HOLY SWEET EMPEROR'S BEARD! THAT MAGNUS!!!! incredible work man I love how well you've managed to go In a completely different direction from what's normally seen with magnus while keeping him still identifiable as Magnus. Both the subtle changes you've made to the model and the paint job are top notch you've definitely got a center piece for the army now I'd say. As for the sonic weapons handles I personally would build handles using styrene rods and strips in a similar fashion to the handles on the BOP heavy bolters. Keep up the awesome work brother!!

Thanks a lot Pyro, though the subtlety of of the changes I've made to the model would be questionable ;)... He'll be a centrepiece when he is finished, yes, but I don't know when will that happen!

The BoP heavy bolter handles were also my original idea, but the Kakophoni Sonic Blaster are bigger with all the cables they have and they actually don't fit beneath the marine arms as they are, and I can't change the pose as the idea is for them to be interchangeable...

Dude, you're doing such an awesome, deeply dark paint job with Magnus. Impressive, most impressive.

Thanks brother, I do the best I can! About the dark paintjob... well dark is just my painting style this days :P!

So I kept modelling this afternoon and I have two press molded Kakophoni weapons already installed in my models:

med_gallery_92948_12550_381572.jpg

sml_gallery_92948_12550_139557.jpgsml_gallery_92948_12550_99554.jpg

As you see they're magnetised so that they can be exchanged for other weapons and even though right now they look a little dirty I'm confident they'll look better once they're primed and painted, based on previous greenstuff press molds... Though it might have been better if they had been holding it over the weapon I think that the hand-hole solution looks pretty decent while allowing me to romove them. Also I will try to sculp special heads for the Requiem as I did for the Hell Walkers, any ideas on how they could be? They're supposed to be eccentrical guys who are obsessed with trying new and weird weapons and oftenly end up dabbling with forbidden tech and dark powers, being the main source of heavy firepower of the legion. This guys are made to represent them after their fall to chaos so they can look as corrupted as I need, but I don't like excessive "Warp-Taint".

Also made a new CSM based on a chaos warrior, my plan right now is to make three 5 man-squads:

med_gallery_92948_12550_144028.jpgmed_gallery_92948_12550_180497.jpg

He is still missing some details, as covering the magnets of the wrist, a back pack and better sculpted arms, but I'm happy with him, the helmet is quite cool and I love the chest plate, a shame it is completely covered by the boltgun!

Also I finished magnetising the chaos icon guy, who can now have his banner exchanged for a MOAR DAKKA option:

med_gallery_92948_12550_284794.jpg

A shame that isn't actually an option...

So, to tomorrow I don't think I'll be able to make progress at all, but this weekend I have a game with my CSM in which I hope to get motivated to sculpt more and maybe even get some more paint on big M!

The CSM are looking great! For the requiem how about lots of wires running along their helmets with combat stimulant vials and maybe sculpted runes to represent the dark magic aspect? Not sure if you're planning on going with a more daemonic/sorcerous feel or a more technology oriented feel.

The CSM are looking great! For the requiem how about lots of wires running along their helmets with combat stimulant vials and maybe sculpted runes to represent the dark magic aspect? Not sure if you're planning on going with a more daemonic/sorcerous feel or a more technology oriented feel.

Thanks, I will probably go for a more technological look, so yes I will sculpt many wires and sensors. However sculpting runes and glyphs is kind of a good idea, maybe a mix of both could be cool.

So I had a game yesterday in which I tested the Emperor's Children again and... I was tabled by turn 5. I played a Rapture Battalion with a maxed out Kakophoni and a Raptor Talon and he played a double CAD of CSM and daemons in which he had two beatstick nurgle DM, two soul grinders, a heldrake, some obliterators, 2x10 cultists and 2x3 nurglings. The guy was a very good player (much better than I had expected) and had won two Spain tournaments with that list. I hadn't expected that level of competitiveness in this casual game but it was fun and I learned quite a lot, next time I play against him I will give a harder fight (and use a harder list...).

On the painting & sculpting side of the project I did start painting the horns of Magnus, but this happened:

med_gallery_92948_12550_246068.jpgmed_gallery_92948_12550_6879.jpeg

From the depths of the Warp something is coming... Something old... Something furious... What could it be? It's also pretty big:

med_gallery_92948_12550_336011.jpg

Who'll be the one to wield such a monstrous sword? I leave you to speculate about it...

And yes, I know, another project?! Well... I cannot help it, ideas flow through my head and I have to materialise them, I don't have enough time!!! :P

I would guess, either Abaddon the Armless, relieved from his armles life by Cypher, reborn as Daemon Lord and Champion of Chaos or....your Primarch^^

No to both :)! I have no intention of making a failbaddon model anytime soon and Virgultur will come later on this year, but not yet.

What the what!? You made some cacophony mold? That is righteous!

And something old, something furious? I am unsure but looking forward to seeing whatever it is.

The molds are not as cool as your take on the sonic weapons but I don't have the bits or time to do those if I want to make at least fifteen so the molds will have to suffice... :(

So, I won't unveil who the sword bearer is yet, but there's a new clue (probably not a very helpful one, but still a clue), it has the strenght to smash a terminator into the ground:

med_gallery_92948_12550_234920.jpgmed_gallery_92948_12550_528929.jpg

This will be the base for the upcoming model, it is a coffee pot lid with a bunch of rocks on it. The terminator is made of greenstuff except for the power fist, which is from some random loyalist box, and the shield, which is a press molded version of the one of Alexis Polux. Also it has some details added with greenstuff, like a cut on the shield or the fissures on the stone. At last all of the ground has Astrogranite texture paint from GW in different quantities and the rocks and the terminator have random splatters of it.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll have enough time to work on the model itself to the point that he's presentable, but until then you can keep guessing :P!!!

What Vairocanum said. Daemon prince sounds about right and with a monstrous sword Belakor is a top contender.

Was the terminator holding a shield? I can't tell if that is one like Pollux, the suzerains, or the custodes carry.

As for sonic weapons I only made two with a third one needed. As for the cacophony from FW I just got lucky someone was selling a huge bulk of them. If it wasnt for that my marines would be proxying their boltguns for sonic blasters making rock and roll sounds with their mouths whenever they would shoot. Having a mold for your own use is purely awesome.

Vairocanum, on 26 Feb 2017 - 11:44 PM, said:

Ooooh the sword is looking awesome! I'm guessing a daemon prince, maybe be'lakor? The dead terminator on the base is very promising too. Looking forward to the big reveal!

hushrong, on 27 Feb 2017 - 01:19 AM, said:

What Vairocanum said. Daemon prince sounds about right and with a monstrous sword Belakor is a top contender.

Was the terminator holding a shield? I can't tell if that is one like Pollux, the suzerains, or the custodes carry.

As for sonic weapons I only made two with a third one needed. As for the cacophony from FW I just got lucky someone was selling a huge bulk of them. If it wasnt for that my marines would be proxying their boltguns for sonic blasters making rock and roll sounds with their mouths whenever they would shoot. Having a mold for your own use is purely awesome.

So close! He is a daemon prince but he's not Be'Lakor... And yes, the shield is a mold of the one that Pollux has (a friend gave it to me because he wanted a copy for himself and I kept a test that went wrong for basing purposes).

He is Reus Ghortan, Death Lord of the First Sect, the Soul Eaters, in his daemon prince form! I've been itching to model a 40k version of one of my 30k characters for a while now (or the other way around) and with my recent interest in playing the Rehati War Sect and the Infernal Tetrard, which both involve several DP, I decided to start this project. I finished sculpting one mighty leg! :tongue.::

med_gallery_92948_12550_363834.jpgmed_gallery_92948_12550_96429.jpgmed_gallery_92948_12550_55381.jpg

The idea is for him to end up looking as similar as possible to this:

med_gallery_92948_12550_1128292.jpg

I'm not too sure about the big skull head, so any ideas on that topic would be great!

And wow, he's grown over ten millennia!

med_gallery_92948_12550_456370.jpg

I also finished sculpting the other side of his sword and made a plasticard skeleton of his skeletal wings (pun intended):

med_gallery_92948_12550_250450.jpgmed_gallery_92948_12550_78087.jpg

I've also tried the new sword to be as similar as possible to the original but with the daemonic runes (and the bigger size, of course ;)). I'm still thinking about names for it, any suggestions?

Right now he's not too impressive with his tinfoil arms and weird proportions, but I'm confident that he'll quickly improve once I start detailing the body itself. What do you think about him? Anything that you think that I should add or remove based on the paper sketch?

Nice detailing on the leg.

Thanks! Maybe it's a little too Word Bearers style, but I think a single model will pass...

So, I've spent quite some time this afternoon on him and, while he still has those pathetic tinfoil arms, at least now he has a much more defined shape:

med_gallery_92948_12550_175079.jpg med_gallery_92948_12550_189661.jpg

I'm not completely satisfied with the head, it doesn't look as menacing as it did in my original sketch... Well, there's still a lot of work to do on this guy, so maybe I'll return to it later on. Also I'm undecided about the gorget, should I leave it as it is o should I make it look like if it was protruding from a broken chestplate like in the sketch?

I know that the proportions are a little iffy and that he's too tall and thin, but I think that he's passable to be my first scratch built monster purely made from greenstuff and my third sculpted from scratch model at all (and he already looks quite better than the assassins...)!

I thought be'lakor cause you mentioned "ancient and angry." Who could be more ancient and more angry than be'lakor especially if he was summoned to fight under the Harvesters of Souls. The head and sculpted details on ghortan's leg look amazing! I can't quite place my finger on it but the "butt plate" looks a tad off? Not quite sure what it is maybe just cause the model is still WIP. Really looking forward to seeing more sculpting from  you!

Bro your Green stuff skills never cease to amaze I love what your doing with Reus he's coming along quite nicely the sculpting on armour and the sword is top notch. As for the Gorget I really like your idea of having it coming through a broken chest plate like perhaps a plate of demonic bone armour growing out of what was already there. I also think you're not quite as far off on your proportions as you think he looks a tad spindly as is but what once his armour is bulked out I think he'll be pretty spot on. keep up the awesome work brother I can't wait to see more.

Cheese and crackers! I was way off and that fella is huge and taking shape at a quick pace!

Fun side note I thought the head from his pelt was A.L.F.

Thanks, I wanted him to be bigger than a usual DP, being so important within my legion. Also will try for the final sculpted pelt to look more beast like, but I suppose that it's a good thing that it looks xenos ;)!

I thought be'lakor cause you mentioned "ancient and angry." Who could be more ancient and more angry than be'lakor especially if he was summoned to fight under the Harvesters of Souls. The head and sculpted details on ghortan's leg look amazing! I can't quite place my finger on it but the "butt plate" looks a tad off? Not quite sure what it is maybe just cause the model is still WIP. Really looking forward to seeing more sculpting from you!

Yup, Be'Lakor was actually a good guess, I might do him later on (when I don't have so many damn projects!). I did enlarge a bit the "butt plate" as it is true that it was looking too thin, but it still looks somehow wrong, maybe it's because it's inclined to a side... I hope that it won't be too noticeable once the model is finished.

Love him. Big is always bettah^^

Well, I don't know if always, but certainly a lot of the time :P!

Bro your Green stuff skills never cease to amaze I love what your doing with Reus he's coming along quite nicely the sculpting on armour and the sword is top notch. As for the Gorget I really like your idea of having it coming through a broken chest plate like perhaps a plate of demonic bone armour growing out of what was already there. I also think you're not quite as far off on your proportions as you think he looks a tad spindly as is but what once his armour is bulked out I think he'll be pretty spot on. keep up the awesome work brother I can't wait to see more.

Thanks a lot brother! I did the protruding gorget thing at the end, but will have to revisit it to make the broken shards sharper. About the proportions being better with more volume from the shoulders and back pack, that was my original thought, but you can already see that it's not quite right because of the chestplate, it is supposed to be based on a Mk IV but it's too long. I suppose that the Warp could be responsible ;)...

So, did some progress today, not as noticeable as yesterday, but details do take time! First off I don't know what pose would be better, with his sword looking outside (A) or inside (B):

A

med_gallery_92948_12550_423425.jpg

B

med_gallery_92948_12550_363904.jpg

What do you think? I like the A option a little bit more right now, but I don't know if it is too way out of the base (though the wings already are).

I also detailed his pauldron with a classic Harvester of Souls icon, finished the details of his head with more wires and some rivets, started making his backpack (it has no vents because wings will go there), bulked a bit the face to have more defined lines and at last did some fissures between the chestplate and the gorget to make it look like a mutation rather than a part of the original armour, as 30k Ghortan doesn't have it.

med_gallery_92948_12550_280927.jpgmed_gallery_92948_12550_512545.jpg

med_gallery_92948_12550_226190.jpgmed_gallery_92948_12550_221533.jpg

I don't think that tomorrow I'll have the time to work much on him, but Thursday will hopefully see his sword arm done and who knows what else (wait, shouldn't I know?).

Wow that's an ambitious project! Your greenstuf skills are certainly up to it.

Pose-wise and proportion-wise I do have some pointers:

- his abdomen is unusually long, and his head is just far too big. If you could lose half of the length of his abdomen, and his head would be 60% of what it is now, he'd have normal Human proportions.

- his right knee is overstretched. For balance alone, his knee needs to be bent ever so slightly, and in posing miniatures I've found that overdoing that is always better than not. Looks at space marines, who are practically squatting but still look realistic. Of course, that's down to their size, and this DP is larger, but still I think the right knee could do with a 165* angle, instead of the 185* it has now. :)

Love to see the progress! The detailing on that thing is very impressive! :tu:

Wow that's an ambitious project! Your greenstuf skills are certainly up to it.

Pose-wise and proportion-wise I do have some pointers:

- his abdomen is unusually long, and his head is just far too big. If you could lose half of the length of his abdomen, and his head would be 60% of what it is now, he'd have normal Human proportions.

- his right knee is overstretched. For balance alone, his knee needs to be bent ever so slightly, and in posing miniatures I've found that overdoing that is always better than not. Looks at space marines, who are practically squatting but still look realistic. Of course, that's down to their size, and this DP is larger, but still I think the right knee could do with a 165* angle, instead of the 185* it has now. :smile.:

Love to see the progress! The detailing on that thing is very impressive! :thumbsup:

Thanks brother! You're totally right about the abdomen overlength and that is what most annoys me the whole model, probably my biggest error on him (at least right now).

His head is too big too, but that is intentional, he's supposed to have this huge skull mask, I thought it would look cool because of all the DP conversions out there which use deflier heads. I actually like it, but it is true that it makes him look far too different from the original Ghortan model...

About the knee I hadn't realised it but now I can't stop seeing it :tongue.:!

So I even though I would like to, changing his abdomen would mean tearing the whole body appart, and bending the knee would be the same to the leg. As that would mean basically restarting most of the model, I fear he shall remain stretched and twisted, he's not just a creature of the Warp, but also only my third fully sculpted model after all! However I will surely take this into account for my next projects, thanks for illuminating me Augustus, how is the Space Wolves phrase in English? I admit my error and will be sure to correct it?

I'm actually more fond of option B, like you could have blood dripping back down onto the terminator. Love the cables!

I think I'll do something between the two options at the end, though I'm still very undecided. About the blood I'm not too sure if that would look good with the shiny runes it's going to paint... Maybe I could leave the runes in black and do it your way, the idea is sounding quite appealing right now I must admit. And the cables are done with the Tentacle Maker tool from Greenstuff World, this is the first model in which I've had the chance to try it out and it is amazing!

Coming along great!

Thanks a lot! Having your positive feedback is what keeps me going!

So I didn't have the time to make much progress on him, but some things have been made:

med_gallery_92948_12550_1898.jpgmed_gallery_92948_12550_108487.jpg

So I did sharpen a bit the broken chestplate around the gorget and retouched the faceplate even further. Also I made the first layer of the other leg, which is broken in the lower piece and has runes in the upper one, the other way around from his right leg. Additionally I cabled the back pack, having two cables going from his abdomen to his back instead of the usual "suspenders" and I added a spine portruding from it, which actually originates from the back of the head and goes through part of the back pack. At last, even though it doesn't shows on the images, I'm magnetising the wings, not because I want to be able to swap them (honestly I don't think I'll ever play him without wings) but because I want them to be easier to paint AND transport, as those thin plasticard and greenstuff bones would break too easily otherwise.

Anyway, I still don't know how to pose his sword, so feedback on that would be great!

If this is only your third sculpted miniature I take my hat off to you, good Sir! This is phenomenal work, which I would dream of to be able to do. Please continue doing this and developing your skills. Seeing as you're only a beginner and have already such quality of work, great things will be in store for you if you continue practicing and developing yours skills! :tu:

If this is only your third sculpted miniature I take my hat off to you, good Sir! This is phenomenal work, which I would dream of to be able to do. Please continue doing this and developing your skills. Seeing as you're only a beginner and have already such quality of work, great things will be in store for you if you continue practicing and developing yours skills! :thumbsup:

Well, only two of my assassins were fully sculpted and all of my conversions before had been based on an actual model, but I'm enjoying a lot being able to make models without the limitations that using pre-made parts imply, even though the final result and quality of detail isn't as good. Thanks for the high praise, it means a lot coming from such a great hobbyists as you!

Ghortan is shaping up nicely! I think the "butt plate" needs to be a little bit wider. The cracked effects on the leg look great! Looking forward to seeing more!

Thanks brother! Maybe you're right and I should enlarge it more, but I think that the problem comes from the thin hips, which aren't the usual Space marine proportions.

So so after a pretty busy weekend I haven't been able to get much work done, but I did advance on a couple of things:

gallery_92948_12550_542526.jpg

Basically I sculpted the pelt, which I'm not too happy about; detailed the leg, and did the base of the arm which is holding the sword:

med_gallery_92948_12550_387634.jpgmed_gallery_92948_12550_381842.jpg

I don't like a lot the effect I've got in the fur of the pelt, it looks more like scales than actual hair and, while it was supposed to be a giant wolf it actually looks like a bear or even a mutated pangolin... Should I carve it out and start again or is it passable enough? The other option I've thought of is adding horns and bigger scales and calling it a Warp beast...

On the other hand I think that the leg looks good enough even though it's a bit wider than the other.

At last the I think that I got the right arm proportions and the pose of the sword, but I still have details to add. I'm also thinking of connecting the sword to the back pack by adding cables from the end of the hilt as the original Ghortan, do you think that it would look good or should I pass?

Also I played a game yesterday testing the Infernal Tetrard and I managed to win 13-10 a Tau+Eldar list with jet bikes, warp spiders, crisis suits with Shadowsun, a riptide and broadsides. It was a hard game and the four of my princes were dead by turn four (a prince died each turn, including the one with Cursed Earth on the first one), but I had Tzeentch Heralds zooming around in a Disk picking up objectives and sometimes even summoning flamers which handled me the victory. What does this mean? I might have to sculpt more Damon Princes :tongue.:!

I think that the pelt looks fine as is, but the warp beast idea does seem very interesting. While the original Ghortan had cables running to the backpack I'm leaning on the side of not including them. One possible idea could be to connect the sword to the arm through daemonic tendrils to make it seem like a cursed sword? Looking forward to seeing the wings done!

Wow absolutely amazing work brother your sculpting skills never cease to impress. Ghortan is coming along amazingly the only nitpick I really have is the pelt. Imho I think you should go the warp beast route I think it could definitely add some flavor plus at the point this fella is in his killing things career I imagine he'd have much more impressive trophies than a wolf but that could just be me. For realz tho man you've gotta quit coming up with so many awesome ideas I can't look at your thread without wanting to copy something you've done lol. On a side note though do you use a tentacle maker for your cables? if not what's your secret they look amazing. Keep up the awesome work man can't wait to see this fella painted.

Archived