Prot

You do some seriously awesome battle-damage!

Do you have a rule of thumb when adding those final details? I find they either look too sparse and incidental or totally excessive... striking that sweet spot of "wear and tear" is tough.

Thank you! Often after doing the battle damage I just go back to it and if it's too much, I reduce it, if it needs more... I add to it.

These pictures are obviously pretty enlarged and seeing them at scale, on a table, you lose a ton of the detail. So I actually starting adding stronger, and stronger contrasts or else this army can just disappear into the table.

Lovely work, Prot!  You have an amazing grasp of skin tones (even at a small scale) and your colour choices, as always, are designed to attract one's gaze to the components you want to emphasize.  In this case, I feel like the slightly brighter red makes the Grenade Fist and Storm Bolter "pop", while the subtler blues on the right shoulderpad, carapace "light" and basing provide a stunning contrast (at least, I think it's contrast).  Can we get a few more shots from other angles for a better appreciation of your OSL work? :smile.:

Thanks a lot. I've done two fairly simple tutorials on the skin tones I use (two methods). I do think it's pretty easy once someone tells you the spectrum of colours they use. 

I'm just hotlinking the Blog post I did for the Watchmaster so you can see a touch more of OSL on him:

prots-watchmaster-front-2.jpg

Just keep in mind how blown up this pic is. :D

I started doing this more for characters in armies that have a kind of monochromatic look.... Like my newest Trajann Valoris:

Trajann has the same principle applied without the battle damage, and a bit brighter because of the metallics:

prot40k-valoris.jpg

More of Trajann:

https://prot40k.blog/2018/06/18/hobby-update-custodes-ii-valoris-completed-and-death-guard-depart/

How I paint faces:

First method using glazing.

Second method:

using airbrush paints

Haha I wouldn't say it if I didn't genuinely feel that way.  We've got some really talented folks around here and some of the advanced techniques I see frankly blow my mind.  It's what shows the strong contrast between "technically proficient" painting and genuine talent and dedication.  Some day I hope to override my laziness enough to attempt such things :P

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Alright guys... this Kill Team stuff has me doing a LOT of models. I have a lot in progress but really fleshed out a lot of my Kill Team with new models. I've done a large picture update on the blog but here's a peak:

My new leader:

Wes Zakeil
kt-leader-1.jpg

The current team roster for a campaign:

kill-team-dw.jpg?w=928&h=322

Ravenguard brothers Duz and Race lay out their plans vs. the Orks:

best-laid-plans-vs-orks.jpg?w=860

And Brother Honda of Black Templars has... a simpler approach:

best-laid-plans-vs-orks-2.jpg?w=860

More pics at the blog post:

http://prot40k.blog/2018/09/06/more-deathwatch-more-kill-team-no-more-orks-please/

Thank you very much for checking it out guys.

I hope to do a larger update/review on the Deathwatch box set as I play more and more games with it.

As far as the painting, I appreciate the compliments. This is my second go around with a large Deathwatch army. I learned a lot since the codex released (in 7th) about how I like my blacks to look and I picked up some tricks. I've had a lot of people ask me how I'm doing this so I'm putting together a fairly straight forward step by step so you can see the transition of colours and hopefully decide yourself if it's something you want to try out.

Thank you. :tu:

• 2 weeks later...

Just a couple of updates to the army with some larger pieces I've had lingering in the background:

First up a new Corvus Blackstar:

corvus-blackstar2.jpg?w=860

Then some support for the ground pounders:

repulsor-rhino-side.jpg?w=860

And even some Reivers:

prots-reivers.jpg?w=860

I finally painted a new Artemis as well:

artemis.jpg

More pics on the Blog: http://prot40k.blog/2018/09/17/hobby-update-deathwatch-vehicles-and-reivers/

Great Stuff!

Your work always has such smooth transitions but bold enough highlights that they still pop out on the tabletop, which can be a difficult balance to attain. Really looking forward to getting a copy of those recipes... ;)