IA - The "Black" Legion

bluntblade

Do we have a rival for Raiden? Since Redd is our Sigismund equivalent, I was thinking that automatically at first, but storywise it doesn't make much sense; Other than both being the best Astartes of Chaos and the Imperium. Regarding the story though I would think one of the Warmaster's own makes more sense.

I'd substitute "mightiest" for "best" where Sigismund is concerned. I'm inclined to see how things develop over the course of the Insurrection, but as of now I'd say a Halcyon Warden would be the most logical choice, perhaps too much so.

Well, Raiden is the one leading Harbingers on Terra, while Icarion tries to hold Madrigal together before escaping into the Webway to make his all or nothing attack on the Emperor/Alex. 

One of the things I liked best about the Sigismund vs Abaddon rivalry was that Sigismund was desperate to seek out his former friend on Terra during the siege but failing to do so setting the stage for their fated duel centuries later.

SO I guess there are two ways to play it. The Loyalist rival could be from a Legion assaulting Madrigal at the End expecting Raiden, and of course finding out that he's not there.

Or

The other Option is that the Rival is on Terra and they just never meet. I tend to like the former.

Maybe a member of the Steel Legion.

Usually clinging to logic, efficiency and rationalism, the leader could have developed a close friendship to Athrawes, which would be the last bit of his irrational part of being human. Because of the betrayal, the leaders emotions and humaneness take over, leading to his separation from the legions network by his own will.

Something like an post Istvaan Iron Hand-ish / Kardan Stronos-ish guy, who seeks vengeance on Athrawes, becoming a renowned but still obsessed leader amongst the offense against Madrigal.

Edited by Kelborn

The Warriors would likely be close to the Lightning Bearers, since they share similar cultures. It could make for an interesting rivalry, though I don't have any established characters in mind that would fit.

Admiral Guan might be an interesting option...I've only written the one story for him but I've already kind of worked out his character...it could almost be a reflection of the competing cultures of Japan and China.

Yeah, I could see Ju-Long or Guan being good choices.

Ju-Long would be interesting since I planned for him to become a blackshield not long into the Insurrection, who then joins back with the Warriors for the Siege of Madrigal. Having a rival in Raiden could be a good motivation for his return.

Guan would also make sense, being essentially an exemplar of the Warriors, and their greatest swordsman. He'd be the one likely to be friends with Raiden, and seeing it as his personal duty to kill him could be a nice tragic moment.

@Mikhal, yeah I figured you meant him. While he is an intimidating character, with a sizable role within the legion, I don't think he'd concern himself with rivalries. He's content to keeping his warriors on track, and maintaining the discipline of the Legion.

• 6 months later...

Something else we should do is plant the seeds for the Chaos champions, like Lucius, Typhus, etc. While I intend for our Daemon Primarchs to take more breaks from the Great Game, it still takes a huge investment to successfully manifest one of them.

In contrast, the Chaos champions can strike far more often.

One of them could be the jolly, honour-obsessed slayer I created awhile ago.

The Nurgle champion can't be from the Godslayers since they all become mindless zombies.

We can have the champions come from the Insurgos instead of just from the Traitor Legions.

From what I've read, the closest thing I'd call a chaos Dreadnaught champion would be Malcharion.

He was a master tactician and a venerated member of the VIIIth Legion, especially of the 10th company aka the Exalted's warband aka Talos' pals.

Eh, still not a fan of the idea but am open to persuasion.

Anyway, does anyone have actual candidates to suggest? I think the Slaanesh Champion (Arch-champion) should come from the Drowned.

For Tzeentch, I'm thinking of either a Predator or a member of the Ember Host.

Nurgle, I'm not sure.

Khorne, the Jolly Slayer, I think I made him a Warbringer?