+ Index Astartes: Sanguine Gargoyles +

Fenrykus

Of course. But does that mean other Chapters can't have small forces spread throughout the Imperium? I was under the impression that several others did (obviously not to the extent of the Black Templars, but they were the best example I could think of). I'm not trying to force my views, I'm just trying to figure out what would be the best course for my Gargoyles. After reading up in the Astartes Praeses, I really like the idea of them being a part of that.

Edited by Brother Mikael

I don't see why distance would matter; the Black Templars are spread all over the Imperium. And the Tau Empire was just an example of a possible front my Chapter to be on.

The Black Templars are *the* exception which proves the rule.

Well, the Subjugators do something similar, so I'm not against the idea per se, I just want to hear the reasoning behind.

~ NightrawenII

The problem with them being spread out is that they will be spread thin. It wouldn't hurt too bad to have one or two squads out at a time, or a very small amount doing a campaign on the other side of the Galaxy, but the majority of the chapter needs to be within a few sectors of each other.

Also, I'm not personally keen on the getting recruits from Baal part, at any time.

In my opinion, other than maybe some small interaction examples to show the contrasts between your chapter and theirs, major chapters should be left out of these things. This makes it so you aren't tied to their lore, and detatches it enough that we won't go, "wait, why would that not be mentioned? That's pretty big."

It takes away from your chapter's agency. Personally I think you should leave it at your clarification, they only recruit from a world they save. And I think you should take Baal out. The Blood Angels don't need you patrolling that region, and it is a HUGE waste of Imperial resources for something so redundant and unnecessary.

Also, chapter command only meeting every decade would spell disaster for the chapter. Communication and decision making is incredibly important for military forces. At a minimum there needs to be something at least once a year.

If I'm correct, you want a gargoyle type theme? What other themes do you want?

Keep in mind, making them diverge just to diverge doesn't make it more interesting (not being a codex chapter, for example, doesn't make them more interesting, though it seems in this case it's explained by having taken so many casualties). What makes them interesting is their personality, their interactions, why they are different.

Edited by Arkangilos

I don't see why distance would matter; the Black Templars are spread all over the Imperium. And the Tau Empire was just an example of a possible front my Chapter to be on.

The Black Templars are *the* exception which proves the rule.

Well, the Subjugators do something similar, so I'm not against the idea per se, I just want to hear the reasoning behind.

~ NightrawenII

The problem with them being spread out is that they will be spread thin. It wouldn't hurt too bad to have one or two squads out at a time, or a very small amount doing a campaign on the other side of the Galaxy, but the majority of the chapter needs to be within a few sectors of each other.

Fair points. Thanks for the opinions.

Also, I'm not personally keen on the getting recruits from Baal part, at any time.

In my opinion, other than maybe some small interaction examples to show the contrasts between your chapter and theirs, major chapters should be left out of these things. This makes it so you aren't tied to their lore, and detatches it enough that we won't go, "wait, why would that not be mentioned? That's pretty big."

It takes away from your chapter's agency. Personally I think you should leave it at your clarification, they only recruit from a world they save. And I think you should take Baal out. The Blood Angels don't need you patrolling that region, and it is a HUGE waste of Imperial resources for something so redundant and unnecessary.

Also, chapter command only meeting every decade would spell disaster for the chapter. Communication and decision making is incredibly important for military forces. At a minimum there needs to be something at least once a year.

If I'm correct, you want a gargoyle type theme? What other themes do you want?

Keep in mind, making them diverge just to diverge doesn't make it more interesting (not being a codex chapter, for example, doesn't make them more interesting, though it seems in this case it's explained by having taken so many casualties). What makes them interesting is their personality, their interactions, why they are different.

I have actually been thinking a lot about the whole Baal thing, and will be removing it entirely. I'm also going to probably have them recruit solely from fuedal/feral/death worlds that they save, leaving any other planets alone (as far as recruiting goes).

Regarding the chapter command meeting, that was an idea I realized I needed to fix, I just haven't gotten to it yet. But thanks for reminding me.

I'm not really sure about any other themes at the moment, and I'm not even going for an overtly gargoyle theme, other than the chapter's purpose. Perhaps a phantom-esque kind of thing? They appear out of the darkness, swiftly striking at their enemy, and then retreat back into the shadows just as quickly when the battle is over. And because of the types of planets they recruit from, and how they go about doing so, they've become the basis of numerous myths and legends on those worlds.

One of the biggest reasons the chapter is divergent is because they've become a "crusading" chapter. With no singular base of operations, it's easier to keep their forces at fighting strength by having larger, if fewer, companies. And the casualties lost to the Black Rage do indeed play into this.

Again, thanks for the critiques, they're helping me develop and refine my ideas for the Sanguine Gargoyles, and I appreciate the feedback.

Have you considered having them straight up kid napping the ones that would be potential recruits?

Like, they mostly attack at night. The population never really see them. Then, once the victory is achieved the population still doesn't really know who saved them, but realize that a lot of their children have also turned up gone.

+just some suggestions to offer thoughts out of the box, feel free to disregard them all, I'm not trying to force them+

If you do it more like a "cycle" like day and night for the campaigns it could add character. Basically what I'm thinking is like cartoon where the gargoyles only woke up at night. So there would be a "night cycle" in which the chapter actively actively campaigns, and the day cycle where it returns and recovers. At the beginning of every "night" cycle, the coven convenes and determines what to do, and then the companies are sent out to do it (in this case based on your chapter, as crusading fleets). During the cycle they fight until the cycle is up, then they vanish with the kids, and the chapter solely focuses on rebuilding. They still have a homeworld (could be next to the eye). And that's where they return.

This could prove to be incredibly frustrating to allied commanders.

Of course there would be times of emergency when they would campaign outside of the "night" cycle.

I say "night" because I don't mean literal night. (Unless of course their homeworld turns so slow the night time their fortress monestary experiences is long enough for said campaign).

But I do like the idea of your chapter fighting battles mostly at night when actually on a planet.

Anyways, I think I said and offer led way too much, so I'm sorry. I can get pretty overbearing and opinionated, which is quite a negative flaw of mine, lol. I don't mean to take away from your creativity.