IA - The "Black" Legion

bluntblade

Sometimes I like to flex my vocabulary muscles.

But yeah, I'd say black and silver as opposed to the Black Legion's black and gold. 1. Silver is seen as the "opposite" or complement to gold, 2. Gold sums up the themes of the canon BL: a regal fury, a sense of grandeur and superiority. Meanwhile silver can represent the slightly different approach of Icarion's "followers" (in the sense that they want to destroy the Imperium): subtle, cold fury, elegance, mystique; a legion of sinister warriors.

At least, this is what I gather from my impressions of the Harbingers vs. the Sons of Horus.

I'm also fine with Black, but the Canon black legion doesn't always have gold trim - abaddon's own contingent, the core of the black legion, always have gold (and that was gw's ultra equivalent) but other contingents are just as likely to have silver, white, bone, rainbows... abaddon's only rule is you replace your old colours with Black, and your old heraldry with the chaos Eye

On the other hand, we would probably want to change the name: how about Black Host?

I have no voting right in this regard, but I had an idea while reading through your points:

Black and Silver could work really well, to mirror the canon Black Legion, but still be different. (Especially with gold being THE color of the Emperor and the Imperial Aquila)

...and there could be a way for you to differentiate it from (canon) black color schemes.

Your (Black) Legion Astartes will mostly wear their old, pre-heresy armors - just painted black, with optional chaosy trim or corruption - because they have to make-do with what they have and is available, correct?

Now why not show that when painting battle damage (especially on the "poorer" rank-and-file Marines)?

Similiar to FW's 30k Blackshields, let "old" Legion colors shine through the black layer here and there on some armor parts. Or where the armor is damaged, not only the bare ceramite is visible, but chipped, old paint at the edges, too.

Another thing to differentiate between "specialization" among the Legionnaires, as to who is their favourite god (but not for full plague marines or somesuch)

Use the silvery metal trim as an indicator.

Blood? Khorne, obviously.

Rust and Grime? Nurgle.

Shining, colorful, bright silver with sweaty glaze? Slaneesh

Blue shimmer, a rune flashing here and there, fine ley-lines? Tzeentch.

Just... some random ideas.

I seem to recall the Dornian Heresy deciding that Sigismund the Inheritor wouldn't take up the mantle of Warmaster, as it belonged to the arch-loyalist. Whether that was the case or not, I feel Raiden will feel the same way. How does Generalissimo of Chaos sound?

Why not call himself Master?

Master of Chaos, Master of the Armies of the true Empire.

Master us always good. (But I would like Shogun oder Daimyo-> could have been an title of honor on madrigal for him and he simply repurposed the term)

About fancy names: the emperor of japan gave himself fancy modern names after 1868 and during WW2. Maybe there is something to find.

Edited by MikhalLeNoir

I'd humbly suggest you look for a title that isn't so well-known. It breaks suspension of disbelief immediately. The reason why titles like "hetman" work so well despite being directly copy/pasted from our history is because they're not well-known. 

Also, using Shogun, Daimyo, or any other oft-used name comes across as being a tad lazy.

I'd actually recommend steering away from something to culturally conotated, since it's attributed to the leader of a force of diverse backgrounds - I can't see a Berserker of Uran or an Eagle Warrior bowing to a "Shogun", a "Daimyo" or a "Hetman". On the other hand, I would have no problem with a term from "low gothic" or "high gothic".

Autocrat? Arch-[something] like Archroy, Archmarshal?

I'd humbly suggest you look for a title that isn't so well-known. It breaks suspension of disbelief immediately. The reason why titles like "hetman" work so well despite being directly copy/pasted from our history is because they're not well-known. 

Also, using Shogun, Daimyo, or any other oft-used name comes across as being a tad lazy.

A good point.