next point is your legion going to utilize dreadnoughts? I'm curious 1. because I live dreadnoughts and I think everyone should have some ;) 2.because after reading your fluff it seems the typical use for a Dreadnought as walking life support would be unnecessary, would being put in a Dreadnought sarcophagus perhaps be voluntary or something or like the elite of your legions elite? Just thoughts ;) keep up the amazing work I can't wait to see more of these fellas painted.

Absolutely fantastic work brother I was skeptical about the metallic black idea when I first read it but this is fantastic your making me truly jealous I haven't been able to afford a copy of BOP yet as well ;) so far your scheme looks really good and I think it we'll give a really nice ghostly wraith like vibe on the table and I think it will look really nice on your vehicles. Which brings me to my next point is your legion going to utilize dreadnoughts? I'm curious 1. because I live dreadnoughts and I think everyone should have some ;) 2.because after reading your fluff it seems the typical use for a Dreadnought as walking life support would be unnecessary, would being put in a Dreadnought sarcophagus perhaps be voluntary or something or like the elite of your legions elite? Just thoughts ;) keep up the amazing work I can't wait to see more of these fellas painted.

Thanks a lot! But I'm sorry to tell you that no, the II legion will have no dreadnoughts, as it was on of the sanctions given to them in the Edict of Konstanople, to avoid them having an even longer lifespawn. Though maybe, just maybe, I could do Sentenced dreadnoughts from before Virgultur was discovered and the legion hadn't yet become undead, who still battle with their brothers (now that I think about it, that could be pretty awesome). That said they'll have something similar, the Gashadokii, the most talented soldiers of the legion whose body has been ruined beyond repair but, instead of being finally killed by a Sentencer, their souls have been bound to a Castellax-based battle automata instead of their body so they can still help their brothers in battle. It's similar but not the same, as even though Gashadokii are stronger, dreadnoughts have more control over their body and are more resilient.

That's exactly why I ask I was wondering which route you'd go I'm glad to hear dreads haven't been completely ruled out. One option that came to me as I was pondering the subject was maybe you could have the dreadnoughts be powered by the trapped souls of legionaires in a similar fashion to the the way Eldar vehicles work with some kind of spirit stone or they could be controlled like the automata in prospero burns. Either way just ideas ;) I think the Gashadokii will be pretty awesome too you could go as far as to run Mechanicum Allies who dabble with forbidden tech which would add to the reasons for the fall of the legion as well as give you a lot more units to play with.

That's exactly why I ask I was wondering which route you'd go I'm glad to hear dreads haven't been completely ruled out. One option that came to me as I was pondering the subject was maybe you could have the dreadnoughts be powered by the trapped souls of legionaires in a similar fashion to the the way Eldar vehicles work with some kind of spirit stone or they could be controlled like the automata in prospero burns. Either way just ideas :wink: I think the Gashadokii will be pretty awesome too you could go as far as to run Mechanicum Allies who dabble with forbidden tech which would add to the reasons for the fall of the legion as well as give you a lot more units to play with.

More than than the Eldar spirit stones it will be like when the Dark Mechanicum binds a demon to a machine. Kind of a possession. And about allying them... No, the Gashadokii will be guided to battle by the leader of the Necrontinus, the Chief Necrontian, wich will use the rules of a praevian.

Also, I did a story about my test model, Sergeant Primio Hashur, regarding the first Death-ritual of Rebirth:

Test Mini art

Story: Primio Hashur

Primio was anxious, he didn't knew what was going to happen next. He was in huge subterranean chamber surrounded by thousands of his brothers. It was dimly lit by a big circular lamp on the ceiling at the center of the ritual chamber, producing long shadows from each of the legionaries. They were under one of the temples of Messis, a monumental construction made of black granite and adorned with obsidian, revealing the volcanic origin of the planet, thousands of millions years ago. He felt something that he believed that could be what the humans called “fear”, a sensation he hadn't felt for the past year, when he was given the gene-seed of the legion. At that time he had thought he would die soon, so he fought side by side with his brothers seeking glory in battle, but now he wasn't so sure. Virgultur, his father, had promised them all that he would heal them, that he would save them from their curse.

“What are we waiting for?” Asked Haled, one of his fellow legionnaires. They were also nervous.

“What is he doing?” Said Ferregh, referring to the primarch, who was standing at the centre of the chamber surrounded by the legion Librarius, babbling words that no one understood.

As their sergeant, he felt that it was his duty to calm them:

“Don't worry, I’m sure our father knows what he is doing” he said, not sounding very convinced himself.

“Does the Emperor know about this? It seems… it seems like witchcraft” whispered Ferregh, who seemed to be the most nervous of all his squad.

“How can you even ask that?” Answered Dolorian “I'm sure the Emperor is very aware of what is being done here, our father is very close to him”. At least he seemed to have faith on Virgultur.

“You… you must be right” finally said Ferregh, though Primio was sure he still had doubts, probably all of them had. What if what they were doing now wasn't authorised? Ferregh was right, it did seem like witchcraft.

When he was thinking about this something changed in the air, a weird sensation got over him and the whispered words of his father turned into powerful shouts. A green light was now coming from him, brighter than the one of the ceiling. A heavy silence fell over the underground chamber. Now all the legionaries, the remains of II Legion, the Sentenced, were expectantly watching Virgultur. His father started floating above the ground, with wings of light that were now sprouting from his back. He sure was a majestic sight in his shining black armour with skull-shaped plates. Primio nervously stared at his brothers, feeling the strange sensation even stronger.

Then, a powerful shockwave came from Virgultur, throwing them all in the air… where he found himself floating. He felt light, too light to be wearing a power armour. Then he saw his body. It was lying on the ground, under him. He was out of his body, he stared at his hand and saw that he could see through it… Was this the salvation that Virgultur had promised? Was he now a body-less spirit? He saw that the other legionnaires bodies also laid on the ground, seemingly dead, but he couldn't see their ethereal bodies, or souls, or whatever he was supposed to be, floating above their bodies. Was this only happening to him? Maybe he was just asleep or had passed over due to the ritual and this was just a delirious dream? Then he felt a new power, different of the last one, less alien, more familiar, and he felt that he was being drawn to his corpse. He entered his own body and felt again control over his limbs, though he felt strange, like if his body didn't completely fit him and, also, something was missing. He felt dizzy and couldn't concentrate… what had happened? Surely something had changed, he felt it. He heard moans of the waking legionnaires all around him, he was reassured to see that he wasn't the only one, and some even tried to get up, most of them falling again. Then he realised what was missing… His heart wasn't beating. And soon he saw that he wasn't breathing either, and his body was losing warmth. Was he dying? Had his father doomed them all? This had surely felt like the witch rituals that the Emperor had told them all to be cautious about.

Then it hit him, the unthinkable had happened, Virgultur had disobeyed his father. He knew what his primarch had done before joining the Empire, he had grown up hearing his legends, he remembered that he had battled the xenos monsters that inhabited Messis at the head of an army of undead, created through dark arts by the evil Necrophants, who had then taught their secrets to Virgultur and, for this, the Emperor had reprimed him and tried to teach him how to use his psychic abilities in a good way, but he had obviously failed… Virgultur had again rose an army of undeads, and he, Primio Hashur, sergeant of the Swamp Riders, was part of it.

His feelings were controversial. On one side he realised that his father had saved them, if they were dead they couldn't die again because of their genetical affliction, but in the process he may have also doomed them, as the Emperor might destroy the Legion for this. At least he wasn't a mindless corpse controlled by Virgultur as the ones that the stories told, or so he thought, but he knew his father, he wouldn't do that to them.

He finally found the strength to stand up, as most of the dizziness had gone away, though his own body still felt strange to him. He saw Virgultur, who laid in the floor in the center of the chamber. He clumsily walked towards him, part angered because he had not told him what he was going to do, part worried that they were all going to die, part full of hope that they will survive at the end.

When he reached him, others were already around him. He recognised Reus Ghortan, the First Captain and Makke Haasan, the Chief Librarian. He was really shocked by what he saw.

Virgultur was crying.

Quick question. I'm now building a squad of Sisters of Silence and have decided to build them with swords. Apart from changing their pose is there any other cool conversion that you can think of that would fit my army? I've thought on making their masks cover half their face and give them more hair but thats it. Any idea will be appreciated!

what are there roles gonna be fluff wise? I would definitely do the death masks and hair. Have you considered making the swords special maybe building bolt pistols or inferno pistols into the hilts sorta like the custodians swords?

what are there roles gonna be fluff wise? I would definitely do the death masks and hair. Have you considered making the swords special maybe building bolt pistols or inferno pistols into the hilts sorta like the custodians swords?

Their supposed to watch over the legion to guarantee that their rituals aren't used for the wrong purposes. They also make sure that the members of the Necrontinus only manifest their powers to raise their brother and nothing else. Basically they fulfil the same purpose that when the Emperor sends the Adeptus Custodes to watch over the Word Bearers after Monarchia.

then I would definitely go with a combination type weapon like I mentioned but maybe use volkite attached to close combat weapons. Except go with volkite my thinking being that the custodians guardian spears/swords for the bill pretty well as a purpose built weapon for killing legionaires, but since your legionaires are of the more resilient variety they'd require a little something extra. CHOOM I think this would make for some pretty cool conversion opportunities and depending on your opponent some cool experimental weapons. I'd also consider doing something else with there armour maybe something to help protect them from the powers of the Necrontinus either some kind of shield generators or maybe even physical shields? you could go that route as well give them all combat shields with volkite similar to that in the chest of the ursurax? but built into the shields then give them exotic ccws meant for permanently killing things that are already dead.

Had quite a productive day, so lots of things to share:

First, I finished the two remaining Hands of Doom, so here they are:

Hand of Doom sergeant

Hand of Doom sergeant cape

This is the sergeant of the unit, whose pose I haven´t  modified as the taunting look that it has is waaay too cool.

Hand of Doom 4 1

Hand of Doom 4 2

Hand of Doom 4 cape

This is the second chain fist of the unit, which is in a more dynamic pose.

Hands of Doom

Hands of Doom capes

So here is the whole squad, finally! The cloaks have been a pain to sculpt and the surfaces are rougher than I would like ,but overall I´m pretty satisfied with the result. Now I just need another five and a Caestus Assault Ram to transport them!
They will be painted in white with black bones and cloaks, just the opposite of the usual scheme. 

Second, I´ve also built the 5 Sisters of Silence, they were so cool that they just kept me in the table modelling them. At the end I didn´t convert them much, they are already great models and don´t need anything else, though I was really tempted by the idea of @Pyroclast91 of giving them choom shields, but I rejected it because it would have given too much bulk to the model in my opinion, while they´re supposed to be more slender and gracile. I did give them some more hair though, not just the ponytails, also made their mask cover half their face and, of course, made some reposing, as they come in quite dull poses in the box:

SoS 1

SoS 3

The first one was inspired on Sigismund of the Imperial Fists, with the sword on the side and an arm extended to the front, like if she was in a challenge, ready to strike.

SoS 2

This one is the classic pointing figure: "Watch out, that´s a witch!"

SoS 4

The intention on this one was to make it seem that it was rising its sword with both hands over its shoulder to vanquish an opponent, but I must admit that I´m not fully convinced about it.

SoS 5

The conversion on this one was really simple, just flexing the leg to make it stand on a rock, but I think that it looks much cooler.

SoS 6

SoS 6

This one is the sergeant of the squad, holding the sword by its cross. The pointing hand had to be replaced, as I already had a pointy finger on the unit, but I´m pretty satisfied with the results, the severed heads (from the saurian warriors of the lizardmen) fitting quite well the undead theme.

SoS close-up

This is a close up of the hair and the modified masks.

Sisters of Silence

They are cool models, but they are made to be put in very fixed poses, so converting them wasn´t as easy as I expected. At the end everything turned out right though, hopefully they´ll get some paint soon.

Well, I managed to do even more progress today, so here it goes, three new Cremators, completing the unit:

Cremator 4

Cremator 3

Cremator sergeant

The poses are quite basic, but when you´re burning people with an overpreassured flamer, you´re burning people with an overpreassured flamer so, except the sergeant, I´ve made all of them to be shooting (and the sergeant is telling them to shoot so...).

Cremators 1

Cremators 2

They somehow remind me to the ghostbusters...

So quite a day, I finished three 5 man squads! Maybe tormorrow I´ll start the Soul Eaters.

Yesterday I based all I´ve done so far, but wasn´t able to post ot because I had to go to the Amon Amarth concert! So here they´re:

Hands of Doom basing

Ghortan basing

Cremators basing

SoS basing

I´ll go and get them primed now and this afternoon I´ll start painting them, most probably the Hands of Doom, though Ghortan is also very tempting...

As promised this morning, did some painting this afternoon and finished a test Hand of Doom:

Hand of Doom test 4

Hand of Doom test 1

Hand of Doom test 3

Hand of Doom test 2

What do you think about it? I´m thinking of doing some freehand on the cape, but I´m not sure if it´s best to keep it simple. 

Also water hasn´t still been added to the base, I´ll leave it drying tonight.

Thanks a lot. The painting look may be because of the horrible quality of my photos, I should definitely buy a better camera... About the colours, I'm actually enjoying a lot painting this way, just black and white with some green in focal parts.

I'm currently painting Ghortan, but he'll take more to finish because he has more details, will post photos when he's done.

Love the terminators, I'm jealous of you're green stuffing abilities.

Thanks man! I´m pretty proud myself with the Hands of Doom, such rough surfaces on the cloaks though... 

I managed to finish Ghortan today (base still drying...) so here are some pics:

Reus Ghortan 1

Reus Ghortan 2

Reus Ghortan 3

Reus Ghortan 4

I´m quite happy on how he´s turned out, almost all of him is on black and white, making the green look even brighter, which is exactly what I´m going for with this army.

This week I'm not having much time and I have to admit that this past three days I have painted nothing, but I managed to write a short story, the ideas won't stop coming!

Short Story: Istam Gharr

Istam entered the temple. The doors were made of black iron and obsidian, and weighed too much for a normal human to open. But Istam was no normal human, he was an Astartes, so he pushed with great strength and the door opened without sound. He walked inside, into a deep darkness in where not even his enhanced sight could see when the door closed behind him. He was in one of the Chambers of the Soul, deep within the Great Temple of Mausulon, where the Necrontians of the legion waited for him. But how could he reach them if he couldn't see?

It had been strange from the start, two weeks ago, when his Hour had arrived. It had been while he was training in the Palidae Terminus, a warship of the Harvesters of Souls fleet, that he had just faded for a minute or two, and had gone the Apothecarion, where they told him that his Hour had arrived, and that he had to travel to Messis. The Hour arrived to all the legionnaires of the II legion eventually, the energies that animated them were powerful, but not eternal, and there was a moment where they had to find their own way to prolong their lifes, for their primarch couldn't sustain all of his sons forever. This moment was the Hour, an event that no one who had not passed it knew much about, just that you had to travel to one of the Great Temples of Messis alone and make a choice that will change you forever.

Istam had traveled to Messis in a cargo ship, and after nine days in where he had faded several times, each for longer than before, going through the inconstant currents of the warp, had arrived to his homeworld, Messis. There he had gone to Mausulon, the planetary capital, where he had been born, and had entered the Great Temple. The upper parts were full of people, citizens that went there to seek the counsel of the Necrontians and give them their dead, and even some Astartes, members of the Necrontinus and new recruits of the legion. There he had talked to Namerus, a Necrontian who had instructed him what he had to do. “Go down, but never up”, he had said, “darkness will embrace you and you will hear the voice” he had told him high his guttural voice, “there, alone, your Hour will come and you'll make your choice”. He still didn't knew what choice he would make, even though he knew the options.

As he had gone deeper, there had been less living and more dead, until his only companions were the corpses in the niches of the walls, as the temples served as mausoleums for the cities as well as the house of the Necrontinus. And there he was, embraced by darkness, as Namerus had said, but he heard no sound and, certainly, no voices… Until he did.

“Istam Gharr” someone said far ahead. He was surprised by the sudden noise.

“Your Hour has arrived” the sound resounded in the walls, nearer, but he heard nothing that revealed that someone was coming.

Then, light came. It was bright green, and soon he saw that he was surrounded by it. He noticed, startled, that it came from the eye lenses of the power armour of nine Astartes that were in a circle around him. They wielded the symbols of the Necrontinus and white robes hung from their armours.

“The Triangular Path lays before you” one of them said.

“And you have to choose how you'll walk it” another mumbled, the sounds bouncing in the walls.

“There are three ways, each opposite to each other” a third figure spoke.

“The first is the Path of the Sleeper, the easiest one, but the shortest” the first Necrontian said.

“It is the Path of the ones which decide that they are of no more use to the legion and that their time to rest has arrived”

“The second is the Path of the Soul Eater, it’s way is full of blood and destruction, but is the only one that will give you life” said the second figure that had talked.

“It is the Path of those who want to keep alive at any cost, for those who want to fight forever”

“The third is the Path of the Lifeless, a difficult and steep one, but nevertheless an important one” the third spoke.

“It is the Path of those who accept that they're already dead and wish to continue so, but feel that they should keep serving the legion”

Silence. He had to choose. Istam didn't knew if he was ready for it.

“These is the Triangular Path” the three speakers, which had a more ornate armour and formed the corners of a triangle around him, said suddenly at the same time “You shall have two full days and two full nights to choose how you will walk it… your Hour has arrived and there is no way to escape it”

With some luck I'll be able to paint tonaight or tomorrow, but this is everything for now...

So, managed to finish the second Hand of Doom yesterday, base included:

Hand of Doom 2 4

Hand of Doom 2 3

Hand of Doom 2 2

Hand of Doom 2 1

More or less happy with him, I´m not totally satisfied with details like the scroll in the chest or the bones in the hand but I´m happy with the look that the unit is taking.

This weekend I´ll try to paint a Sister of Silence to try out colour schemes... What do you think that could look cool? do I keep in black, white and green or do I add something? Making their armours green could be interesting, or maybe I could go with red...

Ok so, as I said I finished my first SoS, which will now be called the Daughters of Hella, in the weekend, but the damn water effect in the  base didn´t dry till today:

Daughter of a Hella 1 1

Daughter of Hella 1 2

Daughter of Hella 1 3

Daughter of Hella 1 4

I´m more or less happy with her, being satisfied about evereything except the sword and its OSL... will try to do it better on the next one. On the other hand I like the tone of green I´ve got for the armour and the design of the cape.

Thanks a lot, I absolutely wanted no gold in this army, and the sisters weren't an exception, but I fear this week I won't make much progress on the legion as I have commission work to do. On the other side I've already ordered my chain axes (went for a kit from Puppets of War and two from Victoria Miniatures), so when they arrive I'll be able to finally assemble my two Marauder squads and the Soul Eaters one. Now I have to get some drop pods to convert into dreadclaws to carry them...

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, so it´s been a while... but I´m back! As I got tired of waiting for my chainaxes to arrive I decided to start building the Soul Eater unit, the followers of the second path, and have made some progress so far:

Soul Eaters 1&2

Soul Eater 1 1

Soul Eater 1 2

Soul Eater 2 1

Soul Eater 2 2

Soul Eater 2 3

They aren´t finished at all and still have some work left to be done (specially the one that is holding his axe with a single hand), but you can already see more or less the form they´re taking and I wanted to post something :tongue.: . I´m still not fully convinced on the "hoods", but they surely give them a different look which totally goes with what I´ve done so far for the legion. What do you think? I´m toatally open to recomendations with these so any comment will be welcome.

Okay, so the Soul Eaters are almost complete, but I've been distracted by other projects (received 20 cultist recently... now I have ten more dark mechanicum skitarii vanguards and ten cultists). But I had the time to make another short story, the continuation of the last one actually, which continues the story of Istam Gharr and the choice he made:

Short Story: Istam Gharr II

Istam was shaken violently by the impact when the Caestus Assault Ram in which he was seated crashed into the main tower of the hive-city. He removed his grav harness and stood up while the blasting charges in the door of his compartment exploded, opening it and making it bang with the floor. Quickly he and the other four Astartes got out, as did the ones at the parallel compartment of the ship, and soon they were standing in the middle of a stone chamber, with big coloured windows through which the light passed, giving a multicolor look to the room. It was also noticeable the big hole in the wall from which the square points of the Assault Ram protruded, the dust from the impact was still settling and the floor around it full of broken stone bricks.

They had been told that the tower was heavily defended, but the saw no one, just the ten of them stood silently in the room, staring each other and waiting for orders. They were the Hands of Doom, the elite of the legion, the pride of the the Harvesters of Souls, clad in a white and bulky Tartaros Pattern Terminator armour, with black bones painted over it and dark hoods and cloaks hanging from their shoulders. The only noise was the constant buzz of energy that came from their power fists.

“Move on” said Kane Thannus, the Banefist of the unit, their sergeant.

At the other side of the chamber was a wooden door, until someone shot it to pieces with a single round of bolter ammunition from their combi-weapon and it was no more.

Then it was hell. Lasgun shots started coming from the other side like a red glowing rain, missing their targets or bouncing harmlessly on their terminator armour. Istam followed the orders he had been given and moved on, towards the door, as did most of the others. Lasguns weren't a threat to them, their armours turned them into walking bulwarks, immune to most of the weapons carried by the enemies of mankind, and the shots that were able to go through their armour usually caused no damage, as they would find no flesh beneath. Istam had made that choice almost two years ago, and he still remembered vividly his journey to the Holy Temple of Maussulon, in Messis, where he had been turned into a Hand of Doom. He had passed a sinister ritual, where the member of the Necrontinus had destroyed his body and bound his soul to a new one, the armour in which he was walking. Now he was the armour, a spirit trapped into it until it was destroyed. That was the what he had chosen, to serve his legion after death. Twice.

He was remembering all this when he passed through the door and found himself in another stone room, with tall columns and a twisting stair at the other end, but they were not alone anymore. In front of them many figures stood beside improvised barricades made from wooden planks and metal bars, firing their lasguns. They wore a green uniform, just as all the other member of the militia of Cessear, the planet they were now fighting to bring to the light of the Emperor. Istam started firing the boltgun ammunition of his combi-weapon, reserving his limited plasma shots for more threatening targets, destroying barricades and killing militiamen with the mass-reactive ammo. Then he saw the flash o a heat ray and saw that brother Eliph’s armour had a big smoking hole, melted ceramite still flowing from the fissure, and Eliph’s lifeless body felt to the floor. A casualty. He quickly spotted the enemy that had shot him down, a militiaman who had a meltagun, a powerful weapon made to destroy heavily armoured vehicles and certainly capable of passing through their terminator armour, and saw that he was near him, hiding behind one of the pillars that rose to the roof. Istam started running towards him, firing his bolter on the run, and soon had him at arm reach. He saw fear in the face of the human, who hadn't realised what was coming towards him at the chaos of the battle, and tried to point his meltagun at him while he swung his power fist. Istam was faster. The fist impacted him at the side, sending him flying away to the other side of the chamber, falling to the floor lifeless and totally broken, splattered blood showing the way he had gone. Soon the Hands of Doom had annihilated the enemy, and the enemy started running away, leaving just corpses behind. He would have felt victorious, if he had not left the ability to feel almost two years ago at the same place that he had left his body… and his soul.

Archived