Starting out 40k - Ad Mech Agripinaa color scheme

Makin

Hello dear fellows!

Long-tme lurker here. I've had a hard time (for almost 10 yeas) deciding an army. So I'll wait a bit more with Age of Sigmar because I want to start nurgle in Fantasy. 

But in 40k I've made my choice I really like Ad Mech. 

So my plan is is to get a Start Collecting box and paint then in Agripinaa colors.

I just have some questions:

1. Is ad mech good idea for someone who is just starting out with a hobby in terms of painting, not gaming?

2. So I checked the how to paint Ad Mech book , there are color schemes, but no tips on which paint to use. Can you guys recommend me how to paint cloaks in Agripinaa greyish colors? 

3. Is it good idea to not use a default color scheme for the first army?

Welcome to the B&C Makin :D You've certainly spent a lot of time making the right army decision, so I guess with a streak like that the AdMech was the inevitable result ;) The Start Collecting boxes are a great way to start and the Skitarii can boast the best - great value and models you will want/need :tu:

I can't help with the colour selection, but picking an established army's scheme or creating a DIY is entirely up to you there's no real difference when it comes to being a beginner. Some may find not having to pick colours easier, others would prefer to choose their own :) The AdMech models are quite detailed which is good, enables you to make good use of washes which are a great boon to novice and expert painters alike. They can be a bit fiddly in place due to the detail but this is easily solved by not fully assembling the models before painting.

If you're after more detailed painting help the Forge would be worth a visit, I hope to see your army WIP get going here soon :tu:

Welcome to the forums, Makin! Lord Commissar WarriorFish speaks wisdom, but I'll throw in a few additional thoughts here. happy.png

AdMech is a bit of a challenging prospect hobby wise, but not in terms of assembly or conversions. Most of the challenge you'll find is the small details and fiddly, "hidden" parts (such as what will be obscured by the cloaks). In this respect, I highly recommend painting your models from the inside out! By this I mean paint inside the cloak first, as well as the legs/torsos to make getting clean results much easier. Take a look at the WarhammerTV video for painting Skitarii Rangers (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vLsteSBHEcM) for more details.

As for the Agripinaa paint scheme, it looks pretty similar to the one I used for my Forgeworld. I'm assuming you'll want to start with Citadel Paints, though if you don't want to use them look for an "equivalent" chart for the GW colours I'll be using. For the outside of the cloak, I'd recommend Dawnstone for the basecoat with a Nuln Oil wash and a drybrush of Dawnstone to brighten the colour back up, followed by an edge highlight with Administratum Grey. You should see these techniques used in the WHTV video, above. The inside should be relatively simple, just basecoat with Doombull Brown, do an Agrax Earthshade wash, layer with Ushabti Bone then finish with a highlight of Screaming Skull to get that nice cream colour.

I for one don't consider any colour choice bad for any army, as long as you commit to painting it and stick with it to the end! In my book, the only wrong colour scheme is one you don't enjoy painting or looking at, but it's not a bad idea at all to model your paint scheme on one from a book. I find that many of my projects end up being a bit of "paint by numbers" on the Games Workshop schemes, though I throw in enough of my own touches to still make it something special anyway. Doing an odd conversion here, some fun basing work there or adding accents to your characters or vehicles are all ways to bring your personality into your army.

In the end, just have fun! Once again, welcome to AdMech and I hope you enjoy our forums! cool.png

Vel'Cona what a nice surprise you also using this similar scheme. Thank you very much for giving exact names of colors, going to try it out!

To be honest I'm a bit overwhelmed right now and painting by numbers would be really good .

Right on, I look forward to seeing what results you get. If it helps with motivation, start a WIP thread in here (or on the WIP forum) to show us your progress! smile.png

Archived