Prot

Thanks for the sage advice on the base colours, that'd really make the black really look...er... black! I really like your "new method" DW bases with the boulders, which look more like stone than the often used cork. I think I'll try either a crushed cinderblock or terracotta look. I've been chipping away at a fairly large force that I've put together based on opinions here and put photos of the few squads I've finished in a gallery here, your squads are definitely an inspiration.

Yeah, mixing / matching / kitbashing is my favourite part of the Deathwatch! I also prefer helmets (both for "realism" and because I -hate- painting eyes) but being able to add a little personality to each marine makes this the best army (despite any of their strategic shortcomings).

@Silas7: WYSIWYG is definitely something to shoot for, but there's also the rule of cool! Maybe try to make sure their "primary" weapon is always right (bolter / shotgun / melta...) but treat the "offhand" leniently?

I am continuing with some new techniques trying to squeeze a better appearance out of the army.

This isn't 100% done but very very close. There is a shine on the models that would be gone with the finishing spray, but it's unavoidable with the glaze/wash I've created.

gallery_2760_12376_55729.jpg

gallery_2760_12376_49674.jpg

gallery_2760_12376_73143.jpg

I'm going to be honest I really don't know if the results are conveyed.... or are basically worth the amount of time put into each fig.

The results in the pictures do convey the depth which is nice

Is it worth it - These things are personal projects my TH/SS guy Brynjar has been out and about maybe only a couple of times since I painted him but he still excites me when I put him down on the table (even if he only lasts the briefest of moments).

​I've been sidetracked of late so this is a nice reminder that I need to get back on track and paint some more squads up, just finished 2 squads of SOS will probably add them to my Deathwatch Log as they don't have a Home at the moment.

Really like the gleam/glow effect on the equipment and armour.

I personally prefer highlights to be darker/less noticeable, but I think it works in this case since it's fading out rather than just a clean highlight.

Thank you. I know what you mean. I did a zillion Black Templars back in the day.

This is very old (probably my second generation Black Templars stuff back when I moderated that forum:)

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/Protilious/New%20Templar/BrotherNomak.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y6/Protilious/New%20Templar/BTFistSrg1.jpg

This is before I started airbrushing zenithal highlights. The problem I found was looking at these guys SUPER close (realistically all of these pictures are much larger than the actual models) gave me a sense of them 'popping' nicely. Then I put them on the table with 30-40 other black marines and they just kind of faded into the table top.

Those "new method" Deathwatch look great!

You're really hitting those high-point highlights instead of the stock GW lines on every edge of every armor piece style... are you using a gloss wash? 

The results are sharp and stylish  but is it actually saving you any time? ;)

Thanks for adding more idea fuel to the fire!

Those "new method" Deathwatch look great!

You're really hitting those high-point highlights instead of the stock GW lines on every edge of every armor piece style... are you using a gloss wash? 

Well I'm using a lot of stuff right now. You know how it goes... you start with a colour or two, then it becomes a 'blend', next you're adding washes, and glosses... until you have this silly recipe that looks like a Frankenstein concoction.

I am doing watered down grey, then watered down Fenrisian Grey, then watered down Ulthran grey over the airbrush highlights.

I bring it 'down' with a palette of P3 Blue ink, + Nuln oil Gloss (the wash is too strong).

I bring the final product up with edge highlighting of pure Ulthran grey and try to make it look somewhat natural.

The results are sharp and stylish  but is it actually saving you any time? :wink:

You're pretty much suggesting what I'm thinking.... I'm absolutely not saving any time. It's far more labour intensive at this point than any Deathwatch I've done to date. These 5 guys in total took longer than most of the non character Thousand Sons I've done.

Frankly I'm not sure how far I'll go with the project. The end result is very time consuming for a negligible appearance effect.

I've just come to the conclusion over the last 3 years or so that I like playable armies on the table. I used to spend horrific amounts of time on models and VERY rarely reach 1500 points.

I think this new edition of Deathwatch would take me several months to put on the table, and I really am not convinced it holds a candle to my more colourful stuff.

Thank you for checking it out!

Very nice stuff Prot. I especially like the elbow pad on the CF with the shotgun. When you first look at it it looks like it would be WAY too bright, but when you take in the whole model, it blends together nicely.

Thank you. I think another factor here is the sheen is a little on the high side until I bring it down with the dull coat. I hopefully will have finished pics later... but not tonight as I have a few games lined up!

Hopefully it comes together. I think I'm done with major recipe changes. I may have minor tweaks if I continue with this but we'll see. :)

Greetings

See, on one level I really like to see a thread with brilliantly-painted models, but on the other it reminds me how much worse my own efforts are...

No way man.. you can do this. It's just time and technique. I guarantee you can do this. ;)

• 1 year later...

So... how crazy late is this update? lol

Well to be fair it's taken me months to reconfigure how I want my blacks to look on the armour. I did a lot of experimenting that I simply threw out. 

prots-limited-deathwatch-capt-front-3.jp

Here's a few more pics of the models I did:

Prot's Blog Gallery (Captain/Watchmaster/Inceptor)

Lovely work, Prot!  You have an amazing grasp of skin tones (even at a small scale) and your colour choices, as always, are designed to attract one's gaze to the components you want to emphasize.  In this case, I feel like the slightly brighter red makes the Grenade Fist and Storm Bolter "pop", while the subtler blues on the right shoulderpad, carapace "light" and basing provide a stunning contrast (at least, I think it's contrast).  Can we get a few more shots from other angles for a better appreciation of your OSL work? :)